Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about this coming back and also about POTUS resigning during the last finale.

Also didn't look at any casting news, I love when Patton Oswalt just shows up in my favorite TV shows. This is gonna be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's funny how when Selina talked poo poo about her daughter this episode I thought it was funny and went "haha, she's a horrible mom" but as soon as she started tearing into Gary I was like OH NO STOP THIS RIGHT NOW YOU'LL DESTROY HIM. And then he actually stood up for himself!

That was even better than the two of them going nuts in a random bathroom last season.

Also Jonah actually getting a flunky who thinks he's the coolest guy in the West Wing is gonna lead to great things.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This season's gonna be great and I hope it all culminates in a big anti-bullying hearing instigated by Dan, like the end of The Thick Of It. Like, he'll leak something about Patton constantly grabbing Jonah's balls and that leads to an investigation.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

precision posted:

I would say Brooklyn 9-9 and Veep have a lot in common, though Veep is more "adult" and also funnier. I do like Brooklyn 9-9 a lot though, it's pretty far from a "poo poo" comedy. :\
Yeah, B99 is a good ensemble comedy, I just like Veep's ensemble about a billion times more and the writing has been next-level sharp since the start of season three. The whole show is just firing on all cylinders right now, I just hope they can keep this quality up when Iannucci leaves after this season.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Next season's for sure, HBO probably wants to see how the show does without Iannucci too.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I think that was supposed to be about Bored to Death, which I now discovered is a show that's literally called that, and not a description of one.
BTD was cancelled in 2011.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I'd rather have an episode of TTOI than a season of Veep.
Well yeah, but for me that's mostly because it isn't about Malcolm.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 28, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

No Malcom analogue is a bit of a downer, but I feel they managed to pepper in plenty of lines that would have gone to him so I'm content with that angle.
No, I'm not talking about an American Malcolm analogue, I'm saying "Veep doesn't have Malcolm Tucker, so for me TTOI is more fun to watch because he's the main character". The rest of both casts and the writing is about equal for me but I recently rewatched the series for the first time and was just marveling at Peter Capaldi in every scene, even when he's just making weird faces at people.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 29, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

If I had to cut anyone, it would be Jonah and Gary.
You're insane.

Fetus Tree posted:

so what is TTOI
Imagine Veep but it takes place in London, Mike is good at his job and being played by the new Doctor Who guy who's channeling Satan himself and everyone else is terrified of him. Oh, and the rest of the characters are mostly ministers and their staff so it's a bit smaller in scale.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I only mentioned Mike because they (at least by title) have the same job.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Aliquid posted:

Weird twist this episode, Selena on coke?
I thought she was just super excited because the trip was going so well and it was a small break from everyone around her constantly loving up.

PostNouveau posted:

Amy was on fire this episode.
the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing and the freakish middle hand is punchig me repeatedly in the tits

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 4, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Watching the first scene again and yeah, it really seems to imply she's on something.

Her reaction to Catherine's engagement seemed perfectly normal for her though, just immediately making it about herself. "You're not getting engaged, I'm only 48!"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

So Ben didn't get fired because he fell asleep when while she was firing him last episode?

Amy's meltdown was fantastic. This is what frustration looks like.

Kinda disappointed both Lennon Parham and Patton Oswalt seem to be gone already though.

How is Bill Erickson not her new campaign manager, I thought that's what he does?

Kleptobot posted:

This is going to end with Hugh Laurie as POTUS and Selina back to VP, right?

This would be kind of obvious but yeah, probably. Or maybe Pierce is gonna rise to power and end up as POTUS somehow because "you can make inept work". Who knows.

Also holy poo poo, HUGH LAURIE IS ON VEEP NOW I LOVE THIS SHOW

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 11, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Followed by her going YAY BEN, WAY TO WORK THAT SEXUAL ABUSE

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

"Jesus loving Christ, you all look like me!" - brilliant.
This was amazing, I totally didn't pick up on it (this show doesn't have a ton of visual gags anyway) until he said it. Then I had to pause the show and laugh for a while.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 18, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

words ... don't kill people ... unlike guns ... which can ... and did ... which is bad

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I like the little reminders that, no matter how much Mike gets poo poo on or how depressed he gets he still has by far the healthiest home life of any character on the show.

Also the second-to-last episode title this season is Testimony so I guess the data breach is gonna blow the gently caress up next week.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

StoneOfShame posted:

Ok serious question with regards to this and maybe you know more than I, so if you do I'm being naïve and just correct me but aren't these sort of seasons filmed over a very short amount of time so if he wanted to he could perhaps only be in the US for a couple of weeks to film a while season. Again, as I said correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
JLD said it takes about 5-6 days to shoot an episode, so about 2 months for the whole season. So yeah, it definitely takes less time to shoot a season of this than something like House which was both longer and had more than twice as many episodes in a season. Even so, there's still interviews and all kinds of appearances on other shows to promote the thing once they're done shooting. I think Laurie said in an interview that with House he basically only saw his family for 3 months or so every year.

Iannucci's leaving the show and going back to the UK after this season too but he's also a producer / director / writer, which makes it more of a full-time gig.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy poo poo, season 2 is so much better than the first. Its almost like a different show entirely. I felt like the cast clicked very early, but that first season feels almost airless compares to all the insanity that season 2 brought.
Yeah, for the first three seasons the show just got better and better each year and now it's is just firing on all cylinders. Wait 'till you get to Ryantology.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

gently caress yeah, they're really doing the TTOI Inquiry episode next week! And then the week after that is the election finale. I'm ridiculously excited.

PostNouveau posted:

Hollllllllly poo poo Gary speaking for the president was hilarious.
Yeah, Gary making Pierce the French ambassador is gonna be the tip of the iceberg made of poo poo they're about to crash into.

precision posted:

"TV show about the President" never works.
I mean, I agree that Season 3 was probably more enjoyable because campaigning gave the show a chance to drop the cast into a bunch of different situations and let us watch them react to it, but apart from that variety I think this season is pretty loving far from "doesn't work" status.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 1, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Zombie Raptor posted:

Provided they do air Iannucci-less episodes, nope.
They've already announced there's gonna be a fifth season.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

All I know is that if t rhey 're going with the same improvisational format next week, Matt Walsh is gonna own that episode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Well the other side of that theory is junk too though I recall Hugh Laurie explicitly not wanting to move to US to film anything.
Well, as mentioned last week this isn't f'n House, they film a season in rougly three months instead of 9-10. So there'd be no need for him to move anywhere.

Still pretty sure Selina's gonna be back at her old job by Sunday.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is ... Is this actually a real thing? Can a real-life presidential election end in a loving tie?

I really need more of that scene where Jonah tries out his best standup material and bombs horribly.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

haha it's an even bigger clusterfuck than I had assumed after watching the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Vegetable posted:

and there's too much of Jonah. He works better as an unavoidable punchline, but he and sidekick get so much screentime his baffling fuckupitude becomes less shocking and amusing.
This is insane. Jonah & Richard were probably my favorite part of the season and the reveal of all the molested ladies looking like Jonah was loving masterful.

• Locked thread