Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Proteus Jones posted:

Just to throw a little gas on the fire:

Cake gives an absolutely fantastic live show (they did a 15 minute jam cover of War Pigs at one show). They are by far my favorite band and the fact you are skipping them tells me this guy is super cereal The One for you.

Saw them again this year and I don’t know how but they sound better live than on albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Swallow a sip of a carbonated beverage.
Immediately throw your head back, open your mouth wide, and hold the tip of your tongue up high far behind your front teeth.
Through the miracle of salivary glands, you can pretend that you're the dinosaur that blinded Wayne Knight in Jurassic Park.

Admittedly something I figured out as a child, but still fun to do as a fully grown adult.

This is called gleeking (gleaking?) and some people can do it on command sans soda. One of my friends can shoot like 6 feet or more.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My Shoes posted:

I only know it works with iphone but if you have the awful app and you go to write a text, the awful app icon will pop up in your scroll bar below the line where you type your text (along with all other applicable apps like youtube, photos, itunes, etc). If you just click on that awful app icon there all the smilies pop up. :)

I just did this and holy gently caress thank you. Now I can be an even bigger weirdo to all my coworkers and friends.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

In Portuguese, elk is “alce”, and moose is “alce americano”, or American elk. Problem solved.

I was in main a couple of decades ago with my friend and his family who were birthed from those northern woods, going up a side tributary of the many rivers that fed into Lake Ambajejus in a small aluminum fishing boat, when all of a sudden from the brush on the riverbank, there materialized a moose calf. My friend’s stepdad immediately silently freaked out because he knew there had to be a cow around and if we got anywhere near her baby we’d all be trampled in quick fashion. They’re beautiful but scary when you come across them suddenly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are already american elk that are a different thing from moose, hence the confusion

Ah yes but in Portuguese those would just be “veado grande”, or big deer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

zedprime posted:

Have you ever played red light green light?

Sometimes you gotta grind that pepper

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I love Tom Waits. Seeing him in movies is always one of the most rewarding little moments in a film. His voice is amazing and his acting is also top-notch.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought "Funkytown" was two separate songs for a while. Let me explain: you don't often hear the song in its entirety unless you make a point of seeking it out. You usually hear a snippet from it, either the instrumental bit at the beginning or the chorus containing the title drop. Those two parts don't really sound a whole lot alike, so when I told someone I was looking for the song that goes [vocal recreation of the instrumental part] and was told, oh, that's "Funkytown," I was sure that the other person was mistaken. No, I know how "Funkytown" goes, it's [vocal recreation of the strings and whatnot in the chorus].

I don't remember when I finally heard the song in its entirety - this was way before you could pretty much pull up any song instantly, from anywhere you were - but I was like well I'll be damned, it was all "Funkytown" all along.

Long time ago, but I had a similar experience with “Layla” by Derek and the Dominos for a long time. The piano section is so out of place and contrasting with the beginning of the song that when I was younger I’d just think they always played these two same songs back to back all the time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

tight aspirations posted:

It has taken me almost thirty years to recognise the pun in Candyman re: Helen Lyle.

You’re gonna have to explain this one. I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times and I don’t know what the pun is.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Thank you for explaining, I spent far too long saying “Helen Lyle” out loud and all I got was a strange look from my cat.

Yeah similarly I said it so many times in my head that it began to lose all meaning.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I knew that corned beef was tinned meat but I'd never bothered to find out how it got its name

It’s not necessarily tinned. It’s just salt beef. You can buy an entire corned beef brisket sans tin, for example.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Brawnfire posted:

Now you can say it in a Buster Bluth voice

Sister mother?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

In a wonderful bit of irony, my last name means “Church Party”, and our family coat of arms is a white church with a red roof on a green foreground and blue sky.

I’m Jewish.

My dad’s family is German Protestant, so he converted to marry my mom, whose family is ashkenazi

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Prurient Squid posted:

The line in the Bloodhound Gang song The Bad Touch

"Yes I'm Sisko, yes I'm Ebert and you're getting two thumbs up".

The "two thumbs up" bit is probably a sex thing. Not just a compliment.

I just found out some people don’t know who Gene Siskel is.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 16-year-old son refused to learn to properly read music when he was younger, but he’s a very skilled musician who can play multiple instruments. Occasionally he comes up with a music theory lightbulb moment on his own and I am like “maybe you should actually learn the theory and become even more versatile” But alas. He is a teenager.

He really didn’t like HS band after a while because he didn’t like just playing band music with no rhyme or reason. He much prefers just jamming for hours.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Brawnfire posted:

Say, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

They're a little melty but, drat, are they exquisite

*Wink and smile*

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a really minor one but the lyrics in The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York aren't "Got on a lucky one, came in at ten-to-one" but "Came in eighteen-to-one"

That even luckier!

One of my favorite songs of all time.

I can’t believe people use that song as a feel-good Christmas song lol

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Instant weight savings! Bones are heavy!

I’m slowly replacing my bones with metal so that’s a zero-sum proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Silver Falcon posted:

It's early and my brain isn't working. What am I supposed to see here?

The words spell a phrase

F-U-C-K me