Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

I've played a precocious teen werewolf

Sorry, I couldn't even read the rest of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

After seeing how Beast is shaping up I'd be careful what you wish for.

I want to remain confident that this is an edge case, because every other 2E thing has been or is shaping up to be good. The 2E Mage stuff looks great, even the Changeling stuff that looked a little out there seems to be falling into place.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I mean if you have Forces 5, sunlight is a bit of a novelty. Just levitate something huge and drop it on the dumb bastard when he's sleeping. Half the fun of Forces is being able to go the full Looney Toons on somebody.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Crion posted:

I would also note that "able to kill a sleeping person" is not, perhaps, the highest benchmark of cosmic power

Sounds like something a hero would say!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Axelgear posted:

Given what Beasts do to people, it is the exact opposite of what they'd say.

Beasts are scumbags who would kill people in their sleep to satiate their hungers. A hero would say "that is a lovely thing to do". Unless one of us has drastically misinterpreted the other.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

"We're here to make everything metal. Blacker than the blackest black... times infinity." 'You don't have enough Matter dots for that.'

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Effectronica posted:

Brütal Cåstīng

Tim Schafer is plotzing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Luminous Obscurity posted:

So David Hill made a post about pitch season and gave an example of a pitch that didn't get accepted, Fury: The Scourge.

I kind of like Furies ya'll. :shobon:

VVV Agreed. VVV

This is really interesting. It's kind of like a cosmic vigilante shtick. Wish we were getting this instead of Beast.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I kind of like the second option for Cheiron, because it's always funny when aliens show up and go ".. wow, this place is hosed up!" instead of just going bleep blorp invasion.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I think it's one of those things that is supposed to come part in parcel with who your character is. You come out of the hedge as a changed person, your old name is probably dangerous or inconvenient to use for a number of different reasons, and you gotta tell people something. Maybe you just say you're Bob Smith, but at some point you have to own what's happened or you'll go mad(der).

Maybe you give yourself a fairy name to own what's happened to you, maybe it's based out of spite, or maybe you're just embracing the insanity of it all. There's probably not one comprehensive answer.

Edit: I feel like there's a better term than 'fairy name' that I'm forgetting.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 14, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Roadie posted:

Bluebeard?

DON'T MARRY SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN MARRIED A LOT OF TIMES OR HE'LL MURDER YOU AND HIDE YOUR BODY UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS

Henry the 8th's assorted wives kicking themselves over this one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Loomer posted:

Obviously it was a paradox backlash from the earlier battle between Warped Kung Fu Monks and Shadow Robot Nerds.

I think the latter is a Free Council legacy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ferrinus posted:

Just imagine having your health track slowly fill with unhealable lethal, eventually causing you to waste away and die, because no one thinks you're scary.

"Sorry gramps, hockey mask and knife is too retro to be scary! It's all about weird animatronics and jump scares now."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

When the Beast Seeming was published I actually mentioned the gung-ho attitude exhibited by these Changelings, and David Hill answered me:

I like this, but at the same time I'm in the "kind of worried about mechanics being marred to the theme" camp. I was planning on Changeling being the first 2E game I run for my group (because try as I might they won't get on the Mage train) and I worry this might end up being a little heavy for them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's weird how much people love Aberrant because it's easily the least interesting of the three settings. That kind of superhero setting has been done multiple times, and I don't see how Aberrant does it particularly better than them.

It doesn't help that it had the weakest writing of the three, with broken rufles and god-npcs and stifling metaplot. Meanwhile the Trinity adventures were sll about putting the pcs at the center of the action eith the chance to influence big changes and the books were full of plot hooks and possibilities.

I think context is important. It was the late 90s, and the late 90s in comic books was pretty dire on a lot of levels. It was just the right sort of game at the right time-- the metaplot was obviously a huge problem (as was it always in oWoD) and the rules could be clunky, but it was kind of this walking-talking personification of everything that was right and wrong with comics in the 90s that you could punch your way through.

It was an interesting playground.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Daeren posted:

Brucato sometimes reminds me of Grant Morrison without any of the deranged charisma.

So exactly like Grant Morrison then.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is it supposed to be bad? I thought the point at which you become a [#insert splat here] is supposed to be a moment where you take a sharp left and take control of the situation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I'll take that for a dollar. (Malcolm and I wrote the First Turn.)

I'm going to have to buy you another title just to get that thing properly centered, aren't I?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Unless you worship a nigh-omnipotent supercomputer, in which case, congratulations, you win.

I am pretty sure this is what people think millennials actually do anyway.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kant: The Categorical Imperativing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Arrow preview is up.

Congrats, WoD Megathread: You finally get Phoenix Wright as an Arrow.

I'm just so goddamn happy to have contributed to a book somehow. :allears:

I should post more terrible character ideas to get legendarily mocked, it could be the most next-level route to getting published ever devised.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I love that "I'm sorry, the concept of a law enforcement officer who isn't irrevocably corrupt is too outlandish for this, a game of pretend wizards." is a thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

So then it would be pretty stupid for the adamantine arrow to be the good apple working for the evil tree that's actively enforcing Seer hegemony

Don't you have to be pretty stupid to fight the Seers anyway, instead of just being a cool wizard-king enjoying the fruits of your God-Emperor's bounty?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

What about Tony Star-- actually, I withdraw my objection.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm confused. When did "lawyer Arrow" stop being a concept everybody wanted except the writers and start being something nobody wanted except the writers?

"Lawyer Arrow" was never a popular idea. It's something that came up in a previous magechat and got roundly mocked for not adhering to the "Arrows fight ALL THE TIME" doctrine.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Daeren posted:

Well, there is the hairspray and lighter trick, but that's likely to end with the can of hairspray detonating and ruining their day.

I pulled that trick once in a Hunter game. That game ended in a fiery inferno very shortly after that, though surprisingly enough not entirely as a result of the makeshift flamethrower.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Deviant sounds like the origin story to a godawful number of super heroes. Where's that Fury game, that sounded awesome.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

narm00 posted:

We only know about Fury because it didn't get chosen as the new game.

I guess I should have phrased that as "why isn't this that Fury concept, it was much better than any of this stuff, make a game out of it already."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like announcing a new gameline so close after Beast is a bit worrisome. Otoh, it may be a way to try and draw attention away from Beast and its rather divided opinions.

Trying to draw attention away from Beast would be a good idea that smart people have. A disconcerting idea would be trying to bring further attention to it!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

How does one become a literal ninja besides being an actual 15th century Japanese mercenary?

Combination of Time and Mind magic to replace your mind with that of a 15th century Japanese mercenary?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Swagger Dagger posted:

omg omg omg omg

Finally, the fabled Tome of Page XX.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No, it's not about being a wizard, I read Guide to the Technocracy, it's about fulfilling humanity's potential with awesome science.*
* I super don't care save to provide an example of how easy it is to start this sort of fire.

It has the potential to be many things to many people, often quite different depending on the person, just like magic. Perhaps each argument brings us closer to Atlantis.

Or maybe that's just the drowning sensation I get from reading them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Daeren posted:

You can sure as poo poo catch a video of a dude outrunning a jeep and put that on YouTube, though. Or a dude turning into a bat, or growing extra arms, or bench-pressing a dumpster.

Yeah, but who the gently caress is going to believe it? Real people can't do that poo poo, and any kid with a laptop, pirated video editing software, and too much Red Bull could make a convincing fake (especially in the oWoD, where realistic depictions of technology are about as rare as realistic depictions of magic).

poo poo, there are people who still don't buy the moon landing, but do buy the notion that Planned Parenthood are harvesting infant organs for the black market because of 'video evidence'. Discrediting and distracting from actual videos of vampires and other poo poo is probably not that hard.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 3, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dammit Who? posted:

Hey guys, your favorite brands here, just posting an extremely bae and on fleek video of some supernatural shenanigans that is definitely real and not a viral advertisement

Fleek isn't an actual word. Under-twenties aren't saying fleek.

I refuse to accept this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I misread Paradigm City as Paragon City, which might be just as good but in an entirely different way.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I've been in a bunch of successful WoD PBP games on this very forum. You drat kids don't have the patience or dedication we had back in the distant past of 2006!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Isn't 'I'm going to live a really long time' a Life 2 spell, rolled in with a bunch of other I'm-super-healthy poo poo? It's been a while since I combed through the list.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

unseenlibrarian posted:

I just tend to run with 'Really patriotic vampires, possibly founding fathers with fangs"

I like this, though leaning more less towards the fanged founding fathers thing-- maybe just one of them.

Actually, Ben Franklin: Vampire Patriot would be ideal. Ben Franklin's always a good subject for supernatural chicainery; see also Scud the Disposable Assassin and Dr. McNinja.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

Great if you want to play the WoD version of Archer, bad for everything else.

I mean now that I've read this, I have a difficult time imagining why you would want anything else.

In fact, this should be combined with that notion of Task Force: VALKRYIE being run by Vampire Ben Franklin immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

fspades posted:

The new White Wolf "Lead Storyteller" supposedly wrote this on facebook:

Well, he likes Promethean. That proves, if nothing else, he has a heartbeat and two working eyes.