Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Brooklyn 99, a poo poo comedy show, gets 500x the goon attention Veep does.

Maybe it does, but most comedies I follow get poo poo for attention here. Veep and LWT are the only things that keep me coming to TVIV right now, not that I don't watch other shows but gently caress me if I'm going to look at those threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cingulate posted:

I like Veep but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor. I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.

Still, this and Silicon Valley are the only comedy shows I watch.

TTOI always seemed more true to reality, or at least what I can understand about the reality of British politics from what people tell me. Not that Veep isn't, but it describes a situation we've only gotten sort of close to in America.

I wonder if Veep will look even better if/when Hillary wins, and I have to sit through four to eight years of the media pumping out a mixture of mildly sexist, blatantly sexist, and covertly sexist poo poo about the President the same way they've done for Obama with racism.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Well yeah, but for me that's mostly because it isn't about Malcolm.

No Malcom analogue is a bit of a downer, but I feel they managed to pepper in plenty of lines that would have gone to him so I'm content with that angle.

Cliff Racer posted:

TTOI always seemed more true to reality to me too, but that might be because I know less of the culture surrounding British politics than that which surrounds American politics. I also feel like it could be Ianucci's own political biases seeping through (which I felt happened on TTOI too, occasionally.) Specifically with regards to both the Tickel data leak and the data leak shown in this episode. In reality noone gives a gently caress about other people's personal privacy- these would both be non-issues. Same with the stuff that occurred during the climax of season 1 on Veep. Nobody gave a drat about that stuff for one thing and for another there's no way in hell a senator would open up an investigation into his own party's vice president two years out from an election unless there was actual serious criminal wrongdoing going on. And no, Dan lying about which way votes will turn out does not count. But then I also feel this may be HBO's fault, that they are pushing for there to be scandals and high stakes and other HBO poo poo when I always felt that TTOI worked best and was most truthful when it was politicians being forced to interact with the public.

I also feel that it might be a big mistake to have not really introduced any Republican analogues at all (aside from one scene with a couple of stereotypically evil hicks,) sure they might not be favored to win but if they do your entire cast has basically lost their jobs and you are SooL.

I don't know how much HBO meddled, they've always seemed content to let shows be themselves for the most part. That said, I think it does focus too much on big scandals and not enough on scandals that the team causes and not politicians loving up themselves. JLD, despite her flaws, usually seems strong and relatively put-together if not for her cadre of total idiots and sociopaths. In TTOI, the politicians are better targets, and while their team get into some Office shenanigans it tends to be that the politicians gently caress themselves over most of all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

No, I'm not talking about an American Malcolm analogue, I'm saying "Veep doesn't have Malcolm Tucker, so for me TTOI is more fun to watch because he's the main character". The rest of both casts and the writing is about equal for me but I recently rewatched the series for the first time and was just marveling at Peter Capaldi in every scene, even when he's just making weird faces at people.

Yeah, he's really drat good at giving people nasty looks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

You're insane.

Imagine Veep but it takes place in London, Mike is good at his job and being played by the new Doctor Who guy who's channeling Satan himself and everyone else is terrified of him. Oh, and the rest of the characters are mostly ministers and their staff so it's a bit smaller in scale.

Funny, I always saw Ben as closer to Malcolm.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

I only mentioned Mike because they (at least by title) have the same job.

Ha, I suppose that's true. Malcolm's job always seemed to be more the guy who just yelled at whoever needed yelling at, almost forgot he's technically there to handle the press.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aliquid posted:

I love this show. Weird twist this episode, Selena on coke? And I didn't see much reaction from the rest of the cast; it must be a whole-season-arc thing.

I actually got the same feeling. She took a sudden trip to the bathroom that ended immediately, she wasn't hungry despite not eating for quite some time, she did the classic rub-nose-and-sniff thing, she was hyperactive to the point of mania... by the time she was getting off the plane her eye was twitching and she was snippy with Catherine in a way that's remarkably cold even for Selena's usual treatment of her. It's all pretty classic signs.

Also Diedrich Bader was loving hilarious last night.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Karen was driving me loving crazy. Glad she didn't stick around, Amy's blow-up was so appropriate.

Really excited to see Hugh Laurie show up! It's odd to see him play someone truly likeable.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Terminally Bored posted:

Best lines for me:
"Sir, everything I have done was for you, and that goes double for fondling Jonah."
"Well you take as many of the fifteen minutes available as you need to make this decision."

The look on Selina's face when she learns Jonah was being molested.

It's not really a line but it landed better for me than anything else.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pentyne posted:

Are we supposed to think her fiancee is actually gay? They were as awkward as possible in their interactions.

I didn't really pick up on that. I assumed they were awkward because Catherine's awkward and their situation makes it all the more difficult.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Selina is quickly finding James insufferable is hilarious. Interesting that his PR gamble actually hosed up her ability to govern, I wonder if he's going to wind up being just as incompetent as everyone else, simply more charming.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sakarja posted:

I hope Kent will continue the tradition and melt down now that he's the campaign manager.

Crazy Amy is indeed amazing and Richard Splat has really grown on me.

But the highlight of the episode was definitely Selina's "Yeah, that'll win me the election: Nice shot of my beave".

I'd put it up against "I hope your vagina falls off!"

Veep really goes to show that crotch humor is funny no matter what the crotch is equipped with.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pentyne posted:

Yeah, a bunch of tall women with short hair who look like Jonah were the other victims.

Excuse me, a bunch of other tall women with short hair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Every player needs to roll with a crew, Ben. That's the truth from the streets.

I really like Hugh Laurie's acting but Tom James seems so goddamn out of place in the Meyer camp. They really made some progress fleshing out his character more last night, but I keep expecting something from him that I can't quite put my finger on. Just look at the way the staff veterans freak out when James announces a controversial position in private, then contrast it when James is finally made aware of how truly awful the leak really was. Is the insanity and incompetence he's been surrounded by going to consume him? Is he going to pull off some kind of coup and take over the ticket? I'm not sure how he'd do that, I think it'd be unprecedented in American politics. Is he going to run far away from this crap, retire from politics again?

I really liked how the episode was bookended by intruders in the White House. All the characters reacting differently to the threat of an armed gunman was hilarious, but Bill Ericsson was the best. "They're just going to keep coming and coming until they kill us all."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Tom freaking right the gently caress out was great. This is exactly what I wanted to see from him.

Also this next episodes has both frightening and hilarious implications if it's half as good as that episode of TTOI. Maybe this is how the ticket gets hosed with.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PostNouveau posted:

J-Rock, Jizzy Gallespi, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Gaylian, Tinker Balls, Wadzilla, One Erection, the Pointless Giant, the 60 Foot Virgin, Jimpanzee, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s nutsacks, Transgenderformer, Scrotum Pole, the Cloud Botherer, 12 Years a Slave to Jerking Off, Teenage Mutant Ninja rear end in a top hat, Benedict Cuminhisownhand, supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Guysscraper, Pubaka

I loving loved this part.

Also Dan desperately flailing to get out of this mess in the cuts.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mr.capps posted:

No he doesn't.

He does in threads that aren't so goddamn trollable.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Is ... Is this actually a real thing? Can a real-life presidential election end in a loving tie?

I really need more of that scene where Jonah tries out his best standup material and bombs horribly.

It is certainly possible. How this would actually work is, hypothetically, outlined well by this episode. How it would work in reality is anyone's guess, as it has literally never happened.

Well, it sort of happened in 1800, but that was before either the Twelfth or Twentieth Amendments were ratified.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 15, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Henchman of Santa posted:

He came off to me like he knew.

I'd buy that he knew it could happen but this is such an absurd scenario that betting on it would be certifiably insane.

I mean, he'd clearly have better odds on the assumption Selina would get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fetus Tree posted:

There has never been an ounce of doubt in my mind that Selena was a democrat :shrug:

Yeah it always seemed pretty obvious based on context. The fact that partisanship is not a big deal with regards to the humor is still really good, though. It's not a show about politics as much as it is one about politicians.

• Locked thread