Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

moths posted:

The Heroes are only "Heroes" because the "Beast" needs them to be. Because to admit a regular person's power over you acknowledges just how weak and powerless you really are. The Friendly's manager who threw you out for scaring kids? He must be a Hero of legend along the lines of Beowulf or Gilgamesh. Surely no mortal woman could pepper spray you, YOU the Primordial embodiment of fear itself, for groping her on the street. Lairs are hoarder's basements filled with useless trinkets pilfered from recycle bins. You're not Smaug, you're a guy who has convinced himself he's Smaug because the alternative is too dreadful to consider. You've found others like you, who reinforce your delusions in a toxic support group.

You know, I thought making Heroes the villains was like making Don Quixote a villain. I had it backwards. They're not heroic, they're not villainous, they're just pitiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So, would it be bad taste to put a review in the Fatal and Friends thread before the book even comes out?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Beast almost seems like it might work better as a book about Changeling's keepers coming to our world for a Hostel-esque vacation.

That's it. That's what these motherfuckers are. They're the True Fae that got "left behind" on Earth. Their myths and heroes are storycrafting or whatever it's called, it all makes sense.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did Onyx Path lose an editor last year? That's the only rationale I can think of for the drop in quality.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"What if you are the real monster?" "We are. But unlike you, we have a purpose beyond self-gratification. We were made to keep the spirit and flesh worlds in order, and you're loving up both. Now die."

"What if you are the real mons-" "Bitch, I work for the Federal Government, we're you on a global scale!"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

tatankatonk posted:

Beast doesn't make me want to stop playing nWoD/OPP games. It really, really makes me wish that a bunch of other people would stop playing them, forever.

Same here. I'm hoping Beast gets less support than Geist and dies a quiet death.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Pure would love them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cabbit posted:

This book is probably going to be the litmus test for recruiting new players for years to come.

"What do you think of Beast" and if the immediate reaction isn't visceral disgust then run.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

They've definitely loaded every splat down with rhetorically explosive win buttons in order to ensure that this is true.

Yeah, 2E's idea of balance appears to be "Jack everything up to 11 and hope it evens out." It's not working.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

What I don't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about is balance between gamelines. If you run a crossover, that's your own problem.

Where our two philosophies meet (that is, where I work for him) you get things like Beast's Lair system, where there's a central framework that the game then attaches any Environmental Tilt to.

So I take it you had nothing to do with Beast's crossover focus.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you Winson, for the sadly appropriate thread title.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

If we do another nWoD game, I kinda want to do a deliberately lower-powered one compared to the others.

Do Wraith, you know you want to.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How have your games been when you do crossover play, Ferrinus? I'll freely admit to being biased against it from bad chat game drama when I was in high school, but that was mostly the result of dick players and STs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Winson's not been a mod for awhile, that was probably Ettin.

Oops :downs:

Ferrinus posted:

We can only do this kind of stuff because we're playing in a setting in which all the "big" monsters have equal primacy on the character-meets-character level that RPGs run on and so there's no need to invent excuses for why so and so vampire can possibly ever stand up to such and such mage.

So it's more the implications of the mechanics (We have no clear advantage over X, we should be wary of them) that you want?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Beast Kickstarter rewards indicate a Hunter 2ed is in the works.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

After seeing how Beast is shaping up I'd be careful what you wish for.

"No Matt, we don't need your samples for the Ashwood Abbey art. No really, it's okay."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who called them pointing at the Kickstarter as the defense?

I don't care that Beasts run the gamut from petty annoyances to full blown psychopaths. I don't care that they've got a Special Snowflake place as the king shits of monsters. I don't even care that Heroes are the dumbest thing. It's the loving tone- it's this designation of protagonists and antagonists that is so alien to the rest of the World of Darkness, good taste, and common decency.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm trying to force my way though disappointment into a detached interest/dread of what horrible thing will be released next, any tips?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Compacts and Conspiracies was either written by morons or people playing favorites. See: Aegis Kai Doru getting three suggested options like most White Wolf setting mysteries, and the "gently caress you, it's vampires" for TFV. I'm not even sure why Cheiron is the way it is- telling their average hunter that their bosses are monsters is likely to be answered with "Do I still get paid?"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still like the idea someone posted in this thread that TFV is run by patriotic monsters who put country first. It's not because you're dead that you stop believing in AMERICA, after all.

There's a vampire in one of the antagonist books that's exactly like that, except he's French. :france:

My other favorite theory is "Mr. Burns"- there are so many supernatural creatures and things competing for influence that they cancel each other out and TFV basically functions as normal.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

quote:

I'm absolutely not a fan of 2e's strategy of picking out pet antagonists to spend tons of wordcount on and placing them in a privileged context in the rules. Beast's Heroes and Changeling's Huntsmen are just the most blatant examples of this.

I think because it mostly worked with the Strix, they're convinced it's needed everywhere. While Werewolf actually benefits from having the idigam fleshed out (There's plenty of other poo poo for the Uratha to fight if you don't like them), Prometheans don't need the alchemists they're trying to shoehorn in and the Huntsmen are looking way too prominent. Wonder if they've got anything planned for Geist?

quote:

I'm mixed on the idea of customizable Courts. It's really great in that it allows for creating new courts and a lot more cultural diversity. The original book paid lip service to the idea that not everywhere in the world even has the four seasons and that different parts of the world would have different court systems, and now it's actually delivering on that premise. However, being forced to design a setting within certain limits is going to produce more memorable and creative settings than complete freedom.

Same here. I always saw the court structure as being based on firm geographies and flows of time, things alien to the Fae- getting too abstract removes that barrier to them. There's also the approach to life/stages of grief motif that is lost (Excuse the pun) with their removal. It's also a bad choice for STs new to Changeling to be thrown in the deep end like this, though I'm sure there'll be more examples in the main book.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Geists probably actually do need it.

Yeah, "The Geist that merged with you was very much not supposed to do that and now Bad Things are looking for you." is a pretty good stick to the carrot of everything else about Sin-Eaters.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A lot of Lost also forget their names, and choose the "Fae" name as part of their new identity or in hope they can get their old one back.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sometimes it's better at being you, sometimes it's not, it varies from story to story.

On an unrelated topic, what happened to the "Scroll of Ages" Mummy mentions, and if that's not happening, is there a good list of inspirations/reference material anywhere?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

I love that they explicitly mentioned it in the book because it gets even funnier every year that it doesn't exist.

Inspirations for Mummy:
Jane Loudon's "The Mummy! A novel of the 22nd century"
Planescape: Torment
Music video for "Remember the Time"
"Return the slab or suffer my curse" episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog with the spooky animation

"The Scorpion King" starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson

Well I'm good then.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Roadie posted:

Bluebeard?

KILL YOUR ENEMIES AND TAKE ALL THEIR poo poo

Or at least that's how I interpret it. It's got a pretty happy ending for a classic fairy tale.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I just realized it, but Hellsing is hilariously a good inspiration for a Beast game with Alucard being a good Beast and the Major and Anderson being Heroes.

I'm a loving weeb.

The Major is a loving Nazi, not the kind of archetype you want for Heroes right now. Anderson worls, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's all well and good to say it's a freakish non-person that stole your life, but really...how much of a person are you at this point anyway?

More like "How much of that person are you?" After the poo poo you went through, the things you saw, the things you did, can you go back to your old life and family when you're already technically there? Would taking out your fetch just end up hurting them more and making things worse?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Much as standard-issue Lance theology is a twisted and corrupted Catholicism, these guys have latched onto the Prosperity Gospel and bent it backwards to fit.

Bend nothing, Prosperity Gospel fits the modern Sanctified to a T.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

The main twist is that in the real world, the Prosperity Gospel is, perhaps ironically, most popular with the poor as an attempt to try and control their situation.

:(

Yeah, you've got to research really carefully to avoid creating a World of Darkness that ends up better than our world in some ways. It's why I prefer to just focus on the monsters, real life is bad enough as-is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

To get to Shadow California, you just want to take Phantom Five down from our Washington and drive until you reach the outer darkness. If you run into prehuman spectres from beyond the dying stars, you went too far, stop for gas and ask a spectre for directions.

Once in Occulted Sacramento, take Darkest 80 towards the setting sun, through Fairfield of Death and Shadowed Vallejo, and finally into Forgotten Contra Costa and on to Black Oakland- wait, poo poo, this is nWoD, nevermind.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The latest Monday Meeting notes are up. They sound very promising.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's too late to make the game not creepy and lovely without a total rewrite, so I'm more concerned that the writers apologize and show that this whole clusterfuck wasn't intentional by changing what they can, so we can move on to better things.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blog post on Neolithic Mage/Werewolf is up. I don't know if I'm cool with an origin that Eurocentric for the Uratha, but it's not like there's a set canon for nWoD anyway.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The human culture we're showing is the Vinca (and we mention their neighbours), but the Uratha live in Pangaea, which stretches across the whole world.

How does that work? Will we see Uratha NPCs from other parts of the world?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, re-reading that post I have no idea how I thought it was Eurocentric, nevermind. I like the title, too, it's been too long since I listened to that song.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Almost makes up for the time I dared him to include Pilot's Oh Ho Ho It's Magic in the official Fallen World Chronicle (as was) soundtrack.

Please tell me he did it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was a good gameline. What a rotten way to die.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I was round at Chris' flat this evening (he wrote the Neolithic chapter) and commented that we seem to have gotten away with revealing that Father Wolf was not actually a Spirit. I was expecting more fan push-back on that one.

Father Wolf doesn't even exist in my version of Werewolf, so I don't really care :v:.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:corsair: I remember my first Technocracy derail- I started it! After 20 pages of grog fight, I decided old Mage should remain back in the 1990's where it belongs.

So, how about the Monday round-up and its stuff about Beast?

EDIT:

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Hey OP can you get Zizek to write C20's opening fiction? TIA

“In a traditional German toilet, the hole into which poo poo disappears after we flush is right at the front, so that poo poo is first laid out for us to sniff and inspect for traces of illness. In the typical French toilet, on the contrary, the hole is at the back, i.e. poo poo is supposed to disappear as quickly as possible. Finally, the American (Anglo-Saxon) toilet presents a synthesis, a mediation between these opposites: the toilet basin is full of water, so that the poo poo floats in it, visible, but not to be inspected. [...] It is clear that none of these versions can be accounted for in purely utilitarian terms: each involves a certain ideological perception of how the subject should relate to excrement. Hegel was among the first to see in the geographical triad of Germany, France and England an expression of three different existential attitudes: reflective thoroughness (German), revolutionary hastiness (French), utilitarian pragmatism (English). In political terms, this triad can be read as German conservatism, French revolutionary radicalism and English liberalism. [...] The point about toilets is that they enable us not only to discern this triad in the most intimate domain, but also to identify its underlying mechanism in the three different attitudes towards excremental excess: an ambiguous contemplative fascination; a wish to get rid of it as fast as possible; a pragmatic decision to treat it as ordinary and dispose of it in an appropriate way. It is easy for an academic at a round table to claim that we live in a post-ideological universe, but the moment he visits the lavatory after the heated discussion, he is again knee-deep in ideology.”

Kavak fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 23, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm loving dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

People have never really been good at handling or recognizing oWoD's love of the unreliable narrator in pretty much all setting text.

Overall I would say that made it a really bad decision but they stuck by it.

I haven't read any oWoD supplements in a long time, so is that unreliable 1st person or unreliable 3rd person narratives? Because if it's the latter, it's a really bad idea to trick people into thinking the text is being objective or make them cross reference multiple books to get an idea of what is actually happening in the setting.