Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

maltesh posted:

I wonder if It's a number of notifications thing, because I've had my own LG Watch Style since May '17, and I consider it a red-letter day if it still has charge 12 hours after taking it off the charger. That said, another possibility is that I might be accidentally sushing the crown in with the back of my hand without noticing it.

Admittedly I have set it to ignore a lot of notifications. Basically anything i would get in my phone and immediately ignore got turned off. I don't really need NHL updates on my wrist for example.

My crown is hosed though. It's at this unhealthy looking angle probably from getting hit by my hand all the time. But it still works and keeps chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If you have your watch on wifi it still gets stuff through black magic. I found that out when I forgot my phone at home one day and still got texts at work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hooah posted:

Has anyone noticed that listening to music kills their watch's battery? I'd been getting full days (again) out of my 360v2, but today I listened to a lot of music at work and it died some time after 3.

Yeah my watch gets destroyed by Spotify

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't like the iOS ecosystem but I do like my fiancees Apple Watch a whole lot. I just want a Wear equivalent ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is a Fossil Gen 5 worth getting? I still have the LG Style and it's fine for what I use it for but the Gen 5 is down to $220 at Best Buy and they've got one left. It's got more bells and whistles and power under the hood than my current watch but is it actually worth it since my Style isn't dead?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wacky Delly posted:

Fossil.com is also running a valentine's day promotion to take another 30% off. Ends up being $150ish. Which is a fine price for it.

Well gently caress. I bought Best Buys last watch earlier today. I'll take the receipt back tomorrow and have them price match it down though

Edit: according to their website that promotion doesn't apply to the smartwatches

Len fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just got my fossil gen 5. drat does 1GB of ram make a huge difference.

Yeah, the battery life is a lot better than my style too

All those people who told me in the thread "yeah but you won't get that battery life in a year" called it. Around a year and half it went to poo poo and stopped lasting 24 hours

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey Gen 5 folks, has anyone bought any of the spare chargers Amazon sells? I want a second charger but the comments on the products sound fairly hit or miss

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Facerepo is gone apparently? Does anyone know a good place to get faces?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Uncle Lizard posted:

It's the charging rings! Gen 4 had that issue, and they allegedly fixed it for the sport, which was basically gen 4.5. I have a sport and a gen 5 Carlyle. I sent in the Carlyle for repair for the charging rings starting to detach, so I was wearing my sport as a backup (similar battery life, but slower in every way). I took my sport off of the charger to find the charging rings stuck to the charger. Since it was purchased within 2 years, I get that one fixed for free as well, for a second time. They didn't charge me for shipping, and are fixing both watches under warranty, but this poo poo is ridiculous.

What do you have to do for this because my charge rings are falling off after about 6 months

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Uncle Lizard posted:

If it's within 2 years of purchase, it is covered under warranty. Proof of purchase, pictures of the issue, and of course, don't back down until you get a free shipping label. I figure, once the warranty is up, I'll just super glue the rings on, which is what they probably should do, but I'm no scientist.

What contact email/phone number do you use? I'm going to go and have Best Buy pull my receipt this weekend

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've got the issue where my rings are falling off. I need to get around to doing an RMA but it's not stopping the watch from charging yet and I've still got like a year and change before the two years is up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The charge rings in my Fossil Gen 5 are bad enough I'm going to do an RMA. What do I have to do to get them to cover the shipping since it's their poo poo that's jacked?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Every time i've gone through their online tool it tells me to ship my watch to them on my dime for a fix. but that was sometime mid last year i fought with it, maybe that's changed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

I've had it go both ways, but the only way to get them to pay shipping to get into a support chat with them. For what it's worth I've had mine "fixed" five times for that problem so far, and most times it comes back from repair nonfunctional or breaks within the first week or so.

Turns out Fossil can just do a replacement in store

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Samsung health and fitness tracking is actually really good on recent hardware. The Galaxy Watch 3 is the first device I've ever used that actually has realistic sleep tracking and by all accounts is better than what Apple can do since it uses cardio data to track cycles. The sleep score and the cycle metrics track pretty much exactly with how I feel the next day. The fitness tracking, especially the autodetection stuff, is also really good.

Add in Fitbit ecosystem on top and they could really do something nice here.

They said that they've made it easier to make wear apps and now with a top tier hardware manufacturer onboard there's more incentive to get them on there too. Seems like they are loosening the restrictions on customizations too, but that brings with it the worry that some manufacturers won't keep their devices up to date, but honestly they aren't all on the same version now anyways so it's not like that will change that much.

I'm curious on how extensible to form factors the platform will be. Like, will something like the Fitbit Ace or Charge be able to run WearOS on their smaller screen? Will Samsung be able to do a Fit? With more UI customization it seems like it may be possible. If they can get WearOS entries into the ecosystem in small devices under $100, it could be killer for the platform.

Hopefully Samsung continues their excellent trade in values this fall. I'll trade in the Galaxy Watch 3 for the Galaxy Watch WearOS and the Watch Active 2 I have for the Watch Active WearOS and be set in the wearable department. Consistent tracking between the two, one better suited for exercise and one for general wearing. Then I'll have my (hopefully updated) Ticwatch 3 Pro for times when I need marathon battery or just want a different look.

I expect my Gen 5 to be dead by then based on Fossil's build quality. No issues with it yet, but I suspect it's a matter of time.

I had one issue with my Gen 5 in the year I had it and that was the charge rings starting to fall off. It's apparently just a thing that happens because ??? I couldn't figure out how to get them to cover the shipping while dealing with their automated customer service so I just went to the Fossil store and they gave me a new one, in and out in 5 minutes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

Samsung unpacked is Aug 11th and an Amazon leak said Aug 27th for shipping.

Amazon leaked the Switch Pro lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is this going to be the year Android finally gets something on par with an Apple Watch?

no

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Even if I wouldn't use them all I'm just jealous that my partners phone has more bells and whistles and I want that

Also every AW she's got has just felt sturdier and lasted longer than my Moto 360, LG Style, or Fossil Gen 5

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I pride myself not wearing glasses, being a computer freak, that spends most of his time in front of a screen, and still has some semblance of 20/20 vision,, at age over 40. I won't be caught dead with a glasses look-a-like device. :mad:

My eyes have been bad since 2nd or 3rd grade. i feel like being into computers doesn't actually mean anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol the best galaxy watch 4 classic is gonna be 700 dollarydoos. gently caress that. saying this while wearing a Breitling worth 7 times that

Source?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Prosser seems to have legit insider google info so I think they're at least experimenting with a pixel watch.

Google assistant is already on my wife's Fitbit versa 3.

haven't they been saying pixel watch soon for like three years?

they being various headlines and websites i've seen cross my news feed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

Given how poorly the back actually stays attached to Fossil watches you'd think they'd use screws simply to prevent it from falling off constantly.

That's a feature, if the back comes off they'll just give you a new watch. It's a free trade in!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Doesn't wear for that? I know I've left my phone at home and been able to text on my watch from work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Another year another Pixel Watch "leak"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/2/22814461/google-pixel-watch-wear-os-2022-rohan

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I mean if you predict it's coming long enough you'll be right eventually. The things been a constant rumor since before the lg style and sport were officially announced

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The totally real this time I promise Pixel Watch is going to have 32gb of storage apparently

https://9to5google.com/2022/03/01/pixel-watch-colors-google-report/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

No it's happening again this time for real

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah don't Google products oopsie doodles "leak" months before reveal to start drumming up hype?

The internet has been saying Pixel Watch this year for what two or three years? The hype has came and went for me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Do any pixel watch owners regret their purchase? Like, is it a total waste of money? I had that Google play credit from p7, as well as some device cash I accumulated through the Play Store, so I bought one. Just wondering if it's a dumpster fire. Only other smartwatch I have is a 40mm Galaxy Watch 4 and I like it.

Feels snappier than my fossil gen 5 and it doesn't have charge rings that act up and fall off

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have an alarm app that syncs between the pixel watch and a pixel phone? My Fossil gen 5 did and I kind of miss being able to shut off an alarm if I left my phone in the other room

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I use this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benoitletondor.pixelminimalwatchface

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

Blech, the Pixel Watch 2 moves to pogo pins for charging, a slap in the face to anyone that might have bought an extra charger for the OG watch.

Yeah I was hoping to still get to use my chargers. But at least they're giving the watch out free with preorders. It makes the cost of the phone feel better

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised life and I'm not sure why. I put it on before I went to bed last night and popped it into sleep mode. I woke up at 67% down from 100

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I saw a couple posts where people had to do a factory reset to fix it so I'll try that when I get home

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I'm not getting anywhere near the advertised life and I'm not sure why. I put it on before I went to bed last night and popped it into sleep mode. I woke up at 67% down from 100

Len posted:

I saw a couple posts where people had to do a factory reset to fix it so I'll try that when I get home

Woke up this morning to it at 86 after the reset. That feels a lot better

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Just got a PW2, do the media controls not rewind/fast forward podcast apps?! They just appear to be disabled buttons lol

I know with pocket casts they don't, maybe with the actual Google podcast app?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha I use Pocket Casts too. Brutal.
I actually dled the Google podcast app to try and it's the same result.

After posting that I did a search and pocket casts has an app but you need to have a premium account to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MJP posted:

What's the goon zeitgeist recommendation for a smartwatch or hybrid smartwatch whose primary goal is to tell the time, show calendar reminders, and only listen to basic OK Google commands if a button is pressed?

I don't want to wear it while sleeping, I don't really need fitness/wellness tracking, and I'd like it to look like a regular old watch. Doesn't need to be waterproof as long as it can resist occasional rain or a splash.

I'm totally down to buy used/older designs. I've got a Pixel 6A and honestly I just want something that makes it easier for me to remind myself to do stuff, keep a task log, that sort of thing. Less a life-centering thing, more an ADHD functionality tool. It'd be nice if it maxes at $200ish, I'd rather have a fabric or metal mesh band but I'm OK buying those third-party.

I've got a used pixel watch I don't know what to do with. I know some people didn't like it but I really liked the watch and only stopped using it because Google gave me a pw2