Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Inzombiac posted:

What's the title? I keep searching but only get the revised Masquerade book.

Nosferatu: The Beast That Haunts the Blood. (See also Ventrue: Lords Over the Damned, Daeva: Kiss of the Succubus, Gangrel: Savage and Macabre, and Mekhet: Shadows in the Dark.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but have the Tremere been statted out for Mage 2e?

They're in Nameless and Accursed, which is not yet released. A preview has been put up of one of the Houses from the writeup, but it's only the House details, not the overall Tremere template.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Changelings it was strongly implied in 1e anyway, and in 2e you start hitting breaking points against Clarity with progressively larger pools, until Wyrd 10, the equivalent breaking point as premeditated murder.

Becoming Nightmare, the infamous section on high-Wyrd changelings becoming Gentry from 1e's Equinox Road, doesn't actually say that the transformation is caused by Wyrd 10. Wyrd 10 is a prerequisite for the transformation, but no specific trigger is ever described to reliably cause the onset of the transformative process except for "a moment that should be neatly discussed by both Storyteller and character." That said, there are significant enough drawbacks for excessive Wyrd in 1e without Becoming Nightmare: accumulating frailties, and optionally, the expanded high-Wyrd seeming blessings and curses from Equinox Road.

2e's Clarity attacks I read as initial shocks rather than lasting trauma; hitting Wyrd 10 is a huge shock, yes, but once the shock has passed and healed, it doesn't recur. The frailties are still there, though.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

This reminds me (in a good way) of the Rumours thread we used to have on RPG.net. Someone put them all into a pdf:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ls4xd2jn5bf5pj/World_of_Darkness_Rumors.pdf/file

Some good stuff in there.

Compiling this PDF was my only real self-taught Scribus project, and I did it the hardest-headed way possible. If I ever wanted to update it, editing it internally would be a nightmare. Every chapter of rumors is one continuous text string that overflows from one page's text box into the next. If I ever do it again, I gotta do it smarter.

Fortunately, I think the problems are mostly invisible on the reader's end. It just doesn't look quite as pretty as I could have made it if I were smarter.

I'm very proud of the "back cover" that exists solely to mimic the format of actual books.

And yes, the Rumors in the Style of Unknown Armies threads were amazing, which is what motivated me to put this together.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Outwardly projected vertigo. People who look at you, at perfect eye level, feel like they're looking down over the railing of a ship. Your normal speaking voice sounds like a shout heard from very far away.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Terratina posted:

So, with Nu Woof, is it assumed that all PCs are of the same tribe starting out, or otherwise?

About as much as Mage PCs are assumed to be all of the same Order. They're player options, there for players to choose from. NPCs probably are more likely to form single-tribe packs, just because werewolves of like mind are likely to group together, but PC groups are almost always the daring oddballs anyway. The tribes are also more like loose networks of support, education, and oral tradition than explicit organizations, being less formal and structured than Covenants or Orders.

In 2e, there's a significant advantage to the flexibility of having multiple tribes in one pack. Each tribe is attuned to a different facet of the Rite of the Sacred Hunt which is a little better at hunting particular types of prey, and there's neither taboo nor difficulty in leading packmates from other tribes in your tribe's aspect of the Rite. Your pack can only go on one Sacred Hunt at a time, I believe, but the more variants of the Rite are shared within your pack, the more you can adapt each hunt to fit the hunted.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Libertad! posted:

So I've been checking Mors' Rattus' F&F of Shunned by the Moon when I can, and it's a pretty stellar Werewolf sourcebook. As someone who only has the 2e CoD book of WtF, can any shapeshifting veterans in this topic recommend me some of Werewolf's other best books?

The only other 2e book currently out is The Pack, plus the Werewolf eras in the Dark Eras and Dark Eras Companion books (of which The Sundered World from the former and Forsaken by Rome from the latter are quite good).

Looking over 1e Werewolf books, Predators was the go-to book for grasping the ecology and character of the Shadow throughout first edition (and contains some classic spirits like Little-Road-Tyrants, the extremely bossy and not especially powerful spirits of traffic lights). Night Horrors: Wolfsbane is the 1e counterpart to Shunned by the Moon and follows a similar format with some thematic similarities, although it's not quite as creative as some of SbtM's ideas and cleaves more to individual characters than classes of character. It's got Urazakh-Angir, though, who remains one of my favorite Werewolf NPC writeups. The War Against the Pure, while it only devotes one chapter to it (and is otherwise about large-scale conflict with the Pure and epic gifts and blessings), is the favored choice for introducing other types of shapeshifting breeds to the nWoD, given that the book ostensibly dedicated to providing this was the execrable World of Darkness: Changing Breeds.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The important thing is ghosts are human. Spirits aren't. Ghosts have wants and needs based on their human lives, the people they left behind, their fears of what's to come and so on. They don't give a poo poo about resonance - they "feed" on the energy generated by memorials and other recollections of the living for them (and, y'know, sacrifices to them and so on). They tend to be weaker than spirits, but they also are easier to talk to. You don't have to reframe stuff to fit their obsessive alien minds, because they don't have those. They're people and understand people things.

Also, and this is important, most ghosts are literate, and most spirits aren't outside of First Tongue. Ghosts make much better spies.

Also of note: the typical ghosts you find drifting through Twilight in the material world divide between Rank 2 "lemures," fully self-aware people who recognize that they are in this awful dead state, and Rank 1 "lares," whose self-awareness is intermittent at best, and who sometimes don't even realize they are dead at all. Lares reenact behaviors from life, something like the shopping mall zombies from Dawn of the Dead, or mourn their deaths in repetitious fashions. They're the ghost stories where you can hear the dead woman weeping and looking for her child every moonless night.

I bring this up because there's also a recognition in Geist that funerary rituals, even improvised ones performed by ordinary people with no occult familiarity, can ease the passing of the dead. Strictly speaking it's presented as a rite that can help a ghost pass on if it releases its anchors, and the default assumption is that the difference between rising as a lare, rising as a lemure, or not rising at all is associated with the deceased's Integrity at death, but it's a good opportunity to highlight that your player's funerary rites, specifically, had some effect and weren't meaningless, by having these ghosts rise as self-aware, conversational lemures, and use either other deaths in the incident or deaths elsewhere or later in your chronicle to draw the contrast with hazy, uncommunicative lares.

Additional consideration: some ghosts are going to be very interested in somebody they know can see and hear them, because if you didn't leave behind strong emotional bonds with friends and family, recovering Essence after the initial shock of death could become a much bigger hassle than for a spirit cruising for Resonance. The ghosts for whom this is an issue are already probably a handful to deal with for the same reason they drove people away from them in life.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is this the worst idea or what? I can't wait.

Maybe monitor the event for actual real-life jackasses. They can be dumb jackasses in character, that's fine, have fun, but I've heard there are enough horror stories that you might want to keep an eye out with a blind all-call like this.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Mulva posted:

I mean if it was Geist I would understand, that was their last game. Back the new game, get the last game cheap. Or a total medley, also makes sense. Back the new game, get the older games cheap. But going "Back the new game, get this very specific older game in particular cheaper"? That is just weird.

That's what's so baffling about this tier. "We'll offer you PDFs at a reduced price" is a tier they've offered before in previous Kickstarters, and the selection they started with makes perfect sense: the mortals rulebook and the three "core" gamelines the CofD first launched with. Then they look to expand that list and Beast is the first one they go with?

I can only hope it's a sign of desperation, that Beast's sales lag behind everything else and this is a faint attempt to try to save it. Not that it should be saved. Bury Beast and move on.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Octavo posted:

Finished reading the first two Deviant manuscript previews and I'm really liking it. I skipped out on both Contagion and Geist (and Beast /shudder), but Deviant is doing all the things I like. I especially like that this game has really focused themes but a very broad approach to canon/continuity. Since the Deviants' powers are fueled by a soul that's been cracked open, that soul-wound can be caused by super-science, dark rituals, possession, gene hacking, cursed bloodlines, and a ton of other things. There's a lot of conscious effort to be able to emulate specific recurring kinds of characters. To that end, character creation ends up doing way way more to establish the setting of your particular game. Since Touchstones come in two flavors (your confidants and your hated enemies or ritual sites/labs), you end up determining several of them at the beginning along with the conspiracy itself.

:yeah: to everything here.

The contrast between the Contagion Chronicle and Deviant Kickstarters feels really stark to me. You can see the careful attention Dave B. and Eric Z. have poured into focusing and directing the development of Deviant over multiple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Zereth posted:

... is Beast a type of changeling? You don't have a Beast: The Abuse Elementals character in your game?

Yes, Beast is a type of changeling. Beast is the Seeming for changelings who emerge from the Durance with the traits of wild or domesticated animals, often having spent their time in Faerie as mere beasts to populate the Gentry's glades or serve them as hunting hounds.

So that's another point against Beast: the Primordial: stole a major preexisting splat title that fit better where it was already.

If you really want to play paranoid hardball and not take a few risks on behalf of a clearly suffering fellow person, why would you have to give him staggering benefits in exchange for an oath of loyalty? He could certainly refuse to swear an oath that didn't offer him much benefit to swear, but you could also certainly refuse to keep lugging a head around in a bag, and the head's not going to have much it can do about that.

But seriously, be the change you want to be in the world. Take a few risks. Help Fernando.

Shouldn't this thread get locked or something so that we don't have people simultaneously posting here and in the new Of Darkness Megathread?