Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That actually always kind of bugged me about the Arkham games. I got hung up on a puzzle early in Asylum because the intended solution would've been lethal... if anybody but Batman were doing it. Naturally. It's not exactly well thought-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KieranWalker posted:

That actually always kind of bugged me about the Arkham games. I got hung up on a puzzle early in Asylum because the intended solution would've been lethal... if anybody but Batman were doing it. Naturally. It's not exactly well thought-out.

The one where you have to knock a thug into Joker gas? Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. I mean, you technically knock him into the gas to force open a vent or something, so he's not in the gas for long, but still...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hellioning posted:

The one where you have to knock a thug into Joker gas? Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. I mean, you technically knock him into the gas to force open a vent or something, so he's not in the gas for long, but still...

If you sit there and wait for a while Batman says something like "I can't let that thug die." Maybe a short exposure isn't lethal!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

citybeatnik posted:

I was kind of hoping that the thug in the Santa Hat would turn in to a recurring villain.

Loose Lips does get his own profile, maybe he will show up again.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Batman's voice actor, Roger Craig Smith, previously did an amazing Italian accent as Renaissance Murder Ninja Ezio Auditore.

That's all I've got.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Despite having played through it 3 times (plus all the DLC) and finding it to be a disappointment, watching this LP makes me want to play Origins again. Getting a good combo flowing in the Arkham games (especially City/Origins' engine) is one of my favorite feelings in gaming. Enigma is hilarious in the radio tower sequences. He just can't help but hate Batman for taking the easy option instead of playing his stupid games. Not because he can't stand a cheater, but because he's mad at himself for not thinking of that first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Smith certainly does a good job here as Bale-batman, anyway.

Hmmm, Batman's extreme dickery here would work if he was slightly less of an rear end in a top hat in the later games. I find it odd that I am annoyed with the characterization in this game, not from how it is actually done in this game, but rather how it is hindered by games already made.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That loving bridge. I swear they put it in there just to force you to use fast travel. Admittedly, it makes a later scene that much sweeter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm I weird little game apologist most of the time and even I can't really defend this one. I mean, the bosses are pretty interesting for the most part, if they don't autotrack onto you or make you stand there doing nothing like Killer Croc did. [mash A to not get bit and the helicopter respectively]

But even I hate the smaller niggling details. I felt this way in City too but you never really felt like you were moving that much faster with the grapnel boost. I mean sure, not using it would obviously show how much slower you were moving but I never really felt like I was shaving a lot of time off by using it. This is also the first game I can remember crashing on my 360 that wasn't caused by me bumping into the thing.

Although I do think that the detective mode for this game is way better. It's crazy advanced but I still like it because it's pretty interesting to watch.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Didn't City have a line about the grapnel boost not being ready for safe use or something like that? Why does Batman have access to it in this game? I mean, I get it from a gameplay standpoint but in-universe he shouldn't have it. Such a minor thing but it bugs me.

I may be misremembering the line though. :v:

Also, glad to see you back at it, Scruffy!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, the grapnel boost in City is supposed to be a prototype, and it's a bit silly for it to be in this game with no explanation. But yeah, not having it would have made the game less fun to play than City, so they probably just went "eh, gently caress it, it's a video game" and threw it in.

One thing I'm noticing in these videos is the brief stutter whenever the game autosaves. That happened to me on the PC version as well (and also in City until I reinstalled) and it's really annoying when it happens during a fight.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe origins was suppose to be a sequel? Or more likely it is just an add-on class of game. You know, the games that are basically Game v2.5 that take that last game and just adds a new story with all the gameplay features still right there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Then it makes sense why Ezio is in this game.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mr Confetti posted:

Didn't City have a line about the grapnel boost not being ready for safe use or something like that? Why does Batman have access to it in this game? I mean, I get it from a gameplay standpoint but in-universe he shouldn't have it. Such a minor thing but it bugs me.

I may be misremembering the line though. :v:

Also, glad to see you back at it, Scruffy!

Clearly at the end of the game Batman breaks his arm using the grapnel boost, nearly dies, and this is why it takes two games for it to become a thing again.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Doc Morbid posted:

One thing I'm noticing in these videos is the brief stutter whenever the game autosaves. That happened to me on the PC version as well (and also in City until I reinstalled) and it's really annoying when it happens during a fight.

I'm not sure if it's my computer dying or if it's the game being poorly optimized as well as buggy. I consider both of these possibilities.

Yeah, the grapnel accelerator is kinda strange. I understand why it's in the game but you didn't get it from Arkham City to start with because Lucius Fox said it wasn't ready for deployment or something. It's just presented in this game with no explanation aside from THIS WILL MAKE CROSSING THE BRIDGE FASTER. The bridge crossing in mandatory at the start, by the way, so maybe it's intentional to say HERE'S HOW TO TRAVEL. As far as making you faster, it's only faster if you know how to glide well which is not something that lends itself to new players picking up on immediately.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 21, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I got the same thing on the PS4, it probably isn't your computer.

JakeyZydrate
Dec 26, 2012
So I grew in a town called Burnley and seeing it in a Batman game is strange, and in all honestly from what I remember Arkham's Burnley seems like the nicer of the two. :gonk:

No Enigma though, pretty sure of that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Holy poo poo I did not know a 61 hit combo was even possible.

dscruffy1 posted:

Yeah, the grapnel accelerator is kinda strange. I understand why it's in the game but you didn't get it from Arkham City to start with because Lucius Fox said it wasn't ready for deployment or something. It's just presented in this game with no explanation aside from THIS WILL MAKE CROSSING THE BRIDGE FASTER.
They're two different items. It's called Grapnel Accelerator in Origins, and Grapnel Boost in City. The Boost is also somewhat faster according to the series' wiki, so I guess it's an iterative thing. Maybe at some point Batman decided the Accelerator was too slow and started replacing it, but it wasn't finished prototyping yet during Arkham City.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're going to lose your poo poo when scruffy gets to the last combat challenge then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hellioning posted:

I don't remember ever doing that. If it's the thug I'm thinking of, you can also "rescue" him the same way as other civilians, then immediately knock him out.

Video 3 notes:
Bridge purposes:

anilEhilated posted:

That loving bridge. I swear they put it in there just to force you to use fast travel. Admittedly, it makes a later scene that much sweeter.
Kinda! In practice, the bridge is both another way of buffering loading another area (if you fast travel, the batplane cutscene loops as the new area loads), and it also forms a convenient controlled route for players to hit scripted plot/background sound triggers midgame (like that gangwar crime in progress that scruffy broke up, that's scripted- it only happens once.)

Gun Deal cutscene errata: Hahahaha, I hadn't realized how much this game had been put through the blender. If you were looking for hard evidence the cutscenes were made really early in development and then worked around- in this latest stakeout/gun deal cutscene, the people doing the deal with Penguin's men are part of another ingame criminal faction that will appear much later- specifically, one of their early, concept-art builds. Ingame, they're generic criminal enemies- originally, this group were going to be played up more, and introduced earlier. There was also probably a reason for why they have you arrive onscene on foot, then automatically have you grapple to the overlook position (they were clever enough to make sure you can't see batman's face or, specifically, lips, during this cutscene- that lets them adjust why he's staking the meeting out).

Enigma Tower: yes, you can try to open the electrified gate on the radio tower, yes it hurts, and yes, Enigma laughs at you. The enigma towers are some of the nicest puzzle designs in the game, because there's a fair amount of variety in the environmental "tools" the devs had to play with, compared with the limited set of buttons that were around for the datapacks. The enigma dialogue is also mostly pretty well-done.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 23, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It must chafe the Riddler that the first time they met, Batman casually gave him a nickname that is way too loving close to his actual name.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

JT Jag posted:

It must chafe the Riddler that the first time they met, Batman casually gave him a nickname that is way too loving close to his actual name.

It also makes the interrogations... odd.

"WHERE ARE ENIGMA'S FILES?!"
"What? Who the heck is that?"
"DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH ME, I KNOW YOU WORK FOR HIM"
"No dude seriously I do not know who you are referring to"

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

JT Jag posted:

The Riddler's real name was Eddie Nashton, he changed it to Edward Nygma because he's a complete dork like that.
:goonsay:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It also makes the interrogations... odd.

"WHERE ARE ENIGMA'S FILES?!"
"What? Who the heck is that?"
"DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH ME, I KNOW YOU WORK FOR HIM"
"No dude seriously I do not know who you are referring to"

Like his would ever stop Batman. I wish they'd make the guy a bit less of a dick. Would it really be so hard to have him put people down after he interrogates them and let them go? He's got what he needs, no need to crush the poor guy's orbital.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JT Jag posted:

The game tries to tell you through files that "Enigma" was already the alias of a known underworld information broker- Batman just realized that the guys screwing with his comms is the Enigma guy he'd been hearing about before.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Like his would ever stop Batman. I wish they'd make the guy a bit less of a dick. Would it really be so hard to have him put people down after he interrogates them and let them go? He's got what he needs, no need to crush the poor guy's orbital.

You ain't seen much as far as Bat-dickery goes yet. There's still a good chunk of game to get through. Hell, we haven't even gotten to the Penguin yet, you wanna see a guy getting punched while he's down...

Actually, yeah, you wanna see that? Why not an update.

Vigilante Piracy/Polsy

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
It really bothers me how lazy this game feels. I mean just from a perspective of "We wanna do a game set before poo poo goes down" nothing feels particularly special. Everyone gives tiny bits of lip service to you not being really established but that's it, and it doesn't feel like they even tried to make the gadgets special to the fact that this is an earlier Batman. I'm not saying don't have any of the ideas from the other games but it'd be nice if it didn't feel like such a copy/paste situation. The whole thing just feels kinda janky :shrug:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
What we have there is a fairly typical London cockney accent, Its basically the same accent the penguin has in this game and Arkham city.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

With a name like "Tracey" I assume she's a sharpshooter of some kind.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I almost forgot, but I put the two tags I scanned into the second post. The Anarky tags.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Argh, Tracey... She is indeed a Cockney Sparra (You Wot, Mate is a common utterance Dahhhn Sahhth), and while she does have a brain, she's mainly the "Well 'ard but pretty one" of Penguin's ladies. Never mind that her voice sets me on edge, she's attractive to Cobblepot...

So this is one of the bits I'm not entirely cool with, not because of the character of Tracey, or her situation (She is her own character, she's written alright for the short period we see her, and she's willingly with the Penguin because, like him, she's a thug), but because of the camera. It's very male gazey, which feels awkward to mention, because... Well...

Penguin's exactly the kind of jerk who treats people as objects, and Tracey's exactly the kind of lady who knows showin' a bit will distract most men long enough to kick them in the fork. We've already seen Cobblepot's people collecting before in City, and if you've ever seen him in the Iceberg Lounge in other media, you'll notice his feminine henchmen are generally more picked for their looks than their brains or muscle (A good example of this from DCAU is the episode with Roxy Rocket). Tracey and Candy are all too rare exceptions.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

dscruffy1 posted:

I almost forgot, but I put the two tags I scanned into the second post. The Anarky tags.

Anarky is such a goon. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Anarky is such a goon. :allears:

A large part of the thread conversation after the initial launch of the game was how Anarky was totally correct. As more Anarky tags are posted, and as his sidequest gets resolved, this will become increasingly hilarious. (Anarky is really well voiced, though- I use his broadcasts as models when I prep to teach tonal delivery).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 23, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The enemy progression in origins is definitely the best in the series. The first run through shows you a lot of enemy types that you wouldn't see till endgame of city. It still has it's issues (Later encounter)There is one scene where the game will throw you a dozen guys with guns in a tight space and tell you to sneak past them and then run from them, but on a first play through you can take them out easy. On the new game + modes the game will start you off with tricky enemy arrangements from the word go, and I feel the speed they're introduced in the normal game helps with that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoyed the "boss fight".

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxOqFRgD8o

Cockneys are real. Just don't see women doing it so often outside of My Fair Lady.

Comedy option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcG3JRIF05w

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Yeah, her accent is exaggerated, but pretty accurate. She's playing up the slang a lot, I'm not sure real people would just spit out rapid fire stereotypical cockney sayings in every single sentence, but I've definitely known people with that accent who used that kind of language, for sure.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
By the way, Batman is voiced by Roger Craig Smith in this game, whom you may better recognize as Ezio Auditore from the Assassin's Creed 2 games or as the latest voice of Sonic the Hedgehog.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fabricated posted:

I enjoyed the "boss fight".

The Electrocutioner is hands down my favorite part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

honestly I was kind of hoping I'd battle him considering the intro he gets, but nope, one punch.

• Locked thread