Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Blitz7x posted:

I'm a pretty new roleplayer (only played a little 13th age before this) so I'm not trying to rock the boat. I'm also new to the WoD universe and gangrel seemed like a vampire druid with sickass clawns and my character reflects that he doesn't know a whole bunch about the Camarilla society on his character sheet as flaws (to mask my irl ones).

But yeah its the ST making me, but luckily he doesn't enforce it ooc. They all kinda joke about it though "haha aren't you supposed to be barking". I guess I just don't know enough about WoD

Yeah no that is extraordinarily weird. It sounds annoying at best and bizarrely powertrippy at worst. Does your ST keep you from bathroom breaks? Tell you not to breathe while you’re in char? Slap the burger out of your hand cause your humanity is too low for human food?

I would respectfully tell them to eat poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Phobeste posted:

Try not to judge the social interactions of the group without seeing them. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming, but I’m sure Blitz7x can find a happy medium. Maybe a voice changer or something if it’s a remote group? After all, the goal is for everybody to have fun. Maybe he could put on a dog onesie to get into the right headspace while playing?

Like the above guys mentioned it’s not even lore accurate.

You’d have to eat a lot of humanity losses and clean out a lot of stray dogs before I’d even be willing to come close to admit that a Gangrel took on such a severe affect

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Metaplot aside V5 is just a cleaner game design, and allows for more interesting stories to develop through the mechanics. Messy crits, stains, hunt archetypes, I think it tells a better game story than V20 when can get dragged down by mechanics in minute to minute play

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, I’d second the earlier poster - intentionally getting you two steps blood bound should 100% be a justifiable reason to agg them into torpor, wake them, feed them, rinse repeat three times.

Then ask them nicely to wander into the daylight.

The last part is, of course, metagaming and the exact opposite of a blood bond, but the first seems justified and also is the kind of yandere nonsense that an inter-coterie blood bond yields.

For its flaws I’m glad V5 largely got rid of blood bonding. It was an interesting idea for a wrinkle to cause tension in the party but ends up just being skeevy at best

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Regardless of the context (which is teetering on transphobic/homophobic) there are plenty of other examples of “how do I treat a prey exclusion in cases where the feeding vampire doesn’t know whether or not prey qualifies”. If your blonde prey dyes their hair red, and you only feed on redheads, guess what that meal is coming right back up.

Ignoring the differentiation between sex and gender, if I was the ST I would probably say anybody with a Y chromosome is on the menu. If you want to then make calls on whether a character is intersex or anything else youre at least working with distinct rules and not debating the social construct of gender through a pair of plastic vampire fangs

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 26, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

To me the equally unnerving part of that situation is the “no kids” rule which I can imagine you’ll run into like a brick wall in an similarly suspicious context. Feeding on a kid should be carte blanche humanity stain imo.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and wants to reinforce traditional gender roles like a duck, then it’s a duck

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Shrecknet posted:

OK. I play in a BNS V20 Vampire LARP. I just got gakked last game so now I need a new character. It's an approximately 40 person game, and I am taking suggestions based on the following information:
  • "Inigo Montoya Clause" prevents me from playing a Ventrue, since that's the clan I was
  • Malkavians and Nosferatu are ridiculously over-represented. This means a Malk or Nos would give me more people to play with, but also make my character immediately redundant
  • There is one "Independent" slot open if I want to play a Setite or Giovanni (there is currently 0 Setites and 1 Giovanni), but I know nothing about really playing either of those clans
  • I don't want anything to do with combat, because the only thing Vampire LARP does worse than everything else is combat, which always ends up as stupid boring mass combat
  • I like to play monsters/low humanity/'bad guys' because the hugbox of people who don't get that Vampires are actually Apex predators and humans are cattle irritates me.
Please pitch me your terrible concept/thing you've always wanted to play.

Congrats, you want to play as a Giovanni.

You’re a mafia tough guy/gal. Insular to the clan like a Tremere because of Necromancy secrets but even more so because you’re not a Cam (plus the Cam explicitly don’t want you to join). Clan curse is a painful feed so that plus the Mafia posturing gives you motive to treat humans like scum. Spend you sessions dominating people and doing ghost rituals.

The Gentleman has a decent summary of them plus he licks the book like 8 seconds in which is worth sticking around for on its own https://youtu.be/qMDS31V0PbE

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

E - yeah actually if it means I’m on 👆that guy’s side then maybe V5 is bad

Mendrian posted:

I mean it's cool, like what you like and welcome to the thread. I'm just curious where all these people are coming from who are hepped up on v5 when the thread has basically been, at best, "couple cool ideas, mixed execution" about the whole thing. Did something expose a bunch of new people to V5?

At the very least you have to admit that the people in this thread are v experienced WoD long-timers and are super familiar with the mechanics and lore of most/all of the books, which is not the norm

Most of my TTRPG experience is a grab bag of DnD, PBTA, Fudge variants and some V20 so mechanically I think V5 expresses its intention a lot better and a lot cleaner than pretty much any other game I’ve played (other than maybe CoC)

So, to offer opposition, it feels like the strongest dislike of the game from in here is about some group of shithead nazis who put their shithead Nazi ideas in, which based on my understanding from lurking in here were removed?

Tl;dr - I like game, thread does not like game for reasons that feel like inside baseball/shop talk that your average V5 player wouldn’t have ever even heard about.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Social combat in particular is one of the more elegant ways I’ve ever seen an TTRPG handle that facet of RP

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Are they free to buy with xp you illiterate

Actually Illiterate is a flaw, you can't buy it with XP

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ferrinus posted:

That's not necessarily true, and the way it's harder is the cool in-character way that provides for bigger in-game challenges and roleplaying opportunities. Conversely, it's always less expensive than boosting your mainline powers to new heights. How come nontraditional characters end up behind on XP than traditional characters? Wouldn't you want to reward rather than punish people for branching out in unusual ways?

I've read all your posts and don't quite understand what specifically the hangup is.

You said the fix would be easy, what is it?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

What's the go to book to get into Mage?

The Mage thread is that way, friend

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

now that we know that V5 is bad or whatever we can go back to talking about inventing different types of cool new vampire

My idea for a new kind of vampire - a vampire who doesn’t drink blood. They drink piss.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

now as payment for writing this everyone has to say nice things about my other ideas I had.

The mervamps are weird in a cool way, although I couldn’t imagine playing one in a game. But being a soggy gross dude who always trying to lure people to the beach could be fun.

Perhaps auspex? Any creature that lives at the bottom of the ocean would need some pretty advanced vision/detection ability

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Shrecknet posted:

More importantly, people have known about the importance of bullet-shaped chargen in WW games for decades, so when your fifth bite at the apple using your flagship property still gets it wrong, it's a massive red flag that nothing is changed or better.

Or, at risk of being lumped in with the spam brigade, they don’t consider it a problem and think the benefit of keeping it light and streamlined better than making it crunchy and more convoluted

It really feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill but if it’s been a problem for decades I can see why people get peeved by it. The possibility of being XP inefficient compared to a fellow player isn’t going to keep me up at night imo.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Joe Slowboat posted:

The thing that gets me about V5's character building issues is that 'flat but high costs for Discipline dots' seems like not only an easy fix, but much easier bookkeeping. Chronicles games do that (or at least all the ones I've played do) and it's far simpler than costs which scale with purchase.

Having multiple non-equivalent routes to the same set of character sheet elements is just sloppy, and is one of the things fans of Ex3 were most exhausted by when the Original, Bad Devs (tm) kept them in. It's possible to like a game and also recognize that it has meaningful flaws that need to be fixed by the developers or by house rules.

It is also kinda weird how a flurry of posters all declaring 'V5 is amazing, no I will not be discussing this further' showed up at once. Oberst's multiposts and insistence that nobody who disagrees plays the games are uniquely obnoxious, though. Just edit your post if you need to add more, please!

:jerkbag:

Sorry for not citing the 25 year publishing history of White Wolf games when making a statement like “one dot on character creation placed sub-optimally is not a system-breaking mechanic”

I’ll go back to lurking so you guys can gatekeep the thread back into talking about OWOD mage lore from the 90’s

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

And so the second Week of Nightmares ends, not with a bang but with a whimper

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hey so, what really is the difference between Presence and Dominate?

Other than the obvious which is the actual powers behave differently. But like, in the abstract don’t they end up accomplishing the same goal? You either make somebody do something with mind control, or you make somebody do something by being so cool and impressive. They just seem a bit too similar.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Has anybody taken the WoD game mechanics and set it in a totally mundane, non-WoD setting.

I wanna play Person: The Human. I have an idea for a character who’s an office worker that is particularly skilled at guitar and cooking.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Thought I would share my V5 story in here, since every other V5 story in here is of some lovely ST.

My 3 dot fame Toreador Anarch EDM DJ got #MeToo’ed. Well, got set up, at least. We came to discover that my long lost sire had flipped to the Camarilla, and was using a human fashion model to accuse me and try and destroy my career as they (Cam) were trying to gain a foothold in the city. Of course being Toreador I was specced pretty heavily into Presence and took the Siren feeding type, so even my fellow Anarchs and my coterie totally believed I had done it at first. The accusation came in the form of a social media post (my character spends a lot of transit/free time poking away at twitter/IG) and it became such a big part of the story that I found my character meeting with a publicist to try and find a way to fight the narrative without being a misogynist.

I’ve known the GM for a while so it wasn’t one of those “lmao this is an excuse to point out that there are false accusers in the movement” moment, and when we finally “resolved” it (I was able to get the woman to redact her claim, I invited her to one of my shows, but even now I still get flak from some strangers every once and a while) one of the players told me that she was surprised with the amount of tact and depth we were able to explore on the topic without getting all gross with it or trivializing it.

So yeah, game is good if you play with good cool people. I can’t think of another system with this kind of interpersonal mechanics to hang something that weighty on. There is also a much greater personal tragedy for my eternally optimistic character where he’s gonna have to kill his sire at some point (tried and failed more than once to bring her back to the anarch fold, coterie is pissed at me for being kinda pacifist) , but that’s ancillary to the above story.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mors Rattus posted:

On a certain level, there is a kind of irony about a vampire having to find a way out of that given that they basically do just intimately assault people all the time.

Just, y'know, not that kind of assault.

Yeah we generally do a tasteful “fade to black” because literally nobody is here for ERP, but I really shudder to think about using my powers on the unwilling. Luckily my character is super hot and popular so there’s always somebody willing around.

And I had a talk with the ST before the game started about it, making real fuckin clear where the line is drawn. Just because you have mind control powers doesn’t mean you have to be a piece of poo poo.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Less a WoD specific issue but more of a general roleplaying issue. Stoplight system is generally a good thing, especially if the setting touches on issues that necessitate it.

Generalizing based on the lack of context in your post, but the context of your kinda toxic table based on previous sessions, I’d say it sounds like the ST saw the red, and diverted the NPC encounter. You’re both probably responsible for taking the conversation down that route, but if it were me I would (delicately and non-confrontationally) ask the player what you can do to avoid the situation from happening again.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't recommend trying to actually play out feeding because it runs you head-long into the problem of how the gently caress the masquerade works for people who don't either subsist off animals or have three dots of Dominate.

Agreed but the opposite. V5 asks you to base your vamp’s personality around their feeding habits. Sure it generally ends up being a solo scene but they’re usually relatively short and can be fun character-building moments (recently my atheist hedonist Toreador DJ has been going to a church group early and “confessing their sins” to the pastor). Plus, if you’re cultivating resonance you can get some RP bonuses for not just breezing over the neck drinky part.

The game is called Vampire the Masquerade, it’s in the title, it’s like playing Dungeons and Dragons but skipping the dungeon to just get to the loot at the end

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If nothing else it can be a small vignette to break up the main story action (and give everybody else a 2 minute break to stretch your legs, grab a drink, etc)

Like anything else it’s a mechanic to introduce some novel scenario and possibly create some friction. Everybody can carry around sippy cups of blood or you can have fun with it

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I hate V5 therefore I think all of the V5 books are bad therefore they are useless QED is hardly a solid basis of argument.

My V5 group is using all of the books. I haven’t read any Chicago stuff or the Cam book cause I didn’t need to for my character but the Anarch book was fine. I’m not a fan of what they did to Oblivion but it’s something different which is admirable I guess.

The “value” we got out of them was the introduction of new clans, new lore sheets, new rules etc, which sounds stupidly obvious when I have to say it out loud. I used the rules in the rule books to play a character in a game, value achieved.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Jhet posted:

If you really like the system, that's great. There's probably room for you to have a good game within that system. But whitewashing the issues isn't going to win arguments, and accepting those issues will do a lot more to further the discourse.

Obviously the Nazi edgelord poo poo is unacceptable, obviously (which I will gladly mention any time I praise V5), and the dripfeed of content coupled with a Kickstarter release/prerelease model reeks of a project which is for sure limited in budget. I’m not intimately familiar with the budget and finances of OPP but that just feels like the way this poo poo all headed.

Relegating V5 to the dumpster before the players guide is even out is kinda betraying any objective opinion tho. I happen to find it streamlined and different without betraying the feel of old jampire books, and most importantly fun (more fun than V20, which is just my opinion, of course).

Also I’m not trying to “win“ any arguments. Is this an argument?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Metapod posted:

Ah you're one of those people

Easy now, buddy. It’s a perfectly fair argument.

The problem is when people in this thread try to argue that the game is mechanically mad because they allowed nazis to put Nazi poo poo in their books. That just doesn’t make sense.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Jhet posted:

Honestly, my point is simply that you cannot divorce the two. A book is the sum of its whole, not just certain parts.

Fair enough. Even armed with the knowledge of the history of its writing, I didn’t find the V5 material to be dripping with subtexual facism. There is power play, and dominance/submission, and mature sexual stuff, and hell if you ctrl+f “rape” you’ll get at least one result off the top of my head.

But like Digital Osmosis said, sometimes this stuff poisons the well for you, sometimes it doesn’t. For me it doesn’t, and I thoroughly enjoy all the new stuff even if I haven’t had a chance to use it in-game (except what they did to Lasombra/Oblivion :argh:)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ettin posted:

Don't Do Edition Wars rule

Please god yes, edition wars are the most tired and pointless conversations in gaming but it is my clan bane to engage in them when I see them

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Libertad! posted:

...had their PC get #metoo'd with a false rape accusation and used said hashtag terminology.

At risk of dredging up the poo poo again I take extreme umbrage with this characterization. I literally shared that story as a counterpoint to the other stories you posted, that it is possible to use the setting as a way to explore prescient and tragic issues in a way that’s still respectful of the players and of the issue itself.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Xinder posted:

And it had the opposite effect on me when you originally posted it. “My gm is good because they thought it was a good idea to bring #metoo into a vampire game where an npc did a *false accusation* on a pc” is really gross right on the face of it. Everything after that is just trying to salvage the wreckage.

If that’s the impression you got of my story then clearly I did a horrible job explaining it, and actually I’m just going to drop the whole thing because any time I try to make a good-faith effort to talk about my positive experience with V5 in this thread it gets rebuked and lumped into some weird cabal of trolls/sockpuppets

See y’all in the V5 thread (but not metapod)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh I am fully expecting literally the whole thing to blow up in his face somehow. That's part of the fun, I love playing him, but he is very much not me, and I have had a backup character in mind for ages because he was feeling very much at the start like his lovely charisma skills were just too much of a liability and I might just end up handing him over to the ST as a lore-fountain and starting fresh. Despite having been around for 200 years he's basically done nothing to actually join in with Kindred society, he just hides in his library-sanctum doing research.

There is nothing more liberating in a plot-heavy tabletop game than deciding you’re ready for a character to die in a blaze of glory/chaos

E- “Die” meaning both final death or escaping the country leaving big breaches in your wake

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2019