Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dr_Amazing posted:

The moon is bigger than Pluto.

Our moon is the fifth biggest moon in the solar system! Behind Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, and Io.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

All two-body systems are binary :spergin:

The usage being, in this case, that instead of Charon being Pluto's moon, they would both be considered dwarf planets circling each other. Neither is a moon of the other; they're equals.

Also by several metrics, technically the Earth and Moon should be a binary system as well!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

In The Lion King, when Scar says "I was next in line, until the little hairball was born" he's not contradicting his previous statement about not being there for Simba's presentation. He means he was next in line for succession.

Only took me 21 years...

Dude, I got that when the movie first came out, and I was loving ten!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The other day I just realized that the snack food Snapea Crisps- made of dried peas or some poo poo with spices, is not pronounced "snap-ee-uh crisps." It's SNAP PEA crisps. Ya know, because they contain snap peas. :doh:

I've never bought any; I just see them in passing at the market, but my brain never parsed the name correctly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well today I just figured out I'm "culturally isolated," according to that article. I know the song; my little brother was big into Eminem back in the '00s, but I was completely unaware of the wider meaning until now. I've never seen that word used that way. :psyduck:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Just found out what mailbox flags are for.

My first thought was to wonder how but then I realized, in addition to what Proteus Jones said, people who grow up in apartments probably legitimately don't know either. The mailboxes at our appartment complex don't have any flags, and if you were just posting something from a Post Office box, you just drop it in. It doesn't have a flag either.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Covski posted:

Today I learned the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians was based on a book.

It says that in the opening credits of the movie. :eng101: I saw the book once at my school library, but I never picked it up.

Freudian posted:

There's a sequel where all the humans fall into comas and they have to go to Downing Street to ask the Prime Minister's dog what's going on. Turns out aliens from Sirius, the Dog Star, have arrived to give all the dogs a lift off the planet before humans start nuclear war.

And I am astounded that Disney didn't draw on this at all for the awful sequel to the live action remake (which was also bad because the dogs didn't talk).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Phy posted:

When I lived farther north than I do now, we'd put tinfoil on our windows in the summer to completely block out the sun. Gotta sleep somehow.

When I was in high school, my family took a vacation to Alaska one summer. All the hotels and whatnot we stayed at had blackout curtains in the rooms. Draw them at night, and BOOM pitch black while you sleep. It was really bizarre walking around Anchorage, suddenly realizing "Gee I'm really tired, I wonder what time it is. Holy poo poo it's 10pm!" It was still broad daylight.

Strange place.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

No advanced technology works during the phantom hour, it is the price we have accepted as a society for shunning the sequence of time mandated by the old gods

OK hit me. I am ready for my new thing I can't believe I just figured out: what's the phantom hour? Is it like the witching hour?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

rydiafan posted:

From context I assume it's the hour we have twice because of Daylight Savings.

Or the hour we skip.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. I grew up in the one state in my country that doesn't do Daylight Savings (Arizona), so I don't often think of the broader implications, even though I'm fairly used to changing the clock by now.

I still think DST is loving stupid and should be abolished.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, with my question before I hadn’t even thought about people on the edges of a time zone where the day light hours might be even more odd, I was purely thinking north/south stuff.

I’m the opposite and hate standard time. I’m right in the middle of the Eastern time zone in Florida, so during DST in the summer it’ll stay light out till 7:30ish, compared to like 5:30 during standard time. My preference is I’d rather it be lighter later in the evening than earlier in the morning, as much due to weather stuff as for the actual light out.

Compromise: just make DST the new standard time and stop changing the clocks twice a year. BOOM.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

"All members of this race have X trait" is honestly a thing in D&D that is kind of gross when you look at it too closely, and it makes for less interesting storytelling.

This very thing was why I stopped reading the Redwall books. "All mice, squirrels, otters, badgers rabbits are always good and never the bad guys." "All rats, stoats, foxes, weasels, ferrets" are always 100% evil and have no redeeming qualities."

It got real old after awhile.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My experience with so-called JRPGs and so-called computer RPGs in general is that absolutely no harmful spell that doesn't do direct damage via fire or whatever works at all, ever, against anyone. So I just completely ignore them in any such game.

e: If anyone knows a game where a "scare" or "confuse" type spell actually works on an enemy you actually can fight in the game, please tell me.

Don't know if this qualifies, but in the DS remake of Final Fantasy 4, you at least want to make liberal use of Slow on bosses, or you will have a very bad time. Some regular monsters will also cheerfully kick your rear end and can be made much less dangerous by the Berserk spell.

Also this might be stretching your definition even more, but in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, status effects are dead loving useful.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

People still use AOL for email. Hell, companies have AOL domains for their official email! :psyduck: I would have thought those addresses got expunged long ago.

Are they still valid?! I haven't tried actually emailing one of these people. My mind is just blown.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Opossum is a powhatan word iirc. Lol that that then went on to become possum and describe another similar animal in a third colonized land.

Woodchuck also comes from a native American word, proto-Algonquin I think.

Skunk too!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Can wild animals be feral?

They can't, no. A feral animal is a domesticated one that lives wild.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

There's a silly children's song we used to sing in kindergarten called "Eat, eat apples and bananas." If you've never heard it, that's all there is to the song. You just sing that over and over and replace the vowels. I just figured out, today, that the song isn't just a silly thing where you end up singing about ooples and boonoonoos.

The song is meant to teach you vowels.

30 years later I figure this out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

I mean, no reason why it shouldn't mean that. The other one "stays home", not "isn't eaten". The next two eat or do not eat roast beef, and that's not exactly regular pig food, is it? It's totally just some anthropomorphised piggies. Possibly relatives of the ones who lived in increasingly well engineered houses.

I choose to believe this too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Phy posted:

There's also this sound effect for children playing that has this distinctive laugh that gets used a lot, and of course there's That loving Hawk Again

If you've ever seen any media with any bird of prey in it, or even just an establishing shot of a desert or an abandoned wasteland, with no birds visible in shot, you've heard That loving Hawk Again

That's the cry of a red tailed hawk! They do sound like that... but they're the only birds that make such a noise. Bald eagles, for comparison, sound more like seagulls.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I never lie to my self checkout machines so I just figured out I'm a huge sucker. :saddumb:

Same, friend. But I also don't shop at Walmart. I would probably be more cavalier about it if I did. I either go to the local IGA affiliate or a couple of regional chains.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If you use the self-check you're a scab trying to take the jobs of checkers.

Likewise if you don't try to confuse/disable automated phone systems to get to a real person.

I know you're joking, but this actually pissed me off when I was a cashier. People would come through my lane with like two things and I'd just think ugh just use the self checkout and leave me alone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Today I heard a radio ad for Home Depot and realized that the popular refrigerator brand Frigidaire is a portmanteau of frigid and air.

Yes, you may laugh at me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

St_Ides posted:

The fun part of that is learning that we use the term “fridge” not as a short form of refrigerator, but because of the brand name Frigidaire. Or the term at least became popular because of the brand.

Yeah, this makes me feel less bad about not realizing what the word means. Mentally I always thought of it more like "fridge-idaire." It was the way the radio guy pronounced it that made me realize it was frigid air.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just figured out the casting gag in "Groundhog Day". :doh:

The what? Is this a thing I can't believe I just figured out?

OK hit me. What's the casting gag in "Groundhog Day"?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lincoln posted:

This is it. I grew up in a mid-size city in the central US — very flat, and most streets were oriented entirely on a N-S-E-W grid, with the main arteries exactly one mile apart. Everybody grew up instinctively understanding cardinal directions.

I grew up in a city oriented that way (Phoenix) and the problem is my sense of cardinal directions only works when I'm there. :v: Now I live in New England and I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I read a book years ago at this point where a guy named Tamlin gets captured by an evil fairy queen and his girlfriend has to rescue him.

That could not be referencing the ballad of Tam Lin ANY harder, and yet I didn't get it until just now.

MotherFUCKER I am dense.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

It's called an airlock because it's a lock. For air.

Like a canal lock.

Holy poo poo. :same: I never made that connection.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I don't know why this never occurred to me today but I was today years old when I learned that domestic ducks are mallards. Or rather a subspecies of mallard.

Today I saw a cute gif of a white duck. I know white ducks are domestic ducks, but finally, looking at that duck I wondered "Wait. There are a lot of species of ducks. Which species is the domestic one?"

Never thought about it before today. It's weird.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I was today years old when I figured out what HVAC stands for. (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning).

I work in environmental planning. I have definitely run across that acronym before. Many times. I thought it had something to do with HazMat.

I swear I did actually earn this degree! :cry:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

I can't believe I just figured out that AC/DC is really loving good. Exactly my kind of music.

I mean, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S69xWkV4uM

came out seven years before I was born. Wtf? What took me so long?

I discovered them in college! I was listening to the radio on the way home from class and a song came on that sounded like the opening of Phantom of the Opera, which got my attention, then this suave sounding fellow proceeded to regale me about his big balls. I cracked up laughing and looked up what the song was later. (It's called Big Balls- phone posting so I can't link it easily.) The album that song is on was the first CD I bought- yes I'm old...

Anyway yeah they're great! For my graduation present I had my mom bring me to see them in concert. It was a blast!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah when I was a kid the teachers would say "You need to learn this, you're not going to be carrying a calculator with you everywhere" but then science invented the digital calculator watch and I never looked back

Oh God this reminded me. Along the same lines, I had to take a State employment exam to be a loving secretary. The exam page said there would be math on it and explicitly said calculators would not be allowed. I had to look up how to do loving long division and fractions before the test. And the math was piss easy. Basic arithmetic, adding decimals, a few fraction problems. I got them all right, but boy howdy it would have taken me a lot less time to do them if I could use a calculator.

And it was so stupid. Under what circumstances, actually doing that job, would I not have access to a calculator?!

Oh and I didn't get the job either. Dicks! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only found out earlier this week, from a Simpsons-themed podcast, that The Beatles wrote and performed that God-awful Birthday song.

You know the one I mean...they always play it on, say, a Clear Channel/iHeartRadio radio station when the "DJ" is listing off what celebrities have birthdays that day.

If you think you don't know it...you do...

They say it's your birthday
Well, it's my birthday too, yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you

I had always assumed it was some random, cheapo no-name in-studio band that performed it for the sheer purpose of radio and TV having a cheaper "birthday song" so they could avoid paying royalties for "Happy Birthday."

My dad is a huge Beetles fan and would play that for everybody's birthday. I like that song. :( Good memories.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

"The first Noel the angel did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay"
Because of the way the line is stressed, I always just assumed that "to certain" was a verb, and that it probably meant something like "to make certain" or "to reassure". But no, it's just the regular determiner as I'm used to it being used.

Yeah it's a tortuous sentence structure to preserve the rhyming scheme. You see it a lot in Christmas songs, and to a lesser extent other old timey songs.

I don't notice it a whole lot in newer songs, so maybe that practice fell out of favor. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Speaking of Christmas music... last night I just figured out something about one of those songs that gets played all the time. It's the one by John Lennon. You know the one. I finally asked my husband why everyone hates that song. Is it because children singing is annoying?

So I just figured out the screeching falsetto part of the song isn't some children John roped in to record a Christmas song. That's Yoko Ono. :v: And that's why everyone hates that song.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elvis is an Anglicized version of the Gaelic name Ailbe which means "Rock".

Do you actually expect me to believe the quintessential rock musician and "King of Rock" was named Rock?

This has to be some sort of conspiracy.

I have an extremely common last name which means "savior."

My first name means "Christian." So before I got married I was Christian Savior.

This was completely by accident. My parents I'm sure had no idea. It happens.

Incidentally my husband's name is much cooler. His name means "Victory of the Almond People."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the weirdest thing. I made it through college without it even being mentioned as a concept, even to say whether it was outmoded. I only noticed it on my own later on and had to figure out why it even existed as a standard.

Yeah, same. I've asked around a little bit and I was told it went out of style in the mid-90s. :psyduck:

Why didn't anybody tell me?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pookah posted:

This is probably completely wrong for this thread, but I don't know where else to put it.
Today, I was talking to my family about an incident yesterday, where a man in our town got trampled by a cow with a calf, because some fucker had been letting an off leash dog harass some cattle with calves a little while earlier. He was just unlucky enough to meet an angry, frightened cow just after her baby was threatened.

I know the proper grammatical form is "he was beaten up by a cow", but I defaulted to "he was bet up by a cow" because it just feels more accurate. It's a fairly common hiberno-english conjugation.

You just got bet up, hope you'll be OK soon.

Where do you live where anyone says "bet up"? I have never heard this construction.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

He is Irish, as am I, and it's standard. The clue was when he said "Hiberno-English" in the post. That being said, I don't really understand how it fits with "stuff you just figured out", but I appreciate the :justpost: energy of dumping the random thing stuck in your brain into the nearest thread

Oddly I've heard "et" but not "bet" used in that fashion. Apologies if I came across as hostile. I was really confused. Also I didn't know what Hiberno-English meant but now I do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Poopelyse posted:

the word "candid" does not mean hidden or secret. i always thought it did because of the show Candid Camera :argh: it's a hidden camera! candid must mean hidden! at least that's what my 6 year old brain decided and I've believed for 20+ years

You've probably figured this out, but the reason they call it "candid" camera is because, as the camera is hidden and no one knows it's there, people act like they normally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Holy poo poo. This conversation has been awesome because thanks to this i just figured out that the Ballad of Tentifu from Planet Coaster is based on a real sea shanty!

Listen to this and tell me it doesn't sound like that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL1fjUN1yL4

That's amazing.