Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I tried the open beta for 10 minutes and it helped me figure out that my computer was having an overheating problem. Thanks I guess Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sword_man.gif posted:

reminder that one of the dungeon silver medal times was 75 minutes, literally over an hour for a speed clear of a dungeon, and you had to hope that the servers which were notorious for making GBS threads themselves didn't do that once in that hour, and also that everyone played very well for that entire time

oops you hosed up at the 65 minute mark and wiped. start over.

Game DESIGN

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This thread made me want to go curious so I took a look at the wildstar reddit. The top story was someone posting a few screenshots where they highlighted 3 or 4 new players running around the world. That's apparently newsworthy in a mmo game.

I checked out the comments and people said its either bots or already existing players who just made secondary characters on the opposing faction to mess up their pvp queues, whatever that even means.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Archonex posted:

Though perhaps that explains one of the reasons why some of them don't want it to happen. It's hard to be a special snowflake when there are much more sociable people who can do what you do.

The MMO player's plight.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

If it goes B2P or F2P I'll log in again just to gently caress with my house. I had a sweet house. It's a goddamn shame the house is the only thing I rated as awesome about this game.

Housing will definitely be the first thing they hide behind a PREMIUM account. More decorations and housing upgrades will definitely be mega cash shop stuff.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

i bet they make it so you have to be premium to attune or some dumb poo poo too lol

they will make it so it takes like 8 months of straight grinding if you're on a non-premium account or some poo poo like that before you are allowed to do raids

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

that was the weirdest thing to me

Wildstar seemed like the perfect game to make you feel like a badass

The non boss stuff should be you clowning on mobs and doing cool stuff

instead you just used all those moves with cool AOE ranges and stuff to just fight like one or two mobs that would kick your rear end, so they might as well not even have interesting moves or an action focus combat system

The only thing missing is exp loss on death.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

if you die in the game a dev drives to your house and punches you in the face

also, you lose XP the longer you are logged out

The company only has one van though so it might take a little bit before they get to each player. Can't respawn until they hit you.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

id also talk about how the subs were pay to win while doing the raids

Subs and Non-subs people won't be allowed to raid or form guilds together.

Why stop at 2 factions when you can have 4

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

A MMO where you have to be on point with every single mob you fight or you die sounds really exhausting.

"Go kill 30 space bears for me"

*15 hours and 3 carpal tunnels later* "Finally done!"

*You are rewarded 700 exp and 300 space gold as your quest reward*

"Yessssss only 43782 more exp to go until level 20!"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

Dont worry guys we know the game is a barely playable disaster but we are saving all the good stuff for launch in two weeks

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Byolante posted:

I had my heart broken by this promise in hellgate and I will never believe that lie again.

One of the best things about wildstar being a huge fart is most of the mmo playing goons who got burned by it won't learn any sort of a lesson because they never do

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

yeah see that's the thing, they had an "open beta" and it was dogshit but "oh it's just a beta"

there's no such thing as an open beta. it's a demo called a beta to encourage that thought process.

I like that same games now have paid betas that let you buy access to demo the game.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Byolante posted:

During the closed beta I saw the game 'progressing' and saw enough by level 13 to stay well away. I feel bad for anyone who paid money for this game, but then I also feel bad for people who put money into crowfall or archage.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were still putting money into archage

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Verranicus posted:

They're getting pretty smug about a population increase in the starter zones over on the official forums, but isn't that just because of the 10-day trial + the game having essentially one server?

I think they also confuse gold farmer bots with real people.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

Are there enough people playing to even bother having bots?

I'd imagine having a bot play for you is more fun than actually playing the game

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

BERGfu posted:

I'd play with you

wildstar probably has a dedicated E-RP community so maybe we can make this work.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Having class skills/mods drop as random loot is definitely one of the funnier bad things about Wildstar.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Can anyone who played wildstar say if any of the classes were at all interesting or unique or were they just more of the same wow classes but with a different flavor

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

dude in charge of the goon guild was defending a pedophile because "well it happened a long time ago" and "it happened in iceland anyways" and then a whole bunch of the guild got very :tinfoil: that it was an Imp Zone Plot with the help of the moderation staff of the something awful forums to destroy their guild

then they tried to sneak him back in under a different name because man, i know he's a kiddy diddler, but holy crap can he generate a lot of wool. that's not sarcasm or funnyman, that was seriously why.

you had people on their offsite forums detailing elaborate conspiracies about how the mods and the imp zone were working together to destroy their guild for...some...reason besides harboring a pedophile is gross

The imp zone shadow army is watching~~~~~~~~~

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

On the other hand I read that the latest patch was causing massive fps loss to a fair number of people thanks to certain parts of their UI they re-enabled or something

how does your own ui lag your game

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

So why are people so dead-set against WildStar changing the subscription model? Is it a "filthy casuals" thing?

They think that if the game charges a subscription fee only "quality" players will play it

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The subscription thing is like when mmo players think that there should be 18+ adult only servers and that will solve the problem of mmo players being dickheads

Pay model has nothing to do with what kind of players you're going to get but they'll shout about it a whole bunch

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Things Wildstar probably has going for it:

-No login queues!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

WarLocke posted:

That used to be a thing that happened here, no? Or am I misremembering and hellbans were something else?

It was but I think it played weird with the servers or something.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

croutonZA posted:

I've been wondering. Since Carbine were making a #hardcore MMO, why did they go with the cutesy cartoon artstyle? I mean, you'd want it to look more like Dark Souls than Ratchet and Clank wouldn't you?

WoW did it

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

RottenK posted:

why do they always add this poo poo

are pedophiles really enough of a market

I see you didnt ever check out the old archeage threads

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

cthulhoo posted:

tbf shutdown can be considered an improvement in this case

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

croutonZA posted:

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

There will always be New garbage MMOs people are willing to fight to the last to defend

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I guess if you're gonna touch the poop, you might as well go all the way

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The Chairman posted:

I feel bad about them taking my joke application enthusiastically seriously, so I might as well be polite

At least they have one mod now who's smart enough to not be heavily invested in wildstar.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

If you go to the bottom of the FREE TO PLAY faq page (or any other page) it still has a huge advertisement to buy boxed copies of the game for $40.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Can't wait for goons to start claiming the game is suddenly good

"But I dont have to pay money to pay this steaming pile of poo poo what's the big deal??????"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This piece of poo poo company couldn't even figure out how to separate their live database and their public test realm databases let alone multiple different tiers of subscriptions with buyable account perks

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

lotta people who liked the game but wanted to see a lot of things fixed before they'd sub are willing to play for free while hoping it improves

also i want to gently caress around with housing more. getting cool house stuff is what im all about

or you could just play a good game

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

read back

it's already happening

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Clearly the subscription was the only thing holding it back.

The subscription payment was just an early access fee

Finally the post-beta pre-release miracle fix patch is here

The time is now

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

*Sees a train wreck on the news*

"Hunh, I wonder if they had the right idea????"

*lays down on train rails*

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is very similar to their quarterly content patches plan. I understand that Carbine is in full hype mode currently, but loving come on. Do they ever loving learn that big promises like this backfire when you don't deliver?

Actually you can promise whatever you want because most mmo players are too dumb to stop playing a game that doesn't deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Going free2play is just this game's way of going on life support long enough for them to figure out where the heck someone left the screwdriver to undo the clamps on the servers

• Locked thread