Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

VitalSigns posted:

What? Who do you think was doing Jim Crow? What do you think the federal Civil Rights Act, or the Voting Rights Act were intended to do? Why do you think Supreme Court decisions like Loving v Virginia were necessary? Who do you think sent these soldiers, and do you think it was state or federal officials shutting down schools and blocking down doors to keep out the blacks?

But okay, history isn't your thing. Did you know gay people were still criminals in ten states (guess which ones) until the feds made them knock it off? Have you perhaps noticed that the bigot states and the Jim Crow states are still fighting to keep their bigot laws on the books and trying to overturn local anti-discrimination ordinances? Hm, funny how the party of local government actually wants to override local governments that give rights to anyone Republicans don't like, isn't it?

who the gently caress cares, the whole point is to remove the influence the shittier parts of the US have. I don't care if Alabama goes to hell, if you aren't actively planning to escape a region like that you're just a moron

the bigot states are bigot states because they are filled with bigots, no amount of federal government is going to stop that. let them burn

i would trade universal healthcare in vermont for gay marriage in mississippi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So all the underpowered minorities in the bigot states should basically be left behind?

the federal government doesn't prevent mississippi from becoming less bigoted, it prevents vermont from instituting universal healthcare

ultimately we live in a democracy and while it sucks that parts of our democracy are festering shitholes, we'd be better off jettisoning them as opposed to allowing the idiot electorate there to keep driving the country into the ground

VitalSigns posted:

That's cool, I'm going to support civil rights for me and my friends in Texas anyway though, good luck with your neo-confederate drivel.

I will too, but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk when Texas votes to get shittier and gets shittier.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
like I know gay people being able to be married everywhere is the end all be all of political goals but maybe, just maybe, some of the more progressive states would be better off without Texas' electorate influencing their policy

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also because Vermonters themselves freaked out over it when push came to shove.

bottom line is the federal government prevents progress in as many ways as it helps it, it just makes things slower

Series DD Funding posted:

Mississippi was forced into accepting interracial marriage and will be forced into accepting same-sex marriage soon. Vermont's UHC plan died because it was a single tiny state, not federal opposition.

yes and we're all forced to pay a large amount of our money towards foreign wars that many states would not participate in had they been given the chance to decide for themselves

Vermont's UHC plan died for a lot of reasons but opposition from the federal government was surely a factor

again, we live in a democracy, if Texas votes to gently caress themselves over that's on them. I don't see why the more progressive states should have to adjust their policy because of the brainwashed conservative electorate thousands of miles away "because gay marriage" isn't really good enough for me, where a large chunk of the money I put into the federal government actively works against my wishes while the very lgbt rights we're supposedly fighting for are widely accepted here

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 22, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Tell that to poor Southerners who can get health insurance now I guess? Or the ones who can't get fired from their jobs for being black and take literacy tests. Or just tell them FYGM instead, your call.

I will happily tell that to poor southerners who can't get health insurance that they best wake up and smell the coffee and stop voting R because a a majority of poor southerners are still voting R

We tell everywhere else in the world FYGM, I'd just rather not have Alabama's electorate influencing the policy where I live, where we don't vote like complete morons.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Actually no, this is false as all hell.

you're right, the federal government is the fast track to getting something done effectively and efficiently, like ensuring drug policy is reasonable, keeping an eye on those pesky financiers and continuing to murder foreign nationals

see there's so many fewer stakeholders in the federal government it means the debates go way faster and policy decisions get made quickly

let's not forget how much the federal government protects unions from attacks by state legislatures as well

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
i don't put the fault at the feet of the federal government, i think it's the fault of the moronic electorate in the south continuing to support a backwards political party regardless of the consequences

the federal government is hamstrung by those people and prevents progress, we'd be better off if our leaders didn't have to pander to those people in order to get elected

I'm down for keeping the federation for the good states, I just want to cut out the lovely ones

put it this way,

if we kicked the american south out of the federation, we would already have federally mandated gay marriage

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

The people who are most affected aren't voting Romney. Look at the racial crosstabs.

It doesn't change the fact that a majority of poor southerners (the group you mentioned) voted for the guy who wanted to prevent them from having healthcare.

As far as racial groups go, my first advice to any minority living in the south would be to get the gently caress out as fast as possible. I understand that's not an option for everyone, but again, I don't think the poor here should have to suffer because the south will fight tooth and nail against social progress. If that's "gently caress your poor people, I'd rather help the guy I see homeless on the streets every day" then so be it.

quote:

Most of the war on drugs is state-level. Notice how the DEA is doing jack poo poo about Washington and Colorado?

Stoked by the federal government over the past 30 years by the continued militarization of the police force (again, pushed by the feds)

To act like the federal government isn't largely responsible for the war on drugs is pretty drat disingenuous. Scheduling laws?

quote:

An America without the South wouldn't be at war with al-qaeda?

An America without the South probably wouldn't have invaded Iraq because the GOP would have never won in 2000.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 22, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
I would be way more interested in proper scheduling and research laws as opposed to "legalizing" anything in specific. The federal government prevents tons of legitimiate drug research across the country. MDMA is a great example actually, because it's shown a ton of promise as a therapy for PTSD.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I too am for the mass genocide of Americans

well once we kick them out of the union they aren't really Americans any more and we have a long history of killing people from other places so no harm no foul as far as I see it

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"get out of the south, minorities!" says an american who lives in a part of the country that has far less minorities than the south

it's not the quantity, it's the quality

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ah, so you're only interested in helping the good ones

the ones who don't vote R are more than welcome

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

There are no Southerner minorities voting R.

95% of Alabaman black people voted for Obama.

Again, they are welcome to come here, those are the good ones

it's totally normal, and progressive, to hate an entire group of people because they don't think the way you think, and to accuse them of being racially intolerant despite living in far more diverse communities

ahh, internet leftism

uhh I don't hate them I just think they are dumb and want them to stop influencing the policy where I live. it's not really much of an accusation when they openly support racist ideas

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

This is not a good distinction to make about black people just so you know.

i wasn't just talking about black people just so you know

corn in the bible posted:

down with slavery, you're a stupid, bigoted racist piece of poo poo who doesnt know a drat thing about the north, the south, minorities, or in fact anything at all. i'm guessing you're probably a middle-class obese white man, who thinks that what he reads on the internet is the sum total of existence. i could be wrong, though -- maybe you're not obese.

lol

this is what hitler said about the jews

ridic slacktivisim here. it's pretty easy to sit in front of a computer in a 95% white suburb and decry the racism of the world. but it's not very interesting except when people laugh at how retarded you are

hey woah there godwin im not saying we should kill anyone or kick anyone out, I'm saying we should cut the chaff that is the south because they aren't pulling their weight

nice hitler name drop though, keeping it real for sure

"if it werent for those mean old white southern racist, the united states would be a progressive utopia" -someone who never goes outside

i'm not looking for a utopia, just an improvement, ie removing GOP dominated shitholes from the union

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

so your big idea to save the union is to throw out over half of it

i think we call that "secession"

yes, that's what I want them to do

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just saying but literal FEMA death camps for "bad people" would be a more practical and effective way to fix things than "the good ones can move to the nebulously defined Good Zones". Not that it's a high bar.

well honestly anyone can move here, but they need to apply for citizenship before they can vote in our elections (if we're talking post-secession)

pre-secession, yeah, if you're not trying to gtfo of the south actively you're making poor life decisions, sucks if you can't make it out but I'm not really interested in waiting for your state to catch up to the 21st century before I can do things like provide a decent healthcare system for the people here

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

if you're advocating for a white enclave utopia that contains a smaller portion of the country's land and population, that makes you the racial secessionist hth

i'm not, i don't know why you guys keep making it about race, also my union would probably be bigger than the people we kicked out, I'm down with states from Cali to NY, there's just a few bad apples we gotta get rid of

it's really weird that you guys get all caught up on race, you realize there are more minorities outside of the south than inside of it, right?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

you did say you'd only allow the good blacks in

no I didn't, I said the minorities that vote D are more than welcome to come

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is literal Nazi poo poo.

also known as "how voting works in the rest of the world". it's not like you can move to the UK and vote in their election. You have to be a citizen to vote.

did you miss the "post-secession" bit? a wee bit of selective quoting from the old fishmech

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

i mean you can't really blame me for pointing out that you sound functionally the same as a west virginian coal miner in 1910

no honestly I expected a pretty reactionary response when I made the claim that the progressive states would be better off without the conservative ones

what other limitations and restriction on minority behavior are you going to impose, while you're at it?

no dancing out past 9

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

thinking there are progressive and conservative states is about as retarded as thinking there are worthy and unworthy minorities

So you're saying that you can't tell me whether Oregon or Mississippi is more progressive? Seems like a fruitful line of discussion.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No voting in the rest of the world doesn't involve randomly declaring chunks of your country no longer part of it and demanding everyone who didn't move reregister, you Nazi lunatic.

Tell that to Sudan.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, this is flat out moronic. There's way more advantage to be had by keeping the states and getting rid of the population. Why give up resources, ports, and infrastructure?

No poo poo, this is a thread about breaking up the US, it's not a legitimate proposal.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sudan's situation is all hosed up over it. You think that was a good outcome, really?

No it's just the reality of when a country breaks up. You don't get to vote remotely. I never said it was a good outcome, it's just what happens when countries split up. See also: Yugoslavia

quote:

Nothing you have ever posted has been sane or legitimate.

drat bro those are some really harsh words you've got there, maybe you'd like to throw down some sick memes or an image macro?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

But the country isn't breaking up, your insane Hitlerian plan is to kick out a bunch of states without their consent in the hope of genocide.

you've unmasked my true aims! bah, the jig is up

paragon1 posted:

Watch and be amazed as yet another mass migration of black people in the USA causes racist conservatives to magically reappear where they moved.

The trick is that they were there the whole time.

ok now this is a legitimate argument, prolly sad but true

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In case you were wondering, down with slavery, this poster concurring with you is a more damning criticism of your lunatic ideas than anything anyone else could make.

trust me, i know

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Yada yada yada anyone too poor to evacuate New Orleans before Katrina is lazy and deserved it for their poor life decisions :jerkbag:
no i think there are legimately some people that are hosed, but like I said, there are people where I live that are hosed too because of the federal government's ineptitude

VitalSigns posted:

That's because there are people outside of the South than in it. If you kicked out the South, the US would have a higher proportion of white people.

Your proposal is to make it better for those people while sentencing mostly areas with the highest percentages of black and hispanic people to live in New White South Africa: Apartheid 2 Electric Boogaloo

why? im pretty sure montana, wyoming, idaho, wva, the dakotas are all getting kicked out and are all white dominated, it's not JUST the south (although theres a lotta states there that have to go)

plus cali and nevada are welcome and there's plenty of non-whites there

it's really not about race, it's about politics

here's my dream union team: Hawaii, Alaska, Cali, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Minnesota, Pennsylvania/Maryland and everything north of there. honestly we can probably afford to ditch the entire midwest (lets keep illinois though for chicago and the wheat- maybe Ohio if they can clean up their act)

We'll even take some edge cases, like Utah and Wisconsin. Those are red states I can deal with.

Also fyi I still want Puerto Rico, place balls

fourth edit: I want Florida too, but we're instituting death panels first and killing everyone over the age of 55, should fix things up there quickly enough

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 23, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

So you want to shatter America into disconnected pieces and leave the USA dependent on the goodwill of the horrible regressive GOP-run shitholes for transcontinental road and rail links, oil, food, the Mississippi river, and major ports. The states we kicked out who hate us. In other words:

Actually let's just go ahead and make three countries.

Give Florida back to spain as a gesture of good will

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

paragon1 posted:

We should do the opposite and get more states. Let's annex Canada and Mexico.

C'mooooooon North American Union let's do it!

This would also probably solve our problems fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

That's a fantastic strategy, post something fucktarded then claim it was done as fakepost, or ironically. What's next, you claim to be gay, or talk about Caramel Machiato?

You do realize this is a thread about breaking up the United States into smaller entities right? The thread is basically a fakepost.

• Locked thread