Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've been wandering around for the last 2 weeks and curious about your experiences with overall homelessness in or by a large metro area. Thanks.

History: Stuff happened. I have <$100 and entire family disowned me. Currently, in NYC,NY USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Alder posted:

I've been wandering around for the last 2 weeks and curious about your experiences with overall homelessness in or by a large metro area. Thanks.

History: Stuff happened. I have <$100 and entire family disowned me. Currently, in NYC,NY USA.

PM sent!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Soooooo...

why did your entire family disown you?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jeza posted:

Soooooo...

why did your entire family disown you?

Tradition.

But I figured it's a interesting question anyways and already lurked other places but ran out of new info.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not helpful, nevermind.

Jihad Me At Hello fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 11, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Tradition...?

The gently caress kind of answer is that. How about you fill us in here about your circumstances? I know quite a bit about homelessness and I have a feeling you're about in the same boat I was a few years ago.

You should've probably made this thread in e/n. But anyways

How old are you?
Are you disabled or really fat/out of shape?
Any drug habits or addictions?
Felony convictions?
Mental illness?
Ever had a job? If so how long and where?
Male or female?
Why were you disowned? Fail out of college? lazy entitled suburban white kid who just thought he was gunna live with mom and dad and watch anime all day? No shame here, all reasons are valid on the street

What is your goal here? Bootstrap up and get your own place/job? Or are you trying to embrace this lifestyle and be a successful and happy streetkid/homebum? (this is a thing)

Are you dead set on NYC? Want to travel?

You don't have to get tooooo personal but some more info would be helpful if you want some good advice. You get out what you put in.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

What is your goal here? Bootstrap up and get your own place/job? Or are you trying to embrace this lifestyle and be a successful and happy streetkid/homebum? (this is a thing)

Are you dead set on NYC? Want to travel?

You don't have to get tooooo personal but some more info would be helpful if you want some good advice. You get out what you put in.

I considered e/n but I'd rather not.

No criminal record, drugs, alcohol, or pets. I have a very average appearance. I've worked p/t in retail and other service jobs in the last 5+ yrs. I'm 23 and attended some college. Currently, interested in IT so I've been lurking in the megathreads.

I don't mind traveling but I've lived in the NY area my entire life and don't have any relatives elsewhere. I figured I'd have the greatest chance to survive in a familiar location.

Goal: Rent my own apt and be financially independent. Pay off student loans.

Previously worked at family business but quit as I got tired of 70+ hr work weeks and no pay. Then I stood up for myself and now here I am. I had plans to take the A+ certs for a helpdesk job until a few weeks ago.

I'm enrolled for Fall '15 semester for Computer Info Systems and dorms but it's a while off until college starts too. I'm proficient in Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and English. I have a cat but it's still living at home since my life is somewhat unstable atm.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Hmm, this thread is going to be real helpful with absolutely no information at all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, this thread is going to be real helpful with absolutely no information at all.

Indeed. It's going to be a lost cause.

moral of the story: homeless=hopeless.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Op I think you should look inside for the real reason why your homeless, then apologize to your parents and ask if you could move back in. Best of luck.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Sorry if I came off a little hostile, this is a sensitive subject for me. I'm just here to steer you in yhe right direction.

I was homeless in two separate occasions for < 3 months both times.

First of all, squattheplanet forums are an absolute wealth of knowledge about homelessness, scavenging for food, train hopping, squatting, stealth camping, and generally thriving on the street. Everything I have to say is just watered down info from that forum. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't.

The best decision I ever made was when I stopped sleeping on the ground and moved to rooftops. Grocery stores, taco bells, I even slept on top of a bar once. Find a building with roof access, the bigger the better. Once I established a nice little base camp in top of a grocery store I was a lot more happy. Not having to stress about where I was gunna lay down in the bushes was a huge weight off my shoulders. I did have a home,even if it was just a little mini camp with a warm place to rest and hideout. Sole of the places I've slept were downright terrifying. Don't learn the hard way. Not sure how viable roof camping is in NYC, but in my cities It was perfect.

Ahhh I have more advice I could write a whole book on thid I'm so drunk I'll wrote more later. I'm saying man, keep it positive I love yoy

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

There's threads on Ask/Tell about being homeless. Maybe try search for them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Op I think you should look inside for the real reason why your homeless, then apologize to your parents and ask if you could move back in. Best of luck.

I did and my only surviving parent said because she could :v:

Also, I'm tired but I'll start looking for homeless threads then here. The complete situation is 50% more depressing but then again internet.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
My worst case scenario plan has always been to cruise around nightlife/dining areas and pick up a dishwashing job somewhere respectable. Minimum wage and long hours but restaurants always need porters, they'll likely feed you, the hard work will stop you getting depressed and coworkers can put you in touch with other resources. I don't know what banking options are like for the homeless there, but if you can save your cash and stay in a shelter, you'll have enough to move into a place in fairly quick order.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Have you considered/tried doing tricks?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Der Luftwaffle posted:

My worst case scenario plan has always been to cruise around nightlife/dining areas and pick up a dishwashing job somewhere respectable. Minimum wage and long hours but restaurants always need porters, they'll likely feed you, the hard work will stop you getting depressed and coworkers can put you in touch with other resources. I don't know what banking options are like for the homeless there, but if you can save your cash and stay in a shelter, you'll have enough to move into a place in fairly quick order.

Like this poster said you have tons of options, you honestly have to try to be homeless if you are aren't crazy and have a brain.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Have you considered/tried doing tricks?

They're not tricks, Movie Majick, they're illusions.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
you can probably jack off at the library

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Join the airforce.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If I am being honest, I disliked you immediately when you started posting in SH/SC. I don't know what you did or said that caused it, but there was something about you that just immediately made me negative.

I do not celebrate your homelessness (quite the opposite in fact). But I am not surprised by this newest string of posts. Figure out what it is about you that is so lovely, and apologize to you mom. If you can't do that, and you think you are good at math, join the navy as a nuclear engineer. Looking back, I occasionally wish I would have done so as a young man. The only thing that is certain about the future of humanity is that we will always be hungry for energy, and it would be a good career. On top of that, a drill instructor beating your rear end may fix your personality.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

adorai posted:

If I am being honest, I disliked you immediately when you started posting in SH/SC.

Ok but who are you again? Sorry, I get online people confused all the time :sigh:

I have not considered the army but I'll add it to my list. I'll ask around for restaurant jobs too.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Alder posted:

I have not considered the army but I'll add it to my list.

These guys will give you some pointers.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508575&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, now iirc didn't the military offer training for non-combat jobs? I know legally I won't anyways but jic. Did the infomercials lie to me?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Newest post by OP:

Alder posted:

I saw some promo pics but then I went to see the original in person. It's somewhat thinner than I expected the full size and passport one too. I don't know leather but it looked accurate to the online photos too.

You might want to buy the LE one as I know Japan loves LE stuff and a pain to find once it's over. Although I've seen people customize their notebooks but the shape is awkward enough.

For expensive FPs I'd keep them in a case and at home. It's totally possible to damage them but most people will be fine. Basic maintenance is flushing the pen and avoiding India ink.

The plot thickens.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Newest post by OP:

The plot thickens.

Aren't the soon-to-be-homeless allowed to buy themselves fine quality notebooks and fountain pens? CYP dude.

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012

Alder posted:

Thanks, now iirc didn't the military offer training for non-combat jobs? I know legally I won't anyways but jic. Did the infomercials lie to me?

I went into the Navy with a guy who had been homeless for a few months. As long as you can pass a drug test, run a mile in a reasonable amount of time, and can listen to instructions, you will excel in boot camp. Won't have to worry about food, clothing, shelter, and you get paid decently.

Plus they offer IT jobs, accounting jobs, etc.

e:
many of the recruiters will even buy you meals while you are waiting to go to bootcamp.

Bad Mr Frosty fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Recruiters tend to be a little desperate. In addition to buying you meals, you can have sex with them. Find a recruiter you think it hot and work from there. This isn't personal experience, so who knows how true it is, but go for it.

Being homeless sucks. Reading over squattheplanet, I wish I had had that resource. All I can say is shy away from substance abuse. Your money and energy is much better spent on food and not being homeless. Also, shelters can be really skivvy. If you are turned off by them, look into daytime drop in centers. They offer many of the same resources in terms of food and housing/job assistance but there is a lot less robbing/drama/rapey-poo poo going on. I can't speak to NYC, but I imagine it is the kind of place that would drive that stuff up to 11.

I used to go subway spelunking in NYC and it seems like that would be a pretty viable housing solution. But it is loving filthy down there, so if you have multiple outfits, only wear one while going down there and keep the others protected. Alternatively, sleep on the trains instead. But please shower and clean your clothes. You don't want to be that guy alone in a subway car because your smell drove everybody out. There are also a lot of parks that make for great sleeping in the Bronx.

• Locked thread