Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Some good Wildstar news!

What in the gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

theultimo posted:

Lmao that is terrible, lower life, less dps. Don't stand in the fire Billy, you'll lose 90% of your dps!

I mean at least this sort of makes sense as a somewhat mechanically rewarding thing, unlike most of the rest of that clusterfuck. I wish WoW had gone slightly in that direction to make meterhogs better at situational awareness, but whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean at least this sort of makes sense as a somewhat mechanically rewarding thing, unlike most of the rest of that clusterfuck. I wish WoW had gone slightly in that direction to make meterhogs better at situational awareness, but whatever.

Mechanically rewarding soon becomes required soon becomes under 100% hp and you are subpar dps which evolves into dps bitching at the healer to keep them topped all the time.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Incredible. I thought they were just gonna switch to traditional MMO stats, instead they veer into new and magically horrible territory.

This goddamn game, man.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Imagine the brain dead DPS standing in the fire actually now have a reason to scream at the healers for not keeping them topped off. Plus, this is goddamn Wildstar we're talking about, you know every single boss is going to be tuned around maintaining a 90-100% bonus sustained through the fight because cupcakes, Cupcake.

HARDCORE!

*Shreds guitar*

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The only time "amount of damage linked to health %" is fun is when it's a short cooldown and you do more damage when you're low because then it's about having a better chance in tighter spots and making use of a normally disadvantaged position. Having it be the opposite is just a win harder thing, and that poo poo ranges from really bad to completely ignorable.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

There's no way anyone would even use a stat like that, even if it was available in huge amounts. The pressure of having to move perfectly throughout a fight, among other Jedi-like-things, would make it too much of a risk for probably too little of a reward.

Although. I am looking forward to people talking about how hardcore they are because they're running with like 2000 vigor or whatever a high value is and making it work somehow. :munch:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Langosta posted:

There's no way anyone would even use a stat like that, even if it was available in huge amounts. The pressure of having to move perfectly throughout a fight, among other Jedi-like-things, would make it too much of a risk for probably too little of a reward.

Although. I am looking forward to people talking about how hardcore they are because they're running with like 2000 vigor or whatever a high value is and making it work somehow. :munch:

That's why all the gear will be heavily weighted to that stat. Because hardcore!

I only skimmed that quote but I didn't see any mention of them going back and retuning the horrible LSD trippy mess of ground tells. I'm still shaking my head at that new level 10 dungeon and the boss fight where 80% of the ground is red, jesus gently caress.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Langosta posted:

Let me tell you about wow boss fights where every mechanic a dps had any control over was an instant wipe if they screwed up!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SumYungGui posted:

Age of Conan was loving amazing. For the first 20 levels.

Age of Conan is my favorite bad mmo. At launch it was horrendous, but I actually came back to it for some reason when it launched its expansion, and it was a lot of fun. At least I could tell the lore guys working on it cared a lot, and the soundtrack was wonderful. Funcom is a lovely horrible company and there were a few from release bugs still in the game, but I don't regret the year or so I hosed around with Rise of the Godslayer.

As for Wildstar that update...they are veering into new and wonderful ways to be terrible and it's glorious. :allears:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 25, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

WarLocke posted:

That's why all the gear will be heavily weighted to that stat. Because hardcore!

I only skimmed that quote but I didn't see any mention of them going back and retuning the horrible LSD trippy mess of ground tells. I'm still shaking my head at that new level 10 dungeon and the boss fight where 80% of the ground is red, jesus gently caress.

They are making an unironically good change by putting the overland (leveling) challenge mobs with interrupt armor in caves instead of spread all around the questing area.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Im not sure wildstar actually exists.

Im almost 100% convinced this is some satire about MMO's that im currently watching 3rd person with this thread.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

No.

It adds to the list greatly.

wildstar!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

quote:

Vigor

This is a new stat for DPS roles. Player damage is increased by this percentage, which is based on the player's current health. It is optimal at 100% health and as health goes down, so does the bonus.

They literally took Versatility from WoW, one of the stupidest loving stats, and made it worse.

Which I guess sums up Wildstar. WoW, but worse.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

socialsecurity posted:

Mechanically rewarding soon becomes required soon becomes under 100% hp and you are subpar dps which evolves into dps bitching at the healer to keep them topped all the time.

They should get a damage BONUS for being at exactly 75% hp!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Should have gone all smug and had the bonus go to SUPERHUGE when your hitpoints are negative :smug:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mormon Star Wars posted:

They are making an unironically good change by putting the overland (leveling) challenge mobs with interrupt armor in caves instead of spread all around the questing area.

Hahaha. Holy poo poo. They're finally fixing that?

Nothing like all of your attacks having a chance to draw aggro on some ridiculous mob that can butcher you when you're not at full HP or are in the middle of a fight with an actual quest objective.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

They literally took Versatility from WoW, one of the stupidest loving stats, and made it worse.

Which I guess sums up Wildstar. WoW, but worse.
Sometimes I just get so drat confused about this game. Like I'm having a hard time trying to articulate just how bugfuck stupid Wildstar Devs can be. It's almost as if they have a Ouija board that channels retarded devs from the past that designed UO, EQ and other "Bad choice game devs" to plot decisions for this one.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

tezcat posted:

Sometimes I just get so drat confused about this game. Like I'm having a hard time trying to articulate just how bugfuck stupid Wildstar Devs can be. It's almost as if they have a Ouija board that channels retarded devs from the past that designed UO, EQ and other "Bad choice game devs" to plot decisions for this one.

I'd say its less about the devs and more about the money-liches who control and push them.

But there's that guy who posted the Winner! gif. gently caress that guy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Langosta posted:

I'd say its less about the devs and more about the money-liches who control and push them.

You can't blame the money people for anything wrong with this game at all. Every choice made was something that could only be seen as a money losing proposition. It arrived late after a retardedly long dev cycle and catered to a market WoW had already proved doesn't loving exist in a meaningful way. The money people can only be blamed for the state of the game in the same way a guy buying a heroin addict a lethal dose of smack can.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The direction and timing of this stat system update is pretty strong evidence that WS decision makers are not going to change what needs to be changed in order for their F2P transition to succeed. Not that it is very surprising.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The direction and timing of this stat system update is pretty strong evidence that WS decision makers are not going to change what needs to be changed in order for their F2P transition to succeed. Not that it is very surprising.
Yeah, this is the major takeaway. Not that there was any actual hope, but it's been quashed regardless. :v:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

tezcat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY

Langosta posted:

The raid designer, no less.

Edit: If I counted right, that makes for 24 secondary stats, and this is supposed to be their new and improved system. Jesus christ!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 25, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Asimo posted:

Yeah, this is the major takeaway. Not that there was any actual hope, but it's been quashed regardless. :v:

There's always hope, Asimo!

edit: Enough grogs could quit the company to let the good employees turn it around!

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Reading that list was awesome. "We need simple stats with clear names people can understand." Makes sense, tell me more. Then the list just kept scrolling and kept scrolling and every drat entry is prefaced with "This is a new stat for all roles." They really are insane.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Byolante posted:

You can't blame the money people for anything wrong with this game at all. Every choice made was something that could only be seen as a money losing proposition. It arrived late after a retardedly long dev cycle and catered to a market WoW had already proved doesn't loving exist in a meaningful way. The money people can only be blamed for the state of the game in the same way a guy buying a heroin addict a lethal dose of smack can.

That is a silly analogy, but I suppose you're right. Still, going by the reviews of the company itself from employees and former employees I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fun ideas were squashed by higher ups in order to do something dumb that wasn't interesting at all (like chua and rabbit people). But I guess that would be more of a direction thing and not a funds thing so...

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Langosta posted:

That is a silly analogy, but I suppose you're right. Still, going by the reviews of the company itself from employees and former employees I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fun ideas were squashed by higher ups in order to do something dumb that wasn't interesting at all (like chua and rabbit people). But I guess that would be more of a direction thing and not a funds thing so...

But here's the thing, You know those rabbit dudes? They are like one of, if not the most popular race in the game.
And hell, back before Wildstar threads existed to mock the game goons were loving the Chua.

So however bad you personally think those races are, looking at Wildstar as purely a product too be marketed and sold, Rabbit people and Chua are in no way a bad idea.

And I really can't picture the higher ups descending from their golden thrones and telling the poor developers to make the stats ten times more complicated than any other theme park MMO while doing pretty much the exact same thing stats do in a theme park MMO.

No, when you get right down too it as much as us gamers love to demonize publishers and exalt developers, this game crashed hard because a bunch of WoW grognards left Blizzard in order to make a "Hardcore WoW" and they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.
They just didn't realize that pretty much no one but them wanted a game like that.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 26, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Langosta posted:

Its a pretty apt analogy because you have a small group of self destructive self absorbed idiots (smack addicts/devs) who have people giving them money to do something that can only end in pain and misery (make wildstar/inject heroin) while making life hell for those around them who only want to see them do something worthwhile with their lives (everyone else at carbine/their friends and families)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Pulsarcat posted:

But here's the thing, You know those rabbit dudes? They are like one of, if not the most popular race in the game.
And hell, back before Wildstar threads existed to mock the game goons were loving the Chua.

So however bad you personally think those races are, looking at Wildstar as purely a product too be marketed and sold, Rabbit people and Chua are in no way a bad idea.

And I really can't picture the higher ups descending from their golden thrones and telling the poor developers to make the stats ten times more complicated than any other theme park MMO while doing pretty much the exact same thing stats do in a theme park MMO.

No, when you get right down too it as much as us gamers love to demonize publishers and exalt developers, this game crashed hard because a bunch of WoW grognards left Blizzard in order to make a "Hardcore WoW" and they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.
They just didn't realize that pretty much no one but them wanted a game like that.

You're right. The idea that rabbit people and chua aren't interesting is just my own personal bias. I don't think changing those races around would have impacted sales, but I am just speculating.

The Glass Door reviews seem to indicate bad management, and in my mind I link that with a lot of problems that this game suffers from, but the two are probably in no way related. I'm just saying that if it was revealed that there were outside forces (I mean non-developers) influencing things like game design I would totally believe it.

Byolante posted:

Its a pretty apt analogy because you have a small group of self destructive self absorbed idiots (smack addicts/devs) who have people giving them money to do something that can only end in pain and misery (make wildstar/inject heroin) while making life hell for those around them who only want to see them do something worthwhile with their lives (everyone else at carbine/their friends and families)

That's a harsh criticism of both addicts and video game developers, but I think I misunderstood your analogy when you got to the "a guy buying a heroin addict a lethal dose of smack" part because I assumed intent where you probably weren't insinuating it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Langosta posted:

You're right. The idea that rabbit people and chua aren't interesting is just my own personal bias. I don't think changing those races around would have impacted sales, but I am just speculating.
Animal people and cute little fuzzy races have crazy market appeal, sure all the coolguy nerds love to talk how they hate anime poo poo and only play as ugly monster men, but the fact of the matter is almost everyone has a character that is some kind of Bunny/Cat/Fox girl or fuzzy thing.
So removing them probably would have impacted sales, it would have made them worse.

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Wildstar actually have reasonably strong initial sales, only to have their subscriber numbers absolutely plummet within a month or two?
Which would mean the bunnies and Chua did a fine job selling this game, it's just that the game kinda sucks.

quote:

The Glass Door reviews seem to indicate bad management, and in my mind I link that with a lot of problems that this game suffers from, but the two are probably in no way related. I'm just saying that if it was revealed that there were outside forces (I mean non-developers) influencing things like game design I would totally believe it.

Oh yeah, Wildstars paymasters would have had several mandates in regards too how the game was made, that's the nature of the Publisher/developer relationship after all, and I'm sure at least a few of them didn't help the game. But at the end of the day the guys who ran Carbine wanted make "Warcraft done right" and released it a decade after WoW with little too no consideration to all the convenience improvements that have sprung up in the mean time.

So while NCsoft probably had some impact on the game itself Wildstar would have been both poorly managed and poorly made without them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pulsarcat posted:

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Wildstar actually have reasonably strong initial sales, only to have their subscriber numbers absolutely plummet within a month or two?

I don't even have to look anything up to tell you are correct. This describes literally every MMO release in like the last five years.

Like, even the ones that ended up reasonable successful did this. It happens 100% of the time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Moxie doesn't exist anymore? Well, gently caress you, Wildstar. Now I'm not even interested in playing you after you've gone free to play.

On the other hand, sweet one distraction from work less!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pulsarcat posted:

Which would mean the bunnies and Chua did a fine job selling this game, it's just that the game kinda sucks.

I thought the Chua models/animations were pretty good, but the broken English and "science for teh win!!!11" theme was incredibly annoying.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the Chua models/animations were pretty good, but the broken English and "science for teh win!!!11" theme was incredibly annoying.

Even if they were any good Olivar would have killed them for me

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Hell, I liked how the Chua looked too but like you said they drove the whole "SCIENCE!" thing into the damned ground.

That's kind of the thing with Wildstar's writing isn't it? They take something that would have actually been pretty funny in small does and instead smash you over the head with it.
The constant "Hey Cupcake!" jokes would have been great if it were just one drill sargent in the tutorial area who taught you the game mechanics by whipping laser grenades at your head.
But nope, let's have that idiot comment everytime you level up or die!

Hey, you know what would be fun? A robot who flies you around once and sounds like stereotypical New York cabbie.
Wait a minute, if its funny once then that means it will be funny a thousand times, so let's have every flight path repeat the same handful of lines, it will never get old!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Pulsarcat posted:

Hey, you know what would be fun? A robot who flies you around once and sounds like stereotypical New York cabbie.
Wait a minute, if its funny once then that means it will be funny a thousand times, so let's have every flight path repeat the same handful of lines, it will never get old!

And for the longest time they hosed up the range of who could hear the cabbie's voice clips, so you'd be questing and hear them constantly thanks to people flying overhead, assuring you'd be sick of it 1000% faster.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Pulsarcat posted:

The constant "Hey Cupcake!" jokes would have been great if it were just one drill sargent in the tutorial area who taught you the game mechanics by whipping laser grenades at your head.
But nope, let's have that idiot comment everytime you level up or die!

"You just crushed that level like a f**king space bug" will never not make me smile. And it turns out there was a different announcement for every single level up.

:qq: They tried, okay?!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Eh, in this game usually you are either at 100% or drat near dead in which case it's a clear case of "You hosed up".

In most of the bossfights as a healer I didn't spend much time healing DPS, they just got my ancillary healing like AOE hots. It was the tank that actually required real healing regardless of if he was "Doing it right" or not.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Rhymenoserous posted:

Eh, in this game usually you are either at 100% or drat near dead in which case it's a clear case of "You hosed up".

I think you mean "you're either at 100% or drat near dead in which case you probably had a seizure trying to keep track of all the red and green poo poo on the ground"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

d3lness posted:

I think you mean "you're either at 100% or drat near dead in which case you probably had a seizure trying to keep track of all the red and green poo poo on the ground"

Yeah it doesn't look like fun

• Locked thread