Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RottenK posted:

i'm glad that Brad McQuaid's career crashed and burned

In all honesty I'm surprised Carbine didn't try to pick him up. What else would aide the ever wonderful Wildstar more than THE VISION?

I got the Humble Bundle with the Wildstar key and figured, since I last tried it a year ago, maybe give it a shot; I never bought the game so the key actually gave me 30 days.

They added a level 10 dungeon back in February called the Protogames Academy which is intended to teach you the basic mechanics of handling Wildstar dungeons and all that other poo poo, and holy gently caress I thought getting LFR people in WoW to pay attention to mechanics was like herding cats, but this is somehow WORSE.

The second boss of the dungeon introduces the concept of 'gently caress you' telegraphs, in that there are pillars that spin slowly while shooting fire; the fire deals a crapton of damage to your piddly rear end, and deals it per second. Getting grazed by one can almost half your health. At the same time, the boss is channeling a 20-30 second spell that will instantly kill everyone if it goes off, and has 3 Interrupt Armor, requiring that you hit it with 4 interrupts. Meaning if two people die, you basically have to wipe and start over; there's no in combat rez at that level, as far as I know.

But once you interrupt her the first time, she teleports across the field, and a new set of telegraphs come up that scroll across the ground like this:
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-
-> -> ->
<- <- <-

The telegraphs are big enough and fast enough that you can't really dodge roll past them, you have to play Frogger with them, with no safe zones. Jumping over them hurts, and they deal more damage than the first set of telegraphs. Interrupt again, teleport again, now you have to deal with BOTH sets of telegraphs. So you have to hope at least four people survive all three phases or else you're starting over from scratch. So if someone is lagging, you're pretty well hosed, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of latency forgiveness.

The one time I did the dungeon I think the group wiped 6 times, we lost someone, and sat in queue for 15 minutes to get someone else. The bosses afterwards weren't as 'gently caress you' hard as that one, but they were tougher than anything I've done in WoW yet. And this was in the loving newbie tutorial dungeon. They don't even spell out 'interrupt her or you all die,' they just say something like 'you have to remove their interrupt armor to stop a spell cast!' The game also taunts you when you die. Like, 'You did a great job dying, cupcake! Now why not make it permanent next time?'

Healing is also a bit of a pain, at least as a spellslinger, since there's no target heals like in WoW or any other MMO ever. Your heals are a frontal cone or AoE and you have to line up your allies to heal them or shield them. Which means if you decide to hit a big CD heal just as your tank dodge rolls out of a telegraph, you wasted it. Or if the DPS is running and jumping around like crazed monkeys (but not actually to avoid telegraphs,) you might not be able to actually heal them through damage.

I also sat in queue at primetime one night as a healer for a dungeon/adventure/shiphand, and ended up watching the entirety of Blues Brothers while waiting for it to pop. At least I got to level my architect poo poo. :v: I even made buddies with a tank, queued with him, and we were in line forever just to find DPS.

The game itself doesn't seem THAT bad right now, but I don't see it doing too hot later on if they've got two megaservers and the PvE one is pretty much dead right now. The game still gets crippling lag spikes, has some bugs I remember from beta (like these robots you have to activate in a lake in the Exile zone, where they spawn floating and can't be interacted with because I guess the trigger involves them being near ground,) and I sure as gently caress wouldn't have wanted to spend money on it this past year.

It feels like it has potential to be a halfway decent timewaster if it can just run off its idiotic community and fix its mindset, but since I saw people in zone chat bitching about people playing on the Humble Bundle free key who were 'taking advantage of Carbine's generosity' and getting riled up to MOBA levels of yelling and arguing, I don't see that happening.

e:
Look at how exciting this poo poo is, son. A max level player has to wait on cooldowns to do the loving newbie tutorial dungeon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plrOpjZhEw

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

WarLocke posted:

That poo poo is ridiculous for the first dungeon in the game.

Why the gently caress are they so married to the multiple 'interrupt armor' bullshit?!?

What gets me is that player is max level and in what I assume is pretty good gear, and it takes them over a minute to beat the first boss of the newbie tutorial dungeon. And that was mostly because she had all the interrupt armor removal she needed and was doing huge chunks of its health per swing; she didn't have to coordinate with four other idiots to interrupt so his spell didn't instantly kill her, and I DO think it's just set to do your health as damage, since each time it would do exactly as much damage as I had health, even with food buffs; so it's likely that fucker was tuned to where it could kill the level 50.

It took MUCH longer for a group of the intended level and gear to do that. The guy shielded up three times for us, and each time it taught a new 'gently caress you' mechanic the game has. It showed you the tether one, where you'll get snared, but there's also one where you get knocked down and have to dodge roll to get up in time to avoid a telegraph centered on you, and one where your weapon is knocked away and you have to run and pick it up.

The entire video is 15 minutes and that's basically nothing but bosses. About, what, 3 minutes per boss, roughly? With a level 12 group, I think my run was an hour and a half.

I've not done many of the dungeons or adventures, thanks to the lack of a population and horrendous queue times, but the shiphands have been pretty simple and pretty fun; the first one was mentioned earlier in the thread and was the only reason I even decided to try the game, cause the 50's sci-fi theme sounded amusing. And yeah, it's a bunch of mutated goblins rampaging on an asteroid that are going to be sent to invade the planet, and you get to hop 50 feet in the air and shoot 20 of them at a time.

The second one was pretty much the plot to Alien, but cupcaked up. One of the audio logs you pick up has an NPC saying he's so happy he's only two days from retirement and can go back to his pregnant wife, two kids, and his loving golden retriever, and the only thing he has to do now is go pick up some eggs for study from a cave. There was also some guy wondering why the gently caress they kept getting sent to check in on missing people when every time someone reports in and the call ends with them screaming. They're trying so hard to be funny and make fun of sci fi stuff, but it tries too hard.

It also has a big problem where you'll go into an area for one quest, do the side poo poo there, and then go turn it in and find out, oops, you were supposed to pick up THESE quests, too. The questing hubs aren't near as streamlined as in other MMOs, and once you get to the capital city, there's no strong sense of what the gently caress you're supposed to do next. There's also nodes that claim to require the Farmer tradeskill, but it was either never implemented or removed, and it is never spelled out to you that you just have to attack the plant/fruit to harvest it, since every other loving node requires you to interact with it via some tool that requires a tradeskill of some sort.

e: This was a recommended video after the Protostar Academy preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284gxrE8fo

"NUMBER TEN: SUBSCRIPTION SYSTEM" and the guy bitches about free to play, lol

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 2, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

I can't believe the flame obstacles + time limit before boss needs to be interrupted that John Dyne described starting at 3:33. You do not make new players do something that complex and unforgiving!

Keep in mind this isn't release content. This was patched in months later after it was abundantly clear that the HARDCORE! model failed and the game was flailing. It's like they want to fail.

Sadly, since she's level 50, you don't get to experience the sheer joy of the game's announcer taunting you for dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk

But yes. This content dropped maybe 3 or 4 months ago, I think late February, before the quarterly report was even released, though Google says it was teased back in October. :v:

And honestly, WildStar's approach makes me think more of the reaction to EverQuest during Gates of Discord. See, before one of the expansions, Planes of Power, there wasn't really any quick way around the massive world the developers had built. Druids and wizards could teleport people to different centralized locations, but these tended to be sort of a ballpark landing and still required you to run across zones and past aggressive monsters to get to cities. With PoP, different stones were added in areas very close to the main cities that let you could click on to be teleported to a central hub, which let you travel between cities safely and quickly. Obviously, this was Very Bad and people threw shitfits about things being easier.

After this came the Lost Dungeons of Norrath, which was another sticking point for the grognards who were furious about the changing of THE VISION, because it introduced personal, most of the time randomized instances for groups to quest through, versus the old school method of calling camps and dealing with trains of NPCs and other nonsense. Then Gates of Discord dropped, and the playerbase reacted badly to it. This was when Furor left EQ, and moved to help test (and later develop raids for) WoW.

Gates of Discord brought in the same poo poo that WildStar did. It had impossible, overtuned content and tried to be a little more like EQ originally was, because that's what the vocal players had wanted, but in execution, no one liked it. And people who had been asking for it turned their noses at it and went elsewhere, to try to recreate the turd they didn't realize stank so much.

I might be misremembering some of this but EQ around this point was a loving mess. Which hey fits WildStar to a T.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

I thought those remarks about the game insulting you for dying were an exaggeration. This is what happens every time you die in the game? A voice taunts you to stay dead with "witty" lines? :psyduck:

Yep. Same announcer for when you level, too, just in case you weren't already sick of his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6j04OGUpRI

The game misunderstands 'quirky' and just pours it on thick.

Unrelated, I'm not sure whether I like or dislike that they have the auction house split up. One NPC lets you access weapons, armor, and other equipment, and the other lets you access trade goods; it's done as buy and sell orders for trade resources, sort of like how the Steam market works. So you can put up a buy order for 20 iron chunks for less than they're going and might actually get some over time to save money.

Confused the gently caress out of me the first time I went up to the massive crowd of idiots sitting around the AH and I couldn't find any iron with the NPC I used.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 2, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Flesh Forge posted:

Everquest was a phenomenally lovely game. Even one of the relatively pleasant classes like Druid was appallingly terrible and playing a Warrior (which I did) was so hatefully lovely I just, I can't even, I

gently caress

There there. You're safe now. You won't ever have to figure out stupid [quest prompts] ever again.

I played a cleric and I spent an asston of plat buying that loving fishbone earring so I could sit at the bottom of a stupid lake and wait for an idiot goblin to spawn. WildStar could only dream of being as bad as EverQuest.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Flesh Forge posted:

In EQ I played an ogre warrior and some highlights were:
- Not being able just to travel through any zone that was level appropriate (and even most gray trash would demolish me) without people to hold my hand
- being kill on sight to 2/3 of the population and having to farm literally thousands of gray gnolls for faction (with no area damage either!)
- Having to wear armor that looked like cow poo poo (not even kidding) until I was able to farm large bronze plate
- Large bronze plate was only found in a particular dungeon (Najena) filled with pit traps designed to leave you stuck deep inside the dungeon
- Dying while swimming somewhere or other and losing a full set of gear permanently (remember that stuff I had to farm?)
- Being totally at the mercy of every other person in the team to not be terrible, or I died
- Not being able to set my own bind point in case I did die, which I did, frequently; just about every other class except rogue and monk could and at least rogues could sneak/monks could feign death
- Not even being all that great a tank, compared to paladin or shadow knight

I'm pretty sure Wildstar is super lovely and all that but I really doubt it holds a candle to the astoundingly hateful experience Everquest gave anyone dumb enough to play Warrior and stick with it past the newbie area.

To expand on this, EverQuest was one of those games that was such a product of its time. Having such a stark divide between good and evil and all that was neat and all, but it meant certain races were just plain hosed. With the XP penalty they got, and how far out of the loving way they were, trolls and ogres just had a poo poo time, and their cities sucked. This was the map of the main continent in EQ, Antonica:

Ogres started in Oggok, Trolls in Grobb. All of those zones between there and the other cities were typically the leveling grounds for people in their 30's and up, and none of the attached zones got you farther than 10 or 15. You also didn't have as many groups (and groups were ESSENTIAL for EQ) because people got the gently caress out ASAP, especially since Trolls and Ogres didn't really get any healing classes. There were also city guards that patrolled the roads, and if you were an evil race near a neutral or good guard, that high level rear end in a top hat was gonna charge you and gently caress you.

THIS was the armor he was stuck with:

You can see on the map where Najena is there, and it wasn't a very low level place, and EQ didn't warn you about traps; it was pretty well a giant Gary Gygax adventure in its old days, with illusionary floors that would drop you to your death. You had to read a guide or follow someone who knew their poo poo, or you'd get hosed. And before I think either Luclin or Planes of Power, you needed a caster to sit down, remove a spell to memorize Bind Soul, stand back up, and cast it on you so you would return to that spot when you died. SoL or PoP, I don't remember which, added NPCs called Soulbinders you could trundle up to and have them bind you.

EQ strongly suffered from old school caster supremacy. The warriors were sacks of HP and not much else, and you were spamming taunt to get threat since you had gently caress all else to use, whereas SKs and paladins could cast spells specifically to build threat. Later on, they got reworked to have other abilities and such to not be total sacks of poo poo, but SKs and paladins kept their spot as Kings of Tanks.

I was friends with one of the big guys in the EQ community back in the day, a comic artist named Woody Hearn, and he pulled some strings and got me a lifetime sub to EverQuest. I can still log in and get my loyalty rewards and poo poo but man who the gently caress even plays the game anymore.

But yeah, Wildstar learned to hate from EQ. EQ was the granddaddy of hating the player, because it pretty well copped directly from old school Dungeons and Dragons.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

Yep. This right there was the cause of a lot of MMO woes, and some of it still plagues the genre today. Mechanics were pulled straight from pen and paper games without modifying them to be suitable for a multiplayer computer game. Stuff like day-long cooldowns for important abilities, outdoor raid bosses, and harsh death penalties didn't translate well to most entries in the genre.

It still cracks me up how even the best loving resurrection spell in EQ back in the day only restore like 85% of your XP, and how they added a corpse summoning spell for necromancers to keep people from being wholly hosed over, but cost about 50 platinum per reagent to cast, where each plat is 100 gold coins. I think you could get one platinum coin per kill in High Hold, but I don't strictly remember, but I DO remember that with the cheaper version of the spell, the reagent couldn't stack, but the one where the reagents were 65 plat each COULD stack. Reading up on it now, getting your corpse back gets you a 96% rez, which means you STILL lose some XP when you die.

Man, I'm already playing Wildstar, now I'm wondering how EQ is after being alive for almost two decades. I used to have a necromancer who did baking and brewing and I'd sit outside in the commonlands and sell my food and beers to people. I remember a guy getting creepy on me and wanting my 'dark elf cherry pie,' even though I was playing a loving dude. :gonk: There was also an ogre who kept crouch walking backwards at me and exclaiming about me fitting in his rear end. I don't think I sold much food there after awhile..

Good times.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but were one of those reagents a coffin and didn't it take up an entire bag slot?

Indeed it did. And that was for the original, level 39 version of the spell that's been in since vanilla. They later added one that had a stackable reagent, but before then, necros were lugging a full size coffin for the gently caress of it.

onesixtwo posted:

Everquest was awesome.

My 56k modem once disconnected while I was zoning into the ocean zone on a boat. When I came back, the boat was gone and I was naked on my bind point. It took me a good five hours to swim to the bottom of the ocean to find my body, drag it to shore, and get a return boat out.

Sometimes you could log in, take 2 hours to find a group without knowing the pubbies you recruited are pants on head retarded. You spend an hour crawling through the dungeon to break into your camp. On your first pull, the puller grabs too many, someone goes linkdead. You all die, corpses now in the bottom of the zone. You lost 8 hours of XP grinding in a single pull, and now need to crawl back to your corpse naked or have someone assist with clearing for you and dragging back.

You've now played for 5 hours, and have lost experience. Your entire group rage quits except the worst people.

We kept a waiting list for camps on my server. This waiting list was passed from group leader to group leader. You had to get yourself on the list (for popular camps) days in advanced because, yes, people waited that long for a chance to spend 12+ hours in a single room killing the same rotating spawns in the same order.

If you joined a group in a high-level camp, you were expected to be around for AT LEAST four hours. Anything less and you would never get a group with those same people unless they were friends. Often times camps would set a minimum 8 hours commitment.

After 8+ hours of sitting in a single camp, you might have seen the named NPC spawn once. He probably drops his trash loot. When he finally spawns and drops the good item, someone ninja loots it and quits immediately.

My paladin had max swimming very early on because I was always dumped off the boat. EverQuest had skills for EVERYTHING, and if you had low swimming your rear end was slow and useless in the water. I think it drained stamina quicker too the worse you were at it.

Every spell school had a skill. You could cast a healing spell and have it fail because you hadn't raised the school enough. Getting hit by enemies could also move you backwards; this meant if you got agro while casting, an enemy could hit you and knock you back and gently caress up your spell.

For its time, with nothing else out, it was loving amazing. Huge world, 3D first person combat, basically D&D the video game, relentless enemies that chased you across the world and could shove you around if they hit hard enough. By modern standards it's a lovely game but man, back then, being able to actually pull and handle fights was amazing. There weren't very many gimmicks back then, if I remember; everything was pretty much a straight up tank and spank with DPS going nuts, healers setting up a Complete Heal rotation so there was always a heal flying at a good time, and at one point the developers realized sitting and staring at your spellbook to get your mana back was a loving bore so they added a goddamned Tetris minigame using your spell icons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFeSnvYXFU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

WarLocke posted:

I played a Cleric. 80%+ of my time in game was literally me staring at spellbook, watching healthbars on the side, popping out to heal, then back to spellbook.

gently caress that poo poo.

That's why you made friends with an enchanter.

Or played a necromancer. LIFETAP. LIFETAP.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mayor McCheese posted:

Except for UO. The greatest game.

My cousin started in UO, I started in EQ. He loved that loving game and I can set his nostalgia off hardcore just by saying 'vendor buy the guards a bank' or 'corp por' and he will go off for a loving hour about all the ganks he did in the game, how much fun it was having a house by a portal and shooting people from his porch, and all kinds of other poo poo.

I had the most fun with that game on private shards. He ran one and talked some kid at high school into playing it, and kept loving with him by spawning balrogs and other poo poo off screen, possessing them, and walking into his field of view while he was mining, standing there, and then chasing him while yelling the guy's name like it was supposed to be a script.

Old MMOs were pretty much just MUDs with pictures.

e: https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com%2FVgCEweF.jpg&v=5X1gC3BLq2w

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Was the lovely spot for ogres and trolls in eq the reason alliance were so popular at the start of wow? People not knowing if blizzard was going to gently caress over horde like eq did to those similar races?

Nah. Oddly enough a lot of people don't like playing what they perceive to be the villains, and in Warcraft (and fantasy media in general) the orcs and trolls were generally the bad guys. They changed it a bit with WC3 but yeah, you still were on the same team as the jungle cannibals and the zombie cannibals.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

i am tim! posted:

As I understand Warriors were the best main tanks for large scale raids, where the raw specialization was more valuable. In any other situation where you DON'T have two of each class buffing away your weaknesses, the varied kits that Paladins and Shadow Knights are way more useful.

So at the end of the day, you still needed somebody to level this horribly boring third rate tanks to max cuz the other guys just won't cut it for the end game.

This is the truth of it. Warriors had NO extra threat generation outside of weapon procs, but were gigantic sacks of HP that could take an extra hit or two before dying, which meant the healers could keep their rotation right without worrying about emergency top offs. SKs and Paladins had spells they could use to gain threat and generally keep better control of a fight with, whereas the warrior just stood there and hoped his Short Sword of the Ykesha proc went off enough, while hammering taunt.

In regards to being sacks of HP, if I remember right, it was Furor Planedefiler (Foror in EQ) who was the first player to break the complete heal HP limit; complete heal, for a good amount of time for the spell, was ALWAYS a complete heal, because it healed for a set amount of HP that they figured no one could ever reach. Then someone hit it and a CH didn't fully top them off.

But regardless, I don't think warriors gained ANYTHING to help with tanking until the Alternate Advancement system was added, when they added tomes to give abilities like 'provoke' that did nothing but add hate to the threat table.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

boho posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about MMOs, it's that trying to keep up with cutting edge content -- namely raids -- will always be utterly miserable poo poo.

This is true. I saw top end poo poo in EQ a handful of times and it was the old 'kill billions of trash mobs for hours on end to get an attempt at a boss for a few hours before you have to clear again,' at least in the Planes of Power era.

All of my favorite stories were just from experiencing the world. Sitting at the commons as a dark elf necromancer and selling drinks and pies to people, getting my fat troll SK rear end stuck in a chimney while goofing off and having the GMs pretend I was Santa Troll and get stuck with me, just generally goofy poo poo that had little to do with 'kill mobs, loot belts, give belts to NPC for experience and coin.'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
No, the trash had drops, too.

Man, I used to know all the gods in EQ and a lot of the drat lore. If it had one thing going for it, it was it had a big loving world and all of the deities seemed to actually have a place everywhere and had a lot of lore intertwined with them. I did love how they'd have events to permanently change zones thanks to story, like Nektulos forest, I think it was? Between the commons and the karanas.

Also, I remember most of the gods having a pretty cool depiction. Except Rodcet Nife, the god of healing, because he looks like a loving sectoid from X-Com with a toga.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

WarLocke posted:

That was the only big change that I remember though?

The dark elf zone was changed a bit, if I remember. Some of the changes were temporary, unlike Kithicor; some Kunark zone was changed when Firionia Vie's forces took over for awhile and made a beachhead against some monstrosity there, I think related to the Planes of Power storyline.

I think they learned that permanently loving with a zone to make it appeal to high level players was bad, so they were temporary from then on.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pierson posted:

[*]Everything except maybe the AH was in the garrison so there was never a reason to go to the main cities where in every other expansion the playerbase actually gathered together.

You actually can get an auction house if you have the trading post at level 2, but it's a long, involved quest to get all the parts that involve getting drops from literally everywhere in draenor, including raids, dungeons, garrison invasions, and the ever beloved Ashran. And then they're random zone drops that can come from any monster in the zones; you needed about twenty drops to make the drat thing.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/garrisons/buildings/guide-to-the-garrison-trading-post#auction-house

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

'Girls like fashion and DDR and collecting dumb poo poo, right? Well there you go, coerce your girlfriend with this condescending poo poo.'

Also yeah, my wife and I prepurchased WoD pretty much for the free level 90 boost, and the only reason she plays the game is because she roleplays. If I could convince her to just move to a MUD or MUSH or even just IRC I could save us 15 bucks a month. :v: I've cancelled my sub multiple times through WoD, but there really isn't a lot to do in the drat game if you aren't chasing achievements or other little things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Metrohunter posted:

also jfc these EQ1 stories are making my sock drawer overflow with poop just from reading them

I recall a time when my guild was trying to clear one of the planes, I can't remember which, and I went to bed at like 10 PM cause I was a young teenager. School was out the next day, and I got up and we were still clearing trash, so I was able to get in on the god kill. They had someone holding loot on corpses (with accounts shared between guildies so they could log in and take over with the loot holding without risking the corpse decaying) and had been waiting to see if any people who went to bed wanted any of it.

Oh, yeah, EQ had it so if you looted the corpse and didn't move away from it, no one else could loot it, because after you looked it had a timer to where it would become open loot, and then the corpse would just disappear if you left it alone long enough. So people would be designated to hold the corpses so the other groups could get loot from it or whatever, because it had no loot system. You just went to the corpse and clicked on the poo poo you wanted and it bound to you. Sometimes you'd have loot ninjas hovering around the corpse, waiting to click it to steal loot when the master looter backed away to let someone else take an item they won by /random 1 100.

Most loot wasn't tradeable either, at least from the raids; that may have changed later on but I know in Kunark and Velious it was like that. You had people designated to hold the corpses, as well as people who would just pull monsters or drag corpses back to where people could be resurrected. NPC pathing was ridiculous, too, as someone metioned; sometimes the zone was coded so badly that the NPC wouldn't think there was a straight line to you, due to a change in elevation or even textures clipping together wrong, and would bolt off in another direction to make a convoluted loop to you. Pets had it even worse for whatever reason, and yeah, most NPCs had pets just because it made them more difficult to fight.

You could also move faster by running diagonally. It was either a similar glitch with the terrain or something about combining the two movements that made you move fast enough that you could lose NPCs who were of normally equal speed that way. There was also a huge quest chain in Velious that took a lot of loving work and items that if you hosed it up you had to start over completely, and someone could steal your work if they knew the right way to do it.

I may be wrong on the Ring quest one, though; I never finished mine but I heard horror stories.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pierson posted:

Here's a question for old-timers: Before WoW, when EQ was in its prime, did you ever think it would be beaten? Or did you think about it the way we thought about WoW for the last decade; an unstoppable juggernaut that other MMOs would smash themselves against?

EverQuest was the king of the hill back in its day, and there WERE games that came out claiming they'd be the EverQuest killer. And then all of those failed and EQ slipped quietly into the night when WoW bust onto the scene.

I think Shadowbane even claimed to be an EverQuest killer. I wish there was a wiki page for 'games that claimed they would kill EverQuest.' There were SO many games out back then and during the mid to late 2000's, the market just got hit with a deluge of them and some ones that seemed they'd be decent were offed because they had to compete with WoW, or were released during a time when they MMO market slice wasn't big enough. Earth and Beyond, Tabula Rasa, Matrix Online.. just a poo poo ton of MMOs that wanted a slice of the pie but didn't know how to compete. I'm probably one of the few people who actually played MXO and I kinda liked the combat.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cyster posted:

However I did regret not reading the thread for a while and thus was unable to give a nod to John Dyne -- there was a lot of solid criticism there, including some stuff I'm responsible for, and I appreciate that.

I don't even remember what I've said. :v: I got derailed onto EQ and other MMOs.

I'm still playing Wildstar on the free 30 days I got but I haven't levelled much since it seems to throw so much poo poo at you at once around the time you get to the capital city, and my warrior I made to try out tanking hits like he's wielding a pool noodle rather than a huge rear end sword. With him feeling so weak and my spellslinger not having a clear idea of what the gently caress I should be doing, I've just done crafting until I ran out of money and mats. :saddowns:

I do also feel the game has just too few people, except maybe at max level. You'd think with people doing the trial and trying to get back in you'd have people doing poo poo but outside of Thayd I don't see many people in the levelling zones and it doesn't feel like anyone is queuing for adventures or dungeons. In the almost-month I've tried the game I've gotten two queue pops.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Caught in WildStar, no escape from banality.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Nothing says 'thriving community' like a caption contest with only 46 comments.

Yes that is apparently the best screenshot the guy could get.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

John Dyne posted:

Nothing says 'thriving community' like a caption contest with only 46 comments.

Yes that is apparently the best screenshot the guy could get.

In 4 hours it's only gotten 40 more likes and 30 more comments.

Here's some of the comments, because these will obviously be treasures of wit.

""I believe in Pumpkin the Chua. He makes delicious spook-tacular meals for us!" -Pumpkin the Chua"

"He's saying, "I can't believe all the trolls that are sick in the head, hating on the game but having nothing better to do than troll the game they hate. I also can't believe all the people still asking if the game will be f2p. If they are too lazy to do a tiny bit of research, this game is way over their heads." Pretty sure that is what I see in his eyes..."

"Surrender? (backflip) HEADSHOT!"

"i had an cute aurin in honor to my mon when i was paying subs, i will return when game goes f2p hope not p2w, "

"Man, these guns are so cool, I wish people actually played this game and I could shoot someone with them!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Saxophone posted:

Jesus. I had 140 likes on my engagement announcement and I have like 500ish Facebook friends? That is abysmal on a spectacular level.

Wildstar itself has 250k likes, which is potentially 250k people following their Facebook page.

SW:ToR has 2.4 million.
LotRO has 500k.
DDO has 150k.
Neverwinter has 400k.
EVE has 250k.
ArcheAge has 220k, and their last post has 5k likes.

Abysmal is an apt term for it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Chomp8645 posted:

If we as a society have reached the point were facebook likes are used a legitimate measure of business success then I hereby motion that we all kill ourselves and shuffle off this dead gay mortal coil.

It's become one of those weird little metrics and I think it's positively stupid, too; I guess it's meant to reflect that more people support and enjoy that product/business more than anyone else. I run small business and it turned out to be one of those little things we wanted to focus on, having friends and family and business friends like and share our poo poo so it reached more people.

It turned out that it works as some pretty cheap and effective advertising if you can successfully engage with the people who are following you, to remind them, 'hey we're here please involve us in your budget, also tell your friends so they give us their money.'

Blame it on the internet and people doing little research beyond 'oh this one has a higher number than the other.'

But yeah lol Wildstar has less likes than fuckin' Neverwinter

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
lol at 'IT GOT YOU GEAR' while they nakedly ignore the fact dungeon drops were absolute crap at worst and minimal sidegrades at best.

Oh and Wildstar won some stupid award for 'most anticipated MMO in 2015' in China. I don't think they had a lot of competition.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
There was crafted gear that was better than the dungeon drops from the dungeons required for attunement. Most of the gear in dungeons was horribly itemized and not worth a drat compared to some of the easier poo poo you could get. You did the dungeons to attune for raids, but they didn't gear you for said raids.

e;fb

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
One of the teaser images to entice you to sign up is a bunch of people running from a raid boss to avoid a bullshit mechanic.

Sign right the gently caress up for more of this!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Zerilan posted:

Wow this is just so visually bland.

You can't tell from the still image BUT THE DARKER RED SPOTS GET BIGGER

I'm guessing it's one of those 'you are going to blow up get away from other people blowing up or ELSE' kinda attacks but who knows, it's seriously like 5 seconds of animation to entice and/or tantalize you.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Oh hey you can have sprint on by default with infinite endurance when not in combat. Neat.

I don't see why anyone ever would think it's a good idea to have the players moving THAT much slower.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Seriously I can get the trilogy of resistances but most of that can be simplified down to less than HALF that. I mean, one stat (Intensity) is directly countered by ANOTHER stat (Focus Cost Reduction) and it isn't even like player against player, it's the player trying to keep their own loving bloat down!

Intensity increases the output of healing (like support power does) but also increases the focus cost, so.. I get that it's power at a price but that's just pointless. This is just going to result in some stats being outright shunned or ignored.

I do love that they're adding a stat that WoW loving dropped because no one gave a poo poo about it and it turned out to be pretty pointless. Great job, guys!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Oh boy, I got a closed beta key! And then I try to go to Wildstar.com and find out that for whatever reason it's free and fuckin' Carbine hasn't snatched it up, which is beyond weird.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

LoG posted:

I hate that I know this but it's wildstar-online.com

Yeah I know. It's just weird they don't have Wildstar.com.

e:

LoG posted:

nm im dumb

lol

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

LoG posted:

You caught me quick draw mcgraw. It's late and I'm tired.

I'm downloading and installing the Wildstar closed beta client. I think we both know who is coming out better in all of this.

e: Hahaha the link they give just downloads the WildstarPTR client without a file extension. It won't run automatically in the state it's downloaded in.

You literally have to add the .exe at the end to get it to work.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 15, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

a harpy posted:

That's really weird and dumb, BUT my PTR client downloaded, installed, and works fine. I wonder what happened to yours.

I'm not sure if it's just me even though it does it every time and other files download fine, but if someone wants to confirm the patcher file they emailed me is here.

Might just be a weird interaction with Internet Explorer, since Outlook tried it through there first. I'll try it in other browsers, but it'd be funny if it was just IE.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Gildiss posted:

Jesus, Wildstar and IE? You need to be put down for your own good.

It's required for work. IE, not Wildstar. God forbid I get a job that requires I interact with Wildstar.

It worked fine in every other browser I have, though it did initially lock up Firefox and Chrome, so it looks like it's just a dumb interaction with IE. Other installers worked when I tried them from IE, so who knows.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
That's still funny as gently caress since IE is still the second most used browser out there.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ArtIsResistance posted:

holy crap you guys are still posting?

Worse than that some of us are still playing. RIP me.

I got the beta and I've given it a run and I do like some of the starting changes they've made. It looks cleaner and I think is better for new and returning players both.

First thing on making a new character you're presented with this screen:

The first one is pretty much the full, original Wildstar new character starting experience, where they ask you to move and jump and all that other poo poo so you know the buttons, and then proceeds through the second one, which is just the ship part without teaching you to move. The third one drops you right on to the planet in your race's suggested starting zone, at level 3.

They upgraded the race select screen and I think this looks better than it did; the old one had the characters standing static on the left of the screen and showing icons in the description for what classes you can be, without spelling out what those loving meant. Unlike other games where there's some dimorphism between the opposing faction's species, it didn't really explain that these were two opposing factions, and any related lore was shoved off to the right side of the screen in a tiny scrolling box. I like this a good bit better.

From there it gives you your dude on the left, a description of the class, and a small video showing what they can do; they already had the armor preview buttons in the old version, showing your starting gear, mid-game gear, and endgame gear, and I just want to highlight how the end game gear looks.

Engineer, Esper, and Medic on the top, left to right. Stalker, Spellslinger, and Warrior on the bottom, left to right. I think a lot of it is incredibly ugly and I don't know why the gunslinger wizard class has to have their midriff exposed.

The rest of the screens for character creation haven't changed too much, and the path selection looks like the class selection; a description and a video show to explain it. Soliders fight, explorers explore, scientists study, settlers make buffs. I didn't pick settler but I think they've improved it.

How muscular you are determines how big your shoulderpad is, I guess. Seems like a silly bug, but hey, this is Wildstar.

I think this is a new change, but like some other F2P MMOs you now get an item that containers level relevant gear, and the next level's gear stipend. I got a shirt and a pair of pants. The skull next to it is a costume hat I got, not sure why, but it's a bare skull with a miner's hat. The item below it is a piece of housing décor from a boom box. I was hoping it'd be shittier.

Like a lot of free games it has daily login rewards. Day one was a survival kit which I forgot to open, but day two is a pack of service tokens, which are one of the new currencies; you use them for character customization and other poo poo. I think the Wildstar website had a full list but gently caress looking it up.

aw yeah look at that selection of clarified and simplified stats, and it's only HALF THE LIST

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah it's like that until you click on either side, or one of the two faction buttons in the middle. Then they light up and you get the other side covered up with information about the selected faction. They at least try to convey some personality with the different races like this, instead of seeing the races one at a time and just standing there like 'I AM THIS RACE, HELLO.' They're also slightly animated, which helps with the whole personality thing. The chua wrings his hands and grins while glancing around, the granok male laughs and shakes his head and rolls his shoulder; basic stuff that says a bit about how the characters should typically act.

Though I don't know why the exile human chick is looking right at the loving camera. Also the Chua does not change at all between gender selections, and I think some of the characters just don't give off ANY personality, like the granok and drakken chicks and the drakken dude. They're just.. there.

e: The male exile looks sideways at the screen, too. I dunno what's up with that.

Also, taking another look, the female armors are exactly the same as the male, so no bikini armor mercifully.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Nope. You can click the gender button there before selecting a faction or race, so you can see what they all look in each gender. I think it makes sense, but yeah you can pick chua and hit male/female and it doesn't matter, cause the button globally changes the seven other models. I don't think they note that Chua are neither male nor female but I haven't made one so who knows.

• Locked thread