Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Daeren posted:

Now, when Beast comes out or has its Kickstarter and it all turns out to be wall-to-wall edgelord dreck, sure, we can start doomsaying.

If you're at all interested, a leak of Beast was posted on 4chan's /tg/'s World of Darkness General a few days - maybe a week or two - ago. It has multiple full fluff chapters, intact rules, and so forth. I'd recommend tracking it down if you're interested in seeing the quality of the line, barring future major revisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I think the actual issue with Beast its that it's a less-compelling version of Changeling. They're human-looking monsters changed into something else by nightmare creatures, feed their supernatural powers by causing emotions in victims, specialize in specific feelings, and live in dream-logic lairs carved into in otherworldly fairy tale dimension.

They're, at best, trying to fill the niche of particularly potent Autumn Court members and, at worst, are spooky things living in lairs in Hollows, emerging from the hedge to cause trouble and serve as a cautionary tale for why you shouldn't get too similar to the gentry.

Beast reads as something written by someone who wanted to play Changeling, but with a higher power level and a font featuring tacky blood drips and skulls and none of the nuance or depth.

At least, that's my problem with it. I can't see any reason to play it over the exact same character concept but in Changeling, save for being really interested in the raw power that Atavisms provide. I can't wrap my head around what niche they're trying to fill.

jagadaishio fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 14, 2015

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I actually really like Genius. It had me hooked from its opening fiction, which, for me, served as a great thesis statement that the game's horror is the horror of ego and inspiration, and the collateral damage and isolation that follows in its wake. The Lemuria angle was barely tangential to that - the theme of a very personal horror created in your own arrogance, contrasting with the wonder of creation and the urge to see more.

Which absolutely had some overlap with Mage.

What ended up making me like it, and see it worth keeping around despite the overlap was one part the Bardos - fictional never-weres that only reinforced that theme of isolation from the real world - and the aggressive diversity of aesthetic and reinforcement that nobody has any real theories of how/why geniuses and their Inspiration works, conspired to the seemingly-monolithic consensus on Atlantis, the Exarchs, Oracles, high speech, the Abyss, supernal realms, and even concepts as specific as goetic demons always turned me off of Awakening. Supposedly there's a lot less of that in future books, but that trans-cultural agreement of terms, extremely specific concepts, and prehistory really killed a lot of my enthusiasm for what could have been a much more flexible splat.

Genius filled those missing themes and motifs for me. Its writing was way too silly at times, and its rules weren't the best-balanced, but I'm fine with a game I like needing some polish as long as its high concept, themes, and motifs really click for me.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

They suddenly go flying off at a right angle to the surface of the earth and splatter on the nearest building?

You mean tangential. A right angle would mean flying straight up - which is what it would look like, but not the whole story. And yes, they'd move in a tangent to the still-rotating ground beneath them which, to someone standing on the ground, would look like them slowly lifting off the ground and drifting off into the sky at seemingly-exponentially-increasing speeds as you rotate along, out, and then away from under them and they keep moving on their linear vector instead.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

My main hope is that blasting spells are the inferior option, damage and resource opportunity wise, to simply shooting or stabbing someone to death. That there are fringe benefits - like setting someone on fire as a result of the attack, or whatever - but that, when push comes to shove, two to the back of the skull while waiting in a queue does more for efficient, immediate death than magic could. When it comes to damage-dealing magic, the advantage should be environmental effects, killing without a trace, killing at sympathetic ranges, paralysis or other Conditions, or what have you, not that it's actually killier than simply shooting someone.

I like Awakening when it's acknowledging Fallen World 'solutions' rather than invalidating the practicality of mundane effects.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

My main hope is that you are pummeled by an endless barrage of Magic Missiles until you recant.

Higher Arcana make you more context-free than low Arcana. You don't need to find fire if you can turn any energy you have at hand into fire, and you don't even need to find energy if you can create fire from nothing. The advantage of using environmental effects is that they exist in the scene for you to make use of whether or not you're a century-old obsessive who's replaced every pursuit they once had in their lives with the study of the Arcana. Ball of Abysmal Flame should be rarer and more technically demanding than Gas Main Eruption; making it also outright weaker would just be stupid.

Wishing someone to death should be more powerful than shooting them with a gun for the same reason that wishing yourself to Paris should be more powerful than buying a plane ticket - assuming you're that good at making wishes.

That's not how I meant 'environmental,' but it was my fault for being unclear. I was talking about effects, not sources - attacks that leave rooms on fire, that leave the ground collapsing out from under people, and so forth.

And the thing that makes wishing sometime to death 'powerful' isn't that it kills them harder than a gun. It's that it kills them at sympathetic ranges without leaving a trail of evidence back to you. That's what I'm taking about with fringe benefits that make the attack spells situationally useful.

Shooting electricity at someone won't kill them as fast as shooting them, but it will drop them like they'd been tazed. Psychically assaulting someone until they have a brain aneurysm won't do as much damage as a bullet to the brain, but it also won't leave a forensic trail back to your gun. And wishing yourself to Paris had the chance of landing yourself somewhere far from any taxis and with no record of legally entering the country, but without any travel time or annoying layovers beyond the time spent getting the sympathetic link and casting the spell.

Magic should never just completely invalidate the mundane options - they should offer clear advantages and disadvantages to them, or enable you to do things that would instead be otherwise impossible. And in the case of blasting spells, I think that shooting someone should usually do more damage, while magic instead offers all kinds of fringe benefits depending on what you're trying to achieve with your attack.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Also, why is Promethean called the best game you will never play in the OP?

It's well-written but absurdly narrow. It only does one type of story, and it's almost impossible to put together a group for it.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

The way I've seen it justified has usually been "act the Humanity score you want to have". So if you want to get your Humanity above 4, stop murdering people.

"Fake it until you make it."

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Daeren posted:

So, let's put aside the lawyer example to avoid shitposting: is there room in any of your games for any AA character that isn't just a straight up magically empowered vigilante with no room for diversity or interpreting their lens of strength through war/conflict and adaptation in any other way than an extremely literal "apply fist to face" manner at all times? I'm genuinely curious, here. I feel like the two halves of this conversation read entirely different books for the Arrow.

As far as I can tell, people aren't saying that the character would be a bad character to play in an actual game. They're saying he's an exceptionally terrible character to use as a sample character - as a 'this is the Adamantine Arrow' character. They're not advocating that a character like that never appear in anyone's games, they're saying it shouldn't appear in the intro to what the Arrow is supposed to be about.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

A lot of those papers seem to assume contagious spread of vampirism real frequently, though.

The assumption of most of the papers is that humans fed upon inevitably then rise as vampires, or at least die. It's not an accurate model for the WoD, though it does help illustrate why draugr and their wake of revenants are so dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

As I always saw it, the Invictus is the Camarilla, while the Carthians are the Anarchs. Like, really obviously so; the Carthians' name even references Carthage. I don't see why any conversion would be necessary when they're both already there.