Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Soral posted:

did you get the one from the deku scrub in the hole that only appears if you look through the telescope for a minute

I figured it out. Just gotta grab the 5,000 rupee bank one, then it's moon time.:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Wii U was the best drat purchase I've made in a long time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wii u is epic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably the best console of all time, and there's not even a new Zelda on it yet

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i enjoyed finding the triforce in wind waker, it was a nice treasure hunt

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I like Zelda.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

I like Zelda.

Welcome.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Fierce Deity Mask is such overpowered doodoo, but I loving love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I fought Majora without the Fierce Deity Mask for the first time and he's still piss easy lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I fought Majora without the Fierce Deity Mask for the first time and he's still piss easy lol

yeah it's a total joke, especially the final phase.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 11, 2015

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Before Nintendo ruined it with their skyward sword art book, also known as hyrule historia, I liked the idea that various games were different versions of the same oral legend that got mixed up a bit over generations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
yeah skyward sword tried to be a combo of majora's and windwaker but fell short on both the outdoors as dungeon design philosophy from MM and free roaming joy of discovery that WW excelled at but both games had. its fairly linear, repetitive, and the painfully slow text box fests that serve as your reward for progress is a huge turn off.

~

i just beat the whole water region in majora's mask.

its pretty terrible that they make that part of the game really annoying unless you have 3-4 bottles. They offer you an easy nearby bottle but oops, zora swimming controls are very weird and bad on 3ds so prepare to get very angry if you want to have it.

to make up for this in the new version they give you a mask that trivializes the section right in the middle of the level instead of being a reward for exploring other areas of the game.

Just make the eggs a collectible like fairies and save me the hassle of repeat trips.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 11, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They changes they made to Majora's Mask 3D made the game worse without fixing the one problem the original had (playing the elegy of emptiness a million times)

Dec 26, 2012

how did they not fix that lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When i had one bottle and was sitting there in the beaver race waiting for the 2 minutes left on the clock to tick down so i could restart the race after I flubbed a ring due to surprise 180 automatic camera readjustment, I decided to take a few weeks off until a recent plane trip. I had to be trapped in a chair for 3 hours without internet to make me want to make seven trips through the pirate fortress/reef

Great bay temple kicks a lot of rear end though. 2 minibosses, some strong visual cues for where to go, and a multi stage boss. A very nice follow up to the slow morass-like water temple of oot

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 11, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The modern day zelda bullshit doesn't hold the candle to the old ones.

Second Quest for Zelda 1 was tedious as all hell and Zelda II was no better.

Zelda II had random encounters and grinding. There's also large sections of unhittable enemies that are immune to every attack, yet they are able to damage you with projectiles.

Also if you up the frame rate in Zelda II you wind up having the game tear and mirroring environments.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

The modern day zelda bullshit doesn't hold the candle to the old ones.

Second Quest for Zelda 1 was tedious as all hell and Zelda II was no better.

Zelda II had random encounters and grinding. There's also large sections of unhittable enemies that are immune to every attack, yet they are able to damage you with projectiles.

Also if you up the frame rate in Zelda II you wind up having the game tear and mirroring environments.

old games more primitive you say?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Real hurthling! posted:

When i had one bottle and was sitting there in the beaver race waiting for the 2 minutes left on the clock to tick down so i could restart the race after I flubbed a ring due to surprise 180 automatic camera readjustment, I decided to take a few weeks off until a recent plane trip. I had to be trapped in a chair for 3 hours without internet to make me want to make seven trips through the pirate fortress/reef

Great bay temple kicks a lot of rear end though. 2 minibosses, some strong visual cues for where to go, and a multi stage boss. A very nice follow up to the slow morass-like water temple of oot

When I used to play through without simply duplicating extra bottles over sticks and nuts, I would take a cycle after finishing Snowhead to do most of the wedding sidequest along with the ranch.

1 bottle from the goron race
1 from the aliens
1 from Madame Aroma

gently caress the beavers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SeXReX posted:

Before Nintendo ruined it with their skyward sword art book, also known as hyrule historia, I liked the idea that various games were different versions of the same oral legend that got mixed up a bit over generations.

I liked that idea but it was definitely ruined by Windwaker and Twilight Princess.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah they were fairly clear about that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the BOY I HATE THE TIMELINE stuff has finally, at long last officially become more annoying than obsessive Zelda timeline people. it took like ten years because the obsessive timeline people are really annoying, but hearing it in every zelda-related thing for an entire decade has finally done it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just play the games

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Seshoho Cian posted:

I like Zelda.

*checks avatar* this guy's good, fellas, hes telling the truth. let him on in. welcome to imp zone

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I just play the games

same.

Dec 26, 2012

I just play the games

good

Soral
May 30, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^
yeah skyward sword tried to be a combo of majora's and windwaker but fell short on both the outdoors as dungeon design philosophy from MM and free roaming joy of discovery that WW excelled at but both games had. its fairly linear, repetitive, and the painfully slow text box fests that serve as your reward for progress is a huge turn off.

~

i just beat the whole water region in majora's mask.

its pretty terrible that they make that part of the game really annoying unless you have 3-4 bottles. They offer you an easy nearby bottle but oops, zora swimming controls are very weird and bad on 3ds so prepare to get very angry if you want to have it.

to make up for this in the new version they give you a mask that trivializes the section right in the middle of the level instead of being a reward for exploring other areas of the game.

Just make the eggs a collectible like fairies and save me the hassle of repeat trips.

you can have more then enough bottles to get the eggs in each area in a single trip before you even enter the great bay area. hell, you can skip 2 of them and still have enough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still shocked every time I think back to MM3DS and remember how royally they hosed up that port.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even if they didn't touch the gameplay at all and just used their "updated" graphics, the game would still look like cartoony turds because of their weird lighting system and half-assed remaster. Godammit

Soral
May 30, 2009

i think mm3d is better than the original except for the lighting and the change to ghot

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

They changes they made to Majora's Mask 3D made the game worse without fixing the one problem the original had (playing the elegy of emptiness a million times)

i was amazed that they didn't make it so you could skip when the game plays back a song you just did on the ocarina in both the oot and mm remakes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Soral posted:

i think mm3d is better than the original except for the lighting and the change to ghot

What was wrong with the lighting and goht? I thought it was a fine port, overall.

Also, the only part of the timeline discussion I enjoy is Wind Waker. Its little twist with a jaded as gently caress Ganon was awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you play 3D and 64 back to back you will quickly see that the graphical overhaul was a downgrade

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

i'd still take 3d just for the faster text + better framerate

Soral
May 30, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

What was wrong with the lighting and goht? I thought it was a fine port, overall.

Also, the only part of the timeline discussion I enjoy is Wind Waker. Its little twist with a jaded as gently caress Ganon was awesome.

they force you to change out of goron form to kill goht in the remake which sucks asses and as for the lighting, well

hell yeah lets strip out all mood and tone by reusing the same gay cartoony lighting effects from ocarina

Soral
May 30, 2009

also they hosed up the astral observatory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They hosed up nearly everything

Dec 26, 2012

Soral posted:

they force you to change out of goron form to kill goht in the remake which sucks asses and as for the lighting, well

hell yeah lets strip out all mood and tone by reusing the same gay cartoony lighting effects from ocarina

jeez

Soral
May 30, 2009

they should have made a master quest for mm3d, or some kind of challenge mode. but they didnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nintendo is proud to announce the following changes for our remaster of one of the best games we ever developed!

- it looks like crap now
- removed Zora swimming because it was too fun
- changed every boss fight for no real reason
- added a quest log that is more intrusive than the original bomber's notebook while relaying identical information
- moved location of stone mask so it is functionally useless
- added 3d
- added touch screen functionality to easily swap masks to your item buttons without adding the ability to simply tap the mask from the lower screen to use it for some reason
- you still have to play the elegy of emptiness a billion times and it triggers an unskippable animation of you playing the song again

We hope you like it.

• Locked thread