Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I think the best example is procedural generation, which is used in a ton of indie games, often viewed as "lazy game design" but really the bad examples of it like Rogue Legacy or Rogue Shooter the developers just didn't know how to use it effectively.

i dont know if its lazy or not cuz im no coder but i do know that procedural generation 90% of the time results in lovely level design unless the game is designed around it, like crawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

babypolis posted:

i dont know if its lazy or not cuz im no coder but i do know that procedural generation 90% of the time results in lovely level design unless the game is designed around it, like crawl

Yea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

man i am so freaking preachy today. my bad lol

thats p.much it, im studying android game design and they p much teach to cut corners on everything

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Im going to make the next ultra popular mobile game that is free to play but nigh impossible to progress and get in the leaderboards without shelling up a hundo bucks in microtransactions :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Im going to make the next ultra popular mobile game that is free to play but nigh impossible to progress and get in the leaderboards without shelling up a hundo bucks in microtransactions :getin:

Good luck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

the way i see it is that game designers, even ones that arent the best at it or dont have the most pure intentions, dont have unlimited amounts of money, or the game theyre making isnt gonna be expected to make them millions since it might be some niche thing or whatever. its not really like painting or writing where you can give it everything youve got since a game can possibly bankrupt your studio if it goes wrong, so that probably doesnt allow designers include everything they wanna include just out of love for the medium.

yeah. this is why stuff like the souls games existing how they and doing as well as they do financially is ownage and crazy unique as far as I know

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

yeah. this is why stuff like the souls games existing how they and doing as well as they do financially is ownage and crazy unique as far as I know

miyazaki is so cool + i love him for being responsible for ending the cinema game era. at least i think its ending

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and u just know theres so much he wanted to include but couldnt. kojima talks about how he hard it is to include everything he wants to all the time too

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i thought goons bitched and moaned about publishers more than developers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

and u just know theres so much he wanted to include but couldnt. kojima talks about how he hard it is to include everything he wants to all the time too

he got fired from MGSV......

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

he'll be fine. hopefully the game will too

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
People who complain about a new game in a series being a samey rehash of the other ones if they don't change that much, who also complain about sequels being like a different game altogether if they change a bunch of things.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

he's still working on it until release, so it will be fine. MGS 6 is going to suck rear end though

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Then why are you studying android game design??

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

MGS6 could basically be a remake of the original 8-bit Metal Gear so there's no reason it should suck rear end

well it could be alright, but I'm anticipating a Twin Peaks Season 2 scenario where a lot of the creatives of the original work are still involved but whoever is making the decisions doesn't get it in the cosmic sense and the end result is just way off Mark. I'd love to be surprised tho

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

People who complain about a new game in a series being a samey rehash of the other ones if they don't change that much, who also complain about sequels being like a different game altogether if they change a bunch of things.

nintendo fan feels

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

liquid courage posted:

i thought goons bitched and moaned about publishers more than developers.

that's borderline normalfag-tier bitching. dev QQs are full blown AIDS.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Honestly, I have never once met a person who actually had this opinion.

When it comes to sequels, I have only heard people say "just remake it with modern graphics!"

Then again, I was a Starcraft, Quake, and Rainbow Six kid.

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

miyazaki is so cool + i love him for being responsible for ending the cinema game era. at least i think its ending

there are still enough people in the industry who wanted to make movies but couldn't hack it that it'll stay on for awhile. it does feel like it's slowing down though which owns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

there are still enough people in the industry who wanted to make movies but couldn't hack it that it'll stay on for awhile. it does feel like it's slowing down though which owns

that quoate from the order devs was pretty lol

quote:

CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

i think the order sold like poo poo though so hopefully they;'ll cut that out

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

quote:

Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

somebody call the cops

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
lmao

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

that quoate from the order devs was pretty lol

i think the order sold like poo poo though so hopefully they;'ll cut that out

We’re going for this filmic look, so one thing that we knew immediately was films run at 24 fps. We’re gonna run at 30 because 24 fps does not feel good to play. So there’s one concession in terms of making it aesthetically pleasing, because it just has to feel good to play.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

man i am so freaking preachy today. my bad lol

This kinda poo poo is what ycs/the Imp Zone was supposed to be,rather than the video game byob lite where you can sat the naughty swears.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Well it probably wasn't supposed to be that but it's what I think it should be.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This kinda poo poo is what ycs/the Imp Zone was supposed to be,rather than the video game byob lite where you can sat the naughty swears.

i'm on board with that

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Normal Gay Man: I'm sexually attracted to men and masculine features.
Me: yeah...!! IM loving gay!! im a real god drat homo! fill my rear end in a top hat with semen!!

Normal Gay Man: I got tested for AIDS at the clinic today, just like I do on a regular basis.
Me: Haha fuckin Fail AIDS!! extremely poz my--- oh you do that?

Normal Gay Man: Throughout my life I have been barred from many social institutions, even as simple as donating blood.
Me: I'm legally blocked from going within 10 yards of a pussy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Normal Gay Man: I'm sexually attracted to men and masculine features.
Me: yeah...!! IM loving gay!! im a real god drat homo! fill my rear end in a top hat with semen!!

Normal Gay Man: I got tested for AIDS at the clinic today, just like I do on a regular basis.
Me: Haha fuckin Fail AIDS!! extremely poz my--- oh you do that?

Normal Gay Man: Throughout my life I have been barred from many social institutions, even as simple as donating blood.
Me: I'm legally blocked from going within 10 yards of a pussy

You'd be in jail the second you woke if you couldn't be within 10 yards of a pussy haha

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Same.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Irony poisoning is real.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't read, playing playing pinball.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Good thread :frogbon:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

+1
but im probably being an hypocrite right now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qnqnx posted:

+1
but im probably being an hypocrite right now

This.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dinner Fan holocaust

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Irony is hella lame

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you look at star war sex parrots posts in the games gta v thread, every single one is flaming someone else's computer parts.

This is awesome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you look at star war sex parrots posts in the games gta v thread, every single one is flaming someone else's computer parts.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I use it to organize Tabletop RPGs instead of talking about video games.

• Locked thread