Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Daeren posted:

Oh for God's sake, it's some pretty bad prose but looking at it and declaring that the golden age of elfgames is dead is putting the cart about ten miles in front of the horse, especially after Demon and how hyped everybody in here was getting for Dark Ages.

Now, when Beast comes out or has its Kickstarter and it all turns out to be wall-to-wall edgelord dreck, sure, we can start doomsaying.

he's right though, the fact that this is being written an submitted for public approval in the first place, let alone the immediate public approval, cannot be denied as a sign of things to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Well, all the other CoD games all have fully developed antagonist factions with their own history, organization, and footprint on the world. Mage would be a much worse game if it just left it at "other mages will cause you problems," but instead it has the Abyss and the Seers in addition to plenty of divisive clashes between the player factions. Werewolf and Vampire could just be Gangs with Fangs, but they're much better with the spirit ecosystem, Strix, VII, Idigam, the Pure Tribes. Etc.

Geist just leaves it at "there are ghosts who will cause you problems" and that is not great. There aren't even internal player factions to hang plots on, let alone antagonists. Every game as written has implicit supernatural conflict, only Geist has absolutely nothing else.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

nofather posted:

Basic Chunnel and cptn_dr thanks for pointing me to the Magnus Archives. I was not expecting it to be so good, I think the point of view really helps and thank god they have some continuity and overarching plot.
Am I the only one who usually finds myself disappointed once the overarching plot gets going in serial fiction? I enjoyed Magnus Archives far more when it was just urban horror stories with tentative but unclarified connections and a familiar cast, now that it has become everything is explicitly connected and also the protagonist is a lovecraftian-nobilis superhero fighting against other lovecraftian-nobilis superheroes to save the world I just doooo nooooot caaaaaaare. I feel like the writing quality is still great when limited to "spooky transcription" but takes a quality nosedive when doing the "spooky Interview with a Not-Vampire" plot stuff.

Is there a good inspiration fodder horror fiction podcast out there right now that doesn't go down the oWoD-style metaplot route? Something that leaves a little ambiguity more appropriate to the "overflowing with uncategorizable weirdness" themes of nWoD/CoD?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

blastron posted:

My Mage players are gearing up to infiltrate a Seer operation, which is a mid-sized tech company. I want the big defensive trap to be a pocket dimension that’s an infinite maze of open-plan office space that gets weirder and weirder the further in you go, to the point where they’re constantly being attacked by animated office equipment in a jungle made of towering standing desks and trash cans overflowing with paper.

I need help figuring out how the players actually escape it. A group of mages powerful enough to fill an infinite pocket dimension full of flying staplers would be powerful enough to prohibit teleporting out, stepping into the spirit world, etc. and, more importantly, I don’t want the answer to be as simple as “well I guess I teleport us out”. What weak points should I build into this so that the players have a reasonable degree of ability to escape besides brute force?

If the trap is meant to protect the Seer sanctum or some macguffin, it doesn't really need to stop people from leaving it. Just make whatever the players need to find/do at the "solved" heart of the maze (however they figure that out,) if they teleport out of it or use some other brute force then they're out if it but they still don't have what they need/haven't gotten where they need to go. Just because they're the Seers doesn't mean they have to make inescapable deathtraps, it's enough to just deter and divert.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

blastron posted:

What would be a fun thing to throw at a party of eight-year-olds who have been ripped from their ordinary lives in the past, had their heads crammed full of Supernal knowledge, and shoved into a world made of ephemeral entities with no real way out?

Have each one of the characters send the players through a short mystery play/spirit quest of their childhood fantasies ie "when I was 8 I wanted to be a veterinarian" turns into a child's interpretation of a vets office populated with spirits who have to be bargained with in their vet office roles: "I am the big scary dog, you have to give me a shot so I can feel all better, but I'm so scary!" Have the challenges flavoured to reflect to their favored arcana. Let the character's player run each mini-scenario if you want to be more improvy about it.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

PST posted:

Reprinting Gaiman's piece of text that he owns the copyright for is one fuckup, editing it to add an additional paragraph is a whole other level of 'what is publishing, why are we so bad at this'.
i crashed my major IP into a bridge i watched and let it burn. i threw our poo poo into a bag and pushed it down the stairs. i crashed my major IP into a bridge. i don't care. i love it.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Shockeh posted:

You did however heavily implicate it about anyone who didn't subscribe to the entire 'Traditions are Good, Technocracy are bad' theory. And that's at least rude, if not outright offensive.

it's the text. the core message of the original text, the thesis of the setting, is that the traditions are good, and that the technocracy is bad. you can contest that thesis, ok, but it's insane to call it personal slander when someone just reiterates the core thesis of the text.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Crasical posted:

It's a group of folks who all chose to play High-Karma characters in New Vegas. Maybe we're playing the game wrong, or maybe Deviant isn't the book for us. I asked if other people who currently have games currently get into that sort of morally-ambigious collateral-damage behavior often because I wanted to know if we were in the minority. If GimpInBlack and Dave are any indicaton, that does seem to be the case.

I'm pretty sure the high end of the morality scales exist to empower and give mechanical hooks to moral play just as much as the low end exists to empower and give mechanical hooks to amoral play. You can run a game of Vampire as a tragic struggle against the parasitic condition inflicted on you or as a downward spiral of decadence and self-justification, both modes of play are poignant and valid.

It seems weirdly premature to assume that Deviant will only support one kind of playstyle. It definitely seems to be pointed at the kind of self-destructive climax that is common to the stories in its source material, but how your group actually gets there ought to be up to them, I see no reason why it couldn't be noble self-sacrifice to make sure nothing as awful as what happened to them ever happens again or whatever. Or a story about trying to perpetually stave off that seemingly inevitable climax. There's a lot of fertile ground.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Gotta say this first look seems to be equally misguided as SIGMATA in its conception of the protagonists as feasible opponents against monstrous systemic oppression, and if anything that odious achievement deserves some kind of recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007