Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Archonex posted:

You're still not getting what I mean, but whatever. You do you, man.

Archonex posted:

It's interesting that you say i'm trying to salvage it when i'm pointing out that it's general mechanics and the level of power of Beast's are presented as having don't loving fit in with the CofD at all and are more similar to something you'd have expected to see in Exalted if it had been managed better. Read my posts instead of making assumptions about what it is I really mean, dude.

Archonex posted:

I still stand by the statement I made back when people were posting about Sneksy that the game would actually be pretty great as an Exalted sub-splat if it dropped the whole "Well, actually, abuse is pretty great really!" poo poo entirely. Or at least limited it to a "Okay, well, here's a case of this entity unabashedly using their powers in a way that marks them out as an unrepentant monster." thing that some of the other splats do to contrast an attempt at the humanist focus in the rest of the supernatural lines.

If this isn't what you mean than you're right, I'm not getting it. And it's because you're doing a poo poo job explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Archonex posted:

There's a sharp division in not just the tone of what's being described and the rest of the setting but also what was even considered an immediate priority to describe in the books past the initial Beast core book compared to other things that could have been fleshed out or fixed. It's like --- who is this content supposed to appeal too? And I don't just mean in the sense that Beast's are basically a self-justifying insert for people that exploit and abuse others. I mean, where in general play would this sort of thing fit into play for the rest of the setting? Because sometimes it's coming off as running at way higher of a power level than i'd expect pretty much any serious game in the setting to be at. And when it's not it's just lovely abuse apologia.

There are some powers that let beasts travel between realms. I mean they have a power that lets them not only use any supernatural door to travel to the primordial dream, it also lets them just.. use any supernatural door.

As to why they would want to go to the Mother's Land, perhaps to find some dark secret that would help them take down an incarnate beast? Because that's the problem with Incarnate Beasts (like Sneksy) they're essentially plot devices, you need to figure out how they got so powerful, so you can unmake them and bring them down to "Normal". At least I believe that is the intent.

The problem is that this is all mostly conjecture because Beast doesn't really have its own plot, outside of that which we can infer. The default assumption seems to be that you'd latch onto another supernatural and use their plot with occasional hero slaying interludes. So if you remove the heroes(and the abuse apologia which they embody) you don't have anything. That's why I say Beast isn't worth fixing, to provide a reason for them to exist you're essentially creating a whole new game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The most hilarious part of the CAS thing for me was how he tried to defend his actions by saying that he was the sole breadwinner for the absurd number of women in his family and thus by cutting him out of the industry you were actually hurting more women than by simply letting him be a sex pest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

God i've loving had it with this game. (V5 LA By Night campaign) My anarch Brujah Alleycat feeder left a mortal bleeding out in a nightclub bathroom yet somehow there's always cameras around with CSI enhance enhance enhance technologies in dark club hallways. Essentially the ST has a retaliation grudge against my character. Every mortal I come up against somehow has like fire ammunition for some reason while every other vampire in the coterie gets to lazily feed off their herd being grape fed laying on a dais. Sorry, ranting. My vampire is brought before a tribunal of Barons for masquerade breaching and essentially the ST peeked at my lore sheet, saw I had 1I nt and 1 resolve before making the skillcheck to not loving hit final death a hard 5 difficulty that went to 6 because the ST/barons didnt like my argument to stay alive (I solo'd the first campaign boss and am essentially the best damage dealer in the group) when I told them that they needed me in the upcoming war with the camarilla. The ST then told me my argument was poo poo and used dominate with a whatever fuckuoff huge dice pool to make my character sit down (against my will btw) and had another player character member of the coterie cut my brujahs head off. Im fighting tears at this point as they rob my character of his items and the ST sends me a new character sheet saying "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" over PMs. THEN the only other character in the coterie who stood up for me is killed by a werewolf in the next scene. How convenient

It's just really frustrating spending 6 months on a character getting him to where he needs to be and having it taken over nothing

I'm sorry your storyteller is an rear end, and I'm sorry you've been dogpiled by Oberst and Metapod.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ok so if everything was different from the story we heard then yes, it's someone elses fault

plus a character loving up isnt the same as a player loving up

Don't you see, you have to be an enlightened god-king to run V5, and there's a correct way to run V5, no one would ever run V5 in the incorrect way. Thus any issues are the fault of the players and never the game or the storyteller. V5 is perfect, and Oberst is it's prophet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

Lol I dont fully believe the tale of someone who has to clarify that dominate was used against his will and boasts that he was the sole reason a boss was defeated therefore I'm a psychopath who wants to torture other players.

This post makes no sense. In collaborative storytelling you for sure as hell are supposed to ask before you take away control of someone else's character. So the 'clarification' makes sense.

And if the Gangrel is the only combat focused character then an extrapolation that they are the only reason the party survived a fight against another combat focused character is a valid one.

The "issue" for you and Oberst is that you seem to view V5 as a game where you're supposed to play a Vampire in a specific way and if you don't play that way then you're doing it wrong at best, or a psychopath at worst.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

Yall want to dog the st and say he/she is a psychopath but don't care if the post isn't completely factual? I just want a clearer picture before passing judgment but that's too much for this thread apparently

What is Blitz gaining by lying?

More importantly what are you gaining by defending the ST so vehemently unless you agree with the storyteller in this case and don't like the fact that the thread apparently doesn't.

Sour Diesel posted:

I'm about to start running a game with some friends of mine, we're still unsure of which WoD game we wanna play, but that's not the issue. Seeing some reactions from earlier, I've learned that it's apparently really bad to have negative effects on a player's character at any time without their permission. Does anyone have any tips on how to break the ice when opening a discussion and seeing if it's okay with the player if something bad happens to their character, such as them taking damage or having a NPC disagree with them?

If you can't perceive the difference between "I don't like bad things happening to my precious mogwai" and "The ST didn't want me to make a particular kind of character and rather than telling me so, like an adult, he has made my life and my character's life hell for the past 3 months and has told me that the whole ordeal was my fault." then I don't know how to help you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Fact: Gangrel spelled backwards is Lergnag. If you divide this in half and shuffle the letters you get Naggler. Naggler is a place in Austria. The Gangrel hate the tremere, who arebassd in Austria. Coincidence??

Checkmate Caintheists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Wait, I thought this was World of Darkness, not Unknown Armies.

When loomer's involved there isn't much of a difference.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

http://orokos.com/ requires an account but doesn't require a character sheet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I wanted a threat with limited direct "NOW U DIE" powers, while exploring what traumas a house might emulate.

A mortgage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oberst posted:

Well if you think vampiric mind rape is good, then ok I accept but don't condone your viewpoint

It's unequivocally an evil thing to do... to the character. So long as the player you're using it on is okay with it then it's not 'evil' for you the player. You're playing a role and that role requires you to do not nice things. It becomes dickish when you use mind control to take agency away from the other players because you're the big dick vampire and you can.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Libertad! posted:

So I've been checking Mors' Rattus' F&F of Shunned by the Moon when I can, and it's a pretty stellar Werewolf sourcebook. As someone who only has the 2e CoD book of WtF, can any shapeshifting veterans in this topic recommend me some of Werewolf's other best books?
As far as first ed books, War Against the Pure is a good one, and has some non-wolf shapeshifters in it, can be used for inspiration if nothing else.

Blood of the Wolf has a lot of good information in it for getting into the mindset of a werewolf, just ignore the :biotruths: stuff in there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If only there were a way for you to express yourself without being an insufferable rear end in a top hat :thunk:

If anything at this point between all 3 of you I'm even less inclined to play V5.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 6, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Will this finally be the drama that breaks up the Metapod/Oberst boy band?
Also:

Metapod posted:

Wtf is wrong with you

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

Now I'm looking forward to chuds and worthless centerists unironically declaring that hunters are just as bad as the literal monsters they kill.

A weeping, gaping maw opens in the earth as the shambling corpse of beast claws it's way out, screaming "Not all heroes."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Using IC actions to punish OOC Actions are just going to encourage people to act out more, both IC and OOC. And even if people are being disingenuous in their posting, responding to their posts as serious and providing solutions is still the way to go because it's still useful to others who might encounter those situations in the future.

In either case telling a woman "have you considered not being so sexy" is just more sexist gatekeeping that contributes to the problems they're experiencing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It was definitely the darkest OWoD game, and because one of them started with you dead in an underworld where souls were currency/building material that is saying something. I really loved Hunter, but you really had to lean into what it was trying to do. Everything is awful, and you couldn't really do the fun whimsical stories you could get away with in Mage/Vampire/Werewolf.

Honestly, the tone was very consistent if your Hunter books had either all the text redacted, or all the art cut out. Both at once was... Something.

And then the Hunter: The Recoking video games were Gauntlet Legends clones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Y'all are probably gonna give me the stink eye for this, but I'm in the process of writing a fan crossover supplement between Werewolf the Forsaken and Princess the Hopeful titled By the Power of the Moon! I'm curious about what subject manner and topics I should cover for this. I already have some general ideas, such as Princess/Uratha interactions, new Gifts/powers/etc interfacing with each other's respective enemy factions (Magical Girls fighting spirits, werewolves performing the Sacred Hunt against creatures of Darkness, etc), a mini-bestiary, and possibly a Unified Cosmology tying together concepts from the two sourcebooks into a more put-together whole.

The reason I'm doing this is because out of all the official splats, the "transforming spirit cops" aspect of Werewolf in preventing otherworldly horrors from loving up the world of humanity is thematically close to what Princesses do, save replace the Pure with Twilight Queens, spirits and hosts with the creatures of Darkness, etc.

Wait no.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Soonmot posted:

One of my werewolves is literally trying to become a magical enbie, so lay that weeb magic on me so I have something to give them.

Unless you're using Enbie in a different context than I'm aware of... there's a Father Wolf gift in the 2nd ed core that lets you switch biological sexes at will with an essence.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

This one cop immediately jumps up to power player status simply by virtue of knowing everyone who's bribing him and why.

Blood Potency: Yes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So what would Bray Wyatt be in the WWOD?

Metapod posted:

*someone does a small feeding scene*
*moths bane activates*
Ah I must leave this group now

*Someone posts about playing V5 in a way that is not the one correct way*
*Metapod's bane activates*
Ah, I must shitpost now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mulva posted:

Counter-point: Pro-wrestlers are sometimes required to accomplish something.

So Roman Reigns is a Brujah is what you're saying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Deviant launches on KS Thursday. :toot:

but you might want to hold off on supporting it till Kickstarter institutes a union.

Probably.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"Oh god I love you!"
"Then please stop!"
"No, No, not that kind of.... is there a greek word for 'love you like a sandwich?'"
"STOP GNAWING ON MY LEG!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Funding stops 1 cent below that total.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Soonmot posted:

lol wtf, they're wasting page space double printing?

Maybe they're taking a page from WOTC and the upcoming Vampire Plague League* will have a core+1 limitation.

*I tried to type "Play League" but the typo was too funny to remove

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My issue is. V5 exists because one edgy guy wanted to return the game to the way he remembered it, with leather chains and Nazis and transgressions. And he didn't think that opp was doing a good enough job with the 20th anniversary games. The community railed against him at every turn.

The game is still working off of his foundation. It still only exists because of his desire to be the edgiest edgelord that ever edged. I'm not sure if that's something the game can ever shake off. It's in it's DNA. He wrote the lore Bible and they're still, ostensibly, using it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

The reason why other v5 fans don't post in this thread is because of the toxic nature of most (not all) requiem fans in this thread

The requiem fans weren't the ones being toxic, friendo.

Unless you're saying that everyone who doesn't like V5 must be a "requiem fan" in which case. Wow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the split should be "oWoD/Cofd" and "Parawoof/V5"
e: oWoD and CofD co-existed for a long time without any edition warring. The issue is mostly that V5 is somewhat by design hostile to what came before.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 26, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They also described what was going on in chechnya in such ludicrously over the top terms that you would have no idea they were based on something "real" without intimate knowledge of the goings on of the region. Particularly since WW/OPP have endeavored not to include real world people as characters in their book since 2004 at least, if not earlier. Because using real world events as game material cheapens real world suffering.

And I do mean they were ludicrously over the top. Ramzan was described as a "sultan" with a zoo full of ghouled animals amongst other things.

And the Chechnyan/Russian governments were arresting people only tangentially related to the events and threatening their lives/livelihoods unless they named names, trying to find the actual author.

IIRC the excuse from either MR*H or Swedracula was that since a vampire was saying these things you shouldn't believe what they're saying (because vampires are evil and evil people never tell the truth) even though the section in question was presented as a research paper by an academic with no in universe reason to lie. Said research paper also mentioned some kind of vampire ISIS, because the Chechnya stuff wasn't ridiculous enough.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As a wise man once said "I don't speak loving russian" so I only ever had second hand reports, but Chechnyan officials were saying that they were threatening some kind of litigation.
e:
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1064498954413334528

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 26, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

Nah man you have to look into yourself and think long and hard if you're willing to play a game that tried to bring to light a terrible thing happening in Russia

You know how you bring to light a terrible thing happening in the real world? With an out of character sidebar that says "Hey this is actually a terrible thing that's happening in the real world." not speaking of it with the same gravity and realism as "The vampire sultan of Chechnya is trying to create a second ISIS."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone have a compiled breakdown of the Beast controversy? Or should I just link the Fatal and Friends?

quote:

Matt McFarland, AKA Black Hat Matt, was a freelance writer for White Wolf, and later Onyx Path Publishing. He and Rose created Demon the Descent in 2014 and it was incredibly well received. After Demon was released Matt pitched his idea for Beast: the Primordial, the elevator pitch is "You're a person with the soul of an ancient monster, like a dragon, or a gorgon." and given his tenure on Demon people were pretty optimistic. The Kickstarter draft came out and Beasts were actually incredibly petty, very rapey, did not actually transform into dragons or gorgons, and had very strong coding as LGBTQ/Minorities. They also exude what we have dubbed the "Poochy field" that makes all the other supernaturals love them and ignore their more problematic qualities. This wouldn't be too bad except for their enemies were also rather obviously themed as gamergaters, MRAs, and white supremacists. What made this worse is that Matt straight up compared his detractors to MRAs. After some controversy, OPP released a press release promising that they'd fix the wording in the actual finalized book.

The actual finalized book came out, it had incredibly weak justifications for what Beasts do, and only the most superficial changes. The Storyteller chapter then had sidebars straight up saying that of the things that were changed due to backlash are 'lies' and that Beasts are actually super awesome and justified and everyone loves them for being the awesome woke hell rapists that they are. The subsequent releases for Beast varied in quality depending on the author, raging from people rightly making GBS threads on beasts for not being open with who and what they are, or polishing Beast's knob so hard their lips fell off.

Then in late 2017 during the RPG #MeToo movement, it came out that Matt raped someone roughly 10 years ago. He did not contest the claims, willingly stepped down as a moderator on RPG.net, then RPG.net banned him and OPP Quietly cut ties.
In early 2018 we discovered that Matt and his Wife(who was also the lead editor on Beast) used their positions as a member/the chair of the International Games Development Network to silence assault accusations from events as recent as 2015, meaning that Matt was still sexually assaulting people during beast's development.

The last book he wrote for Beast before he was let go (and probably what he was working on at the time he was let go) includes a faction of Beasts who are compelled against their will to Rape and describes the heroic act of choosing not to rape someone every day, stating that these beasts should be applauded for having the mental fortitude not to rape literally everyone(and it's not their fault if they do).

It is important to note that not everyone who wrote for a Beast product is a terrible person, but that Matt is. And as the lead designer and editor, he and his wife were the only two people who could see the product they were making, and made a decision to leave it as it is. Beast is not a good game, and it does not deserve to be fixed or remade.
And include links to the three F&Fs I suppose.