Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
A few weeks ago I bought a stick blender and have been enjoying smoothies for breakfast since. I started with banana smoothies and ice coffee as separate entities, but soon combined them into a complete breakfast shake, and now I'm starting to wonder what else I can add for nutritional value to make it a proper complete breakfast, I guess with a similar mindset to that soylent guy except made out of real food, not powders and supplements.

Currently my breakfast shake is more or less just this:

1 banana
1 egg
1 tablespoon coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 cup full cream milk
6 ice cubes

If I'm already caffeined up, sometimes I will swap out the coffee and chocolate for a few strawberries.

So my question is if I was going to have this every day, plus one other meal for dinner, what vitamins and nutrients are missing in that, and what can I add to it to provide those without spoiling the deliciousness. Googling around came up with flaxseed, sunflower seeds, wheatgerm and yoghurt, but I thought GWS might have some better ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

monkey posted:

A few weeks ago I bought a stick blender and have been enjoying smoothies for breakfast since. I started with banana smoothies and ice coffee as separate entities, but soon combined them into a complete breakfast shake, and now I'm starting to wonder what else I can add for nutritional value to make it a proper complete breakfast, I guess with a similar mindset to that soylent guy except made out of real food, not powders and supplements.

Currently my breakfast shake is more or less just this:

1 banana
1 egg
1 tablespoon coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 cup full cream milk
6 ice cubes

If I'm already caffeined up, sometimes I will swap out the coffee and chocolate for a few strawberries.

So my question is if I was going to have this every day, plus one other meal for dinner, what vitamins and nutrients are missing in that, and what can I add to it to provide those without spoiling the deliciousness. Googling around came up with flaxseed, sunflower seeds, wheatgerm and yoghurt, but I thought GWS might have some better ideas.

This sounds awesome. Maybe protein powder just for the extra wake up and go

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm not much of a smoothie guy but if anyone has any good recipes for energy/meal replacement bars I'd love to hear them. Especially if they freeze well.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tofu.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I used to just mix milk with acai berry juice, some banana, strawberries and maybe blueberries or raspberries. One time I tried throwing some prickly pear fruit in, It was good but there were a lot of little seeds.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

monkey posted:

a similar mindset to that soylent guy except made out of real food

Why not actually EAT real food? Chewing things is good.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Scientastic posted:

Why not actually EAT real food? Chewing things is good.

I'm not trying to replace food entirely. I like food and I like to poop. I still eat as much food as I used to. It's more like I'm replacing the instant coffee that used to be my entire breakfast with something quicker to make and packing more energy. The soylent mindset is just because I started to think "This is super convenient, what if it was super healthy too?"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
cook some bacon and eggs and slice up a tomato and leafy greens and drink some orange juice and that should be pretty good.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
I've been doing juice blends for breakfast the last month and gotta say, def feel better and its tasty to boot! Juicing isn't the same as smoothies but one of the big benefits is making a pitcher at a time and being able to pour a glass on the way out the door. I'm not a morning person...

2 cucumbers
8 sticks celery
6 apples, any kind will do
2 limes
1 lemon
bunch of kale or whatever pile of leaves you prefer
good size chunk of ginger

it keeps with no change in taste for as long as it takes me to finish the pitcher (3-4 days). I guess you could put it over ice and make a smoothie if you wanted a second appliance to clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Juicing is delicious. The recipe above is pretty solid but add a beet to it for extra beety goodness. Beets are good.

• Locked thread