Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm looking forward to a seeming preview for some concept besides AAA Video Game Protagonist, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The Fairest write-up is easily the most conceptually interesting and tonally-appropriate of any of the seeming write-ups we've seen so far, so I suppose they felt obligated to balance that out by not proofreading or editing it whatsoever. It's occasionally hard to tell what some of these sentences are even supposed to be saying.

Edit: I'm not going to quote any of it here because it'd just be the entire thing, but I'm shocked this was posted in this state.

Crion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 3, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Androc posted:

Definitely a different take from what I was expecting. Kinda reminds me of Werewolf storm lords. Though, the method of escape is a little confusing unless literally every Fairest returns from Arcadia with a full coterie.

e: Or whatever the hell the Designed White Wolf Term for a group of changelings is.

A "motley," unless they're changing it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Rand Brittain posted:

Dreaming is bad because, basically, it's about growing up and the pains and joys of that, and it was written by people who had not grown up yet and did not have valuable perspectives to share on the subject.

Which makes it theoretically pretty good material to return to twenty years later and hopefully wiser.

Mexcillent posted:

I think it shouldn't be a game about growing up also I'm pretty sure some key contributors were old as hell even in the 1990s.

Then it's even more embarrassing that they hadn't grown up yet.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The Technocracy loves I loving LOVE SCIENCE Facebook memes with inaccurate Einstein quotes, but isn't so keen on peer-review.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Once we conceive of a setting in which it's a genuine net positive that humans are about, we can get to the wizards thing

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I suspect Gerund knew exactly what he was talking about given his familiarity with Changeling: the Lost, and was instead making a point about how the Fae-Touched represent a similar problem as the Huntsmen, if presented from a different avenue of attack: they lessen the importance and primacy of the True Fae in the game's lore and execution

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best part is, you can sue antagonists from different lines in whatever game you want.

The Adamantine Arrow lawyer strikes again!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If nothing else, this appears to be a useful, feel-good lesson on what OPP can get funded. Good lord.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I find myself trying to re-evaluate Beast more favorably because gently caress if I want to be on the same side as "Lord Raziere" in anything ever.

This is the bargain Beast is counting on you to make in order not to write it off.

I'm kind of glad this book is as irredeemable as it is, because instead of trying to salvage any of it my table can just ignore it and its fluff completely. Beasts are such boutique dev-insert characters, as a splat, that you lose literally not a single bit of texture from the nWoD by just pretending this book never happened. That's a success, right? I mean it's a huge, massive failure. But it's also a success.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In its defense, it's given me some cool ideas for what a cooler version of Beast would be.

First, that's not really a defense.

Second, I've yet to see any "cooler version of Beast" that didn't creep further thematically into another nWoD line's already established niche. Most of the New Versions of the game presented here involve colonizing Changeling or Wraith's game-space.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I am not sure what is so compelling about Beast in the first place that makes fixing it a worthwhile or even desirable endeavor, is the thing.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. For some reason, it's been bugging me for a bit.

Who's that guy?

That is Jerry Sandusky, former Penn State football defensive coordinator and serial child rapist

MalcolmSheppard posted:

*Cultural Studies hat on*

That's a bit of a basic reading. Samuel Delany and Clive Barker have both represented queerness this way in their fiction to represent its defiance of heteronormative power structures and as something that is seen as immanent inside people, but transgressive through the act. You have to take a bit of a step beyond seeing the fiction as pure world simulation with the thinnest layer of allegory on top. You're allowed some leeway because of the bare fact that we are not opening a window into a self-sustaining other world with real moral actors, so people doing and being one thing can broadly be people doing/being something else, and various forms of mayhem can stand in for more reasonable acts.

The parts of Beast that work are strongly evocative of Barker's Cabal/Nightbreed, which is a pretty blatant queer text. Boone is "coming out" as a monster and going through a process of queer self-definition, including having his condition treated as a psychiatric pathology, trouble with the law, a tortuous period of self-acceptance, encountering people who have failed to do the same and finally, community. A good reading of Beast would be about these things. Maybe the rendering of heroes is off a bit then by not bringing their passion/nature from the same basic place, since we know that so often, hatred comes from a refusal to recognize what is in yourself.

*hat off*

This is one hell of a smoke grenade, and in all fairness, "trivially correct" certainly is a form of correct

Crion fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

So you're just going to ignore the fact that the thing Beast is being accused of subtextual homophobia for is a thing employed by prominent queer genre writers for a specific reason because TOO MANY WERDS. Got it.

poo poo, this isn't even my project, but the level of discussion was so poor.

I mean my actual problem with your critique was your refusal to engage with the full text of Beast except to brush off Heroes and how they subvert the reading you wish that the authors hadn't undermined through their own overzealousness, but hey man type in caps and misspell poo poo, it's your post, do what you feel

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I assume because Beasts are extremely powerful mechanically and the game takes as a given that everyone else in the group has to at least start out liking you. Also Beasts don't have anything to actually do besides adventure and discover plot secrets in between the occasional Hero housecleaning, the specifics of which become even less important in a crossover game. Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

edit: the Beast even comes with his own sick treehouse for the gang to hang out at, if they want. Nice!

Crion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 6, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Not really anything specific about being a Grendel or what a Grendel means in another game, and I can't say I really follow what the appeal of subverting a story of, say, Changeling or Demon would be. Actually, I can't say I really follow what subverting the story of Changeling or Demon would even mean in this context.

Charitably, it seems to mean substituting genre savvy for expression and pattern recognition for insight. Uncharitably, well, Dammit Who's take on how bad the subject matter can become when contrasted with Demon is pretty spot on.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Sowing nightmares is not their only purpose, however. Beasts also consider themselves the keepers of the Primordial Pathways and possess a great natural affinity for the worlds beyond. Even in the strangest spirit realm, the Children blend in as easily as they do among mortal populations and supernatural societies, scarcely provoking comment unless they call attention to themselves. Quite a few Beasts become devoted to traveling between worlds, bringing the fear of the Soul to the spirit realms just as their siblings do to the mundane world.

This is really funny, too, because it means Beasts not only essentially have no problem whatsoever blending into and co-opting mortal power structures, but that they're basically free to just wander around as they please through the Shadow, the Hedge, Arcadia itself, etc., because not only are they extremely potent power-wise, the very nature of all everywhere is conducive to them poking their noses into everyone else's business to talk more about themselves.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Changeling: I wish I could just carry you away. But that would bring flashbacks, wouldn’t it?

If Beast's writers are willing to go this far, they really should just be honest about the kind of characters they're writing and have them openly mock the concept of triggering by name.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Jo doesn’t tower over her prey — she’s short, but she’s all muscle. She enjoys letting other people challenge her, especially men. The challenge isn’t always or even usually physical. Sometimes they try to test her knowledge on topics they think she shouldn’t understand, or try to explain things to her that it’s obvious she knows. She destroys them; she knows what they know and she pokes holes in their beliefs and their facts, showing them sides of the topic they never considered. Secretly, though, she relishes the rare times when a man gets so mad he tries to touch her, because then she can beat him in a way that leaves no room for argument.

Theoretical PC Jo here deserves special mention for the way she duel-wields the master's tools against the master's house

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

quote:

Anya owns an apple orchard. Each tree has a ribbon tied around the top. Some of them are red, some are yellow, some are green, and most people who visit the orchard and buy her apples assume the ribbons correspond to the specific type of apple the tree bears. But that isn’t it. Anya goes out into the orchard at night and checks the ribbons, reminiscing about the day each tree was planted. The ribbons don’t match the apples. They remind Anya what she buried when she planted the tree. Red for something stained with blood, yellow for something stolen, green for something never touched or tasted. Anya only buries things that will nourish her trees, though.

Pretty sure this is a description of a Changeling tending to her Hedge garden that somehow migrated over from the CtL 2E core.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Seems like a pretty cool game for emotional terrorists, though

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Kurieg posted:

Was that the period when he wrote the short story where a kid killed a werewolf with his silver plated wheelchair or something?

You're thinking of Silver Bullet, and it was like a wheelchair-motorcycle combo, and that was written in the late 70s/early 80s, if the concept didn't tip you off.

There was a movie. It had Gary Busey and Corey Haim in it. They had a weird scene or two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2jVL-McrY

(unfortunately this is the only version of the scene I could find in a cursory search of youtube)

Crion fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 7, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Another thing Beasts seem to be missing: any consequences at all for just, being supernatural in front whoever they feel needs to be hosed with at the moment. The Masquerade is for chumps.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

tatankatonk posted:

I FOUND IT
I FOUND THE BEAST WHO FEEDS ON PEOPLE NOT TIPPING

WITNESS ME

I can't believe they actually put that in, to be honest

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
"Sin-you" is at least an unintentionally perfect name for a vicious murderer who blames all of his crimes on the failures of his victims.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Roland Jones posted:

I am pretty sure the Malkavians would look on this with scorn.

But yeah in all seriousness this is baffling. Demon: The Descent was amazing. This is terrible. How on earth is this following that? Is it, like, a completely different team or something?

Nope. Shares a lead dev with Demon, in fact.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Cabbit posted:

Maybe they made a really middle of the road game, then removed all the terrible stuff and called it Demon. Then they took all that terrible stuff they took out and called that Beast.

I think it's far more likely that the dev in question was given free license to write whatever he wanted on this line, and that the dev in question is very angry at a certain kind of person (who deserves that anger), and that the dev in question focused all of that into the text with amazing lack of self-assessment, reflection, or consideration of his own fallibility and the differences between himself and the other people targeted by the certain kind of person he is angry at. That's the charitable reading.

Though it is worth noting that, as with all OPP products, the lead dev is hardly to blame or credit for everything. A bunch of people contributed to this.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

illrepute posted:

What happens if a Beast just gets a TF:V JDAM dropped on his head instead of being offed by heroes?

Then you are, by definition, playing a Hunter or crossover game. This is not the correct way to play Beast.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

illrepute posted:

I'm just wondering, is there a contingency plan for justifying the Beast's behavior if they open the door and instead of a bunch of MRA-caricature heroes, there's instead a full division of TF:V guys with tanks?

The book defines this as using Beasts as antagonists in a game of Hunter.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Will be interesting to see if this Monday update consists of anything other than pointing at the Kickstarter that's well on its way to doubling its funding goal and saying, "Scoreboard." Obviously somebody wants this book, or thinks they do.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Of course not-Trunchbull isn't the only example of sample characters abusing children in the book. Why would it be.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Beast is that particular sort of horrible and horrific product that not only makes me reconsider spending money on things that OPP puts out in the future, but makes me think about cutting back on the amount I use OPP products in the present. It never really bothered me to be known as a tabletop gamer who plays White Wolf/OPP products before now, but now it's something I have to sit down and think about. I might not duck out of any current games, but I'm reconsidering whether I want to start or join any new ones in the future, even using old editions.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

jim truds posted:

Beast sucks but all of the rage of "I wish I never bought a single nwod book and will never buy one again" is really hyperbolic.

What's really hyperbolic is this dumbass statement you've put in the mouths of people in this thread. "I'm re-evaluating the financial support I give this company, and also the time I spend using its products" is a perfectly legitimate stance to take when they put out a product like this.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Loomer posted:

I regularly play in a game where the entire idea is to be cartoonishly evil supervillains. Beast is still way too loving far even by my tremendously warped standards.

That's because a lot of what's going on in Beast isn't really cartoonish at all. Stylized to an extent, yes, but not cartoonish. You're being encouraged to roleplay direct forms and instances of IRL abuse, and to rationalize that abuse away in the same way actual abusers do.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

LatwPIAT posted:

Matthew McFarland's own words on the matter, so you can judge for yourself what he means.

This is embarrassing to read in two or three different ways. Good lord.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Given that he namechecked Justin Achilli and Ethan Skemp, I would assume it was those two.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

spectralent posted:

It's clear you're really invested in this make-believe game about vampires, so I'm just going to let you have it.

Man, this is such a terrible look.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Kavak posted:

How have your games been when you do crossover play, Ferrinus? I'll freely admit to being biased against it from bad chat game drama when I was in high school, but that was mostly the result of dick players and STs.

I've been a player or ST with Ferrinus in most of these games and 1E works so well for this kind of play I'm at the point where I can't personally conceive of a WoD that doesn't involve all of the splat lines variably interacting (except, of course, for Beast). There is, however, a bunch of tweaking that usually gets done whenever a new supernatural splat is introduced, especially as a PC.

The only time we've ever thrown up our hands and punted on something that I can recall was a couple years ago when I was trying to figure out a way to make 1E Fetches playable, balanced, and fun.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It always confuses me when people imply it's a problem with the game itself that certain tables will allow Matter mages whose players took a chem course or two the privilege of bypassing the game rules entirely to narratively one-shot whoever they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I would also note that "able to kill a sleeping person" is not, perhaps, the highest benchmark of cosmic power