Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like Veep but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor. I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.

Still, this and Silicon Valley are the only comedy shows I watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To me it's also the mockumentary style that really works for it. VEEP feels like Shakespearean theatre compared to TTOI.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

so what is TTOI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thick_of_It

If you like the nastier parts of VEEP, you'll love this one.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Amy's rant was kind of bizarre considering Selina's foreign policy achievements in this season. Then again, I'm never sure if the show wants us to think that Selina is a competent politician that is kept down by her terrible personality and terrible choice of assistants, or an incompentent politican that somehow manages to stay in power despite her terrible personality and terrible choice of assistants.
The point of VEEP is that the people in power are not in power because they're competent, but because they really want to, or at least don't duck in time when it falls down as somebody higher up is gutting themselves.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah theres a ton of historic precedent that prohibition and the war on drugs has been pretty wildly successful, so Tom's notions are pretty stupid.
Surely succesful in the sense that the enemy has been deeply wounded.

Of course, the enemy is not "drugs".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Its totally justified given the societal toll widespread drug use has on a culture.
... such as all the incarcerated young black men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In principle, if it was somehow established that draconian "owning heroin = capital punishment" laws like in Indonesia actually significantly reduced usage of hard drugs and drug-associated crime, I'd defend them on utilitarian, against libertarian, grounds.

But will anybody dare to claim they do that?

• Locked thread