Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My GM refused to run a campaign with us before because we wanted to be werewolves who all worked at a fried chicken fast food restaurant. If only I had the WoD knowledge then, that I do now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pope Guilty posted:

So I've been running the local Masquerade LARP for about a year now, and I'm working up a survey to collect feedback on how I'm doing. I've got the following questions:

1. What is your overall feeling about [game]?
3. What's the best experience you've had playing in [game]?
4. What's your worst experience you've had at [game]?
5. How do you feel about the level of attention you get from the Storyteller during the game?
6. How do you feel about the level of attention you get from the Storyteller between games?

Any ideas for other questions I should be asking?

Maybe ask about the place you play at. Is the schedule good?

Are there any small but essential tasks that you do/don't like?

What is the most appealing characteristic of this LARP?

Which event was the most memorable?

Is there something that you would want this LARP to add or focus on more?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm thinking Hunter-focused, with plenty of the other critters to go around? And heavy use of Slashers?

Don't forget you can have the river catch on fire and still have the setting be fully accurate.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And if there are people who want to kill the vampires for being vampires, the vamps know that the reason is justified.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bewilderment posted:

Wait, I think I missed something because it's been a long time since I looked at Slashers. What makes Slashers sympathetic when for the most part they're Literal Horror Movie Villains? And for occasionally being Hunters that got so crazed and overzealous that they turned into Literal Horror Movie Villains.

A fallen Hunter is a tragic story. A Beast or Hero have always been and always will be unrepentant assholes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pope Guilty posted:

that fuckin' bitch trying to get back what was stolen from her and trying to get home to her body! she deserves to be in a neverending nightmare of a coma dream! If she'd just let herself be victimized none of this would've happened! :barf:

That poster goes on to say (around page 12) that Beasts cannot be considered abusers by a conventional meaning of the word.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Axelgear posted:

[...]
And them they doff their sunglasses and ride off into the moon-set.

This reminded me, somehow, of Lost Boys, which I watched for the first time ever yesterday. It was entertaining and so very 80s.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Even if I was an equally experienced Werewolf or Vampire, sufficiently powerful mages always scared the crap out of me. It felt like they could do things to just wreck you and there would be nothing you could do about it if the mage was smart enough.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So I haven't been here in a while but caught wind that there was some controversy over Beast: The Primordial game. What was up with that?

The game had you playing a monstrous monster with supreme self-righteousness and no self-awareness. The villains of the splat were more sympathetic than the protagonists.

The writing and sample characters made it even worse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of layout, what tool(s) do you guys use for that? The only ones I am familiar with is LaTeX and its family.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Adobe. Many printers, especially in PoD, won't give anything else the time of day. Note that layout and art direction are done by different folks than the writer/developer team, though the developer does back and forths with Chaney or whoever else is doing art and layout.

Thanks for the response. A few years ago, I was asked to create some documentation for a piece of software and we didn't have access to any Adobe products and the hospital I worked for sure as gently caress wasn't going to buy any. So, I learned how to use that LaTeX stuff I mentioned.

I imagine Adobe is much easier to use, since TeX based tools you pretty much write markup (like html) and using GUI based ways to write markup often leads to a lot of pain later.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tatankatonk posted:

What does a 'non-physical example' mean?

He doesn't fight by physical means.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Adobe InDesign's probably the easiest layout software to use on the market. Drag and drop anything, anchor stuff and flow with a few clicks, shortcuts for basically everything. For instance, it takes a single keyboard shortcut to add an index entry anchor/reference to a word/phrase, and just two more to generate an index that outputs the current page location of every indexed item in the book file!

Nice. TeX is similar, but more cumbersome. You use different tags to mark things (captions, images, chapters, quotes, words for indexing, etc.). You then call a command that will use those tags to output whatever you want wherever that command is called. This leads to things like table of contents, indexes, reference pages, etc. always having the correct page number.

Being able to do that kind of stuff without having to type all of it seems much easier. Especially when it comes to positioning images where you want them to appear on the page.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Swagger Dagger posted:

I have to use TeX to submit math homework, and formatting is often harder than doing the work itself. I can't imagine laying out a whole document in it, so I'm pretty impressed that you managed.

They key is to just let TeX do the formatting for you and don't try to cajole it into doing anything fancy. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spectralent posted:

Would people say it's better to do big-name cities as game locales that nobody's likely been to or use cities people have been to? Each's strength seems to be a reframed version of the other's weakness; with a big city, nobody will care if the geography's wrong. With a small city, everyone knows where stuff is.

Or you can pretend it's a new city but really just base it off a city that everyone knows.

Or say "like a Hollywood movie version of <x>" or something like that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't bring myself to hate on people who brought food to the homeless victims of Hurricane Katrina, not even if they believe they are vampires.

It's also too close to making fun of people for their religious beliefs for my taste.

Their website makes them seem rather chill and it feels like they are an organization created to give a support system to those who feel they are outcasts with no one to turn to. No idea how they actually are in practice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Okay, the US in 1990. Which state should I set my tier 1 hunter game in? Im thinking it needs to be somewhat rural aswell as having a metropolitan. Virginia maybe? Louisiana?

Louisiana is definitely rural but has no such thing as a metropolis. However, there is plenty of built-in culture and plot-hooks, especially in New Orleans. Speaking of, that is a city that is a major port, surrounded by sparsely populated wetlands, tons of folk tales from various cultures, religions and mish-mashes thereof (native american, french, spanish, haitian, catholic, voodoo, etc.). The city itself would serve as decent spot for supernaturals to hide in plain sight because the place is just weird, especially at night.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Loomer posted:

I dunno, isn't NOLA a hell of a metropolis? Place has over a million people with like five different languages and poo poo. It's not the biggest but it qualifies.

It has never had a million people. The highest it has been was 484k. It is definitely a sizeable city, but but not what someone would typically think of as a metropolis.

I'm biased (live an hour away), but I think it's a wonderful place for a hunter game. Lots of superstitions, a populace that is accepting of "unique" individuals (allowing supernaturals to blend in easier), a varied environment (swamp, woods, river, ocean), a major port, international airport, and heavy in tourism.

The tourism angle could be useful in a campaign because people come down not just to tour the city but also for huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA tournament, and many, many musical acts. Could be used to put a kind of timer or end point for the players to fix something before it gets public.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Loomer posted:

Fair enough. Living in bumfuck nowhere does warp one's perception of what constitutes a major city.

The million figure is, it turns out, for the greater NOLA metropolitan area.

No problem.:) I'm normally arguing the opposite side as a sports fan in a relatively small media market. :v:

But, yeah, the greater NOLA metropolitan area is kind of dumb because it covers seven parishes (or counties as they're called in every other state). That seems way out of scope of the city. NOLA is still a great, great place for pretty much any occult-based game. Or at least basing a make-believe town off it or getting inspiration from it. It's a very unique city.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gilok posted:

EDIT: Also you get to play New Orleans jazz during the game to set the mood, so that's a plus.

Or some Trombone Shorty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwYAeUpH1NM

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
When I pitched a hunter game to my friends, one of my ground rules was that all characters have to be able to function in a group. It is something that should be understood by everyone without it having to be said, but I was new to playing with some of them so I explicitly said it, anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

How different is the NOLA of the 70s compared to the 90s. Im thinking that the development of the city, cultural and economically just stopped in the 70s and hasnt progressed in 20 years.

Football got a lot more popular (the Saints were actually good in the late 80s and early 90s). I'm not sure if oil rigs in the Gulf had started falling in popularity. Wetland preservation started picking up steam around then, iirc.

Some people were probably still spending Friday and Sunday nights shooting nutria rats and bringing their hides to the local government for some drinking money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nearly finished mapping out the other hunters in NOLA :toot:

https://new-times-in-new-orleans.obsidianportal.com/characters

Looks like a good mix of personalities and backgrounds.

My only thought would be to ask your players to consider changing some of their last names to something a bit more local, assuming their character is local to the area. Boudreaux, LeBlanc, Thibodeaux, Matherne, etc. Some of those may be interesting in just looking up how to actually pronounce them, like Richard.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kurieg posted:

It's also not a very unique abbreviation. Can't call it CoD because of Call of Duty. Can't call it 'Cee Oh Dee" because that's "Cash On Delivery". So the easiest way to refer to it and know what you're talking about is still going to be nWoD.

It looks like they are using "CofD" internally, according to one of the comments here: http://theonyxpath.com/announcing-chronicles-of-darkness/

e: whoops, I was beaten hours ago. I did provide a link, at least!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Would anyone be interested in some flashcards I made for all the Conditions in 2e Werewolf and Vampire? I made them using a very quickly edited flashcard template in Word.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Inzombiac posted:

Yes! I'm a sucker for that stuff.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9BXVbROcovfaG9sR1Q5M1BnaHc&usp=sharing

It has the .dotx template file I used, the .docx files for the Werewolf and Vampire sets, and .pdf versions of the sets. You would print out the set, then cut, fold, and glue/tape the backs together to create the little pocket flashcard.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mendrian posted:

I think the problem there is that as you move away from rpgs as products that are bought and sold, you approach a point where rpgs are more valuable as a shared activity that everybody knows. It's kind of insulating.

I think that rpgs need to look at cutting costs and explore selling paperback products in smaller batches. For all people say about the book industry dying they still, you know, exist; they mostly don't sell rpgs. Not because rpgs are too niche or whatever. God knows a book store will keep a copy of some obscure romance novel on backlist for six years. But because the cost to sales ratio is too high.

I'd be down with a model where condensed, paper-back versions are what are sold in stores everywhere while expanded, hard-cover versions are sparingly available in stores, but always available with PoD.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sampatrick posted:

If I want to get into World of Darkness should I pick up CofD stuff or should I start picking up WoD20 stuff?

WoD20 has an extensive metaplot with a bunch of important figures. CofD doesn't. There's probably other significant differences between the two, but I have only played lines that just rebranded to CofD.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It might be worth checking out the condition system in the God Machine to see if you can adapt it to fit your game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know, I can kind of see what Axelgear is getting at here. If your players have difficulty getting deep into the story or avoiding meta reasoning, it's very likely that the stakes will have no importance for them, because they know that they can count on the GM not to completely screw them over, because otherwise there would be no game.

Then it sounds like there was a miscommunication or something between what the GM wants to run and what the Players want to play. If everyone goes into a campaign understanding that consequences for poor in-character decisions will be severe, then the likelihood of the players thinking they won't die because of plot armor will be lessened considerably.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Are there any mechanics/rules for establishing a pack territory in the Werewolf: Forsaken 2e book? I have looked for an inordinate amount of time and can't find any. My group is perfectly mine with making up our own rules for it, but we like to try things as written first.

In other news, we are really enjoying the Aspirations feature in 2e. It has really helped our group develop motivations for our characters other than the main storyline going on and just feels better. It seems like it's a bit of a RP crutch, but I like the effect it has had on our games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My group was similarly slow with using aspirations. We eventually informally split them up into three categories: immediate, soon, and (step towards) long-term.

"Immediate" are things that we are currently pursuing this session, like "Explore this area", "Get information from this NPC". These are often shared between players. They are to identify what we expect to happen this session.

"Soon" is used for goals like "Find out where this body disappeared to" and "Participate in a Hunt". Things that take a back seat to the Immediate but still something that is pursued. These are also usually shared between players, but not as often as Immediate aspirations. Typically, this means we expect some hooks to be offered in the current session and have the aspiration resolved within the next session or two.

"Long-Term" is for goals like "Avenge my elder's death" but split up into steps like "Find evidence of killer", "Identify", "Locate", etc. These are more personal to each character and thus rarely, if ever, shared. The time-line of these have differed since they are typically slower moving due to it being important to only one character, but expecting some progress every other session or so feels about right.

We limit ourselves to five total aspirations and try to keep from having more than two in any one category. I find it helps the players stay on track with their core concept and personal story while also helping the GM identify what the players want to do.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gilok posted:

I have literally never seen a feeding scene have any relevance to anything that happened afterwards. I believe it's possible, but generally there's a story that everyone is more interested in than the same repeated feeding scene they've been playing through since the 90s.

In our current 2e game, one of the players accidentally drained too much blood while feeding to recover from injury and killed the victim. This was also in a city where the Prince enforces a rule that killing a local from feeding results in death. So, he's tried his best to hide it from everyone but it has worked well as a character development bit and also added risk of conflict with existing powers in the setting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gerund posted:

This isn't a regular feeding scene, the player killed someone and is hiding it from the Prince. The chance your feeding will kill someone isn't an interesting consequence to the non-lethal feedings you do by definition.

I think I see what you mean. Since it is something that is only interesting when it fails, it shouldn't really be something to spend time on?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks for the answers guys, now for another stupid question: how I make vampire punch good? My girlfriend wants to be an aztec punch-vampire and shes got a huge brawl dicepool but only deals bashing and it seems like any defense will severely dampen anything she does. Is there a trait I've missed to turn her fists to lethal or give them damage bonuses?

Oh also when you're rolling your dicepool for an attack, i know the number of successes determines the damage but what determines the DC?

This campaigns starting up this weekend so I'm plumbing through the rules and building people's vamps.

I think some of the mundane fighting styles in the God Machine Chronicles or new Chronicles of Darkness corebooks will do that for you.

E: brass knuckles will also work on an xp budget

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nopantsjack posted:

OHHHHHHH

Thanks everyone! Turns out that was as nooby a question as I thought.

e: All these in-depth replies are helpful, I quite like the rulebook but it feels very strangely spaced out so its harder than it might be to get a handle on how all the rules work together.

The books have improved in readability, but still aren't where I would like. Fluff is often mixed in with rules and that can make it hard to follow sometimes.

Post in here if you have any questions and I'm sure you will get help.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
In addition there is something called a "dramatic failure". This happens a one is rolled on a "chance die". A player rolls a chance die when their die pool for a roll would be reduced to less than one (through Defense stat or some other penalties). A roll on a chance die is only considered a success if a ten is rolled. Tens can explode in this system, meaning, you re-roll tens until they are no longer a ten and count each ten as another success.

I have never played oWoD so I don't know if any of this is the same in that system.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks, yeah I'm coming off of one game of Masquerade I ran a year or two ago. Liking a lot of the Requiem stuff so far but not that they doubled the complication of chargen, whenever I look at a new edition of an RPG my first port of call is "how have they simplified chargen?".
Now theres masks, dirges, touchstones, banes, aspirations and essentially a second discipline tree with the swanky new merits. It's all stuff I would loving love but is going to make dropping in new players a pain in the rear end as I have to give them multiple sheets of character stuff then write out all their abilities for them since theres nowhere on the sheet for those to go.

[...]

e: Oh a question, is there any difference in trying to use a discipline on a vampire than a human or is it just higher stats to oppose?
I'm tempted to just make disciplines autosucceed against regular old mortals i.e. non-cops or bosses, because I want to encourage my players to go mad with power.

Masks, dirges, touchstones, aspirations, and conditions are role-playing aids given mechanics. Masks and dirges are there to help/"force" the player to make interesting game decisions in order to more quickly recover Willpower (which only restores one point each well-rested night, otherwise). Touchstones gives player hooks the GM can play off of while also giving some more meaning to the player's Humanity (I think that's what it is in this game) score. Aspirations help focus players on their long-term and short-term goals, especially between sessions, and gives them a Beat for doing so. Resolving Conditions for Beats can also lead to interesting player drama.

I don't have the book in front of me, but supernatural creatures usually get to add their supernatural stat (Blood Potency in the case of vampires, I think) in order to resist supernatural powers. That may not be true in all cases, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nopantsjack posted:

Nice the bonus dice thing is much simpler, I had hoped I was wrong. Thanks for letting me know about the lack of 1s cancelling out too, I woulda definitely used that.

I wasn't planning on using degrees of success like "you need at least this many successes" more like "oh poo poo you opened the gently caress out of that door" or "you just barely catch the baby"

Yeah, that keeps in line with the use of margin of success in the game. Exceptional Success is an actual mechanical keyword thing and some abilities have special results because of it. Like grappling. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I Am Just a Box posted:

GimpInBlack has already answered this nicely, but just to underline it because it's a significant difference: nothing in CoD ever changes the target number of 8 for normal rolls or 10 for chance dice. (Actually there's some weird stuff that's only in Mummy but you're not playing Mummy and it's not very good anyway.) The primary means of tweaking the difficulty of an action is circumstantial dice modifiers. The ST should feel free to add or subtract a few dice from any given roll that seems like it's harder or easier based on circumstance.
[...]

Most bonuses/penalties I see for this are in the 1-3 dice range. I think there may be some exceptional circumstances that offer up to 5, but that would be rare.