Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

My face when I was reminded that Wildstar still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The more I hear about Carbine, the more they sound like the evil twin of Arenanet. Both set out to make a modern MMORPG, but their philosophies were completely opposite.

Arenanet made Guild Wars 2 very carefully. They looked for common snags in MMO gameplay: fighting over nodes, fighting over tags, leveling zones that became useless as they were outgrown, having to wait forever on tanks and healers for grouping, having too much stuff character-bound, mechanics that encouraged player-on-player animosity, having to build an entirely new set of equipment for PvP, the problems caused by a gear treadmill, and so on. They then improved those things or avoided them entirely with a better system. The result is a game engineered to be friendlier at every step of the way, to the point where even the game community is the most pleasant I've seen in the genre.

Carbine approached making Wildstar with incredible arrogance, ignoring a decade's worth of lessons other successful (and failed) MMOs could teach them. They deliberately chose to make the game punishing and outdated, right down to the box + sub model. This created an incredibly toxic community of players on top of it. This disaster could have been prevented if they had paid attention to history and had been more humble, but the guys in charge kept screaming HARDCORE and charging right ahead. They've spent some time undoing some of their "hardcore" stuff, but too little, too late. They're getting exactly what they deserve.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Did anyone else think it was weird, and also a little telling, that a sci-fi futuristic game on a far flung alien world used the same Copper Silver Gold Plat currency system as WoW and most every other high fantasy MMO? Not to mention that for a good while the icons for Silver, Platinum and Renown were so similar that you had no idea which one you were spending at any given time.

I heard that despite taking place in a sci-fi world, the game's confined to a single planet. :effort: It's odd how closely it follows the usual fantasy MMO design.

sword_man.gif posted:

well good news, wow is working very hard to kill itself

i suppose when they get done shooting themselves in the foot, rear end, chest, arms, legs, face, and dick, you can go and hold up the gun and yell MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

What is going on with it, anyways? It seems like the game's in shambles, with problems far beyond its age.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
There was some dupe bug that completely cratered the in-game economy. Since the credd stuff is bought with in-game currency, welp. They did not perform a rollback; speculation is that they literally don't have the tech to do one.

I didn't know that the game actually went into space for a few sections. mushroom_spore's experience sounded like it could be great. Shame about the baggage dragging the rest of the game down.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9sI8K5g9Q`

i don't know why this game failed there is SO MUCH to do

The video invites people to roleplay, but the vast majority of the crowd is half-naked anime bunny girls... :ohdear:

I wonder how much of that type of person makes up the remainder of Wildstar's active players.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
That's one of the parts of Wildstar's arrogance that gets me. They intentionally cultivated a community that would end up being small and toxic by nature. :psyduck:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I think so. From the screenshots I've seen, you can give the anime animal people race godawful looking faces, including oversize cartoon eyes.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The comparison to Amy's Baking Company is spot on.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Nice finds, Mormon Star Wars.

quote:

I loved WildStar, and as much as I'll keep fighting for it's population, deep down I'm ready for this game to die so the talent can go where it's potential will be set free. Why? They listened to the wrong people,

What an oddly reasonable opi-

quote:

started giving handouts and nerfing content.

Oh, there it is. It's funny how these guys never realize that they are the problem.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
People have been demanding classic World of Warcraft servers since the game moved on from classic to Burning Crusade. I wonder how many people would actually play officially sanctioned classic servers all the way through to the hard and grindy content.

My guess is a tiny number, since it's such a inaccessible, dated, and niche product. But enough about Wildstar... :rimshot:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
WoW's coding is a mess; the game is partially controlled by killing invisible bunnies. No joke. But it has the excuse of being built on a very dated engine as well as being a decade old. Wildstar, being a 2014 release, has no such excuses.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Turning the game into a more complete and accessible experience takes time and money and they've already pissed away a lot of their time and money with the original HARDCORE! model. I doubt they'll be allotted enough resources to try to bail it out properly.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Someone looked at this and thought, "Yep, good enough".

(I can't believe how atrocious that race looks)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
IMO, regardless of personal taste, they just don't mesh with the rest of the game's style which is more evocative of TF2. They tend to either look overly anime next to the generally Western-style characters and surroundings, or have features and proportions that look bizarrely cartoony even considering the art direction. I was trying to think of what that woman reminded me of...

A Bratz doll.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The game was too hard for most people to play, so they ended up quitting. So NCsoft got rid of the people who wanted a hard game, and then mandated that the game be made more invader-friendly.

You heard it here, folks; casual players are INVADERS.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
WoW's massive jumble of stats in 2004 were both better named and more consistent. :allears:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Yes, it definitely used to exist and no, they formally ditched that policy some time later.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

Look at how exciting this poo poo is, son. A max level player has to wait on cooldowns to do the loving newbie tutorial dungeon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plrOpjZhEw

I can't believe the flame obstacles + time limit before boss needs to be interrupted that John Dyne described starting at 3:33. You do not make new players do something that complex and unforgiving!

Keep in mind this isn't release content. This was patched in months later after it was abundantly clear that the HARDCORE! model failed and the game was flailing. It's like they want to fail.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The experience they crafted was just one where you abuse the player until they get better and then getting surprised when they just left to go do something else.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I thought those remarks about the game insulting you for dying were an exaggeration. This is what happens every time you die in the game? A voice taunts you to stay dead with "witty" lines? :psyduck:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm convinced that the developers heard the infamously condescending sweetroll line in Skyrim and decided "yes, we want a game revolving around this".

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

But yeah, Wildstar learned to hate from EQ. EQ was the granddaddy of hating the player, because it pretty well copped directly from old school Dungeons and Dragons.

Yep. This right there was the cause of a lot of MMO woes, and some of it still plagues the genre today. Mechanics were pulled straight from pen and paper games without modifying them to be suitable for a multiplayer computer game. Stuff like day-long cooldowns for important abilities, outdoor raid bosses, and harsh death penalties didn't translate well to most entries in the genre.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The majority will always gravitate towards playing humans and pretty elves. That's why this game has not one but two near-identical human races; one for each side.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Enemu posted:

Nah, there's probably 3m or so mouthbreathers that will perpetually stay subbed to the game because their 13k internet points mean a lot to them. Plus the 2m or so (admittedly me) that will buy a new expansion expecting it to be different.

Yes, it will keep going and make money well into the future. Even with it showing its age and turning off lots of players with a steaming turd of an expansion, they have a lot of loyal followers yet. It just won't be as massively successful as before.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hahaha

This is the "Wildstar is for the hardcore" guy. The next WoW expansion is going to be so much fun!

Hahahaha!

This is the last thing they need.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 7, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
They dropped the temporary events and have now made all new living world content repeatable and potentially accessible at any time.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Xavier434 posted:

Counter Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMT2JCYEqk

Customization Rocks!

But to be fair, I have seen some glorious monstrosities appear out of that game's character creator too.

That's a staggering amount of things to tweak. If you don't have any background in art (for knowledge of facial proportions) it must be really easy to create horrors straight from the Skyrim Nexus.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Babe Magnet posted:

nothin personnel...kid

It's perfect.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Doesn't this change still leave a giant bloated list of confusing secondary stats?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

tezcat posted:

Sometimes I just get so drat confused about this game. Like I'm having a hard time trying to articulate just how bugfuck stupid Wildstar Devs can be. It's almost as if they have a Ouija board that channels retarded devs from the past that designed UO, EQ and other "Bad choice game devs" to plot decisions for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

Langosta posted:

But there's that guy who posted the Winner! gif. gently caress that guy.

The raid designer, no less.

Edit: If I counted right, that makes for 24 secondary stats, and this is supposed to be their new and improved system. Jesus christ!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 25, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

d3lness posted:

The idea of being able to break stuns faster and have to do the simon minigames was fun... until you had to do it 10,000 times. One of the few things Carbine did right was let modders bypass the ever-living gently caress out of that stuff.

Wait... They make you do that to break free of crowd control early? I can imagine how much fun that would be in PvP modes.

WoW has a Simon minigame, but it's in a daily quest area circa 2007 and not intended to be done in combat.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

My problem with Wildstar wasn't even the difficulty. If you want to make a niche soul crushingly difficult themepark MMO, go right ahead. That sort of playstyle even appeals to me, which is why I pushed through the dumb attunement. My issue was that they made the dungeons difficult but screwed up almost everything else. The devs had absolutely no idea how to reward player effort or itemize gear.

It's been discussed before in this thread, but a lot of design decisions they made to make the game more "hardcore" were not to make the game genuinely challenging; the stuff was time-wasting padding straight out of Everquest 1. Their lead developers don't seem to distinguish between "hard fights" or "tough raid progression" and "literally impossible fights" or "unforgivingly tuned to the point of being punishing". Combined with the huge raid size requirements and anemic rewards for clearing the content, it made for an ugly experience.

Massive time investment to get any traction = / hardcore

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
What I meant is that the game's developers think that EQ1 logistics and TBC attunements are good and valid game design in 2014-15. They don't seem to distinguish the value between a tough but doable fight and one that is deliberately skewed to make the players suffer.

Wildstar advertised itself as having huge, difficult, awesome raids that would be clear on how to improve if you messed up, but players discovered the end product's "challenge" was unfair and plain unfun. Instead of fights that were genuinely engaging, they were weighted to be grindy as hell or even literally impossible.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
For those that are curious but don't want to look it up, here is Tseric's meltdown about the hazards of MMO communities.

Tseric's first post posted:

When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make. Until you face mobs of psychology, you will not see my side.

Until you see some bright-eyed player coming onto the forums wanting to know what they should spec as this class, and see them shat on and driven away by petty and selfish people who are simply leveraging for game buffs, you will not understand.

You will not understand until you have to see it daily, for years...

Until you understand that many people will trod over you to get where they're going, or to get what they want.

Until you understand that so many people will agree, completely, 100% with a loud, vulgar and assertive individual, not because he is right, but because he is making a stand against "the Man"; to take no critical thought in what they say, but simply to hop on board.

Until you actually try to acknowledge those who do not speak on the forums, for whatever reason they have, you will not understand.

If you think an archaic business formula like "the customer is always right" works, you fail to understand customers, not a customer. It is a collective. No one person, even myself, is truly above the whole.

I simply have the unfortunate quality of being easily singled out.

Tseric's second post posted:

Can't help it.
Posting impassionately, they say you don't care.
Posting nothing, they say you ignore.
Posting with passion, you incite trolls.
Posting fluff, you say nonsense.
Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale.
There is no win.
There is only slow degradation.
Take note. It is the first and only time you'll see someone in my position make that position.
You can be me when I'm gone.

Tseric's third post, responding to a joke about him posted:

I'm sure you all think you're hilarious in your own space/mind.

Get off my internet.

kthx

The job seems to test the limits of human patience. All MMOs seem to attract a very angry, implacable audience, but Wildstar's sounds extra unpleasant.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 4, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Deki posted:

Considering the crowd reactions, that might actually be a good move on Carbine's part.

Seems like a lesser of the two evils situation, which is an oddly self-defeating approach to have about an optional entertainment choice. But that's the way a non-trivial amount of MMORPG players think. :shrug: Never understood that.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
What do Boom Boxes have inside them? All I know is that they're disappointing and that they were given out as compensation to players several times.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

UO also did random events every once in a while. Like they'd have GMs just spawn orcs to attack a town for an hour. You could log in and get swept up in some crazy one-off poo poo by some bored GM that would never be repeated. I have no idea why no other game has stolen that idea.

I remember reading that EQ1 had GM-run events like that, and there were problems with consistency and drama coming from favoritism?

In addition to that, WoW taught me that the majority of MMO players hate disruptive, spontaneous world events. While its special Zombie Infestation pre-expansion event wasn't a spur of the moment thing from a GM, it was done in the same spirit. Many players loved it, but the majority of the feedback Blizzard got was negative. They've never done something as daring since.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah, limitations like that - faction limits, race / class combo limits, etc - are definitely going the way of the dodo and I think that's a good thing. There's no reason to have those except for ~lore~. I'm really surprised to hear that WoW still has those limits in place.

It's not just lore, either. Paladins get race-specific mounts and druids get race-specific shapeshift forms. Considering that Moonkin Form is still stuck with a hilariously outdated model from 2006, they're extremely adverse to making all of that new art.

But yeah, factional divide will always end in a giant headache. Some factions or races will always be favored, and scrambling to balance it never works out. It's another reason why Wildstar feels so dated: they chose to have factions after a decade of evidence pointed to that mechanic just not being fun or fair.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

BadLlama posted:

I thought pve in elder scrolls didn't care about faction? Restricting people for pve content is loving dumb your RP can eat a dick.

The three factions are strictly segregated except for features like guilds, guild chat, guild stores, mail, and whispers. The only time they can ever meet in the game world is in the PvP map, as enemies.

At least the leveling and questing content doesn't go to waste. The other faction's early leveling zones are repurposed as separately instanced late leveling/endgame zones, so any character can fully see all three factions' content.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

John Dyne posted:

They're making gear rewards and vendors make more sense, and making it so loot drops from all bosses in dungeons rather than just the last one.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

This is nitpicky, but I've seen this picture before and something about it puzzles me. Are those supposed to be earrings? They wouldn't work with the rabbit ears.

• Locked thread