Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

A bit of information about me: 28 year old white dude, married and planning on moving within the next year or two.

I work right now as a flight nurse, wife works in collegiate athletics, once we have all of our student loans paid off we plan to move from Southern NM to somewhere else.

One of the options we had on our list was Boulder, CO. A job for me most likely wouldn't be terrible to get, given my nursing degree. I also possess a masters in public health, and within 3.5 years will have a PhD in Nursing. Wife has a bachelors degree in Political Science, experience within her sport, however UC boulder doesn't host their sport.

One of the big worries I have with moving to Boulder is that housing there is ridiculous. From what i've seen, lovely houses go for 300K, and if you want something that's even remotely nice it's gonna be 700k+. I think that together, me and my wife could probably make 100-130k, but that may be stretching it, and I have no clue what nurses actually make in boulder, but it seems to be on the range of 60-70k/year.

I see that there are lots of condo's for sale, but the thought of living in a condo for say 6-8 years and then trying to sell it seems like a very....not smart idea. So buying a house would be nice, but we don't feel like being a slave to house payments.

So tell me about what I'd be getting into, and whether or not it's even viable for us to make it in boulder and live comfortably. We are a fan of living within our means and we're not really looking forward to living paycheck to paycheck.

Any insight on whether or not it would even be worth moving given our situation would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Grew up outside of Boulder here and went to university in boulder. It owns. One of the best places to live. Great restaurants lots of stuff to do and beautiful weather.

You could definitely make it work. But I'd look long and hard at Louisville. It was a sleepy suburb when I went to high school 15 years ago, but over the past 5 years the downtown area has become amazing. It's even attracted young people without children. Houses can be had in Louisville for 450ish or less.

Boulder has some weird cultural issues. Lots of trust fund liberals who express their beliefs in the most bizarre way. I've heard very similar to Berkeley from those who've lived in both. Colorado currently has the lowest immunization rate in the nation and I'd bet anything that Boulder is the epicenter for that

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've heard that there are a plethora of weird people who live in Boulder, but I'll take a look at Louisville. I've been to Boulder just to visit for races and to hang around and loved it.

Kind of sad though that Colorado beats out California for immunization rates..

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm seriously not exaggerating. If you ever want to raise kids, Louisville is the best place ever. Money magazine ranked it best place to live for several years in a row.

Nothing is for sale in the Denver metro area right now. Real Estate is insane. Prices are high right now but the real problem is that no one is selling. You'd probably have to rent for awhile.

Wife an I live in Denver on just about your desired salary with 2 kids. We only have a 300k mortgage, but we'll be dropping down to about 110 here pretty soon and we'll be just fine. Boulder is pricier than Denver. Louisville and Denver are about the same. Broomfield, Westminster Arvada are cheaper still.

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 16, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We have no desire for kids, mainly just career improvement, enjoyment into our lifestyle of being outdoorsy and so fourth. My uncle/aunt live in Centennial and the way they talk about the market is crazy.

I looked into housing around Louisville and it's a "bit" more in our price range. 300k still just seems ridiculous for housing, but I live in a place where 300k would get you the top 10% of houses here. I need to actually check out Louisville in one of my excursions.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Where would you suggest renting from in Louisville, oxsnard? My wife and I are sharing with roommates right now in Longmont, and even that rent is killing us with $650 a month plus high utilities.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MurderBot posted:

A bit of information about me: 28 year old white dude

You'll fit right in.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Where would you suggest renting from in Louisville, oxsnard? My wife and I are sharing with roommates right now in Longmont, and even that rent is killing us with $650 a month plus high utilities.

Louisville is way more expensive than Longmont though. If you plan on making 120k it's a-ok

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Control Volume posted:

You'll fit right in.

Yeah I know, I guess I didn't need to mention it........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Louisville is way more expensive than Longmont though. If you plan on making 120k it's a-ok

I guess I misread your pricing.

• Locked thread