Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, on what is Catherine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is the reasoning behind out of character stuff being caused due to drug use?

E: Or more specifically, why that is the reasoning being defaulted to ITT, I should say

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am a bit confuse why people here and elsewhere didn't thought this episode was funny, sure there weren't as many good "lines" as usual but there were a ton of great and funny character moments.

Amy's dress was hilarious.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mr.capps posted:

I am a bit confuse why people here and elsewhere didn't thought this episode was funny, sure there weren't as many good "lines" as usual

yea that is pretty much the sum of it i'd say

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean I feel like the "Wicker Dan" is good enough to make up for the typical amount we get.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Without looking too far into it, was this episode heavily improvised? If not, it still successfully carries that feeling, and I like it. Still relatively early in the episode, however.

Edit: Side note: It's nice to see Cheryl from The Wire (Melanie Nicholls-King) as Ms. Bennett.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 8, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
R.I.P. Lawrence from Office Space/Ray Roy Strickland's political career.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PostNouveau posted:

J-Rock, Jizzy Gallespi, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylian, Tinker Balls, Wadzilla, One Erection, the Pointless Giant, the 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s nutsacks, Transgenderformer, Scrotum Pole, the Cloud Botherer, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Teenage Mutant Ninja rear end in a top hat, Benedict Cuminhisownhand, supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Guysscraper, Pubaka

I loving loved this part.

Also Dan desperately flailing to get out of this mess in the cuts.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Best part for me was when Jonah was describing his molestation and was reaching for water and Dan snatched it up right before Jonah could grab it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The idea worked better in The Thick of It, since it was used to take down a what was seen as a unremoveable person. I never got that impression of Erickson like you got of Malcolm. It would've worked better if they managed to spin it onto someone more important or kept them firing the lady who replaced Amy initially into this.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 8, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How much of the show is improvised?

Season 3 both feels much looser with its comments but much more tightly paced, somehow.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
IIRC Iannucci said in an interview that they usually shoot two versions of every scene; one where they follow the script closely and another where the actors improvise.

Zombie Raptor posted:

Without looking too far into it, was this episode heavily improvised? If not, it still successfully carries that feeling, and I like it. Still relatively early in the episode, however.

The answers were probably improvised for the most part. That's what they did in the inquiry episode in The Thick of It.

Also, Dan Egan is a... solid five-and-a-half, weak six.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

I lost it at "set fire to the WickerDan". That was an exceptionally good half hour of television.

TheHoodedClaw fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 8, 2015

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Is "Cloud Botherer" a reference that I'm missing?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I thought it was a play on 'horse whisperer' with a touch of 'god botherer', but I might be missing something as well.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I assumed it was just because he's so tall he disturbs the clouds. I just love the phrasing of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, it just means his presence bothers clouds.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sakarja posted:

Also, Dan Egan is a... solid five-and-a-half, weak six.

Amy's look when this went down was amazing. Also later when Jonah was into some spiel and she could barely contain her laughter.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I thought Sam was amazing in this episode. Him whispering "X Box" into the microphone after someone I think said something like "We're not playing games here!" and then in the deleted scenes very slowly and systematically pushing in all the chairs as he leaves the room.

Edit: Called the character by his actor's name. Richard is the character. In my defense I originally typed this really late at night

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I thought Sam was amazing in this episode. Him whispering "X Box" into the microphone after someone I think said something like "We're not playing games here!" and then in the deleted scenes very slowly and systematically pushing in all the chairs as he leaves the room.

JONAH: She's playing you, like a... cheap...
RICHARD (leans in, helpfully): Like a XBOX.

He is so eager to please, and so completely useless.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kampfbereit posted:

JONAH: She's playing you, like a... cheap...
RICHARD (leans in, helpfully): Like a XBOX.

He is so eager to please, and so completely useless.

He is so amazing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I was super down on him when he showed up but the actor has really nailed the performance and plays extremely well off of Jonah.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
He's managed to give the character enormous depth by changing absolutely nothing about his performance since he's showed up.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

The middle name line, and the line about Jonah being one of the women who was molested, combined with his delivery are probably the funniest things I have ever heard.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Does anyone else think that they're building up Hugh Laurie to take over as the titular character?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Does anyone else think that they're building up Hugh Laurie to take over as the titular character?

Yeah I got that impression too. I thought this episode was going to be pinning a bunch of poo poo on Selina as a lead-in to dumping her. It makes a lot of sense if JLD is looking to move on from the show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does she though? The impression I got was that she was having a blast filming Veep and didn't want to bail on it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I've haven't had that impression at all. Never felt like Laurie was being built up as the next main character or that JLD wanted to leave the show, pretty much the exact opposite.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brigadier Sockface posted:

You mean the guy who's running for, and will probably become, Vice President on the television show Veep? The very same television show that hasn't had a titular character since the former Veep became PotUS? That guy on that show, really?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Can't they keep both actors but just switch focus to Tom? There still needs to be a POTUS right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well the other side of that theory is junk too though I recall Hugh Laurie explicitly not wanting to move to US to film anything.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
We never saw the former POTUS so Selena getting bumped down to Veep for Hugh Laurie's POTUS makes sense.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It makes sense except, as far as I can tell, there is no legal precedent for it. I think literally everyone'd be calling bullshit, were it to happen. A friend of mine was wondering if they'd got he 269/269 route for the electoral college result, which I find to be more plausible but still unlikely.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hepscat posted:

We never saw the former POTUS so Selena getting bumped down to Veep for Hugh Laurie's POTUS makes sense.

But she'd rather be shot in the loving face.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Show will suck once Ianucci leaves anyways

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I was roflmaoing extra hard at Mike's knee cream bit, this show is the funniest show ever

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

mobby_6kl posted:

Well the other side of that theory is junk too though I recall Hugh Laurie explicitly not wanting to move to US to film anything.
Well, as mentioned last week this isn't f'n House, they film a season in rougly three months instead of 9-10. So there'd be no need for him to move anywhere.

Still pretty sure Selina's gonna be back at her old job by Sunday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cliff Racer posted:

Well that wasn't all that funny or interesting until the last five minutes. Disappointment was highest when the Jonad file had only like one really funny zinger. Guyscraper.

I disagree, I was laughing the whole time.

That said, wish it were a full 2 hour movie.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been laughing at "The Cloud Botherer" for the last few days off and on. It's so...whimsical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There needs to be a special exception to allow the thread title to be the list of Jonah nicknames. I couldn't breathe.

• Locked thread