Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Kent: "It's like something out of a political cartoon."
Ben: "What'ya mean? Not-funny?"

Gonna miss this show (assuming it ends when Armando Iannucci leaves--if it doesn't, I may or may not continue watching; undecided), but looking forward to the Soviet Union project Iannucci is going to work on, The Death Of Stalin.

Also, not sure how anyone can accurately compare modern political satires like Iannucci's to anything else other than the man's own work. We've had some great stuff throughout history, but when it comes to realistic nuance and the realistic absurdity that is somewhat inherent in politics, I personally can't think of an apt comparison to other writers/producers/directors, etc. working today.

Feel free to commence y'er bitchin' about how I suck now.

Edit: Sam Richardson's performance as Richard Splett is a wonderful addition to the show, and I wish he'd been around longer than, like, what? A season and a half? Fantastic character.

Edit 2: Same goes for Laurie's Tom James. Even though I find the character to be fairly average for politicians of Iannucci's world (and arguably, the real world as well) of snakes, both competent and incompetent, Laurie is a fantastic addition, and his character added a unique personality to the show. That's one thing I like about Armando's work--even if all the politicians are, in essence, either an incompetent or vicious variety of poo poo-heel, they all seem like a different variety of lovely footwear. Well-written lovely boots.

"gently caress you, America." - President Selina Meyer

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Fetus Tree posted:

jw, are you going to decide before the episodes without him actually air?

Provided they do air Iannucci-less episodes, nope. Gonna give it a chance. It's not at all impossible for them to pull it off well w/o him, I am just a big fan of his work.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Illinois Smith posted:

They've already announced there's gonna be a fifth season.

I 'spose we'll see, then. I'm sorta bad with keeping up with series renewals, to be honest. Will we be able to sense his absence in a way that detracts from the show? If not, if it still feels like Veep, then awesome. Ya' know?

Edit: I just know how many show/film projects tend to fall apart when the main showrunner hands it off to others. It's not a guaranteed that the project will go to poo poo, but it's never exactly a surprise if/when it does.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 1, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Narcissus1916 posted:

...so many Jonahs.

How many Richard Spletts are there? :allears:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Without looking too far into it, was this episode heavily improvised? If not, it still successfully carries that feeling, and I like it. Still relatively early in the episode, however.

Edit: Side note: It's nice to see Cheryl from The Wire (Melanie Nicholls-King) as Ms. Bennett.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 8, 2015

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
R.I.P. Lawrence from Office Space/Ray Roy Strickland's political career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Good finale. I would vote for Hugh Laurie a million times. It'd already be technically illegal since he's British, so that makes the voter fraud okay, right?

Also, yay, the title's gonna make sense again. We'll see how it goes next season. After some consideration, I also think there's a decent chance that there won't be a huge, majorly noticeable difference without Ianucci. Like I said, we'll see.

• Locked thread