Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Coal -> Hydro -> Oil -> Natural Gas -> Nuclear -> Wind -> Solar -> MICROWAVE -> Fusion.

It seems to me like we're skipping a very important part of technology. Because of the rich wealthy classes wanting to get the most out of their oil dollars they're sabotaging things like the electric car, and skipping straight to fusion energy even though we already have the technology to easily put satellites into orbit around the planet. This is most likely a stalling strategy by the power classes that are in control.

I don't know much about fusion power but from what I've read, even though we're making progress it's still a long way off. At the current time in our species tech tree it makes more sense to put satellites into orbit that will then beam the suns energy back to earth to a microwave power plant. It is both economically viable and the dividends will be huge on this technology's stocks. The big problem though is that the central bankers already know about this. They're choosing to skip this part of the technology tree because the sooner we have alternatives to oil, the sooner their oil dollars will plummet.

If there are any fusion goons here, I'd love to hear your take on fusion power plants. What, if anything, can we do about this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

de_dust posted:

Uh what about when the beam misses the massive dish smart guy? Especially after you defunded the FD to afford the thing?!

The odds of this happening are astronomical and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

Nice big intelligent looking graph Palace of Hate, mind telling us plebeians what exactly it means??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

it means it won't work for the same reason your satellite tv goes out when it's raining. also the same reason that your food gets hot when you microwave it. basically you would just be microwaving the atmosphere with somewhere between 100-10000x of the power you recover at the ground "power station"

Before you fire the energy laser break the atmospheric pressure with a large metal rod like breaking the water with a cannonball before diving in.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Keep in mind that once the satellite is in orbit, it will be able to power itself and send out drones to create these large metal rods. Another solution to the problem is similar to a space elevator: A large tube that runs from the satellite back to earth. If the inside of the tube is made out of mirror or even possibly crystals the satellite will be able to beam energy past the atmosphere. The energy tube doesn't even need to extend all the way back to earth, only past the atmosphere. If we can build an elevator to space then this will be extremely easy.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Or instead of doing any of that gay poo poo, we just skip microwave power and go onto fusion energy.

This would be a good idea if we knew how close fusion energy is. It could be a month, it could be a century! We're going to eventually be constructing a giant space platform that covers large parts of the earth eventually anyways so it's not like we're going to be wasting our microwave power plant investment. If we discover fusion power during the microwave investments, we can just recycle the microwave satellites to do something else.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sounds like a great way to experiment with terraforming. What I'm picturing are platforms dotting the Indian ocean, to turn the Nejd wet and restore the cedars of lebanon.

How much fresh water could a microwave conceivably create per day of operation?

From what I've read microwave power plants can output as much as 1,600 megawatts. I'm not sure how much fresh water that translates into.

edit: My source is a little out-dated I imagine that if scientists actually started working out the kinks it could produce much more than 1,600.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Read the entire thread before replying please. It won't hurt the atmosphere because it's either going through a tube for the length of the atmosphere, or a metal rod will make a path for the microwaves.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Or, and this is a big one, we could build an nuclear power plant with equivalent output and not even bother with record shattering massive metal rods and giant tubes.

But that's just me.

There's already a gigantic source of nuclear energy in space called The Sun. We can spend money creating more nuclear power plants or we can spend money grabbing all the free energy from the sun.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Considering the amount of energy you'd need to harvest to achieve his cited goal of 1,600 MW, chances are you wouldn't need to.

Hell, just remember what a poorly thought out mirrored building in London did to some guys Jaguar: It started melting it.

if some lovely building mirrors can accidentally melt an entire expensive car, imagine what some high tech mirrors in orbit can do for our energy needs.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

We already do that, it called a solar concentration and the most powerful one is 344 MW and takes up more space than 4 nuclear plants.

Ivanpah Solar Power Station: 344 MW @ 3,500 acres
Sequoyah Nuclear Power Station: 2274 MW @ 525 acres.

So what's the loving point?

Solar concentration is completely different from beaming down energy from a satellite.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Nice job moving the goal posts.

Its not feasible compared to the perfectly viable systems we can already produce without any research. The solution you are arguing for still requires tons of research and even the current proofs of concept are nowhere near your stated goal of 1,600 MW.

We need nanowaves. Small is bigger!

Satellite + Tube/Big Metal Rod + receiver dish = free energy from the sun (durrr yeah the materials used to make this aren't free, durrr duhh I understand this)
We have satellites, we can make big dishes are you telling me that a giant tube or a giant metal rod need tons of research??

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Lol.... I don't think that there are nuclear power plants orbiting the earth dude.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

These are not lasering the generated energy back to the planet. They aren't so much power plants as they are resource removers. You say that 10 miles of nuclear plants orbiting the earth is a good thing for us to work on, but if they're orbiting then they're going to have to laser the nuclear power back to earth anyways.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Melt them?

Seriously, though, you drastically underestimate how expensive and difficult it is to put large things in space, drastically overestimate how much power a satellite with some big solar panels on it produces, and appear to think that lasering the energy through the atmosphere is safe, easy, efficient, and worth the massive costs involved.

To put things in perspective, the entire world used 22,126,000,000 MWh of electricity in 2011, and that's not even counting energy consumption from other non-electrical sources such as the gasoline in your car's tank. 1600MW (which is a loving absurd bullshit number you'd probably need a solar panel the size of Wyoming for) is a drop in the bucket.

I dunno where you're getting your figures from but all my research papers (can't link them they're behind an extremely expensive pay wall that you can't afford) estimate that a single microwave power plant will cost approx. 28,000$ dollars and output 1,600MW. Again, this is out of date so I expect that the real cost will be lower by now.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

I'm currently working in this field, what exactly do you want to know? Working power plants are a long way off, although a functioning prototype (the DEMO reactor) is the next phase of development after ITER. Current timescales put DEMO at around 15-20 years after ITER begins operation (which should happen within a few years). Notional plants maybe 10-15 years after that. Not the most hopeful timescale, it's true, but speaking with a decent knowledge of the current state of the field, it is likely to actually happen.

How safe are they? In spider-man 2 the miniature sun they create gets out of control and I think Dr. Octopus has to sacrifice himself to stop it from growing and destroying the planet. Are fusion reactors more or less dangerous than nuclear? Would you say an out of control fusion reaction is more or less likely than the microwave energy tube breaking/bending?? Thanks.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Wait, you're going to build a loving space elevator and all you're going to do with it is use your bullshit energy generation technology from SImCity 2000?

BTW, the materials required to make a space elevator don't exist and may never exist. It ain't gonna be metal either.

Also if your 35,785-kilometer bullwhip to the heavens breaks, what's going to happen to the earth?

E: Oh wow he really did take this straight from SimCity 2000.

Yeah you better call my 3rd grade teacher and tell her to change my A+ grade for my report about ants based entirely on Sim Ant because video games can't possibly be scientifically accurate, right? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

Did people not actually get that this was a SimCity 2000 thing from the first post?

The authors of the SimCity 2000 instruction manual used solid peer reviewed scientific research for the sections on water systems and power plants. Nobody in this thread has actually refuted using a tube to get microwave energy past the atmosphere.

• Locked thread