Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bear Snout
Dec 17, 2006
Loving bears one at a time.
I just recovered my account and it's been years since I've been here so bear with me.

I live dear DC and the winter this year was rough for various reasons including no central heat in my house. (We used space heaters and it was a harsh winter.) Suffice it to say I'm sick of winter and cold weather so my post should really read: Tell me where I should move in the South or Southwest

I want recommendations for a place to move that is:

#1 warm climate
#2 in a rural wooded area but close to a major city or college town (within 20 minutes)
#3 in a safe area
#4 somewhere with water nearby (ocean, lakes, rivers)

I would really like to be close to a city with charm and culture too.

The options seem endless to me. So tell me where I should move! I am getting married next month and we want to consider somewhere new.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
San Luis Obispo, California. Forget all notions you have of San Francisco or Los Angeles type California life and just look into the place. Fits all your requirements.

You said nothing about jobs or money or anything else though, but yeah, SLO fits your requirements.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Bear Snout posted:

I just recovered my account and it's been years since I've been here so bear with me.

I live dear DC and the winter this year was rough for various reasons including no central heat in my house. (We used space heaters and it was a harsh winter.) Suffice it to say I'm sick of winter and cold weather so my post should really read: Tell me where I should move in the South or Southwest

I want recommendations for a place to move that is:

#1 warm climate
#2 in a rural wooded area but close to a major city or college town (within 20 minutes)
#3 in a safe area
#4 somewhere with water nearby (ocean, lakes, rivers)

I would really like to be close to a city with charm and culture too.

The options seem endless to me. So tell me where I should move! I am getting married next month and we want to consider somewhere new.

Thanks!

Gainesville owns. No state income tax, rent/stuff is cheap as hell, warm, rural parts but one of the biggest college towns in the country with good internet as a result, safe especially the western part of town, lots of lakes and about 90 minutes from Orlando and the Gulf.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
What exactly are you planning to do where you move? I assume your choices are going to, in the end, be limited based on whether you can find work there or not. Anyway, if we ignore that part, maybe you'd like northern New Mexico, like one of the small towns near Los Alamos like White Rock. It's in the north so it's much less desert and more forested than the south part, it's warm but not excessively so (and not humid at all), and has mild winters. It does snow there, but not too much usually. For water, there's the Rio Grande which is great if you like things like whitewater rafting. You have Santa Fe nearby, which is one of the more interesting cities I've been to, although I guess it depends on what your idea of "major" is.

I guess Gainesville would be OK too - I lived there for 9 years of my life while I was in school, but I don't think I'd enjoy living there as a non-student. e: also I think "warm" is a pretty huge understatement. I found the summers to be brutally hot.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 10, 2015

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Yea its hot. I was a student there but I'm a non student now and where I live theres very few students so its a nice change. Most of the students live in that square (13th, archer, 34th, and university) around campus

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Johns Island, SC. Just outside of Charleston, SC, lots of historical and natural landmarks, almost completely wooded, very beautiful.

Bear Snout
Dec 17, 2006
Loving bears one at a time.

Murphy Brownback posted:

What exactly are you planning to do where you move? I assume your choices are going to, in the end, be limited based on whether you can find work there or not. Anyway, if we ignore that part, maybe you'd like northern New Mexico, like one of the small towns near Los Alamos like White Rock. It's in the north so it's much less desert and more forested than the south part, it's warm but not excessively so (and not humid at all), and has mild winters. It does snow there, but not too much usually. For water, there's the Rio Grande which is great if you like things like whitewater rafting. You have Santa Fe nearby, which is one of the more interesting cities I've been to, although I guess it depends on what your idea of "major" is.

I guess Gainesville would be OK too - I lived there for 9 years of my life while I was in school, but I don't think I'd enjoy living there as a non-student. e: also I think "warm" is a pretty huge understatement. I found the summers to be brutally hot.

I work for a travel agency and am applying for a different position in my company that would allow me to work from home, in any state I want. As for the future spouse, he would have to find work in that area. He does CNC routing for a cabinet company, and actually just got this job so we may not be making this move for a while. I am just gathering ideas at this point. A place that is affordable should definitely be on my list.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Texas. Move to Texas. People that are suggesting places other than Texas either:

A: Have not lived in Texas
or
B: Were not worthy of Texas.

We've got gulf coast, mountains, plains, deserts, woodlands, lakes, rivers, loving anything you want. Texas is awesome. Move to the Piney Woods, you can find a place near Tyler that's wooded, drops below freezing maybe two or three weeks of the year, is near major universities, and most importantly is in Texas.

:v: :clint: :v:

Tree squid
Apr 6, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA

Great beach town, good vibed people, close to LAX, and thirty minute drive to heart of LA if your looking for that City life, although Redondo has a lot of stuff going on too. Next store neighbor Temecula is sort of the CNC mecca of the coast so he could probably find a job there easily.

trinity3infinity
Jul 25, 2007
Check out Prescott, AZ. It almost meets all of your criteria, except for maybe proximity to water. It's not far from either Phoenix, AZ or Flagstaff, AZ with Flagstaff being a college town. It's high enough elevation to have pines and has really mild winters (it can snow, but that's still fairly rare). The closest lake would be Lake Pleasant, so check out the distance from Prescott because I'm not sure what your requirement is for how close to water you want to be.

eta: So Prescott is a bit further away from Flagstaff than I remembered. Sedona, AZ might be a better fit for you, but again, proximity to water would be something to check in to. Arizona has lots of little man-made lakes from dams.

trinity3infinity fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 11, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

San Luis Obispo, California. Forget all notions you have of San Francisco or Los Angeles type California life and just look into the place. Fits all your requirements.

You said nothing about jobs or money or anything else though, but yeah, SLO fits your requirements.

Yah, SLO is the nicest place in the country if you don't like to do things.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Santa Cruz, CA. You can live up in the mountains for pretty cheap and still be 20 minutes away from the ocean.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

trinity3infinity posted:

Check out Prescott, AZ. It almost meets all of your criteria, except for maybe proximity to water. It's not far from either Phoenix, AZ or Flagstaff, AZ with Flagstaff being a college town. It's high enough elevation to have pines and has really mild winters (it can snow, but that's still fairly rare). The closest lake would be Lake Pleasant, so check out the distance from Prescott because I'm not sure what your requirement is for how close to water you want to be.

eta: So Prescott is a bit further away from Flagstaff than I remembered. Sedona, AZ might be a better fit for you, but again, proximity to water would be something to check in to. Arizona has lots of little man-made lakes from dams.

Sedona is for rich people and tourists, and is far from the cities too. You're not going to find CNC routing jobs out there at any rate, more like hand made cabinets that have magic crystals in them. Pretty much everything in AZ is at least an hour from anything else. Besides that calling phoenix or flagstaff cities is a huge stretch, and the people there are midwestern and southern conservatism distilled into one state. Texas is considerably more liberal if that matters to the OP at all.

It's a nice place to visit (Sedona in particular is beautiful) but there's a lot better places to live.

e: ah the op wanted college towns as well- Flagstaff is nice but isn't really what the op is looking for and there's not much nearby either.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 12, 2015

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

You're just the afterbirth, Eli. You slithered out on your mother's filth. They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.
San Marcos, Texas. Home of Texas State University! The river actually runs through the middle of campus. 60/40 women to guys, cheap booze, acceptable internet, only less than 25 minutes from Austin. Surrounded by rural hill country with tons to do.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

compshateme85 posted:

Santa Cruz, CA. You can live up in the mountains for pretty cheap and still be 20 minutes away from the ocean.

You beat me to it. Though "pretty cheap" generally means a very different thing in California than most anywhere else.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Texas. Move to Texas. People that are suggesting places other than Texas either:

A: Have not lived in Texas
or
B: Were not worthy of Texas.

C. Smart/sane enough to realize Texas is a shithole.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

poolside toaster posted:

C. Smart/sane enough to realize Texas is a shithole.

Says the guy living in Arizona.

All Creation
Sep 2, 2004

I cut you, I cut you up so bad. You gonna, you gonna wish I no cut you up so bad.
Did you really say that you're trying to get away from the DC area because it has harsh winter conditions? DC is FAR from harsh. Not really trying to poo poo up your thread, but are you sure you simply wont find fault in any area you choose to move to as well?

That's being said, I'd suggest Texas. It has very low unemployment rates and warm weather. If you want near the coast, your options are: Beaumont(Port Arthur), Galveston, and Corpus Christi.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Alex DeLarge posted:

Says the guy living in Arizona.

Chamber pot calling the kettle lovely. :v::hf::smuggo:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
More like the chamber pot saying the outhouse is full of poo poo :v:

e: gently caress texas

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

All Creation posted:

Did you really say that you're trying to get away from the DC area because it has harsh winter conditions? DC is FAR from harsh. Not really trying to poo poo up your thread, but are you sure you simply wont find fault in any area you choose to move to as well?

In all fairness, DC had its coldest winter in recorded history this last year, while having a really sad infrastructure for dealing with it. It's not fun having pipes burst and roads close all the time -- having lived through a good number of WI and NH winters, I'd take either over DC.

Also, seconding Santa Cruz, adding in "somewhere cheaper outside of San Jose".

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

You're just the afterbirth, Eli. You slithered out on your mother's filth. They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.

All Creation posted:

That's being said, I'd suggest Texas. It has very low unemployment rates and warm weather. If you want near the coast, your options are: Beaumont(Port Arthur), Galveston, and Corpus Christi.

Way to suggest some of the worst cities in Texas.

Beaumont?

Corpus Christi (Total shithole)

Galveston? I hope you like swimming in no tides, murky water and feeling sick after a day on the beach.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

MacMillan posted:

Way to suggest some of the worst cities in Texas.

In fairness, most cities in Texas are the worst cities in Texas. There is some special Texas magic that makes this possible.

Wimberley, TX and the surrounding areas are pretty nice though IMO; wooded and maybe 40 mins from Austin (which isn't bad). No ocean, but plenty of rivers and creeks (haven't been there in a while though so I don't know if it's gotten drier lately). But it's pretty rural overall. Dunno about jobs. And I may be biased towards it because the all the cows and oak trees make it feel like central California.

foutre posted:

Also, seconding Santa Cruz, adding in "somewhere cheaper outside of San Jose".

You mean thirding. :colbert:

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

Choadmaster posted:

In fairness, most cities in Texas are the worst cities in Texas. There is some special Texas magic that makes this possible.

Wimberley, TX and the surrounding areas are pretty nice though IMO; wooded and maybe 40 mins from Austin (which isn't bad). No ocean, but plenty of rivers and creeks (haven't been there in a while though so I don't know if it's gotten drier lately). But it's pretty rural overall. Dunno about jobs. And I may be biased towards it because the all the cows and oak trees make it feel like central California.

You mean thirding. :colbert:

Wimberley is nice. You might as well live anywhere in the Hill Country, anywhere else in Texas is kind of unbearable... (looking at you Amarillo, El Paso, Houston...)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Austin, TX is nice. It's not super yee-haw Texas, lots of jobs, and not horribly expensive. San Antonio is also a nice city, we're thinking about moving there ourselves.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Flagstaff, AZ was already mentioned, but this was my first thought. My only experience there has been as a tourist, but I really liked Flagstaff, a lot more than I had expected. It was absolutely beautiful, the historic part of town was really cute, the people were all nice, and I wish we could have stayed there longer. It's definitely warmer than DC, there seemed to be a pretty good selection of woodsy properties outside of town, can't speak for crime statistics but we felt safe there, and while there's not a ton of water around, the scenery is amazing. Flagstaff also has a college. It's definitely not a major city but it has an old part and a new part and it's large enough to have everything you need. When we were visiting Arizona, we stayed in Sedona, and every day drove to our destinations (Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Colorado River, etc) and the distance really didn't seem that bad. It was by far the most charming place we visited in AZ, and I liked it more than anywhere we went in California.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Dont move to California unless you want water rationing in your future.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

KoB posted:

Dont move to California unless you want water rationing in your future.

Or making 60k and living like a person making 30k pretty much anywhere else.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Or making 60k and living like a person making 30k pretty much anywhere else.

not living in a shithole has its own value

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Haha ok dude

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

im poor and live next to the beach :feelsgood:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Chinatown posted:

im poor and live next to the beach :feelsgood:

Texas either has half as much, or almost exactly as much, coastline as California.(I have no idea what the gently caress the difference between General Coastline and Tidal Shoreline is :argh:)

Move to Texas!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Move to Florida, where the farthest you can be away from nice beaches is like an 45 minutes to an hour.

MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Texas either has half as much, or almost exactly as much, coastline as California.(I have no idea what the gently caress the difference between General Coastline and Tidal Shoreline is :argh:)

Move to Texas!

Lived in the gulf coast for many years. Don't even compare California's coastline to ours. If you like swampy, oil rig laden murky water then please enjoy Texas' waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ah Texas, so much pride for winning a war to own black people, only to lose the next war on the same question.

Don't move to Texas, it is a shithole. Nice College Town (tm) in the South with forests and water, you can find good options are Clemson (hope you like football!), the research triangle in North Carolina (never never speed in this state), and Charleston (beautiful city, since it got burnt to the ground once before).

All the above are null and void if you or your husband don't pass as white. If one of you aren't white, it's California for you.

• Locked thread