Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
With the militant fans this game had I was pretty sure nothing Carbine could do would ever piss them off but they somehow found a way to do that.

Congrats I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people? I mean sure, realistically they were talking out of their rear end and they were never, ever going to keep that up but I remember it being a big feature when they were promoting the game and a major justification for having a subscription in the first place. Usually people get batshit mad when companies go back on their promises like that.

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Bauxite posted:

Eh, to be honest I probably would have done what they did if I knew what they did. NCSoft has been trying to get a successful western market game for awhile now, and whenever they brought their korean games to the western market they've never done well enough to justify it. B&S would have 100% done better in the western market than wildstar, but when they chose to go with this plan it was "do we localize our game and have it be yet another flop or do we fund this group of successful MMO developers to make a game for us that will be designed from the ground up for a western audience?" Remember that these devs could all put "worked on wow" on their resumes, and even if they were all canned or left because they thought the game sucked it's still got pull with people who don't understand the western market all that well.

Their Korean games do that badly? Like, right now I'm sure Aion isn't doing all too well for them in the west but at launch I remember it sold a lot of boxes.

And yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The "hire ex-Blizzard devs and get them to make something for you" strategy worked well with ArenaNet.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

People were discussing Warplots and that's a good moment to remind people that warplots were announced to the public before the actual people that would be working on them.

:v:

Is this true? This seems too stupid even for Carbine.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, Wildstar news. NCSoft's quarterly report is out and here's the per game breakdown:

According to my lovely math Wildstar made less than $2.5million in Q1 which is loving terrible.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I've been wondering. Since Carbine were making a #hardcore MMO, why did they go with the cutesy cartoon artstyle? I mean, you'd want it to look more like Dark Souls than Ratchet and Clank wouldn't you?

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

desudrive posted:

I feel ya. The only difference is that Aion never got better.

Aion was very much not a good game (still better than WildStar, although that's not saying much) but I kinda liked how CC was important in dungeons in that game.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm p. convinced that even if Wildstar becomes a decent game, the fanbase is going to discourage people from trying it again.

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Jesus, is it really too much for Carbine to give some pet that's just an existing model to these people as a prize and not pissing off the, hilariously small, userbase they have?

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
The only thing I remember about Hellgate is the intro cinematic which was great. I think I played the actual game for like 30 minutes.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Morglon posted:

Which is an outrage and counterintuitive since usually female characters are better because their hit boxes are smaller.

Do hitbox sizes matter in a click/tab to target MMO?

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Those are some seriously ugly armors. In a game that had some pretty neat outfits you think they would start with something cosmetic and fun, not generic garbage.

And each costs just under $10? I know it's Carbine and the answer is obvious but are they loving mental?

Also seems they're selling TF2 style keys for boxes. If the rewards are anything like those lovely boxes they gave out at launch lol.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
One lazy thing about Wildstar that I noticed was my male human character had an unique sprint animation but my friend's female human character's sprint was just a sped up version of their jog animation.

Did they ever get around to fixing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Some phenomenally bad and terrible games are still around due to being F2P/pay to win cash sinks, e.g. Age of Conan, so I'd be surprised if Wildstar gets shut down, especially if they have any sort of regular new "microtransaction" 6-breasted/dog dick costume releases to cater to the fetish crowd.

How is Conan still around? Is it even still getting content updates to keep people around?

Game had a legit excellent soundtrack though. Most MMOs tend to at least have good music for some reason.

• Locked thread