Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One is a Brussel Sprout. Many are Brussels Sprout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phy posted:

At least "moose" comes from an Algonquin word

But yeah the whole thing stems from English colonizers remembering the word "elk", meaning roughly "a huge loving deer" but not having anyone along from Scandinavia or Russia to tell them, "actually, rosbif, that thing you're calling a moose is an elk, and the thing you're calling an elk is I don't know what, but it's a huge loving deer though"

Yeah, moose/elk were extinct in Britain for a long time by then. The Brits knew that "Elk" meant big rear end deer because other parts of Europe had them still, but most of them had never seen one.

On top of that, many of the areas they landed don't have moose. North American Elk look like British deer but larger, so obviously that must be the Elk thing we keep hearing about!

In areas that have both elk and moose, they used different names but the Deer = Elk side must have argued better when it came time to square up all the names for stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fun moose fact: Predators of moose include humans of course, bears, wolves, siberian tigers, and orcas.

Memento posted:

Things here can sneak up on you, would be my guess. But yeah, I would absolutely prefer snakes and spiders to things like the North American fauna where it can decide you look tasty and just eat you.

In like 4 more years we'll have eradicated all the dangerous ones here through territory destruction. Australia is 90% uninhabitable by humans, so the dangerous animals can all prosper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The unicode people are too cheap to have artists so only the code that generates them is universal.

As long as every platform shows clapping, that's all they care about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Springsteen version is also about cars.

Springsteen was told his debut album didn't have a good commercial single, so he just hit up a rhyming dictionary to try to make one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line): language evolves by consensus, spellings and grammar change and the original spelling or even meaning of a particular word or phrase is not the True Meaning That Must Always Remain and which people need to be corrected on. The only time people need correcting on that stuff is if they ask for help or possibly if they're a language learner but even then the better tactic is to model the correct usage for them rather than correct directly.

It's annoying at first to have to ignore the little ping in your brain that says "wrong!" because it doesn't match the pattern of the language as you know it, but trust me it's much more freeing than policing everyone's language use when there are always going to be more and more examples of people doing it "wrong" because that's how language works and always has worked.

Except French, where it's actually regulated.

In Quebec those assholes even have an enforcement arm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Critical Role fans now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I had no symptoms for shot 1 of Moderna. I hope it’s not antibody related because we have to wait 16 weeks here and I’ll presumably have a lot more of that then than a 3 week gap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now we're talking about a catalog book of books about books.

Just something we all had lying around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do Australians just think of north as down?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Clapton sucks, all he ever did was play wack uninspired blues pentatonic poo poo that he ripped off from BB King Muddy Waters et al anyway. Plus he's a legendary rear end in a top hat, had a Michael Richards-esque racist rant onstage at one point, and now is a full-on COVID truther.

Being a Clapton fan in the third decade of the 21st century is like being a big Aaron Sorkin fan - you have Boomer brain regardless of your chronological age

The Rock Against Racism series of concerts was specifically a response to Clapton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also the dipping sauce frequently called marinara that's really just tomato paste with some chunks thrown in.

For when you're being fancy on a date night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No one who double spaces cares if you only use single spaces. But people who use single spaces will lose their loving minds if you double space.

This is the sole reason why I still use double spaces.

The forums (at least on Firefox) display double spacing as single.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know other vBulletin sites always did that. I assume that code is still alive in old Frankenstein here.

Nonbreaking spaces             work too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's the same word, it means "a lot." Not literally, literally it means "good hit." I guess in a sense of like getting something right on target, the most of that you can be maybe. "Bien sur" means "of course" but it's literally "well on" as in on top of.

No, it’s from coup somehow evolving from strike to mean heap. So it just literally means a big pile and so “a lot”.

Online this evolution is presented matter of factly as if of course slap became pile, why wouldn’t it? I don’t see the link though.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Mar 23, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No slip floor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a cyborg mug posted:

I’ve got some real bad news about onomatopoeia in diff languages for you

In French, bees don’t buzz. They bourdonner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

The simpsons episode Last exit to Springfield is two clicks away from 9/11 on wikipedia.

Yeah but The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson is 1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's fine.

...I mean, I'm sure she'd say it's fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's like the worst possible example you can use, because the point of the movie is the guy coming for him is on the 12:00 train.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cowboys are fictional, dummy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't that everything he did after Friends? And most of Friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dunno I didn't watch Friends. But I thought he was a comedian or something?

If I remember right, they actually hired him because he was a big Fallout fan.