Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This is the kind of poo poo that happens when we stop talking about Mage. Do you see? Do you see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So they're.. what, Raising Cane's?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

Who wins in a legal battle between the Beast lawyer and the Adamantine Arrow lawyer who fights his war in the courtroom?

Any time you're asking who wins between the mage and [x], it's always the mage.

I maintain that's a decent against-the-grain concept, and I present as evidence the Daredevil franchise.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Abbott and Costello should have been a Dark Ages crossover chapter with Mummy and the core book/Mortals.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

None of those things are primal fears.

I dunno, it's probably pretty deep seated if you live your whole life worrying that the USA is going to bomb you into the ground for being in the same zip code as a suspicious wedding.

Mors Rattus posted:

Because you know, better than anyone else: there must always be a Lich King.

This was all I could see in that whole post, sorry.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

Listen: Sometimes you want to have a rational conversation with someone, and sometimes they are being an annoying twit and you want to tell them their penis is made of spiders. It's the way of the world.

I mean, isn't this why we're playing WOD games in the first place

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Strontosaurus posted:

Ogre Truefriend is the best 2E Changeling. Sorry, chumps.

Where the Wyld Things Are.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

Well the entire category of "direct attack spell" sounds like fodder for deletion, is the thing. From the sounds of it it covers barely anything and exists chiefly to serve as an obvious enough newbie trap that a plurality of people feel good about spotting it.

Let the record show that Ferrinus is against things that allow people to feel good and, by extension, the concept of joy itself.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If it's the death of fun on one side and you and loose, lumpy wannabestorygamingexceptignoreourcrazyelaboratecombatrules on the other, well. RIP fun

Because I'm picking a hill to die on here, and not just poking fun at Ferrinus.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The Syndicate's 'Primal Utility' Sphere posted:

For a Syndicate character, however, Prime flows through investing and withdrawing energetic currency through Ventures (value generating Nodes – see the chart below) that manipulate the metaphysical economies of human value. By accessing what they call “creation’s credit rating”, the hypereconomist controls that currency, investing it where it does the most good… for him.

Oh my God I love this stupid, wonderful game. :allears:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mexcillent posted:

Phil Brucato has always hated the Traditions though. He loves Orphans and apparently now the Technocracy (? imo, mostly because Neil Degrasse Tyson etc.).

Neil deGrasse Tyson owns, tho.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ErichZahn posted:

The Traditions aren't perfect, but they're not the Progenitors.

Excuse me while I look up the debunked race sciences they kept evangelizing. Then we can talk about the babies their real life counterparts infected with syphilis in order to create a docile slave race. After that, we can talk about how, after the medical community dropped the ball on HIV, they totally fixed everything and made sure to never let it happen again!

:suicide:

I recall the revised Progenitor book released a year(?) or so ago doing a lot to turn that convention into something, y'know, playable.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

I'm glad that we discovered that talking about oWoD mage is the actually annoying kernel of truth in the "why is everyone talking about Mage for twenty pages" whining.

I agree, we should talk about nWoD mage more instead.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mors Rattus posted:

Wasn't there a Hunter group in nWoD that was basically 'inner city gangs take down vampires'?

The Ascending Ones, yeah. Ostensibly there's two other parts to that conspiracy besides drug dealing gangbangers, but nobody ever remembers them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Soonmot posted:

You mean the constantly shifting verdant horror maze of brambles, sentient thorns, stalking monsters, and greedy tricksters right off the highway?

"This isn't exactly the kind of tourist trap I had in mind!"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Crion posted:

The Adamantine Arrow lawyer strikes again!

All his mudras are Phoenix Wright poses, I've decided.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I have a great idea for a game named Beast, about surviving a world that hates and fears you, but sadly an injunction from Marvel prevents me from publishing it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

Was he the guy that correctly identified Gilgamesh as an inferior, now-obsolete precursor to Homestuck?

What a maroon, Homestuck is clearly the successor to Ulysses.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Tezzor posted:

Aside from some minority of vampires, what player splat in the WoD asked to be what they are

You could maybe argue mages, as all human souls cry out for enlightenment and ascension or some garbage and the will of the Exarchs holds them down.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Beast: the game of strengthening your personal brand such that your detractors are trivially blacklisted and anyone sufficiently engaged becomes an advocate.

This sounds like Beast: The Business School Graduate or something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

Who's going to pay for my medical bills when this 4-ton grain of salt crushes my arms and legs?

Doctors are so banal, just rub some basil on it or something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Why don't people ever pull in Abrahamic stuff when doing big 'THE PANTHEONS OF THE WORLD' stuff? I'm sick of Thor, that dude's everywhere.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

Haha, gently caress off. You can't write the Tyrant introduction and then try and pull the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer out of your rear end.

This is infinitely entertaining and you should possibly do the entire book like this.

Also, I feel like I have to play an AA lawyer the next time I play a nMage game. There is a metaphysical weight to this poo poo now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This reads like the poo poo moms in the 80s thought D&D was.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

illrepute posted:

Who on earth kickstarted this?

Certainly people who didn't know better, based on a much better product produced previously. Like, Strix Chronicles was good. Demon was great!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Crion posted:

Nope. Shares a lead dev with Demon, in fact.

Maybe they made a really middle of the road game, then removed all the terrible stuff and called it Demon. Then they took all that terrible stuff they took out and called that Beast.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Crion posted:

The book defines this as using Beasts as antagonists in a game of Hunter.

That seems like a better fit all around.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So, what, that's a leaked internal memo to everyone on the project?

I mean, Jesus. Describing any WoD protagonist as 'the good guys' is an issue, isn't it?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Also this thread is making me think that as well as Hunter, Changeling might very well be for me, too. It's basically normal people taken by hosed up horror faeries and turned into something inhuman who escape and try to stay escaped, while trying to deal with their trauma, yes?

That's the crux of it, yeah.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Speaking purely for myself, but when writing Beast I followed the opinion that Beasts are full of poo poo, and basically have the same appropriating behavior toward other beings that fans (and the weaker freelancers) accuse mages of. But also that it didn't matter.

I mean, that would make much more sense (and would make for a much interesting game-- "you're a scumbag who believes his own hype, own it" can be an interesting diversion sometimes).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The mage page states that mages sometimes listen to Beasts going on about the Dark Mother and take away the idea that Beasts are servants of the Life Exarch. An "honor" literally no other splat gets - vampires and mummies get classed as "related to the lower depths" by the Orders, werewolves and Sin-Eaters are regarded as native guides to their respective otherworlds, but Beasts are the guys who a non-zero number of mages look at and decide must represent everything wrong with the universe.

Now, if you play Beast, those mages are obviously wrong. But it's not exactly Poochie.

Beast is what happens when you Join the Seers.

Don't join the Seers.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SunAndSpring posted:

This book fails on so many loving levels that I feel legitimately concerned for the people that got it funded. Did people even read the loving PDF before they threw in money? Either answer is disappointing.

I'm not sure I could fault people who saw stuff like Demon, Changeling, and the 2.0 versions of Werewolf and Vampire and decided to donate sight unseen (and without wanting the spoil themselves on a raw text version of the book). They were obviously fools in retrospect, but that's a good track record to bet on.

Now, still having money in the pot knowing what we know now? Yeah, that's messed up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

..said nobody playing a game of Beast.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wouldn't the Banishers see another facet of magic to smash in Beasts? Seems like the folks who cozy up to the Abyss would like them more.

Effectronica posted:

So is the Adamantine Arrow Lawyer civil or criminal? Maybe we can get 'em to sue the poo poo out of the Beast that mimics Werewolf attacks for servicemark infringement.

He's one of those Daredevil style of lawyers who takes whatever the plot hook of the week dictates.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Something else I've found. Look at this horrible no-goodnik of a Hero:

Who knew the most :black101: thing in a game about playing Cthulhu was a teenage girl in a coma? Seriously, THIS is a PC I want to play, even if she's supposed to be the bad guy.

EDIT: Proof that she's an evil bitchwhore who deserves all she gets:

RPG.net weighs in:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?757990-Beast-ish-Do-the-antagonists-need-to-be-less-sympathetic-than-the-PCs&p=19074975#post19074975
Someone else sum it up, I'm too busy being pumped about how :black101: Melanie is to get mad.

I feel like this is an elaborate hoax. Like, that reads like one of the sample mage characters from one of the Mage 2.0 previews. It's awesome. :psyduck:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Someone help me, because upon reading this for a second time:

I've noticed it doesn't actually mention what the Collector was going to take :suicide:

Then again, it makes Melanie all the more heroic for doing what she did AND WHY CAN'T WE PLAY AS HEROES AGAIN?!

I guess because that book already exists, and it's Hunter: the Vigil.

Like, Heroes could be a pseudo-conspiracy it almost seems like.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This book is probably going to be the litmus test for recruiting new players for years to come.

"What do you think of Beast" and if the immediate reaction isn't visceral disgust then run.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm perfectly willing to arrest humanity's collective unconscious. Containment is going to be an issue, as is setting up a trial that doesn't break the laws of God and man, but I like to consider those all tomorrow's problems.

Seer or Technocrat: YOU make the call!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kavak posted:

Thank you Winson, for the sadly appropriate thread title.

Winson's not been a mod for awhile, that was probably Ettin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Gerund posted:

What would be the purpose of designing a game with that intent in mind, other than to provide a talking point in a discussion about brand-level game design?

Maybe the low power splat would know they're little fish in a big ocean, and the design would reflect that-- the fearful outsider peering too long into a much wider world they're only just barely entitled to see.

Is there a splat whose gimmick is knowing too much, and being endangered because of it? I mean, aside from mages sticking their nose into poo poo it doesn't belong. Like some sort of witness shtick I guess.