Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Coal -> Hydro -> Oil -> Natural Gas -> Nuclear -> Wind -> Solar -> MICROWAVE -> Fusion.

It seems to me like we're skipping a very important part of technology. Because of the rich wealthy classes wanting to get the most out of their oil dollars they're sabotaging things like the electric car, and skipping straight to fusion energy even though we already have the technology to easily put satellites into orbit around the planet. This is most likely a stalling strategy by the power classes that are in control.

I don't know much about fusion power but from what I've read, even though we're making progress it's still a long way off. At the current time in our species tech tree it makes more sense to put satellites into orbit that will then beam the suns energy back to earth to a microwave power plant. It is both economically viable and the dividends will be huge on this technology's stocks. The big problem though is that the central bankers already know about this. They're choosing to skip this part of the technology tree because the sooner we have alternatives to oil, the sooner their oil dollars will plummet.

If there are any fusion goons here, I'd love to hear your take on fusion power plants. What, if anything, can we do about this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Quantum mechanics means that everything possible is happening at once - therefore, there is free energy emanating from every point in the universe. My invention allows you to harness this latent energy to iron your hair, heat your pancakes, etc etc. Any central bankers please contact me at groovy_dude69@yahoo.biz

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Frykte posted:

Coal -> Hydro -> Oil -> Natural Gas -> Nuclear -> Wind -> Solar -> MICROWAVE -> Fusion.

It seems to me like we're skipping a very important part of technology. Because of the rich wealthy classes wanting to get the most out of their oil dollars they're sabotaging things like the electric car, and skipping straight to fusion energy even though we already have the technology to easily put satellites into orbit around the planet. This is most likely a stalling strategy by the power classes that are in control.

I don't know much about fusion power but from what I've read, even though we're making progress it's still a long way off. At the current time in our species tech tree it makes more sense to put satellites into orbit that will then beam the suns energy back to earth to a microwave power plant. It is both economically viable and the dividends will be huge on this technology's stocks. The big problem though is that the central bankers already know about this. They're choosing to skip this part of the technology tree because the sooner we have alternatives to oil, the sooner their oil dollars will plummet.

If there are any fusion goons here, I'd love to hear your take on fusion power plants. What, if anything, can we do about this??

I usually just use nuclear until fusion unlocks and by them I'm in arcologies anyhow.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Frykte posted:

Uh what about when the beam misses the massive dish smart guy? Especially after you defunded the FD to afford the thing?!

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

de_dust posted:

Uh what about when the beam misses the massive dish smart guy? Especially after you defunded the FD to afford the thing?!

The odds of this happening are astronomical and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

Nice big intelligent looking graph Palace of Hate, mind telling us plebeians what exactly it means??

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Frykte posted:

Nice big intelligent looking graph Palace of Hate, mind telling us plebeians what exactly it means??

it means it won't work for the same reason your satellite tv goes out when it's raining. also the same reason that your food gets hot when you microwave it. basically you would just be microwaving the atmosphere with somewhere between 100-10000x of the power you recover at the ground "power station"

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

it means it won't work for the same reason your satellite tv goes out when it's raining. also the same reason that your food gets hot when you microwave it. basically you would just be microwaving the atmosphere with somewhere between 100-10000x of the power you recover at the ground "power station"

Before you fire the energy laser break the atmospheric pressure with a large metal rod like breaking the water with a cannonball before diving in.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Palace of Hate posted:

I'm no physicist, but those drops correspond to the absorption spectrum of oxygen/nitrogen- and microwaves operate at 1 to 30 GHz, not THz

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Keep in mind that once the satellite is in orbit, it will be able to power itself and send out drones to create these large metal rods. Another solution to the problem is similar to a space elevator: A large tube that runs from the satellite back to earth. If the inside of the tube is made out of mirror or even possibly crystals the satellite will be able to beam energy past the atmosphere. The energy tube doesn't even need to extend all the way back to earth, only past the atmosphere. If we can build an elevator to space then this will be extremely easy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Or instead of doing any of that gay poo poo, we just skip microwave power and go onto fusion energy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Frykte posted:

Before you fire the energy laser break the atmospheric pressure with a large metal rod like breaking the water with a cannonball before diving in.

goldmine this thread

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Or instead of doing any of that gay poo poo, we just skip microwave power and go onto fusion energy.

This would be a good idea if we knew how close fusion energy is. It could be a month, it could be a century! We're going to eventually be constructing a giant space platform that covers large parts of the earth eventually anyways so it's not like we're going to be wasting our microwave power plant investment. If we discover fusion power during the microwave investments, we can just recycle the microwave satellites to do something else.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think you'd worry less about this if you could just find a nice disembodied voice to reticulate your splines.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I thought this thread was about microwave plasma waste gasifiers, which are more interesting:

http://www.icheme.org/events/conferences/past-conferences/2014/gasification-2014/~/media/0B5DFDA953774D3C89ACBFDC679EFCE5.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_gasification

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Didn't we used to have an energy generation mega thread to corral these cranks in one place?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Pretty sure this is the graph you're looking for:

Unless you're thinking of laser transmission, which yeah is super inefficient. Microwave sucks because it's not nearly directional enough.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

goldmine this thread

YOU CAN'T GOLDMINE THIS THREAD! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Frykte posted:

Keep in mind that once the satellite is in orbit, it will be able to power itself and send out drones to create these large metal rods. Another solution to the problem is similar to a space elevator: A large tube that runs from the satellite back to earth. If the inside of the tube is made out of mirror or even possibly crystals the satellite will be able to beam energy past the atmosphere. The energy tube doesn't even need to extend all the way back to earth, only past the atmosphere. If we can build an elevator to space then this will be extremely easy.

I have personally been doing high-level research into these energy beams and have made several promising breakthroughs that could help to make this idea a reality, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91xkISmp2g

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Frykte posted:

FIRE SPACE DICK!

Firing space dick, sir.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Firing space dick, sir.
________/

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Pretty sure this is the graph you're looking for:

Unless you're thinking of laser transmission, which yeah is super inefficient. Microwave sucks because it's not nearly directional enough.

Job Truniht posted:

I'm no physicist, but those drops correspond to the absorption spectrum of oxygen/nitrogen- and microwaves operate at 1 to 30 GHz, not THz

pretty sure .01 terahertz is 10 gigahertz

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We'll feed the poor with all the roast birds! Problem solved!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think you'd worry less about this if you could just find a nice disembodied voice to reticulate your splines.

'Ey girl. Lemme get dem splines from you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Palace of Hate posted:

Sounds like a great way to experiment with terraforming. What I'm picturing are platforms dotting the Indian ocean, to turn the Nejd wet and restore the cedars of lebanon.

How much fresh water could a microwave conceivably create per day of operation?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sounds like a great way to experiment with terraforming. What I'm picturing are platforms dotting the Indian ocean, to turn the Nejd wet and restore the cedars of lebanon.

if you accelerate the incoming microwaves with a turboencabulator you could probably produce anywhere from 69 to 420 grams per microwave squared per fortnight

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

From what I've read microwave power plants can output as much as 1,600 megawatts. I'm not sure how much fresh water that translates into.

edit: My source is a little out-dated I imagine that if scientists actually started working out the kinks it could produce much more than 1,600.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Frykte posted:

From what I've read microwave power plants can output as much as 1,600 megawatts. I'm not sure how much fresh water that translates into.

Well lets say you're microwaving the ocean off the west coast of California. Will it help solve this drought?

Also, how many 50 megaton nuclear warheads would it take to produce the same atmospheric humidity as one years' worth of microwave beam operation?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

edit: My source is a little out-dated I imagine that if scientists actually started working out the kinks it could produce much more than 1,600.

What good is 1,600 megawatts when you are actively frying the atmosphere that sustains life on this planet.

http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/ARI/ARI%20Study%20Report/ACT-RPT-NRG-ARI-04-9102-Environmental_impacts_of%20microwave_beams-Report.pdf

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 15, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
This thread is dumb. You are dumb. This forum used to have non dumb users. What the gently caress happened?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

we could just build like 100 nuclear power plants instead of this stupid rear end bullshit

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Read the entire thread before replying please. It won't hurt the atmosphere because it's either going through a tube for the length of the atmosphere, or a metal rod will make a path for the microwaves.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Frykte posted:

Read the entire thread before replying please. It won't hurt the atmosphere because it's either going through a tube for the length of the atmosphere, or a metal rod will make a path for the microwaves.

the dankest coaxial cable ever to be conceived

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

Or, and this is a big one, we could build an nuclear power plant with equivalent output and not even bother with record shattering massive metal rods and giant tubes.

But that's just me.

PerpetualSelf posted:

This thread is dumb. You are dumb. This forum used to have non dumb users. What the gently caress happened?

You happened.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

what if like, all the air escapes out of the metal rod into space, what then???!?!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

what if like, all the air escapes out of the metal rod into space, what then???!?!?

Then we have to make a Hollywood action film starring Bruce Willis about saving the world.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Or, and this is a big one, we could build an nuclear power plant with equivalent output and not even bother with record shattering massive metal rods and giant tubes.

But that's just me.

There's already a gigantic source of nuclear energy in space called The Sun. We can spend money creating more nuclear power plants or we can spend money grabbing all the free energy from the sun.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Frykte posted:

Could we attach a double pully to the tube, and synergize the core pillars?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Frykte posted:

There's already a gigantic source of nuclear energy in space called The Sun. We can spend money creating more nuclear power plants or we can spend money grabbing all the free energy from the sun.

theres too many magnetic field lines, air molecules, and delta velocities between us and that idiot

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What's truly horrible is that as stupid as this sounds to anyone with like, two active braincells, there are groups getting funding to pursue this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Palace of Hate posted:

theres too many magnetic field lines, air molecules, and delta velocities between us and that idiot

Could we maybe deploy some flaps and sail on the solar winds? It'd win the war on terrorism.

• Locked thread