Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

crime fighting hog posted:

Thread title works perfectly in a God Machine sense :colbert:

But what does it MEAN?!

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Vampire Goebbels did nothing wrong.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Kindred: The Awakened :v: Although its a wierd mix between bram stoker and VtM

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nordic style games?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Wasnt that what litteraly happened to the WoD MMO? A day after pre-alpha images were leaked to 4chan, they shut down.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Blame the seers. Join the council.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Is it strange with all the weird things you could potentially play inside of nWoD, I really just want to play Hunter so bad? Whenever I bring it up to the guys I play with on occasion they just shrug it off and say "Nah, I'd rather just play Vampire and have cool powers and not die if I get shot".

Something about the thought of being a mostly normal person in a desperately hosed up situation kind of appeals to me. Vampires stalk the night feasting on the unsuspecting. Mages hide among us and ply their dark powers in secret. Werewolves walk the countryside leaving a wake of destruction in their path. Demons strike bargains and destroy people's souls to give themselves cover from the poo poo that hunts them. You have to band together with your fellows to fell the things that would use us as playtoys, and you do it with a shotgun and pure force of will alone. The PTSD and paranoia just come along for the ride.

What I'm trying to say is I kind of wish there was an active Hunter PBP going or something. :smith:

Hunter is probably my favorite splat, followed closely by mage.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Our ST is turning me, 2nd degree master in a group of vampires, into a living plotdevice. What could possibly go wrong :ohdear:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Chiminage has been dropped in Forsaken second ed.

:toot:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Whats wrong with them?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Seers.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

As a mind/matter mage in a group of 3 vampires, how do I avoid blowing past the others in everything, yet while still remaining a unique asset to the team? Alternatively how do I gently caress with them the most?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Gerund posted:

Ward, and its follows-you-as-you-move cousin Repel, using your Matter 3 to block all* physical matter. Do Scrying as well as you can. You're a human being that can walk in the sun and isn't afraid of a lit match. Alter physical matter from a safe distance.

*depending on your Matter arcana level

5 matter, 5 mind. Its a fairly highpowered game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sorry to break away from the meta-chat, but I wanted to run some Quintessences by you to see if they were feasible.

Death: Soul of a vampire. (Im thinking Golconda vampire here)
Life: Remade man, reborn. (Promethium who has become a real person again)
Mind: Literally a third eye.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I have no idea. Maybe just to achieve archmastery in the first place. And the Mind one, I do mean an actual Third Eye, as in the mystical Third Eye, so life wouldn't be able to whip one up.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dont know anything about Geist, except they deal with dead stuff. My main reason for the Golconda vampire thing, is that I think it's an aspect of the mythology that hasn't been anywhere near explored enough. As for the Cthonian and the death-god, I could do the Cthonian aswell, but that would work just aswell as a Spell Quint with some pretty severe memory loss and false memories, perhaps on the nationwide scale. Dunno about the god though, because to me, a god implies near all-mightiness, although I guess once you reach archmastery as a mage, you are pretty much playing with that kind of power anyway.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Awakening> Ascension. Hth.

:colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ascension is better than Awakening, because if you Ascend you have waaaaay higher stats.

What matter are stats to a mind/life archmage.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

My view of the AA is that in a world where engaging in combat with other mages can potentially be horrendously bad for your long-term health, they are the ones not shying away from such conflict. They thrive on it. Each conflict, whether it be combat or upholding an oath despite terrible setbacks is what hones their magical abilities. 1/5th of pentacle society who is ready to throw down the gauntlet and go after your rear end with the fury of Michael the Archangel is a serious contender. When presented with a problem, the AA often chooses the most direct solution. They aren't liable to spend months of intrigue and backstabbing when they could be drawing up battleplans, doing strategical analysises, and operational rehearsing. That isn't to say they are brutish or simple. They know how everyone fights, and that everyone has a weakness that can be exploited ruthlessly, be they Seer, Pentacle or Sleeper.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

pkfan2004 posted:

Force 2/Matter 2/Screaming 2/Hair 4.

Nuhuh. It would be Life because you are interfering with a living pattern :words:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Casuals dont get emotionally invested in this game :colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Guys? Calm down please :ohdear: EVERYTHING in Mage is subjective. The Orders means different things to different mages. Please keep your ontological discussions ingame.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

That's just like... your opinion man. :colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I don't see the big deal about Arrow lawyers tbh. Could jut be a mage that sees every court case as his own personal battle, and the courtroom as his battleground. He must win this battle without mentally influencing the judge/jury, or in other ways use illegal means such as blackmail. Postcognition, mind reading and other things are all perfectly legitimate though. His virtue would be Justice.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

The problem is that a courtroom isn't an actual battleground by the Order's own standards. It's a symbolic battleground in some ways, so it might serve as good practice or a handy rote laboratory or something, but if the cliffs notes version of the character begins and ends with how good he is at throwing people into prison something has gone wrong.

Could also be exonerating people as a defense lawyer.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Stockholm Avslöjade

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

For anyone playing in New Orleans, don't forget that these wierdoes exist: http://www.neworleansvampireassociation.org/

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Well, I was thinking more of using them as a front for vampires, or a way for Guardians to do something

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yep, humanity roll every hour to stay awake. You don't get any penalties when night-time comes around again.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Okay. I need some help with this. In running a hunter game, how do players actually track a vamp/were/mage/whatever? Whenever the splatbooks describe them, they seem to be amazingly good at covering their tracks. Vampires can conceal bitewounds, mages can fix their passage with spells, and werewolves are just big dudes/dudettes that seems like a bunch of hippies.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Okay, so second question: How do I make a hunter story that isnt just monster-of-the-week?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Well, duh. But that doesnt really tell me how to piece together a story. "Everything sucks" isn't really the greatest motivator for keeping people invested in a game.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Tier one, maybe two. Dunno yet, I dont want the compact to become a crutch for my players. I'm thinking of setting it in the early 90s New York or Detroit.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 20, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Each tier has a fairly distinct style. T1 is about people encountering things they don't understand or have any obvious way to understand, T2 offers a framework for dealing with the monster, T3 an understanding of what the monsters are, etc.

So for T1 going to T2, a good non-episodic narrative would be to have monsters lead into other monsters, or if your players are willing to play out a bunch of ordinary people talking in a VFW hall or a Denny's, non-monstrous supernatural phenomena to begin with.

Say, for example, they encounter a draugr or revenant, which leads them to a vampire, and from there to a mage, and then to a werewoof, (the mage being a Thyrsus), and then they discover that the monsters are everywhere just as they enter T2. In other words, a fundamentally mystic narrative where each encounter initiates them further in supernatural mystery until the capstone revelation, the point where, to quote Springsteen, they look into the eyes of the sun.

Or just one set of associated monsters. Note that monsters absolutely shouldn't all be hostile. They should be abnormal, for sure, but not all hostile.

If you want to make an apocalyptic narrative out of this, then the revelations should involve prophetic flashes too. Probably would be a good idea to disassociate it from particular monsters, too.

Also, don't be afraid to include T3 hunters as monsters.

Definitely will include some Luciferge hunters as monsters aswell. Don't see much of TFV being monsters, and Malleus has that whole "act of god" going for them.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How do I make my players HATE monsters but also instill into them moral dilemma?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Magnusth posted:

Make taking them out cause collateral damage.

I was thinking of going with the "Are we the real monsters around here"

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Gilok posted:

I'm enjoying this argument because it isn't about Mage :allears:

A Mysterium mage would make a good defense attorney because its all about hiding evidence and facts.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I need ideas for how to portray the guardians of the veil in a post-public magic world.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Paradoxes still exists, but unbelief doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I was going for the magical enforcers and secret police too. Modern prisons can't really hold a mage of any kind.