Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I caught wind earlier tonight that something had riled up the remaining five Wildstar fans. A little bit of Googling revealed that the game is being yanked from the shelves down in moonland which is exactly what happened to Elder Scrolls Online in their preparation for switching over to a no-sub model. This seems to be the normal progression for failed MMORPGs of late, so there's nothing surprising about that; I think everyone considered it inevitable.

No, what I discovered next is what takes this into the EXTREME zone that everyone knows and loves about Wildstar. So hey cupcakes, we heard you like lockboxes in your lovely cash shop MMOs! So we're making box copies of our game into $40 lockboxes with a random prize item in each one! Buy enough boxes to get all three items and you get a special title, so quickly run down to your local Best Buy and clear the shelves before someone else does! I can only hope that the special title is "Cash Cow".

The camel's back has just shattered with the report of a gunshot. The last bastions of true faith are currently in flames with wailing and gnashing of teeth from the people still playing, and tons of smugposts from the people who've been pointing out the downward spiral. This being a transparent ploy to clear out remaining box inventory so they don't have to refund stores is obvious enough for even the pubbies to catch on to, but there is currently debate over the intentions for the game after the boxes are gone. In order of ascending hilarity, the possibilities seem to be:

1. Buy to play conversion. Following ESO's footsteps, they're just getting rid of the subscription model boxes.
2. Free to play conversion. In which suckers pay $40 for a flying cat mount and a cardboard box when they can just get the game for free in three months.
3. Subscription-only conversion. In which suckers pay $40 for a flying cat mount and a cardboard box and still have to pay $15 a month to keep playing it.
4. Shutting down the game. I'm personally hoping for this one, just to be able to read posts from people who spent hundreds buying worthless game boxes immediately before the plug gets pulled on the servers. Thanks for the money, cupcake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I felt that the impending impact of the flaming wreckage into the sea of F2P/P2P/whatever and the fact that the devs are now just throwing out blatant cash grabs to the already-abused true believers who have been hanging on by their fingernails for the last six months was newsworthy enough to warrant the wildstar thread's resurrection. At this point all I can imagine is that there's a daily brainstorming session in their office about what they can do that will manage to actually drive off the remaining desperate fans. Next week we'll probably see an announced update where in order to fulfill wildstar's HARDCORE reputation, they're sending thugs to the homes of every subscriber to kick the crap out of them while they play. Some people on their forums will thank them for this.

It's both amusing and sad to read some of the forum posts from fans who just sound so confused that the game's financial model has failed enough to warrant switching over to a new one. But... it's such a good game! And they've been insisting for the last year that it's great and that it's doing great and it had no need to ever lower itself from the mount olympus of the 'buy the box and then pay a sub fee' model. So... so... what's happening? It just doesn't make sense... :smith:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unless they're even more retarded than I gave them credit for, credd will maintain some value after the switch. There will either be some sort of premium time subscription, or credd will be usable in the inevitable cash store. Completely devaluing the credd and blatantly loving over their current customers would have consequences that I think even they would balk at.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, that's why GW2 is rolling in the goodwill of the players and WildStar is an empty ghetto of despair. Being able to play magical pretty princess dressup online with a fairly leisurely time investment seems to resonate better with people than the 20 DKP MINUS grind. Not that people don't still manage to grind the hell out of GW2, but it's not mandatory for anyone who isn't going for legendary equipment.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

One thing that made me quit before the real problems with this game hit me is the combat system. I liked the telegraphs, but the action combat just didn't feel very actiony to me. The enemies felt like they just chased me around all of the time and I was getting hit even though the arc of their weapon swings clearly did not touch me. I was expecting combat in this game to have actual hit boxes that were more precise as well as enemy AI which did more than just stick to me like glue like they do in WoW. I don't know if it gets better later in the game or not. I got bored too fast to find out.

Back in beta I posted on their forum begging them to go play Tera and steal their combat mechanics, because Tera in space with something that isn't a generic Korean mmo setting would be amazing. The other testers replied that Tera wasn't hardcore enough because the attacks involved animation locks.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Tera and GW2 both had that style of combat before Wildstar came out, and both did it better in my opinion. What would've set Wildstar apart would've been writing, voice acting, and animation on par with what they showed in the teaser videos before the game's launch. It would've been like SWTOR's fantastic cutscenes but zany and slightly less WOW in mechanics. I think it would've done well in that space. Instead they put out poo poo like pregnant women being blown up in spaceships and questlines where your character is unknowingly poisoning a tribe of people.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mizuti posted:

What is going on with it, anyways? It seems like the game's in shambles, with problems far beyond its age.

WoW poo poo the bed for me with the pre-Cataclysm changes. I was an avid fan of pretty much all of Wrath of the Lich King, then noped out about two weeks into Cataclysm and never came back.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Deki posted:

I like how Cyster is responsible for the one part of Wildstar that is almost universally liked by people who played the game, yet is Hitler on SA because ???

Be fair, most goons are only lightly teasing Cyster, as far as SA treatments go. I've only ever seen one or two people actually sperging out at her, and they generally got told to calm the gently caress down by the other posters. I think most people just feel bad for her that her employment is hinging on this particular game.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All of the pedo conversation accounts are Franbunny desperately trying to derail the conversation from Wildstar's impending F2P Steam release.

Don't let the communists win.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

dear god is there nothing happening in wildstar news right now?

There basically isn't. The developers seem to be in lockdown mode right now; there unsurprisingly have been no comments about the game being spotted in Steam's database, no comments about the inevitable F2P/P2P conversion, and even the "surprise" they promised their players during the downtime hasn't materialized, two days later.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

It is a lot easier now that level tomes are handed out like candy.

Yeah, I've just been banking them. I'll soon reach the point where I can take a new character from 1 to 80 immediately.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

The first thing you do in Teraall MMOGs is disable global. Fixes a ton of issues.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Deki posted:

So you shouldn't play Wildstar because the community is dumb and obsessed with being "hardcore", while you should play Tera despite the fact that literal pedophilia is rampant?

I don't think I get that.

You shouldn't play wildstar because the developers are obsessed with being "hardcore". The community of all MMOs is packed to the rafters with imbeciles and deviants, that's not going to change regardless of which one you play.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If she came here and tried to defend any of Wildstar's more broken things, nobody would buy it and she'd just get a pile of crap for it. If she came here and was all 'lol yeah this sux' and the bosses found out, she'd get fired. The only way to win is not to play, etc. Sticking to light and fluffy things or statements of fact are the only things she can post without stepping on any land mines.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked ToC for the 5 player. It was simple enough that I could run it with random pubs and not be too likely to wipe, it went quickly enough that I could log in on a fairly busy day that didn't have enough time for a full dungeon and bang out the fights real fast. It was a good example of how WotLK managed to cater to pretty much every play style up until they hosed everything up with cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

You should close the thread so the goons that spent a year mocking it can make a new one to advertise their guild

The bad posting dog has a point, all of the original predictions I made have come to pass and Wildstar has taken its rightful place with STO as a F2P on life support. Now it's time for a new thread of shame where goons have to publicly admit to playing this game while desperately searching for company for their misery, while the FFXIV players keep smugposting down to them. Happy trails, terrible thread.

• Locked thread