Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I do hope they do a western release of B&S after wildstar gets scrapped. I enjoyed the combat but the translation patch only goes so far.

Oh, and I got into the wildstar alpha. Their original plan was much, much worse. That snowy starting zone for exiles? All the yeti around the crash site were originally hostile, and the environmental hazards did a lot more damage. You could get your rear end kicked right out of the gate unless you dodge rolled like mad (there was initially no cool down and you were expected to be doing it constantly).

Complaints of course let to "this is hardcore!!!1" and they only grudgingly changed it so you got eased in to things before the game started punishing you. Their hatred of players still shows in the raids.

I quit the alpha and didn't come back until late beta, where I told myself things would surely get better. :shepface:

The RP community is still going, but they're pretty much huddled in bunkers (their plots) loving like bunnies while outside the world is ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

Isn't B&S the game where the character designer is a famous hentai artist?

Yeah, thus the boobs with jiggle physics that put everyone at risk of getting black eyes by running. You can turn that and the baby oil skin off, at least.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

GW2 is getting an expansion, that's more than wildstar can ever hope for right now.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

If you missed the "shut up, it's beta, it'll get better" phase of wildstar goons, check out the skyforge thread. It's about the same.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

It's really easy for gold farmers to hack it so their characters just teleport endlessly around nodes, and Carbine can't figure out how to put a stop to that, so the bots are probably still operating just as a matter of course.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

my.com's other games are designed to milk money out of people via in game shops, with the games themselves being incredibly tedious if you don't buy in. I don't see Skyforge being any different.

The fact they've yet to reveal classes when it's already beta gives me flashbacks to WAR, too.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Anatharon posted:

You'd think but they apparently had tons of hilariously low RNG because that's how it was done back then.

They did the same thing with certain world drops, though I don't know if it was intentional to make a key spellslinger dps amp have something like a .0001% chance to drop ever. I saw one in all my time playing, on auction for a ton of money.

Yes I'm still bitter. Meanwhile you'd be buried in the same 4 warrior amps before you hit level 10.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

I didn't pay attention to Wildstar until this thread, but it's been informative because it's answered a nagging question I've had: "What would a game designed by John Waters and Tommy Wiseau look like?

There's a Skyrim mod in that vein, because of course there is.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The true believers thought Carbine had taken a bold new step in making it so warriors weren't the go-to tanking class, but really their threat generation was utterly broken until about six months after launch.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

sword_man.gif posted:

really the funny takeaway imo is that there was apparently no way to copy your character over to the ptr before this

I think there was, but they had to disable it because for some strange reason it kept overwriting the live server character with the PTR one. :allears:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

He still shows up at Eve meetups in Dallas too.

I'm guessing that leads to people awkwardly exchanging glances and saying nothing.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

sword_man.gif posted:

actually you'll find he's still well accepted in online communities due to his talents of being able to spend upwards of eight hours a day grinding in an mmo

jfc I hate mmo nerds

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

And it only took a year for them to implement companion pets. At long last, you can have pre-existing models follow you around!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

That's a pretty nice slide show of a bird.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Verranicus posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125717-the-future-of-wildstar/

Wildstar will -never- go F2P/B2P. Also, Olivar has gotten meaner than I remember.

All the true believers are a lot saltier. The game's wearing them down. Kinda sad.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

And going F2P is admitting defeat. This is supposed to be the WoW killer drat it!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

noELrunes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35pkl7/mod_post_i_will_no_longer_be_allowing_any_f2pb2p/?sort=confidence

Well theyre also sorting out posts for F2P/B2p posts so there's that too.

If/when this game does head down thst route i think it would be funny. Also is thst the same fran aka franbunny?

The one and only. She's a (self proclaimed) community leader, which says a lot about the community.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They've never even had sales, have they? Even this asinine ploy to get people to buy multiple boxes for in game crap is at full price.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

If this game goes F2P I say we have a dance party in game

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a years worth of CREDD when I quit. I think I read somewhere it's supposed to expire though, Wildstar can get hosed :v:

Yeah it goes poof after 90 days.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Just think, the server space that once housed your beloved CoH character was overwritten for this.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

panda clue posted:

I tried, but she realized she had no case and just took her toys and went home:

threatening behavior lmao

this is kinda weird, dude

like ulillillia fan weird

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

^
Yeah, the code couldn't handle it. Some hellbanned users figured out that they could make tons of posts in a thread and though most people wouldn't see anything, it'd make the forums choke as it tried to rectify what to display. That was their way of reminding people they were still around.

panda clue posted:

what the gently caress did I just google?

it's better not to know

Anoia fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 13, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I think the exile capital city has an actual dumpster fire going somewhere.

I mean it wouldn't be out of place.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

:munch:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

croutonZA posted:

I've been wondering. Since Carbine were making a #hardcore MMO, why did they go with the cutesy cartoon artstyle? I mean, you'd want it to look more like Dark Souls than Ratchet and Clank wouldn't you?

It's cheaper and easier to use a cartoony style. The game can barely handle the basic wow customization style with large groups, anything more would make it burst into flames.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Pretty much the only way any problem Wildstar has gets addressed is thanks to the thankless efforts of the true believers

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Verranicus posted:

So can they not post on the forums when maintenance is going on, or is it just a really slow day over there?

Their old (at least it probably is now) forum model required you to have an active paid subscription to post, so they probably have to take that out.

Knowing carbine, trying to change that will probably lead to them accidentally destroying the forums. I don't think any of the original tech team is still around, they replaced a lot of their staff with fresh recruits who didn't realize their pay is poo poo.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Yes, the subreddit needs active Wildstar players to mod it, because said players are great at making good decisions. Yessiree.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

B&S's combat is really fun and involves just a few buttons that rotate to new actions as you do combos, plus active blocking.

Best of all, you can do horrible, horrible things with character creation. Every race but the Amazon models and the pedo bait animal children has age sliders and an insane number of body sliders. My sword master on the Russian version was a little old lady with a wrinkled face and sagging tits, and this enraged people for some reason.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I forgot the best part about B&S: one of the universal hairstyles is a giant afro.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Playing on RP servers has made me infinitely more wary of small, cutesy races. Thanks, gnome and lalafell age players (read: pedos who try to act like playing a child to erp with is acceptable)

But even the weirdest erpers won't have that poo poo and will flood social media with warnings about such players. So people who play cat girls with dicks are more proactive about blacklisting creeps than goons.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Making fun of pedophiles doesn't really matter either, tbh.

yes, if you're not personally kicking down their doors you might as well be diddling those kids yourself.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

dear god is there nothing happening in wildstar news right now?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

noELrunes posted:

The 1% of the 1% if you will.

Ive tried telling my friens thia game sucks and ia the reason i actually went back to better PC and console gaming and ahe fires back with "dont make fun of things I enjoy"

I also quote things from this threead to fuel the fire so... :getin:

Please ask your friend what she finds enjoyable about this game cause I just don't understand.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Anatharon posted:

For a moment I thought you meant Cyster and thought "Oh, that's nice!".

It's had its down spots but it certainly has had it's moments.

Speaking of WildStar being bad, I remember someone mentioning but not elaborating that there was a critical flaw with the flight path system. What was up with that?

Which was a big problem because everyone apparently walks really slowly and needs to use their limited sprint meter to get anywhere. :v:

also mounts had a sprint so you had to constantly press that key to get decent speed

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oh that reminds me: the flight paths were taxis with robo cabbies that would say various bits of small talk that were pretty cute and made the trip a little more fun.

They accidentally made it so everyone in the area the cab passed over could hear the sound bytes too. They stopped being cute after you heard the same joke a thousand times while questing.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Hasn't mmo pvp kinda fallen by the wayside in general ever since mobas got big?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

Indeed. Let us assume raids age like fine wine *rides into sunset on a cloud of farts*

*sheds a single tear*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

Next thing you know they'll be giving out hundred-dollar dolphins to try to bring back players who had quit, ala Archeage.

Just wait...

And isn't that vanity pet just a regular mob with some random poo poo tacked on?

• Locked thread