Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
You had me up until you said Wind > Nuclear. lol

It's not an advancement, it's much less effective and pretty useless if you compare the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

There's already a gigantic source of nuclear energy in space called The Sun. We can spend money creating more nuclear power plants or we can spend money grabbing all the free energy from the sun.

....you have to spend money to harness the power of the sun. Or did you think all the giant solar arrays in space and the giant microwave receiving dishes were going to be free, too? Oh, and the tons of research you need to do to even make this an effective system.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

....you have to spend money to harness the power of the sun. Or did you think all the giant solar arrays in space and the giant microwave receiving dishes were going to be free, too?

Well, could we do anything to turn the moon into a weaponized microwave dish?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
why has this thread not been goldmined as per my earlier request

the ignorant are now soiling its beauty

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, could we do anything to turn the moon into a weaponized microwave dish?

Considering the amount of energy you'd need to harvest to achieve his cited goal of 1,600 MW, chances are you wouldn't need to.

Hell, just remember what a poorly thought out mirrored building in London did to some guys Jaguar: It started melting it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Considering the amount of energy you'd need to harvest to achieve his cited goal of 1,600 MW, chances are you wouldn't need to.

Hell, just remember what a poorly thought out mirrored building in London did to some guys Jaguar: It started melting it.

if some lovely building mirrors can accidentally melt an entire expensive car, imagine what some high tech mirrors in orbit can do for our energy needs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Luckyellow posted:

You had me up until you said Wind > Nuclear. lol

It's not an advancement, it's much less effective and pretty useless if you compare the two.

This thread has been all about the power plant progression in SimCity 2000 since about the first post. Sorry to ruin everyone else's fun but this was verging on being serious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

if some lovely building mirrors can accidentally melt an entire expensive car, imagine what some high tech mirrors in orbit can do for our energy needs.

We already do that, it called a solar concentration and the most powerful one is 344 MW and takes up more space than 4 nuclear plants.

Ivanpah Solar Power Station: 344 MW @ 3,500 acres
Sequoyah Nuclear Power Station: 2274 MW @ 525 acres.

Hell, the world leader in Solar Concetrator power generation is Spain, and they still only top out at 2,204MW total for all the plants they have. That isn't even close to Sequoyah's total capacity.

So what's the loving point?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

We already do that, it called a solar concentration and the most powerful one is 344 MW and takes up more space than 4 nuclear plants.

Solar concentration is completely different from beaming down energy from a satellite.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Microwaves are too small for our power needs. We need to invest in macrowaves, like tidal generation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

Solar concentration is completely different from beaming down energy from a satellite.

Nice job moving the goal posts.

Its not feasible compared to the perfectly viable systems we can already produce without any research. The solution you are arguing for still requires tons of research and even the current proofs of concept are nowhere near your stated goal of 1,600 MW.

Tnega posted:

Microwaves are too small for our power needs. We need to invest in macrowaves, like tidal generation.

We need nanowaves. Small is bigger!

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Nice job moving the goal posts.

Its not feasible compared to the perfectly viable systems we can already produce without any research. The solution you are arguing for still requires tons of research and even the current proofs of concept are nowhere near your stated goal of 1,600 MW.

We need nanowaves. Small is bigger!

Satellite + Tube/Big Metal Rod + receiver dish = free energy from the sun (durrr yeah the materials used to make this aren't free, durrr duhh I understand this)
We have satellites, we can make big dishes are you telling me that a giant tube or a giant metal rod need tons of research??

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

Satellite + Tube/Big Metal Rod + receiver dish = free energy from the sun (durrr yeah the materials used to make this aren't free, durrr duhh I understand this)
We have satellites, we can make big dishes are you telling me that a giant tube or a giant metal rod need tons of research??

I'm saying pouring MEGAWATTS of energy through the atmosphere is a terrible idea, regardless of giant metal rods or giant tubes.

The current satellites in orbit generate maybe 400-500 watts on average for their payloads. Even the ISS generates only about 84 Kilowatts from its massive solar panels. You are wanting to generate Megawatts, and then pass those through an atmosphere. Ivanpah generates ~320 MW and covers THOUSANDS of acres. So to get to the scale you want to be at, we'd need an orbiting solar panel thousands of acres in size.

Let's take Topaz Solar Farm in California, as they are a solar panel farm and not a solar thermal plant, which is what you are proposing with your microwave generating system. They are rated at 550 MW, commendable numbers to be sure.

They utilize 9.5 MILES to do that. MILES. You know how much power you could generate if you had 9.5 miles of nuclear plants?

C'mon man. A series of tubes or giant space needle is not going to be your biggest problem.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Lol.... I don't think that there are nuclear power plants orbiting the earth dude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

Lol.... I don't think that there are nuclear power plants orbiting the earth dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAP-10A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power#Even-numbered_SNAPs:_compact_nuclear_reactors

The Curiosity Rover ring a bell? Voyager 1 and 2? Pioneer series?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

These are not lasering the generated energy back to the planet. They aren't so much power plants as they are resource removers. You say that 10 miles of nuclear plants orbiting the earth is a good thing for us to work on, but if they're orbiting then they're going to have to laser the nuclear power back to earth anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

These are not lasering the generated energy back to the planet. They aren't so much power plants as they are resource removers. You say that 10 miles of nuclear plants orbiting the earth is a good thing for us to work on, but if they're orbiting then they're going to have to laser the nuclear power back to earth anyways.

:stare: Wow, if that is all you took away from what I said, its safe to say your microwave energy project is never getting of the ground anyways. Congrats.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Frykte posted:

durrr duhh

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Frykte posted:

Satellite + Tube/Big Metal Rod + receiver durrr duhh

E:gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

E:gently caress

Its a series of tubes!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 15, 2015

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
You guys are so stupid. Clearly, you send a giant rechargeable battery to space, charge it, and bring it back down to earth. Then you swap it out like a Tesla.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think a pretty legit strategy is building coal plants in the shape of a dick so the pollution looks pretty bbc'y

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Frykte posted:

If there are any fusion goons here, I'd love to hear your take on fusion power plants. What, if anything, can we do about this??

I'm currently working in this field, what exactly do you want to know? Working power plants are a long way off, although a functioning prototype (the DEMO reactor) is the next phase of development after ITER. Current timescales put DEMO at around 15-20 years after ITER begins operation (which should happen within a few years). Notional plants maybe 10-15 years after that. Not the most hopeful timescale, it's true, but speaking with a decent knowledge of the current state of the field, it is likely to actually happen.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I feel OP would have received a lot more support if they left the microwave garbage behind and flat out admitted they want an orbital ion cannon. Who doesn't love ion cannons, they rock.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frykte posted:

Melt them?

Seriously, though, you drastically underestimate how expensive and difficult it is to put large things in space, drastically overestimate how much power a satellite with some big solar panels on it produces, and appear to think that lasering the energy through the atmosphere is safe, easy, efficient, and worth the massive costs involved.

To put things in perspective, the entire world used 22,126,000,000 MWh of electricity in 2011, and that's not even counting energy consumption from other non-electrical sources such as the gasoline in your car's tank. 1600MW (which is a loving absurd bullshit number you'd probably need a solar panel the size of Wyoming for) is a drop in the bucket.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
I don't see the big issue here. Just go into the map editor, build a big hill and place a bunch of waterfalls. Bam, you've got a base for clean, modular, indestructible hydro dams

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Just wait until we unlock mega waves - our TV dinners will be ready in a fraction of it's current time!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gavrilo Princip posted:

I'm currently working in this field, what exactly do you want to know? Working power plants are a long way off, although a functioning prototype (the DEMO reactor) is the next phase of development after ITER. Current timescales put DEMO at around 15-20 years after ITER begins operation (which should happen within a few years). Notional plants maybe 10-15 years after that. Not the most hopeful timescale, it's true, but speaking with a decent knowledge of the current state of the field, it is likely to actually happen.

I'm working in the nuclear fuels world, I do molten thorium salts! Woo!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Trochanter posted:

I don't see the big issue here. Just go into the map editor, build a big hill and place a bunch of waterfalls. Bam, you've got a base for clean, modular, indestructible hydro dams

dammit I was just about to post this

I do like the space cable made of crystals though :okpos:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Each solar array on the International Space Station can generate a maximum of about 32KW. Each solar array has a mass of 15,824 kg. (source)

For the purposes of simple math, we'll say that we can get about 2KW per metric ton of solar array.

A good-sized power plant's electrical output is often at least several hundred megawatts, if not several gigawatts. 1GW is a good round number. So about 500 metric tons, or 500,000kg of solar arrays (not counting microwave rectenna, or thrusters to keep the satellite in position, or any of the other structure that would be necessary).

Assuming we use the not-yet-built Falcon Heavy rocket, and assuming a projected payload cost of $1,000/lb, or roughly $2,200/kg (and that's generously assuming SpaceX gets everything right with their plans for reusability), it would cost about $1.1 billion dollars just to lift the solar arrays to orbit.

But wait, it gets a lot worse. Because that's the cost to low Earth orbit, or LEO, where our bigger-than-the-entire-ISS satellite would be whizzing around the planet once every 90 minutes or so. That's not really suitable for power generation; we need to get it to a much higher orbit, which is much costlier.

The projected maximum payload for Falcon Heavy is 53 metric tons to LEO, but only 19 metric tons to a geostationary transfer orbit! We'll be generous again and assume that this ratio applies to the final payload to geostationary orbit itself. This effectively raises our launch cost by a factor of at least 2.8, meaning it would cost about 3.1 billion dollars - again, this is only to lift the mass of the solar arrays into orbit. This doesn't cover actually building a modular solar array satellite bigger than the International Space Station, nor does it cover building the receiving antenna or power infrastructure on the ground. Better hope you can design it to be remotely assembled without a human presence, because manned missions will rapidly inflate your costs too.

Additionally, you're not going to get 100% efficiency from transmission either, meaning that your 1GW maximum solar array will not translate to 1GW of electricity on the ground.

Palace of Hate posted:

we could just build like 100 nuclear power plants instead of this stupid rear end bullshit

exactly

CommieGIR posted:

Hell, the world leader in Solar Concetrator power generation is Spain, and they still only top out at 2,204MW total for all the plants they have. That isn't even close to Sequoyah's total capacity.

Ivanpah also winds up burning a shitload of natural gas

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gavrilo Princip posted:

bah, Lockheed martin say they going to have one in two and half years!

As far as I can tell no one other than Lockheed martin thinks this.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Instead of microwaves, let's build a series giant mattresses in the desert that can transfer kinetic energy to electrical energy and just chuck asteroids at them. This seems much more feasible. Free energy and precious metals.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lightnings like pure energy. Can't we just get everyone to walk around any near by open fields with a lightning rod connected to a bunch of batteries.

It would be like natures lottery. Get struck by lightning, free electricity for a year!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

bah, Lockheed martin say they going to have one in two and half years!

As far as I can tell no one other than Lockheed martin thinks this.

Lockheed Martin hasn't released any actual data yet either, which makes it all the more dubious. Don't get me wrong: If it works, it could be amazing.

But we need data to support it and a public review.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Each solar array on the International Space Station can generate a maximum of about 32KW. Each solar array has a mass of 15,824 kg. (source)

For the purposes of simple math, we'll say that we can get about 2KW per metric ton of solar array.

A good-sized power plant's electrical output is often at least several hundred megawatts, if not several gigawatts. 1GW is a good round number. So about 500 metric tons, or 500,000kg of solar arrays (not counting microwave rectenna, or thrusters to keep the satellite in position, or any of the other structure that would be necessary).

Assuming we use the not-yet-built Falcon Heavy rocket, and assuming a projected payload cost of $1,000/lb, or roughly $2,200/kg (and that's generously assuming SpaceX gets everything right with their plans for reusability), it would cost about $1.1 billion dollars just to lift the solar arrays to orbit.

But wait, it gets a lot worse. Because that's the cost to low Earth orbit, or LEO, where our bigger-than-the-entire-ISS satellite would be whizzing around the planet once every 90 minutes or so. That's not really suitable for power generation; we need to get it to a much higher orbit, which is much costlier.

The projected maximum payload for Falcon Heavy is 53 metric tons to LEO, but only 19 metric tons to a geostationary transfer orbit! We'll be generous again and assume that this ratio applies to the final payload to geostationary orbit itself. This effectively raises our launch cost by a factor of at least 2.8, meaning it would cost about 3.1 billion dollars - again, this is only to lift the mass of the solar arrays into orbit. This doesn't cover actually building a modular solar array satellite bigger than the International Space Station, nor does it cover building the receiving antenna or power infrastructure on the ground. Better hope you can design it to be remotely assembled without a human presence, because manned missions will rapidly inflate your costs too.

Additionally, you're not going to get 100% efficiency from transmission either, meaning that your 1GW maximum solar array will not translate to 1GW of electricity on the ground.

exactly

Ivanpah also winds up burning a shitload of natural gas

Could we, say, construct a graphene space windmill to harvest the energy of the solar winds? Theoretically, of course.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Can the military underwrite this? One man's accidental catastrophic alignment failure is another man's carefully aimed orbital death ray. And since it's for civilian power generation, it doesn't count as weaponizing space.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Easier to go down - dig tunnels through the earths crust (I mean, it's only like 20 or so miles. We've built tunnels longer than that!)
Pump water down, get steam, turbine it to electricity, make $$$s, bribefund politicians to tax the 'space microwave' businesses out of action, etc.
A man made volcano would be awesome!

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Why don't we take the poor and put them into self contained pods which harvest their electrical energy and place their minds into a simulation of earth.

We reduce demand while increasing supply. It can't fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OzyMandrill posted:

Easier to go down - dig tunnels through the earths crust (I mean, it's only like 20 or so miles. We've built tunnels longer than that!)
Pump water down, get steam, turbine it to electricity, make $$$s, bribefund politicians to tax the 'space microwave' businesses out of action, etc.
A man made volcano would be awesome!

What would happen if you blew up a nuke inside the caldera of a collapsed, live volcano?

• Locked thread