Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soral
May 30, 2009

the change to twinmold was for the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I sorta like the low-res designs of the Nintendo 64 Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask characters. They look like puppets and I just think they have more character and charm than the remakes.

I'm yet to really push through the Majora's Mask remake, I can't shake off the fact that it's been 6 years since I last played through it and I still remember where everything is, and how the 3 day cycle goes. Sorta envy anyone playing it for the very first time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The remake is fine you whiny babies. The new lighting is worse though.

Actually a lot of stuff isn't quite as good as it was before which is dumb but I got the game free and still really enjoyed it so whatever

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I just play the games

and complain for paragraphs about the remake, apparently

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

im caremad about it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i'm upset that we won't be seeing zelda u at e3. what the heck

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

romanowski posted:

i'm upset that we won't be seeing zelda u at e3. what the heck

nintendo will bring plenty of other wonderful games, dont worry

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they might show another clip of zelda wii u possibly even 5 whole seconds long.

Maybe we'll get to see some Star Fox, though, I want to see what they'll do with that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

has nintendo said if theyre gonna do another direct or actually do things live at e3?

because i love the directs

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

big zelda fan here but not big enuff to get a custom timbuk2 messanger bag with the triforce eagle thing on it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

has nintendo said if theyre gonna do another direct or actually do things live at e3?

I'd be surprised if they didn't do the Treehouse again. It worked out really well last year and I think they should stick with their success.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

list of zelda characters i want to hump like a madman:

1. old guy who says master using it and you can have this.
2. old guy who does the wood chopping tutorial
3. the biggest male goron
4. the construction workers

:twisted::twisted::flame::getin::henget:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

one time i walked by the omni hotel near bunker hill in la and saw a limo that said FOR NINTENDO EMPLOYEES ONLY but i didn't see reggie or shiggy et al :sigh:

Soral
May 30, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

list of zelda characters i want to hump like a madman:

1. old guy who says master using it and you can have this.
2. old guy who does the wood chopping tutorial
3. the biggest male goron
4. the construction workers

:twisted::twisted::flame::getin::henget:

0. linebeck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sploosh guy

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They hosed up the lighting in Windwaker HD too, I mean the models and resolution are really technically good but the lighting is the same "just slap this on without regard to how the game was designed" garbage

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Nintendo is proud to announce the following changes for our remaster of one of the best games we ever developed!

- it looks like crap now
- removed Zora swimming because it was too fun
- changed every boss fight for no real reason
- added a quest log that is more intrusive than the original bomber's notebook while relaying identical information
- moved location of stone mask so it is functionally useless
- added 3d
- added touch screen functionality to easily swap masks to your item buttons without adding the ability to simply tap the mask from the lower screen to use it for some reason
- you still have to play the elegy of emptiness a billion times and it triggers an unskippable animation of you playing the song again

We hope you like it.

This blows. MM is a fantastic game, and I bought a 3DS with the thought that I could pick it up later on. They actually got rid of swimming? That was legitimately my favorite part of MM.

Oh well, not all is lost. I marathoned A Link Between Worlds this weekend and holy heck it's an amazing game. It may just be my most favorite Zelda game yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

seiferguy posted:

This blows. MM is a fantastic game, and I bought a 3DS with the thought that I could pick it up later on. They actually got rid of swimming? That was legitimately my favorite part of MM.

Oh well, not all is lost. I marathoned A Link Between Worlds this weekend and holy heck it's an amazing game. It may just be my most favorite Zelda game yet.

the zora swimming is still there but it got hosed up, now you have a slow swim and if you want to fly around like before you have to use the lightning attack which consumes mana. stone mask got moved to where you can only get it post-pirate fortress, a change i liked since i thought using it to skip pirate's fortress was p dumb. plus they give you enough bottles to get the eggs in one go now.

boss fights were changed to be more dynamic and 3d-zelda-y instead of "just hit them a bunch" but then the one boss that really needed a makeover, majora, didnt get changed and it's still stupid easy deity mask or not.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

the zora swimming is still there but it got hosed up, now you have a slow swim and if you want to fly around like before you have to use the lightning attack which consumes mana. stone mask got moved to where you can only get it post-pirate fortress, a change i liked since i thought using it to skip pirate's fortress was p dumb. plus they give you enough bottles to get the eggs in one go now.

boss fights were changed to be more dynamic and 3d-zelda-y instead of "just hit them a bunch" but then the one boss that really needed a makeover, majora, didnt get changed and it's still stupid easy deity mask or not.

yeah it's good that they moved the stone mask so you can no longer use it in the only place where it is even remotely useful. that's a good change, and not loving idiotic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You only have to sneak past, like, one gerudo before you can get it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, both times I played Majora's Mask all the way through I forgot about the stone mask and did the pirate fortress Solid Snake style.

I love that in both remixes of Wind Waker and Majora's Mask they get rid of the really frustrating things (the eggs and the triforce hunt) when the reality should have been during beta tests of the game the QA department should have said "guys this is really dumb and frustrating to have to go back and do this over and over again, maybe we should change it."

The fact that the final boss is still laughably easy even without the FD mask is hilarious. That's still the easiest final boss in any Zelda game (unless you count the Dark Link exploit in Zelda 2).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ganon in OoT is a joke too because you can just walk through his legs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soral posted:

yeah it's good that they moved the stone mask so you can no longer use it in the only place where it is even remotely useful. that's a good change, and not loving idiotic

pirate's fortress really isnt that hard dude

also stone mask owns because non-boss enemies will just sit there and let you kill them, it makes killing stuff like the giant dodongos really painless. or if you just dont feel like aggroing stuff in an area.

the real problem is that once you get the bunny mask thats all you want to wear ever and every other mask just feels like you're trading the huge speed boost for a situational bonus.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i didnt say pirate fortress is hard. its not. i do it without the stone mask every time. i still think its dumb and ridiculous that you cant use the stone mask until youre almost done with the only area its actually useful in.

Dec 26, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I bought a 3DS with the thought that I could pick it up later on.

this was not a smart idea. its a good system though so its all good

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Aw they got rid of the swimming? I liked the remake so far at least, but haven't gotten very far.

Also, lol at people bitching about having to actually play the pirate fortress. It's easy as poo poo even without the stone mask, you goofballs.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

Aw they got rid of the swimming? I liked the remake so far at least, but haven't gotten very far.

Also, lol at people bitching about having to actually play the pirate fortress. It's easy as poo poo even without the stone mask, you goofballs.

youre terrifically bad at reading posts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean it's still MM and it's still my favorite Zelda, just seeing how well they tinkered with WW I was a little bummed that it wasn't a perfect port. Still a sick game in a sick series

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Soral posted:

At least he's great at making them!

Soral
May 30, 2009

yeah same

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Soral posted:

I actually am. My bad.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i've done the no sword thing in zelda 1

that's my zelda 1 story

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

They hosed up the lighting in Windwaker HD too, I mean the models and resolution are really technically good but the lighting is the same "just slap this on without regard to how the game was designed" garbage

how so? I am a garbage person and don't have a Wii U but I've been watching videos on youtube and it looks really good and not bland.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

01011001 posted:

this was not a smart idea. its a good system though so its all good

Nah I meant that in a "there's a lot of games I want for the 3DS" and MM had just been announced and is one of them. Other games on the 3DS have kept me plenty occupied.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

how so? I am a garbage person and don't have a Wii U but I've been watching videos on youtube and it looks really good and not bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hOVb1GCfg

It makes anything outdoors and in daylight look completely bloomed out, the more "realistic" shadows don't work with these models, and the color scheme is just kinda washed out in general. It takes the more timeless cartoony look of the original and makes it look more like someone's first attempt at 3d modeling with a lighting engine that might be technically impressive but doesn't mesh at all with the models and environments.

The outdoors stuff suffers the most but it's a problem throughout (the Gohma room comparison later in the video is pretty bad).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that sure is a lot of words. um, wind waker hd looks really good, and not like a blurry 12 year old game. its one of the best games ever made with some dumb stuff in it tweaked to be better and the worst part of the game, the sailing, has been cut down quite a bit with the swift sail. a good port

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

that sure is a lot of words. um, wind waker hd looks really good, and not like a blurry 12 year old game. its one of the best games ever made with some dumb stuff in it tweaked to be better and the worst part of the game, the sailing, has been cut down quite a bit with the swift sail. a good port

It's definitely a good port and it does look good. It's just a shame because it would've looked a million times better if they just didn't gently caress around with the lighting.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
did they gently caress up the oot3d remake as well. i know that some of the cool glitches from the n64 version are still in it and thats all i know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

closeted republican posted:

did they gently caress up the oot3d remake as well. i know that some of the cool glitches from the n64 version are still in it and thats all i know

oot3d is really really good. they knew how to bring every area to life, and the 30 fps is great.

that said they didn't change a single thing about the games, anything bad or annoying is still in and master quest still has 100 song of time puzzles in it. master quest is also mirrored which will gently caress you up if you have the game down to muscle memory, it also mirrors the first person views which feel super weird

• Locked thread