Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I mean look at this poo poo:
http://fat.gfycat.com/InferiorMediumFlyinglemur.webm

The car was driver-less when it goes down there. However, road rash is still not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Gifs like that are why I'm super excited for Arkham Knight. One more day!

Also I had a weird nightmare last night where my save data for Arkham Origins got deleted right before I recorded the end of it. This game is doing terrible things to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Major_JF posted:

I mean look at this poo poo:
http://fat.gfycat.com/InferiorMediumFlyinglemur.webm

The car was driver-less when it goes down there. However, road rash is still not fun.

Bat Parachute. It deploys off-screen and dissolves before you can look at it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

dscruffy1 posted:

Also I had a weird nightmare last night where my save data for Arkham Origins got deleted right before I recorded the end of it. This game is doing terrible things to me.

Yes, it's just the game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes, it's just the game.

I think there's some sense of poetic justice in me picking up Arkham Knight on the same day I'm going to finish Arkham Origins.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
It's like a lovely little reward for your hard work

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be at work on a different shift so here's the video a bit earlier than normal. This'll do it for Arkham Origins, this game has been LP uninstalled.

A Cold Reception/Polsy

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, for all the (few) odd flaws of that boss fight, that was a little more interesting than the City fight, and the ending was well done. Many thanks for LPing this, Scruffy, we may have differing opinions about Origins, but it's been a good LP of a game that, for all its flaws, still deserves being shown off.

I also quite liked the talky bit at the beginning of this credits sequence. Look forward to your next LP, and look forward to when you get around to Knight. Although it seems that I'm going to have to write some very irritable words about "Day One Issues", as Origins, much like quite a few releases this past year, apparently suffered from some hefty ones (Thankfully patched very quickly, but still a bad "tradition" in AAA gaming that really needs to stop, in the sense of "If people are falling through the world, and the FPS is stuttering like a mo'fugger on PC, perhaps delay the game by a single god-drat day to get the "Day One Patch" out of the way..." )

Apart from that though, Knight looks alright, and I look forward to reviewing it on the 6th (When I can afford to. :v: )

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

JamieTheD posted:

Okay, for all the (few) odd flaws of that boss fight, that was a little more interesting than the City fight, and the ending was well done. Many thanks for LPing this, Scruffy, we may have differing opinions about Origins, but it's been a good LP of a game that, for all its flaws, still deserves being shown off.

I also quite liked the talky bit at the beginning of this credits sequence. Look forward to your next LP, and look forward to when you get around to Knight. Although it seems that I'm going to have to write some very irritable words about "Day One Issues", as Origins, much like quite a few releases this past year, apparently suffered from some hefty ones (Thankfully patched very quickly, but still a bad "tradition" in AAA gaming that really needs to stop, in the sense of "If people are falling through the world, and the FPS is stuttering like a mo'fugger on PC, perhaps delay the game by a single god-drat day to get the "Day One Patch" out of the way..." )

Apart from that though, Knight looks alright, and I look forward to reviewing it on the 6th (When I can afford to. :v: )

How can they still have day one bugs when they even delayed the release date? Rocksteady don't do me like that :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Now that was some good batmanning. Sympathy, drama, some actual compassion to go with all the brutality, that was some good poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, this convinced me to shift Origins from my "won't play again" category to "might play given massive DLC discount". Good job, I guess? I don't really know how to praise a great LP of a disappointing game, sorry.
I am very much looking forward to what you posted in sandcastle, though. Everyone keeps telling me how terrible that game is and I keep looking at it in the Steam store with the "it can't be *that* bad, surely..." approach.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, when's the Arkham Knight LP kicking off?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was a rather nice sendoff for this LP and game, all things considered. Not as good as City, but definitely better than the main game.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Arkham Knight LP. Hopefully your PC will be able to handle recording it, dscruffy.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, when's the Arkham Knight LP kicking off?

Give me at least six months :v:

I want to wait until I get a good feel for the game and I'm also going to be waiting on the DLC, which is supposed to be put out over six months. Plus this gives me some time to work out any technical difficulties I've got with recording from an Elgato!

Shei-kun posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Arkham Knight LP. Hopefully your PC will be able to handle recording it, dscruffy.

I know my PC can't, that's why I've got a PS4!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Silly me, thinking that Freeze was unable to be damaged head on, decided to do this fight purely by dropping icicles onto Freeze. Needless to say, it took FOREVER. I hated myself so much when I realized that you could still do stealth takedowns on him.

As a note, the credits dialogue about Mayor Hill resigning from office? That was the blackmail that Riddler was talking about. Riddler actually did something helpful to Gotham.

Anyway, last set of Game Over quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-eunQ1hjw

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations on finishing this quality LP, dscruffy1!
I never finished Origins and never played this DLC, which is a shame since it looked better than the main game: it's a retelling of Mr.Freeze Origin story, you get more of Alfred and Batman is no longer the insufferable rear end in a top hat he was in the main campaign. :v:
Do let us know what you think of Arkham Knight and see you in your next LP!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'd agree, that was some pretty good Batman. If only the rest of the games were as good as it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I respect your commitment to the craft of Batmaning.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

dscruffy1 posted:

How can they still have day one bugs when they even delayed the release date? Rocksteady don't do me like that :(

Yeah, it sadly gets worse. PC version still has some serious problems, and according to my fellow journalistic sources, the Wall of Silence has fallen at WB on the matter (Although Rocksteady have already made a short, if extremely unsatisfying statement on the forums)

AAA has some serious fuckin' problems, and I really wish they'd start addressing them. But they probably won't while the cash-cows keep comin'

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I've fallen a few videos behind but even if I haven't seen the entire LP yet I can still say it's been a heck of a ride. These videos managed to stirr up some excellent commentary in the threads on the whole and it's been a fantastic showcase & playthrough in general.

Good gaming Scruffy, will definitely be :f5: these forums in 6 months for the Knight LP.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finally caught up with the videos, nice LP again as always. Only thing I would mention that wasn't shown was way back in the first video for the DLC, you can actually get a line if you walk up to the grandfather clock in the study, which was the Batcave entrance he was originally headed for (where he points out that he can't use THAT door in front of Viki Vale and the other civilians, naturally). That entrance is canonical to the comics from what I understand; apparently it is opened by setting the clock to the exact time Batman's parents were killed (for maximum Bat-Angst, no doubt).

I had a lot more trouble with the final fight than you, REALLY despise the whole "stand still and charge these things up" crap since it seemed luck-based whether I could finish before being inevitably shot. Maybe I just had worse skill at distracting the enemies, because it seemed there was always somebody nearby when I went for it. Also hated Freeze always firing on me right as it finished even when it worked because the game never let me get the dodge off for some reason. Pulled it off in the end but it was way more frustrating than the Arkham City version.

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, it sadly gets worse. PC version still has some serious problems, and according to my fellow journalistic sources, the Wall of Silence has fallen at WB on the matter (Although Rocksteady have already made a short, if extremely unsatisfying statement on the forums)

AAA has some serious fuckin' problems, and I really wish they'd start addressing them. But they probably won't while the cash-cows keep comin'

Yeah, rather pissed off about that, though right now I'm still installing as I type this so I'll see how much it applies to me. In true beautiful fashion apparently one of the marketing execs at WB called PC gamers "cry babies" for being upset; one would think marketing experience would suggest insulting customers is a bad idea.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
If Scruffy isn't all heisted out, there's a game called "Crookz" coming out in August. It's from the developers of Tropico, and it puts you in the role of a mastermind plotting out a series of heists in the 1970s. It's kind of like Monaco, only with real-time strategy and rpg elements. There's a short film teaser and a gameplay livestream on the Kalypso Media Youtube channel, if you feel like checking it out.

Thanks for the LP! I don't think I would have had the grit to finish it myself, so I'm glad someone else did.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Thanks for the LP Scruffy, Cold Cold Heart looks to be most definitely worth the money, I may have to pick it up some time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I recall hearing that a number of bugs present on launch are never actually corrected by the developer or publisher, but instead fixed quietly by the graphics card folks. Presumably that's mostly/entirely graphical glitches, but the precedent is still weird and worrisome. :psyduck:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
So, much is done by the graphic card folks that it isn't funny.
Have you read the patch notes on the drivers? I remember one of the nvidia driver updates listing that the driver gave a 25% improvement on the 700 series for Batman:AO. And there were a few other games that got 10-20% improvements.

Basically, the hardware drives the software. You will never have a game studio go to intel/amd and say "yeah, we need a 22 core processor running at a min 1.8 GHz to be out by Q3 two years from now." Why do you think it took so long for games to start using multiple cores? There had to be enough people out there running the duo-core/quad-core chips before it was worth spending the time coding for them. The GPU makers figure out what extra tricks they can now run on the new chips and then the GPU makers offer the code modules to the game makers so that there is a reason for you to upgrade to the new chipset.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Quiet Python posted:

If Scruffy isn't all heisted out, there's a game called "Crookz" coming out in August. It's from the developers of Tropico, and it puts you in the role of a mastermind plotting out a series of heists in the 1970s. It's kind of like Monaco, only with real-time strategy and rpg elements. There's a short film teaser and a gameplay livestream on the Kalypso Media Youtube channel, if you feel like checking it out.

This looks pretty interesting. I'll keep looking into it!

Also, for what it's worth, I got to play Arkham Knight. So far it's PRETTY COOL I DARESAY.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

NGDBSS posted:

I recall hearing that a number of bugs present on launch are never actually corrected by the developer or publisher, but instead fixed quietly by the graphics card folks. Presumably that's mostly/entirely graphical glitches, but the precedent is still weird and worrisome. :psyduck:
I'm not surprised; Microsoft has been doing the same thing for years, including stuff like writing workarounds for their memory manager because a game told Windows "Hey, I'm done with this memory, feel free to give it to someone else" and then still tried to write into it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, seems like Arkham Knight has retconed Origins to now take place ten years before Asylum rather than five.

There is a line of dialogue saying that Firefly hasn't been seen for ten years.

Honestly I think that's a pretty good change. I always thought it was a little silly that Batman went through three Robins and a Batgirl in five years.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Veotax posted:

Huh, seems like Arkham Knight has retconed Origins to now take place ten years before Asylum rather than five.

Honestly I think that's a pretty good change. I always thought it was a little silly that Batman went through three Robins and a Batgirl in five years.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Veotax posted:

It took place 7 years before Asylum. Though it does not make sense Firefly had not been seen for that long. It was stated that he was an ally of Black Mask in Arkham City.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Veotax posted:

Well in the New 52, Batman went through four Robins and a Batgirl in five years. So that's just keeping consistent with the source material!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Do Rocksteady even care that much about Origins? I can imagine them sitting there listening to that story being read out, glancing to the side and going "ANYWAY, about our OC (do not steel)..."

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Crosspeice posted:

Do Rocksteady even care that much about Origins? I can imagine them sitting there listening to that story being read out, glancing to the side and going "ANYWAY, about our OC (do not steel)..."

They've put it a few references here and there. Anarky's coat and mask and Electrocutioner's gloves are in the GCPD evidence locker and people mention 'The Blackgate Riots'.

Also there are two side quest based around Firefly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
drat. They pulled Arkham Knight from Steam "while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards"

WB posted:

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,

We want to apologize to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards. We greatly value our customers and know that while there are a significant amount of players who are enjoying the game on PC, we want to do whatever we can to make the experience better for PC players overall.

Thank you to those players who have already given valuable feedback. We are continuously monitoring all threads posted in the Official Batman: Arkham Knight Community and Steam forums, as well as any issues logged with our Customer Support (http://support.wbgames.com/). If you purchased your copy of the game and are not satisfied with your experience, then we ask for your patience while these issues are resolved. If desired, you can request a refund at https://help.steampowered.com (Steam refund policies can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds) or the retail location where you purchased the game.

The Batman: Arkham fans have continually supported the franchise to its current height of success, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work to deliver an updated version of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC so you can all enjoy the final chapter of the Batman: Arkham series as it was meant to be played.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hoo nelly. There's a PR disaster. I can't think of too many games that have been pulled from Steam aside from The War Z.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

dscruffy1 posted:

Hoo nelly. There's a PR disaster. I can't think of too many games that have been pulled from Steam aside from The War Z.

Well, they pulled it themselves, and they're saying you can ask for refunds both in steam and in retail shops, so aside from the gigantic SNAFU it seems like they're doing the right thing here.

Well, no the right thing would have been not releasing a broken game, but you know what I mean.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow, I heard it was bad, but looking at the Steam reviews - it must be horrendous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
People with insanely good top-end rigs were reporting 15 FPS when they were in the batmobile. Without that you're looking at a slide show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
And they were suggesting that if you still have to play it set it to 720p, leave the 30fps cap on, and turn all the settings to off/low.

• Locked thread