Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
VEEP Season 4:

"noise-shaped air"

"teaching a potato to whistle"

"it smells like puerto rico in here"

Goddamn I missed this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've said it before but I badly need the cast of House of Cards to do a sketch where they talk like the people in VEEP, and vice versa.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Clamknuckle posted:

Wasn't Labor day when she thought she was pregnant and Gary did something with garbage to get her pregnancy test?

I don't think so, I thought the scene was supposed to be implying that her and Gary hooked up on Labor Day or something. There was a scene in season 2 or 3 where she was drunk and almost made out on him.

Solid episode, if not the funniest. I think they're just ramping these plotlines up, I can't wait to see how Jonah and Patton Oswalt's plot explodes. Jonah obviously thinks Oswalt is gay for him and Jonah being Jonah, that will blow up spectacularly because I'm like 99% sure he (Patton's character) isn't gay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't think this exactly fits with it being something that only Gary would be willing to do.

Ah, fair point. I guess after the Kent/Sue hooking up my mind is willing to accept that any given two people on the show could hook up.

And can we get some love for the new intro? I hope that, somehow, for season 5 she is back to being the titular Veep, or that they change the show's name to "Pee".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say Brooklyn 9-9 and Veep have a lot in common, though Veep is more "adult" and also funnier. I do like Brooklyn 9-9 a lot though, it's pretty far from a "poo poo" comedy. :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bored to Death was great and it's a miracle HBO gave it 3 seasons because nobody watched it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dazerbeams posted:

Do we know the viewer numbers on Veep? Because this thread isn't terribly active and thats how I gauge show popularity.

Pretty sure a lot of people watch it, but I don't think "goons" are the demo it resonates the most with. See also: Rectify, Bates Motel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Superficially, Dan is easily the closest Veep has to Malcolm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"We'll talk about the molestation later" "What?"

Or whatever the line was. Great episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

The VP reading the speech and trying to make it seem like it wasn't from the perspective of a woman was absolute gold.

"My... girlfriends... I mean boyfriends... girlfriends and boyfriends..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As long as Kent never gets fired, because he owns. He might be too competent for this administration, actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whatever happened to Selina's boyfriend, the guy that played the CEO on The Office?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo HUGH LAURIE :supaburn: :wooper: :dance: :neckbeard:

Also cracked the gently caress up at Chung pronouncing "hero-ism"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That episode was completely loving on point. drat. Crazy Amy is my new favorite character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't really think of it until now but the way they freaked out over Tom wanting to legalize drugs made it super clear that Meyer isn't supposed to be a very good or moral liberal, she's just a less homicidal and competent Frank Underwood.

I mean when half the country has some form of legal weed it shouldn't be a big deal for a Democrat to say it's a good thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spoeank posted:

Legalized marijuana is a bit different from being able to pick up smack at Wal-Mart, though.

Well yes. If Kent had been like "Weed? Yeah sure, whatever" and then Tom said "No, I mean literally all drugs" and Ben had been like "Even LSD? Christ, I'll never sleep again!" then I would have understood it a lot better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who thinks the War on Drugs actually has anything to do with drugs is more politically blind than anyone on this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there were more good television people would do less drugs. Well, hard drugs anyway. Alcohol and weed only enhance good TV.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm all for legalizing every drug in theory, but in practice I don't really trust American college students with the ability to get powerful psychedelics at Walgreens. Things like LSD would have to be gently legalized somehow, because there is a vast ocean of difference between marijuana or alcohol or even opiates and LSD.

In a perfect world, it would just lead to lots of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9yew9JEu4

She's just so happy. :)

e: "Everything is in color!" :aaa:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Air is lava! posted:

Legalizing pot is alright. But does anyone actually argue that crystal meth should be legal?

A large chunk of young people have been on Adderall for the past 10 or 20 years, and that is a more pure amphetamine than crystal meth. If anything, legalizing pure pharmaceutical uppers would destroy the meth industry because meth is awful and nasty. I doubt anyone would say "let's legalize crystal meth" they would just say "let's decriminalize crystal meth and legalize people buying uppers OTC without a scrip".

e: I mean to put things in perspective it makes no sense that you can legally buy a liter of vodka, which would kill you or make you incredibly dangerous/unstable if you drank it all at once, but you can't legally buy a single pill of Adderall, which would just make you more alert and focused for a couple hours.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 28, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25961063

"I want this, but more" is basically why no one takes pro-drug arguments seriously. Alcohol being bad is not an invitation to exacerbate the situation by legalizing more drugs.

Freedom means freedom dude. I want choices when it comes to my inevitable overdose!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New Adventures of Old Christine was pretty successful, but I believe it gets slotted into the "mostly lovely workplace comedy" slot with things like Just Shoot Me. I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode, and yet I somehow also get the feeling I remember exactly what it was like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, for the first three seasons the show just got better and better each year and now it's is just firing on all cylinders. Wait 'till you get to Ryantology.

I think season 3 is the peak. So far season 4 has been great, but just barely shy of the high water mark that was 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"TV show about the President" never works. 1600 Penn was bad, Hail to the Chief was bad, Mr. President was really bad...

The only good one was That's My Bush, which I still miss. :(

e: the animated Bush comedy sucked too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't imagine Ianucci leaving will destroy the show at all. He's set all the players up, it's now one of those ensemble casts where "the show writes itself". It would be impressive if someone managed to truly gently caress it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

He seemed really competent and good when he was the enemy

then he joined Selina's team and stopped being used for anything

The only people who haven't been ruined by joining Team Meyer seem to be Sue and Kent, maybe Ben.

- Dan lost his killer edge because Team Meyer isn't nearly as evil as he could be
- Amy lost her mind because Team Meyer isn't nearly as noble and rational as she wants to be
- Mike has lost any morals or ability to give a gently caress about anything other than yukking it up and trying to enjoy his marriage, dog, and boat
- Jonah, well, is Jonah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cliff Racer posted:

Well that wasn't all that funny or interesting until the last five minutes. Disappointment was highest when the Jonad file had only like one really funny zinger. Guyscraper.

I disagree, I was laughing the whole time.

That said, wish it were a full 2 hour movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There needs to be a special exception to allow the thread title to be the list of Jonah nicknames. I couldn't breathe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

e X posted:

Honestly, the show was already so different from TTOI that I don't think Lanucci departure will impact it that negatively.

All the new showrunner has to do is "not gently caress it up". As I said before, with the way everyone's personalities and rivalries are, the actual dialogue pretty much writes itself. Just keep the plot in decent territory and it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Iannuci is a hack if he's been taking credit for such an easy, effortless show for so many years. gently caress, why even write anything at all. Just lock the actors in a room and yell "ACT!" at them and the words will magically flow from their mouths.

It's my understanding this is how his shows actually work. :cool:

mr.capps posted:

Irish Joe'd again!

That doesn't work as well as taint reaped, doesn't it?

Also, Irish Joe sometimes makes good posts.

• Locked thread