Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

It's really cool how every single thing that happens in this show is compared to a different show, every week

this thread loving sucks and you all suck at posting about this show

Hey idiot, guess what, characters appearing at the TToI inquiry was announced in literally the exact same way (them being sworn in one by one as credits rolled.) This is because it was written by the same person. Its a deliberate call-back. There might be some less than great posts in this thread but yours is probably the worst of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
"Welcome to the circle jerk, grab a dick"

The misadventures of lobbyist Dan and Amy continue to amaze, sad about the lack of Purcell this episode though, he's such a perfect snake.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Purcell is still in the show? The weird season one fuckery where all of a sudden there was two oil guys on the clean air act (soon defeated) still rankles. About to finish season 2 tonight! Woo!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cliff Racer posted:

Hey idiot, guess what, characters appearing at the TToI inquiry was announced in literally the exact same way (them being sworn in one by one as credits rolled.) This is because it was written by the same person. Its a deliberate call-back. There might be some less than great posts in this thread but yours is probably the worst of them.

You sound real mad, you should probably step back and think about why you're posting about the wrong show in the wrong thread before calling me an idiot for pointing that out

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This show is almost exactly a continuation of The Thick of It written by the same dude and hitting many of the same comedy beats. I don't get what the problem of directly comparing episodes and plotlines is.

We are the Internet comedy forum who analyses tv shows way too goddamn much, after the gently caress all.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
All I know is that if t rhey 're going with the same improvisational format next week, Matt Walsh is gonna own that episode.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Illinois Smith posted:

All I know is that if t rhey 're going with the same improvisational format next week, Matt Walsh is gonna own that episode.

If they do I'm expecting great things from Chlumsky.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fetus Tree posted:

You sound real mad, you should probably step back and think about why you're posting about the wrong show in the wrong thread before calling me an idiot for pointing that out

I only lurk in this thread but this makes you sound ridiculous enough that I want to quote it

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Narcissus1916 posted:

Purcell is still in the show? The weird season one fuckery where all of a sudden there was two oil guys on the clean air act (soon defeated) still rankles. About to finish season 2 tonight! Woo!

They never properly destroy his phylactery, so he rises again, hungrier than ever for souls and influence on the Hill.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there some sort of dumb name for the The Thick of It/In the Loop/Veep universe yet?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just call the first two 'shows for another thread' but its more of an internal name, I admit

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is funny because i call you "poster for another thread" - that thread is in a/t and you are the op and the title is "ask me about being a bad forums poster"!!!!!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Thick of It and In The Loop are fine to post about in here, who gives a poo poo. They're all practically the same thing anyway.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Once I get caught up with Veep, I'll probably take a crack at The Thick of It again - where should I fit In the Loop in my viewing order?

I watched the first series a few years ago, but didn't keep up with it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Narcissus1916 posted:

Once I get caught up with Veep, I'll probably take a crack at The Thick of It again - where should I fit In the Loop in my viewing order?

In the Loop is almost entirely unrelated. It just has Malcolm Tucker in it. Watch it after all of TToI.

To be honest, TToI only gets really good after the pedophile leaves the show.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

After seeing the preview for the next episode, I re-watched the Inquiry episode of TTOI. I was a bit weary remembering the facts besides Mr. Tick-el dying in the previous episode, but as soon as I saw Pearson corporate-bullshit-speek his way into the inquiry itself I couldn't help but remember why I thought TTOI was amazing.

edit: http://youtu.be/nmE9Bc3F9Ss

Definitely looking forward to Sunday now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I watched the first series a few years ago, but didn't keep up with it.

Watch In the Loop after you've watched The Thick of It in its entirety and whenever you are in the mood to enjoy both fine comedy and possibly the most depressing commentary on the invasion of Iraq ever put to film.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 3, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dancing Peasant posted:

After seeing the preview for the next episode, I re-watched the Inquiry episode of TTOI. I was a bit weary remembering the facts besides Mr. Tick-el dying in the previous episode, but as soon as I saw Pearson corporate-bullshit-speek his way into the inquiry itself I couldn't help but remember why I thought TTOI was amazing.

edit: http://youtu.be/nmE9Bc3F9Ss

Definitely looking forward to Sunday now.

Human router by day, husband/lover/carpenter/flutist by night.

Orange Devil posted:

Watch In the Loop after you've watched The Thick of It in its entirety and whenever you are in the mood to enjoy both fine comedy and possibly the most depressing commentary on the invasion of Iraq ever put to film.

"Climb the mountain of conflict" with Nazi Julie Andrews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJpQk6YAw1s

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mr.capps posted:

Is there some sort of dumb name for the The Thick of It/In the Loop/Veep universe yet?

Nobody knows. Make the drat thread, why dontcha.

This is consistently my favorite thing on television, bar none.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Narcissus1916 posted:

what is wrong with you man, I think literally zero people besides you noticed any of this. You should work for the NSA or something

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, how dare I keep track of the thing the first five episodes all build up to! Seriously though, its basically the whole reason Doyle is pissy towards Meyer for so long.

the second season does a great job of updating us on the background noise of POTUS though. Really solid stuff.

And I just watched the wedding premiere of season 3. Christ on crutches this show makes me laugh. Hard. The tiny coffin is so drat great.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish they'd write out Erickson, his character sucks and doesn't do anything funny or interesting. I don't even really understand what he's doing as part of the team.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

In the Loop is almost entirely unrelated. It just has Malcolm Tucker in it. Watch it after all of TToI.

To be honest, TToI only gets really good after the pedophile leaves the show.

But the best episode was the one where Hugh has his big speech about schools for special children.

Anyway, In the Loop can be watched whenever but I recommend watching it first and then doing TToI. Its not part of the same "universe" as TToI (and I don't think that either is in the same universe as Veep) so you won't get spoilered on anything despite it being made halfway through with a lot of the same characters. Be careful though there was a hugely important set of episodes called the "specials" that isn't technically a season but does take place between two of the seasons. If you don't watch them you'll have a whole bunch of characters who you never met running around and might get a little confused. Also, they are very funny in their own right so there is that too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress yeah, don't forget the specials.

Exact episode order is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Thick_of_It_episodes

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pron on VHS posted:

I wish they'd write out Erickson, his character sucks and doesn't do anything funny or interesting. I don't even really understand what he's doing as part of the team.
He seemed really competent and good when he was the enemy

then he joined Selina's team and stopped being used for anything

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

He seemed really competent and good when he was the enemy

then he joined Selina's team and stopped being used for anything

The only people who haven't been ruined by joining Team Meyer seem to be Sue and Kent, maybe Ben.

- Dan lost his killer edge because Team Meyer isn't nearly as evil as he could be
- Amy lost her mind because Team Meyer isn't nearly as noble and rational as she wants to be
- Mike has lost any morals or ability to give a gently caress about anything other than yukking it up and trying to enjoy his marriage, dog, and boat
- Jonah, well, is Jonah

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I love they try to keep Tom in the dark early in the season and at this point, Ben just says "gently caress it."

"You've been blooded now"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Gary Walsh is a 12 year old boy trapped in the body of a 12 year old girl. :lol:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that wasn't all that funny or interesting until the last five minutes. Disappointment was highest when the Jonad file had only like one really funny zinger. Guyscraper.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Man that episode felt way too short. I would've gone for at least an hour with all of this

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Episode kind of a dud for me so far. Mike is demonstrating the voice memo thing right now. So far the only laugh for me has been the crouch cream comment

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That list of nicknames for Jonah was mind numbingly brilliant.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

He's apparently scapegoating hard for the administration, so you might get your wish!

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

ultramiraculous posted:

He's apparently scapegoating hard for the administration, so you might get your wish!

Nah he's just getting snowballed.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird coming to the show so late - and matching up my own experiences with the episodes I remember people raving about.

I thought the season 3 premiere was top tier absurdity, the running gag about the phone bowl had me nearly in tears. Combine that with the visual gag of the tiny coffin... that might be a series best for me.

But the "abortion" episode was a total misfire for me, since I didn't buy that Selina could easily re-triangulate her position on the issue. If she ran for President and was vetted as the Veep, she'd already "know" her basic position on the issue.

Everything might be worth it for the Ryantology subplot though. So great to see a comedy realizing the value in mixing up its characters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
J-Rock, Jizzy Gallespi, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylian, Tinker Balls, Wadzilla, One Erection, the Pointless Giant, the 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s nutsacks, Transgenderformer, Scrotum Pole, the Cloud Botherer, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Teenage Mutant Ninja rear end in a top hat, Benedict Cuminhisownhand, supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Guysscraper, Pubaka

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

PostNouveau posted:

J-Rock, Jizzy Gallespi, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylian, Tinker Balls, Wadzilla, One Erection, the Pointless Giant, the 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s nutsacks, Transgenderformer, Scrotum Pole, the Cloud Botherer, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Teenage Mutant Ninja rear end in a top hat, Benedict Cuminhisownhand, supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Guysscraper, Pubaka

I somehow missed 'the Cloud Botherer" in the initial viewing, and now it's my favorite one.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

"Please raise your right hand ... Your right hand"
"Sorry, I was practicing in the mirror"

Didn't care much for this guy when he first joined, but god drat :lol:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought the whole episode was pretty brilliant it just keeps getting brilliant towards the end where like they make the daughter break up with her boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God I was terrified for Gary. Also poor, poor Catherine .

• Locked thread