Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So it's been like a year and a half since I asked in the beta "why does this game run like absolute horseshit on a high end PC when it looks worse than WoW?"

Did they ever actually optimise the game like their kept claiming they would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wrath was the best wow ever got.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The problem with GW2 is they made an MMO and not a cool skill based multiplayer thing like GW1 was.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stanley Pain posted:

Huh? It's plenty skill based if you're hardcore enough for it :q:

skills as in you could make a build specifically to destroy FotM builds instantly in the cool multiplayer PvP Turtle Game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lol at the first guy going to Riot.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
TB made a 30 minute video decrying the casualization of WoW and quitting forever.

Then it turned out he'd literally done zero of the raids and only two of the hard mode dungeons.

You'd think a 23 year old law graduate with an IQ of 155 would be less of a baby.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bacontotem posted:

CoH had one mechanic I wish other MMOs would steal in pvp. Tank taunts actually worked against players.

WAR had this but the effect was different per tank class.

The dwarven one would cast the taunt, and would gain a stacking damage buff as long as there were enemy units near him that weren't attacking him.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Chomp8645 posted:

If anybody misses Warhammer: Online I suggest you look into Elder Scrolls Online. Cyrodiil is basically WAR reborn with one enormous lake instead of many smaller ones and minus the horrendous mismanagement.

If it doesn't have collision between players and bright wizards/chosen then no deal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Counterpoint:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pierson posted:

Lot of people getting really mad about this one, Warlords of Draenor has been a clusterfuck. Will be interesting to see the Q2 numbers.

I've heard 5 Million from people I'd probably trust about a month ago.

Remember WotLK peaked at 12 million

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

RottenK posted:

people always talk about WoW subscriber numbers dropping but i think that having several millions of paying customers is pretty good for a game that's so old, especially since it's no longer the only edible fish in the pond

A publicly traded company feels the same way about losing 6 people out of 10 people playing their game (wildstar/Nexon) as losing 7 million of their 12 million (WoW/Activison)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Yeah, WoW's never gonna Die, but it'll sure as poo poo be "dead" in terms of players at some point soon unless they really buck their ideas up.

FFXIV's 3 month patch cycle has really dropped a huge load on Blizzard's work pipeline for being, still, 5~ times bigger subscriber wise.

WoD was really, really good until you got to the end game which consisted of absolutely loving nothing, and had one of it's two patches be content cut from the original release of the expansion.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kelp Plankton posted:

when WoW does it, it'll kill like two or three other MMOs instantly because people will just go to Free WoW

What other MMOs will it kill? No one's making them anymore because it's a dead genre. They're all making MOBAs (and even that trend is dying out)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tenzarin posted:

In WoW, they have main characters killing big bads because you are not super lore character. They don't make the player character out to be some kind of god, and they address all the players in the group.

They did in WoD, though. You're literally the commander of the army taking the fight directly to the big bads since you're so awesome you ended numerous other campaigns.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lemon King posted:

Nope. Stephan Frost never worked for Blizzard, until now.

I'm glad after all these years you still have that avatar.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Flesh Forge posted:

How the gently caress has Blizzard never gotten around to doing this? That's kind of astonishing.

The first bag slot is hard coded at 16 slots and would break the entire game if changed.

I'm not kidding.

Ten years of shithouse spaghetti code is a wonderful thing.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mizuti posted:

What I meant is that the game's developers think that EQ1 logistics and TBC attunements are good and valid game design in 2014-15. They don't seem to distinguish the value between a tough but doable fight and one that is deliberately skewed to make the players suffer.

Wildstar advertised itself as having huge, difficult, awesome raids that would be clear on how to improve if you messed up, but players discovered the end product's "challenge" was unfair and plain unfun. Instead of fights that were genuinely engaging, they were weighted to be grindy as hell or even literally impossible.

Then when they beat them, the Devs re-tuned the fights to be harder.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Silent Fang

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Did they ever fix the performance issues in this game that looks like a truck stop toilet?

I was told by a developer on this very forum those issues were just because it was in beta and not because the game was poorly made trash by a bunch of mewling idiots.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
60fps is too modern they just wanted the game to feel like 2004 WoW

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I had a 770 and it couldn't keep a constant framerate over 45 in 90% of the areas I played in in the beta, which was two areas because the game was bad.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wow, they got the whole dev team on the couch.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"Actually I am very strong and powerful at rogue PVP and you are wrong about them" - caydiem "silent" fang

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Al Borland posted:

You know its really gonna be good when the devs describe their game as "really awesome world" and "really awesome stuff". I mean that just shows such verbose feelings for the game.

their Free to Play FAQ/Get Started guide is full of memes from 8+ years ago.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
They're gonna fire people to pay for new servers for players who are gonna quit in a week.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cyster posted:

So I stopped commenting on it and let it go.

Funny, letting it go seemed an awful lot like blanket banning of literally anyone who said the words silent fang on the entire official forums. Which happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
There's reports that the launcher for the game has constant crashes and also uses 20-30% cpu time.

• Locked thread