Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Can we start a new thread already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's hard to put into words. Mage hubris is wanting to reign in heaven. Mad Science hubris is thinking if you ran the world using your supercomputer then there would be no more poverty.

I guess this is an accurate description of Mage if you ignore like 75% of it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You don't need special rules to have John Wayne Gacy in a game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The line is pretty out there, no doubt, but the write-up doesn't seem bad to me. It continues the trend of trying to convince you that the seeming/clan/whatever they are talking about is great and wonderful and make you want to play it, but that seems to make sense to me, especially if they are trying to portray Changelings less like victims and more like survivors.

If anything the tone I noticed both here and in Blood and Smoke seems... maybe vaguely childish, like they are trying to convince the teenager that isn't really sold on this whole roleplaying thing that these characters are super cool and he totally should want in on this action. It's not the approach I would have picked, but hey, maybe it works.

I was just thinking today after reading a bunch of this stuff that a lot of the writing the thread takes issue with seems to be edginess aimed squarely at 16 year olds.

It's not necessarily a bad target audience, it just doesn't strike me as anything I particularly want to read.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Covok posted:

I heard they're incorporating the God Machine Chronicle revisions back into the core book as a second edition. Is that out yet? I don't own World of Darkness and I've heard Second Edition is really good so I'd rather just buy one book, you know?

I think you can just buy Vampire or Werewolf 2nd edition as standalone games now, without having to go back and buy a core book at all. If you want to use one of the other lines I think you need the original core and whatever line book you're using + the free God Machine Chronicles rules update they put out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They sent out links to the M20 PDF!

It doesn't work. :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm really glad I sprung for the print edition of M20, this book is pretty as hell.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

Holy Christ, there's still a fax machine on the cover.

Isn't that the same art from an older edition?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, M20 is a very pretty book aside from some questionable art choices, but it seems to be taking a really hard ant-Traditions tack, to the point that the Hollow Ones and a bunch of the Crafts have gotten together to make their own Traditions with blackjack, and hookers.

Isn't this mostly because, as far as the metaplot is concerned, basically everyone in a leadership position of the Traditions get killed in the early oughts and all that's left is the Rogue Council that people aren't sure if they should trust or not?

If I run it I think I'm going to ditch most of the revised-era metaplot but keep the new Tradition names, because those are pretty good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mexcillent posted:

No, it's not Revised. But hey you guys are the goonxperts and never ever could be wrong or read things poorly or be expected to have actual experience playing or running things.

e: lol wait i was wrong, it was always in there

LMAO

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pope Guilty posted:

The best use of consensus reality in a game is The Esoterrorists, wherein magic isn't real because humanity doesn't believe in it. The titular Esoterrorists are a cabal of evil pieces of poo poo who want to be the Seers of the Throne, so they carry out what are basically terrorist attacks on consensus reality- staged occult killings, faked evidence of the existence of monsters, hoaxes that make it look like magic is real- in order to break down humanity's belief that the world is fundamentally orderly and safe from magical dangers. The PCs are basically trying to a) wreck their poo poo and keep magic fake and b) make sure nobody ever knows about it.

The veil out is one of my favorite concepts in a game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I keep gamely pitching Blue-books as well. There's only so many resources to go around.

*cracks whip*

Back to the Mage mines

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Onyx Path posted:

Many games using those systems do cinematic action (Exalted, for example), and do it very well,

wait, hold on

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Gumshoe, yes. Burning Wheel . . . well, I'll call it a *reaction* to it.

If I can't script my turns in Adventure 2.0 I am ~out~

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CommissarMega posted:

Point taken; I'm just going by the basis of the general sentiment that Beasts are monsters, yet supposed to be the good guys- if that's the case, we'd need worse guys.

For those who've been keeping up with the game, have they detailed Hero creation yet? Because I'd love to play Gaston.

The complete text of the book is on the kickstarter page.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'd give it a few days. See if McFarland or Rich T make any kind of official statement about this.

An official statement like "Thanks for taking us 27k over our goal with 25 days to go!"?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Loomer posted:

Now, I love the oWoD substantially (and substantively) more than the next man. I even love quite a lot of the cheesy nonsense of 1E and 2E, but to consider them superior story-wise or mechanically to Revised is loving madness. But it seems to be a large part of the groupthink over there that 2E was the peak of the oWoD, and its things like that that gives me huge concerns about C20 and even the way Beast has been handled. The vocal fanbase over there are really weird (they, of course, certainly think the same about us!)

Say what you want about the mechanics, but I think they handled the metaplot/setting changes between editions pretty much perfectly in Mage 20th, and if they take their cues from that, I hope the other 20th edition lines will be nice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crion posted:

Will be interesting to see if this Monday update consists of anything other than pointing at the Kickstarter that's well on its way to doubling its funding goal and saying, "Scoreboard." Obviously somebody wants this book, or thinks they do.

This is what I'm expecting. A mix of "thanks for backing this!" and "we're getting great feedback, keep it coming!"

I mean, really, doing something like pulling the book and rewriting would be a pretty unprecedented (for OPP) admission of failure, and they have a project that isn't actually failing because there are plenty of people paying for it. If the grumbling reaches critical mass, or someone says something unfathomably stupid in public and pledges start getting pulled, then they might change course.

I honestly can't see anything other than maybe reiterating that the text of the book is right there on the kickstarter page and people are free to make decisions based on it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's kind of amazing how Beast so thoroughly co-opts the language of people who are concerned with preventing and dealing with abuse to instead glorify and justify that abuse.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is Batman a Hero?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Flavivirus posted:

Just thinking about it, Melanie is basically a pc type for Orpheus - sleepers are people in medically induced comas whose spirits are projected out into the spectral plane to treat with ghosts and fight spectres.

(Orpheus is possibly the best game line white wolf's ever done and the only truly excellent meta plot I've ever encountered. It's a crime it's as obscure as it is.)

It's my favorite oWoD game by far, just because of how focused and good it is at what it's trying to do.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I keep trying to remember what Abberant was like but the only thing that comes to mind is TOY SALES

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah but now they never shut up about how they wasted that one dude with solar mirrors

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beast is awful and I can't even pretend to care about it anymore.

They wrote a lovely book, they got feedback telling them it was terrible, they took that feedback and wrote another terrible book. Bye, Felicia.

edit: who wants to play in my Requiem for Rome game stretching from the establishment of the Republic to the fall of the Empire?

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 28, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kibner posted:

Nice. TeX is similar, but more cumbersome. You use different tags to mark things (captions, images, chapters, quotes, words for indexing, etc.). You then call a command that will use those tags to output whatever you want wherever that command is called. This leads to things like table of contents, indexes, reference pages, etc. always having the correct page number.

Being able to do that kind of stuff without having to type all of it seems much easier. Especially when it comes to positioning images where you want them to appear on the page.

I have to use TeX to submit math homework, and formatting is often harder than doing the work itself. I can't imagine laying out a whole document in it, so I'm pretty impressed that you managed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm pumped for Hunter 2, at least if Slashers aren't playable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deviant: The Forums Superstar

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

omg omg omg omg

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I liked that the opening fiction in the old NWoD core book involved secret spooky trips to the moon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DJ Dizzy posted:

As a group.

Assume that your players actually want to play the game, so they have to buy into the setting conceit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The discounted cheap PoD version of M20 still cost me 40 bucks shipped, ended up being really expensive for a table copy that may or may not even see use.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah it does.

I'm looking to buy hardcovers of the 2nd edition books. Is DriveThruRPG my best bet? I've never purchased from them before.
I asked around my local huge game store and they said that they may never get the 2nd editions because Onyx Path have been non-communicative and bizarrely controlling.

If they didn't kickstart a book, DriveThru is your only option. The print-on-demand stuff they do is fine, I got the cheaper PoD version of Mage 20th the other day and it's perfectly usable, it just doesn't have glossy paper stock.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

As long as my copy of M20 shows up I don't really care what else happens.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Today's newsletter says OPP got the go-ahead to do a kickstarter for Changeling 20th, so it sounds like they'll still be working with Paradox to some extent.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've never read any of the old Changeling stuff, but it sounds really weird.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CoD Vlops

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, oWoD still has the bigger fanbase? After all these years? How is that possible?

Role playing games are very small, and only one out of the two lines made the crossover to other kinds of media.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It should be Paradox, since they bought the whole thing and could've killed the line entirely.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lightning Lord posted:

Was Requiem for Rome supposed to be like, canonical? Was it an alternate history type deal or is that sort of thing basically unimportant when it comes to VTR so the answer is just "Yes"

I think the answer is play a Rome game if you want to and otherwise don't worry about it, nerd.

The strix are a thing now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

When people keep saying to replace Ashwood Abbey with VASCU, aren't they different things? I thought AA was a compact and VASCU was a conspiracy.

At any rate, since it's The Slasher Chronicle I imagine VASCU will get plenty of page space.