Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I now want a Mage cabal where they all use overwrought Puritan Bible verse name schemes. "Armor of God Smith." Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Jones" etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The way they currently work the only media that I can think of that really works for a beast is J. Walter Weatherman from Arrested Development, who's at least managed to monetize teaching lessons by terrorizing people.

The nightmarish horror suddenly sits up and growls, "AND THAT'S WHY YOU ALWAYS LEAVE A NOTE."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That's not how Lost Changeling work, though; they're folks who were kidnapped and altered, not 'special souls'.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Man, Kithbook Satyr wasn't the bad one. At least not compared to KB: Pooka. Satyr was basically kind of...aware of how potentially skeevy it was and kind of deliberately avoided touching on it, from what I remember. KB Pooka, on the other hand, went right off the deep end into catgirls in bondage masks and way too many paragraphs on animal-people banging.

(Of course, then there was the fan-made KB: Boggan which turned the house elf kith into naked assassins.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One of the boggan-only flaws was "Can't wear clothes and use their kith benefit at the same time" (Which, to be fair, was a thing with several kinds of house spirit.)

They also gave them some stupidly overpowered treasure weapons that were mostly good for killing people from surprise. The flaw points from the former would pretty much pay for the latter.

Math resulted in naked boggan hitmen.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

In the NWOD, the average regular person would be hosed if the PC splats went missing because predatory spirits would have nothing keeping them in check, angels would perfectly carry out their ineffable orders without breaking down, and anyone kidnapped into Elfland wouldn't ever be able to escape. Oh and also we'd probably have been overwritten into the Prince of 100,000 leaves already.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Basically it's a branding thing so Paradox can have their "One World of Darkness" but OP can continue making NWOD books. Honestly it reads like stuff worked out as best as it possibly could.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It looks like the in-house abbreviation is the CofD.

Okay, I appreciate that there's a "Hellboy's pockets: The merit."

quote:

Esoteric Armory (• to •••••)
Effect: Your character is the go-to guy when one
needs a knife carved from the bone of a martyred
saint, a hawthorn stake, rock salt shotgun shells,
the powdered remains of cremated suicides or any
number of other things. No matter how strange
the need, you’ve got it covered. After successfully
researching an ephemeral entity’s Bane, compare
your dots in this Merit to the entity’s Rank. If the
merit is equal to or greater than its Rank, you’ve got
what you need in your Armory. You should decide
along with your Storyteller where the Armory is,
though; a one-dot Esoteric Armory can fit in a large
bag, but a four- or five-dot one will fill a house.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hellboy did it first! :colbert:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I love the new crafting/equipment stuff just for the whole abstracted planning stuff, where you build "a plan" as a piece of equipment that gives bonuses for making rolls relevant to what you planned to do.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As an LCG, right? I mean. Not as a CCG. That would be crazy. :ohdear:

I mean, I'm not sure I was even able to sell any of my V:tES this year, maybe this'll help me dump it. I always thought of it as "mechanically rigorous without actually being fun".

Well, they have mentioned reaching out to FFG...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Given the Iliad was written in Greek, not Latin, (And for that matter, so was the Odyssey, where the Cyclops story appeared) that doesn't seem all that likely, really. (In Greek, he introduced himself as Οὖτις,)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's not so much a racial slur in Canada (Canadian Métis use it for themselves, and not in a "We're reclaiming a lovely word" way, but like, on official forms, on the census, and a description of their cultural group) and it's sure as gently caress better than calling them "Half breed", which -is- derogatory) it's that the implications of how it's used in Werewolf make it really awkward when the racial group is right over there.

One is "We're a unique culture of mixed race descent".

The other is "These two people should not have had a kid."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

In other news, Scion 2e is apparently trucking along through development. I wonder if it'll be bad like Scion 1e or if they learned!

The system preview stuff's at least been interesting and not "bad copy/paste of Exalted", so that's more promising from the start.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's been brought up before, but the Norse pantheon power is to Norse religious belief as .having a section on the "Jewish' pantheon and giving everyone a Blood Libel based ability that causes them to grow horns and tails at higher level.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That is certainly a statement that was made by someone now in charge of the gameline.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'd -hope- that the video-game side of Paradox is smarter than to try and do an MMO these days. I mean, really.

...Instead we'll get a Werewolf MOBA.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I came in towards the tail end of Revised and I'm a die-hard nWoD fan so for my money, yes. I think the idea that the WoD taking itself seriously means the same thing as the WoD being less fun or exciting comes at least in part from a lot of the people who e.g. saw Ascension Revised as a traitorous plot to turn Mage into Vampire.

I wonder what that guy's been up to lately since he's managed to get banned from every place he might ever interact with someone who wrote for the OWOD.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Doodmons posted:

What in the name of loving christ is that

That is pre-MCU Nick Fury with no shirt facing off with some rear end in a top hat who can't coordinate his footwear with the rest of his wardrobe, because who wears combat boots with a kimono?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Technically I think Kenneth Hite's a character in some mage sourcebook fiction except they murdered him in the same book so I don't think that counts, but he'd be my favorite.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Wow, Arcadian Body got a hell of a boost. No longer chargen only, includes the extra stat dot instead of making you buy that separately...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So in other news, CofD Corebook' PDFs's gone to the final version and the Print on Demand options are up- just got the coupon link to order the physical copy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There were entire sections of 1E Changeling sourcebooks dedicated to Talespinning; how you can gently caress with narrative and how the narrative might gently caress with you back. Like the key danger was the risk that you might go full Drosselmeyer and be all "DANCE TO MY WHIMS, PUPPETS"

So it's not just a mage-Arcadia thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I always just wondered why Brujah weren't the clan of magic vampires.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_Tzimiskes was an actual dude, at least, so.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yes, there's absolutely no possible relationship between "Eastern european vampires whose hat is being eastern european nobles." and "Eastern Roman Empire ruler whose name probably comes from an ethnic group that is a sizable eastern european minority, it'd be crazy to make that connection.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

My favorite speculative interpretation is that Tzimiskes means "red boot", because then Ioannes Tzimiskes I survived to the modern day as a TV actor, known for his work on "The Red Shoe Diaries".

Turns out that in the NWOD, still the same vampire, he's just the one funding Task Force Valkyrie from behind the scenes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'm still just boggling at:

quote:

1) Gothic vampire stories rely on verisimilitude to work. Dracula, Varney and Carmilla are full of believable mundane details and are framed as true narratives for a reason.

Because it makes my head hurt and I do not think this man has ever actually read any gothic vampire fiction.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, but he also referenced Varney, which, for example, was supposedly set in the 1700s but continually referenced contemporary-to-the time-it-was-written-events instead, literally ripped off the plot of Frankenstein at one point for several chapters in a row because 'hey, this galvanic science stuff is popular', gave multiple origin stories and changed up the motives for the title character repeatedly... It may have referenced real places, but only because it couldn't decide where any of the stuff going on was happening, since sometimes the same setpiece location might be located in relation to a different city.

We're not talking a masterwork of verisimilitude here.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

MalcolmSheppard posted:

That's because it was a penny dreadful.

Which is kind of -beside the point- when we're specifically talking about a quote where it was called out for being realistic, dude.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

My favorite Harpy concept is a stressed out social media/computer geek.

"Okay, this is a cell phone. If you don't have one, you will stand out. No, that's the unlock button. Yeah, okay, it's just called that, there's no actual key. Here, let me see that.... how did you get ten toolbars and BonziBuddy!? This is an iPhone!"

"Now that you know what a cell phone is, let me introduce you to cameras. Remember how everyone has a phone? Every phone has a camera, which means anybody can record anything anywhere. As soon as they do, assume it's on the internet and shared by everyone."

"I realize that you all have cameras now, but please stop taking selfies. You don't even show up in them, you're just a blur, which is kinda a HUGE GIVEAWAY when you upload it to facebook. Besides, it's obnoxious, stop it."

"Raven, you need to stop posting everything to Twitter. Hunters can see your tweets, and you are LITERALLY being followed by @MalleusMaleficarum, @VampireStaker and @VALKYRIEDoesntExist. Can't you just post racist poo poo like all the other old people?"

I've played this, but as a Winter Court changeling helping people who've just escaped after 20+ years. (The other part of his job was to be ready to shoot them if they started going "But man, it wasn't all bad back in my durance, why's everyone so down on the evil elves who kidnapped us anyway?" )

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

They're going to license the Skyrim/Fo4 engine to do Bloodlines 2, electric boogaloo, creating a vortex of bugs unlike anything ever seen before.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Because a lot of Mage fans tend to blame all the stuff they don't like in Mage on the Revised developers despite Brucato laying most of the groundwork for it or being outright responsible for it. So instead it's like "Look, we got that guy you like back!"

Never mind that the -last- thing he'd written for the WOD was...NWOD: Changing Breeds.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Geist tends to be my go-to-game for "This could be a hunter pitch, but it's really ghost focused so let's do a Sin-eater thing with it instead." Like "There's a secret circle of Tim Powers "Fault Lines trilogy" -style Ghost Huffers keeping themselves young by inhaling ghosts trapped in bottles." could be a Hunter or a Sin-eater antagonist, but Sin-eaters have a much stronger motive to go after people literally eating ghosts to stay young forever.

Edit: Also it seems like half the "Immortals" blue book would be natural Sin-eater antagonists given the whole vague "Sin-eaters go after Abmortals" thing. Blood Bathers and Body thieves, especially.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 12, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

WOD souls are interchangeable parts that aren't really what we think of when we think of souls. You're still you without your soul (Though you're in bad shape.) IF you lose your soul you're fine once you replace it with something relatively equivalent.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

You got a seven day ban for the Beast in Dark Eras thing. You got a permanent ban for sending the admins multiple copy-pasted angry appeal letters.

Like, I'm pretty sure if you did that here after a probation, they'd probably permaban you too, but first they'd post the letters being read aloud in a funny voice somewhere

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So in the original draft, one of the sample heroes was a teenaged girl who was attacked by a beast. She chased it out of her house, but it left her in a coma, where she now wanders around in the creepy nightmare beastlands, killing monsters and trying to find her way home. So that left us with two questions:

Why is the game _NOT ABOUT PLAYING HER_.

Why is she a villain, since the whole thing with heroes in that draft is that they were assholes. She defended herself when she was attacked.

So in an effort to justify her being in the wrong people were going through her statblock and backstory with a fine toothed comb to try to prove she was a Mean Girl style bully who deserved to be attacked in her home by a monster.

LOOK AT THIS SKILL SPECIALTY, REALLY SUSPICIOUSLY EVIL ISN'T IT. MAYBE SHE IS A CHEERLEADER AND THUS AXIOMATICALLY A JERK.

Etc. It was super-gross.

In the later draft they changed her to be a nascent beast who just needs a good PC to rip out her soul and have it replaced by a monster's.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, I don't know that The Guyver and "Showa Era Kamen rider where every other Rider was a dude turned into a monster and/or cyborg by secret corporate experiments" is really Deviantart's thing so much.

I remember hearing that they were going to address stuff like "So what happens when Chiron Group goes past 'making a new tier 3 hunter"' possibly?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think my favorite Malkavian I ever had to interact with was a dude who played up the whole blind seer/mystic prophet angle but was otherwise fairly lucid and reasonable.

Eventually when the game was over someone asked him what his derangement actually was, and got the answer "Oh, he wasn't actually blind. He just thought he was" with the implication that all the vague and portentous prophecies he handed out -weren't- part of his crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Apparently Geist 2nd was announced at Gencon, hopefully to be less of a mess. (Even if it's a mess I have a dumb soft spot for.)