Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My cat is having trouble peeing, which I noticed about a week ago, so I took him to the vet, where he got an antibiotic shot. The vet also said he didn't seem to have much backed up, so I was relieved, and ready to bring him in in two weeks (a week from now) for his second shot.

But tonight he seems to be having trouble again, and I haven't noticed it since before, and my regular vet is closed, and should I bring him to the Pet ER? Should I try to take him for his second shot after work tomorrow?

There's not blood and he's not mewing (and he does let me know when he's in trouble or needs something.) I'm just worried and was wondering if anyone knew what I should do.

EDIT: He seems to have passed enough to get comfortable now. I'm still worried though.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Call regular vet as soon as they open. They should be able to tell you the next steps. Since he passed enough to be comfortable he should be ok until they open. Sounds like there's some inflammation if there was no signs of crystals last time, which some cats get more easily than others. Could also be that he needs different antibiotics. Not being able to pee is an emergency for sure, but since he peed some and you have started the process with the regular vet you can wait to talk to that vet to see what they want to do next. It's just like the human doctor, sometimes it's one and done - other times it's an iterative process. Your job is to stay on top of it, and tell the vet all your observations and concerns.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Talked to them this morning, got exactly this response, thank you.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
No problem! Hope this helps anyone in a similiar situation.

Can't pee/poo at all = call e-vet, prepare to take in within the hour.
Having trouble with bathroom functions but not completely stuck = call regular vet first thing next day, or take to e-vet during the day if regular vet not open like on weekends and holidays.

• Locked thread