Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ego-bot posted:

I really wish this show was an hour. I think the cast has gotten too large, which is ashamed because they're all great. If I had to cut anyone, it would be Jonah and Gary.

Jonah could go no problem, but Gary is the prefect real staffer for someone.

Dazerbeams posted:

Wasn't Selina confessing to Ben about how he was being replaced by Karen in the earlier scene? I felt bad for Ben until he started snoring in the middle of her "let him down gently" speech. Karen will probably threaten everyone's sense of competency and they'll try to sabotage her.

I don't think Ben would care given he wanted to retire last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dazerbeams posted:

That and he offered his head for the chopping block before it was decided that Dan should get the axe. Its just sad to be replaced because you're not cutting it anymore.

I was sure he only offered to stay to help Selena get up and running, it's done now.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Stephen Fry needs to play the British PM who confuses Selina for an episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Every player needs to roll with a crew, Ben. That's the truth from the streets.

I really like Hugh Laurie's acting but Tom James seems so goddamn out of place in the Meyer camp. They really made some progress fleshing out his character more last night, but I keep expecting something from him that I can't quite put my finger on. Just look at the way the staff veterans freak out when James announces a controversial position in private, then contrast it when James is finally made aware of how truly awful the leak really was. Is the insanity and incompetence he's been surrounded by going to consume him? Is he going to pull off some kind of coup and take over the ticket? I'm not sure how he'd do that, I think it'd be unprecedented in American politics. Is he going to run far away from this crap, retire from politics again?

I really liked how the episode was bookended by intruders in the White House. All the characters reacting differently to the threat of an armed gunman was hilarious, but Bill Ericsson was the best. "They're just going to keep coming and coming until they kill us all."

I"m pretty sure James has killed people or something really horrible that if it comes out will destroy everything.

Or maybe they can change the cast to follow Tom James around as the Veep.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mr.capps posted:

I'm thinking this. The Thick of It had the switch from Hugh to Nicola, and I get the feeling Tom might be set up to be in the Nicola position, but much much more competent than she ever was, but unlike Hugh they are going to keep Selina around.

As much as I'd like this, I'm pretty sure Laurie has said he won't commit to living in the states again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

StoneOfShame posted:

Is this right? This is may be because I'm a Brit and he might not really be a big deal in the States bit when Hugh Laurie first appeared I viewed it as a massive casting coup that they wouldn't use for just a few episodes. As I said though my opinion could be ridiculously coloured because he's a British treasure.

His wife and kids moved back to the UK because they hated it here, so he won't do a full time US show again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Zombie Raptor posted:

Gonna miss this show (assuming it ends when Armando Iannucci leaves--if it doesn't, I may or may not continue watching; undecided), but looking forward to the Soviet Union project Iannucci is going to work on, The Death Of Stalin.

He's going to do Russian politics, that's going to be loving amazing. End Veep today and get to work on that, will we finally get a moment that equals a Yes, Minister moment about various Soviet offices.

• Locked thread