Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all, finally checking out Veep and watching season 1.

I'm kinda confused as poo poo about the wheelings and dealings and my OCDish mind is distracting me from enjoying the show fully.

So in episode 3, the gang decides to go with Farnham on the clean air bill - but both the oil lobby and Sen. Doyle are pissed. So Dan makes a play and satisfies the oil lobby guy Purcell by promising him a back channel to the Veep and then bluffs his way into getting Sen. Doyle to sign off on Farnham.

Cut to episode 4, Chung, and Purcell is apparently on the task force too? And Doyle is pissed? And there's references to Dan just putting Purcell on the task force too? The hell?

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Right, I know I should just laugh and let it slide. Its weird though how even in the seventh episode (haven't watched the S1 finale yet) there's several repeated references to there being two oilmen on the commission. I assume one was Farnham and then the white house demanded another, or some such poo poo?

I guess it doesn't matter since the bill went down in flames anyway.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 25, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched Helsinki.

Axis of Dick.

Carry on.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo, season 2 is so much better than the first. Its almost like a different show entirely. I felt like the cast clicked very early, but that first season feels almost airless compares to all the insanity that season 2 brought.

Bless this HBO Now, can't wait to continue binging!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still walking my way through veep, but shows about Presidents are generally pretty decent.

TV struggles with good campaign stories, though. Much as we laud Aaron Sorkin's West Wing, Barlett's re-election campaign is a fizzy fart of a storyline. The Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda variant in its latter years is decent, but not exactly memorable.

If Veep can land a campaign season, I'll be super happy. Just wrapping up season 2 now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The first season had a bunch of small errors about how legislation gets passed that bugged the hell out of the nerdy policy-side of my brain.

Veep nails the general culture of DC so drat well, though. I went to college at a preppy east coast university, and I knew so many Jonahs.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Purcell is still in the show? The weird season one fuckery where all of a sudden there was two oil guys on the clean air act (soon defeated) still rankles. About to finish season 2 tonight! Woo!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Once I get caught up with Veep, I'll probably take a crack at The Thick of It again - where should I fit In the Loop in my viewing order?

I watched the first series a few years ago, but didn't keep up with it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, how dare I keep track of the thing the first five episodes all build up to! Seriously though, its basically the whole reason Doyle is pissy towards Meyer for so long.

the second season does a great job of updating us on the background noise of POTUS though. Really solid stuff.

And I just watched the wedding premiere of season 3. Christ on crutches this show makes me laugh. Hard. The tiny coffin is so drat great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird coming to the show so late - and matching up my own experiences with the episodes I remember people raving about.

I thought the season 3 premiere was top tier absurdity, the running gag about the phone bowl had me nearly in tears. Combine that with the visual gag of the tiny coffin... that might be a series best for me.

But the "abortion" episode was a total misfire for me, since I didn't buy that Selina could easily re-triangulate her position on the issue. If she ran for President and was vetted as the Veep, she'd already "know" her basic position on the issue.

Everything might be worth it for the Ryantology subplot though. So great to see a comedy realizing the value in mixing up its characters.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How much of the show is improvised?

Season 3 both feels much looser with its comments but much more tightly paced, somehow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is like showing up with year old news, but I just watched the debate episode in season three. Literally crying with laughter.

The riff on "Repel" is great, but somehow topped by that epic floundering about holes. So good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just finished season three. What in the actual gently caress.

No idea what to make of the last two episodes - some great moments (squeaky shoes) but I really felt the narrative whiplash and not in a good way.

So Selina does well in the debate (they talk about her coming in 2nd) and then she's in freefall because Thornhill won Iowa? And then their campaign disintegrates in like five minutes... only to rise back up due to the POTUS situation?

I get what they were going for, and it all makes sense if I step back and think about it. But the pacing felt really strange and off-putting.

Ah well, all worth it for the Gary/Selena bathroom bit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Borgen also has a clear parallel with absolutely every political party.

It'd be like if Veep started talking about the Patriots and Great Society parties.

Also, Borgen's loving amazing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, I just watched the Tehran episode. Granted I'm watching the show in a bit of a post-work stupor, but when the heck did she win her party's nomination for president? I thought we ended season three with her messing up the first few days of her presidency with Chung still running against her.

Also, wasn't it just an episode or two ago that Erickson mentioned that Thornwill was quitting?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Lycus posted:

They clearly felt that they did enough episodes about the primary, basically.

Ah, okay. Yeah its just weird to not have a moment or two where they explained how Selina beat out Chung for the nomination.

I guess looking the part of the president is more than enough to carry her to "victory", and I wouldn't trade a single moment out in the first four episodes for anything. So much goodness.

Just strange to end season three with "Chung won New hampshire" and then just totally ignore all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm almost caught up and the show really does not handle long arcs well at all. The fact that Selina won the primary basically offscreen (and the general election stuff is almost as won) still rankles.

So much potentially great material wasted.

• Locked thread