Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Hello there posting friends, and welcome to your all-purpose thread for the discussion about football stadiums/grounds and general matchday attendance stuff. Post in here about your club's ground. Other grounds you've been to. Away day trip reports. And anything else to do with attending games of football!

I vaguely remember having a thread like this in TRP ages ago but I think it died. Hopefully this one won't die although I'm sure not helping things with this lovely OP!

For starters, since I now live very far away from my football club the football ground I see the most these days is Hampden Park, Scotland's national football stadium.

Oval stadiums look dead nice from above which is great when you're on a plane out of (or into, god forbid) Glasgow, but less fun when you actually get inside and realise you're sitting a billion miles from the pitch.

Overall it's a nice stadium, better than Ibrox but not as nice as Celtic Park. Unfortunately the legendary "Hampden Roar" has gone away a bit in recent years, and you need to sit in the right places if you actually like to sing and chant during football games. North side of the west stand, from about row V backwards is where you'll find most of the singing, although there's also some great action to be had from sitting right next to the away fans. If you prefer to spend an entire football match sitting down in silence, try anywhere else in the stadium. The north irish fans were chanting "can you hear the scottish sing" last month. It was pretty embarassing.

Other than the 3 Glasgow stadiums, I'm also familiar with Meadow Lane, the Notts County ground, although there isn't much notable to say about it really other than it's too big for us. But it's your basic average league 1 tinpot club stadium really.

I also once went to Craven Cottage which we somehow managed to loving fill up for a scoreless draw against Nigeria, a game you might remember for the Nigerian team responding to match-fixing allegations by having their goalkeeper chuck the ball into his own net.

Where do you guys like to sit for a football game? My favourite seats are usually midway between the corner flag and center of the goal, about row N-ish. Here's the view from my seat for Scotland vs Georgia, really the best place to watch a game from:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Espanyol's stadium and experience is much better than the Camp Nou where annoying entitled cunts whistle for 90 minutes.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

One of New Zealand's most successful club teams (and my former team) play at this ground
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwitea_Street
I used to live on the same road and could walk through someone's section and watch the game for free- which I did when I was young and cheap (although the old Croatian guys that frequent the games would give you dirty looks). It's absolutely tiny and it's embarrassing as hell one of our best teams ever plays here. In saying that the pitch is absolutely stunning- easily the best surface I've played on.

Auckland City, who did so well at the Club World Champs (beating the African champs and the top Mexican team on the way), also play at this ground.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Can I talk about RFK Stadium?

It's not old by European standards, but it feels like it. Half the outer bowl is rusting. Concrete occasionally falls out of the sky. We have feral cats and a famous raccoon that kept appearing in the GM's office. If it had gotten any proper maintenance in the last, like, 20 years or so it would still be a perfect building for a game. Even now though, there's no beating it.

https://youtu.be/1JB6mnFYMZI

We don't sit. We bounce. Half the seats are broken anyway. The atmosphere is electric. If you ever get a chance to come stateside in the next two years, come to DC and you can slum it with us.

• Locked thread