Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, looks like I waited too long and now it's OOS on Motorola's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't noticed a difference. With ambient off I'm able to get two full workdays out of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stopped by Best Buy today and saw they did have a few of the 2nd gen 360s in the case, 4 total and all were 42mm. Two of them were men's all black and two were the rose gold women's.

If they would have had any of the 46mm silver, I would have snapped one up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That shouldn't be happening at all because unless your sleeves have conducting threads in them, cloth shouldn't be able to register a touch input on a capacitance display.

So, I really have no clue how this is happening or how to fix it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RMA process with Moto went smooth other than the fact that they didn't have a category under the web form for my issue (cracked back). Finally settled on "Accessories" -> "Other" since the chat person not to choose physical damage for the reason for the RMA.

They emailed me a prepaid Fedex shipping slip and I sent the watch out. It arrived at their location on Monday and by Tuesday evening I had a fedex label notification email. I noticed that the package finally shipped yesterday and this morning I got an email from Moto saying my replacement device had been shipped. Fedex says I should have it Friday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got to check out the new 360 models at best buy yesterday. They had two 42mm (one men's and one women's) on display and two of the 46mm on display (one sliver with the brown leather band and one black with the metal band.) They only have the 42mm black (with black leather band) and 42mm women's gold for sale right now.

42mm is definitely too small for my wrist, so I'll have to wait for the 46mm to come in stock. It really does feel a lot more like jewelry than the last gen, display is much nicer and it is quite a bit snappier. In all, I think I'm certainly going to upgrade as soon as I can order a 46mm. One thing that gave me pause is one of the models they had on display already had an LCD defect of two reddish spots. Of course, that defect may be why it was slotted as a display model in the first place rather than sold. But I'm not too worried about it since moto support has been great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know if I can agree with it looking the same as the 1st gen. My impressions last night were of a much improved display.

Ambient is pretty low res though, Huawei has the edge there. I really don't know if I'll have ambient turned on though. I didn't miss it on my 1st gen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/moto-360-2nd-gen-review/

Droid life has their full review up, they had this to say about battery life on the new Moto 360.

quote:

In my first few days of testing, I was actively tracking battery life, but eventually stopped because it just wasn’t an issue. Initially, I was using “always-on” mode, since that’s the most aesthetically pleasing and preferred mode, as it lets your watch screen remain on to help it keep that traditional watch look. In the first three days with “always-on” mode on, I never once came close to killing the watch in a single day. Well, day 2 I did drop to 22% at 8PM, but that because I had to factory reset the watch mid-way through the day to connect to a new phone. If you have ever factory reset an Android Wear device, you know how much battery that can eat up, since the process takes up to 30 minutes to complete and sync to a phone. Otherwise, with “always-on” mode enabled, I saw numbers of 51% and 36% remaining in the early AM hours the following day.

After testing “always-on” mode, I then switched it off for a few to see how much longer the battery would last. In the first couple of days, I was going to bed at night with 70% still on the watch. That’s kind of nuts. Motorola says it should last up to two days and I actually believe that it will, depending on your usage level.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my RMA'd 360 back today and they sent a fully boxed refurb which is nice. A fully boxed product will make it a ton easier to sell. That also means I have a 2nd charger.

Anyone with a new and old 360 want to give the official word on the old chargers with the new (preferably 46mm) watches? Moto says they won't work, some people say they do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

The tech is the same, The problem comes with the lugs not being flush with the bottom. So the back may not touch the qi surface

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about with the fitment of the 46mm on the old 360's charger. You'd think it would work fine since the lugs should be spaced further out than the band attachment on the old one.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should sell the 2nd charger with my old 360 to sweeten the pot or hang on to it. I suppose I could always wait until I get my hands on a 2nd gen, but I have no idea when that will be at this point.

Edit: As I type this, I see that my local Best Buy is claiming they have a 46mm in stock. Ordered for in store pickup, let's see if they are lying.

Double Edit: Went to the local best buy right by my office instead and picked up a silver 46mm. They just got them in last night. You wouldn't KNOW it because they have the shelves empty with no note and have them locked in a back room somewhere. But they have them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 2, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, the 46mm charges fine on the old charger. Fit isn't isn't as secure as the correct charger, but it does fit well enough to charge properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Annnnnnd I'm gonna have to exchange my new 360 as there's yellow discoloration at the edge of the screen in two spots. I sure hope this isn't a widespread flaw.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, in hoping it might go away, but at the same time I want to be sure I can return it soon enough that I can exchange it at the store rather than RMA it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That was quick, any reason why you are getting rid of it? Also, why sell it at this point when you should still be within a return window?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

uPen posted:

Mine as well, is it a common issue?

Yes. They will RMA it no questions asked.

dissss posted:

Apparently it is, especially if you have smallish wrists

I have giant wrists and mine cracked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

That seems crazy to me. My 46mm gets a reproducible 24 hours per charge, ambient on.

Yeah, here at 7pm I'm sitting at 70% battery left with ambient on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

OK, one last question about the old Moto 360 : when I flick my wrist, the screen comes on, regardless of whether I've turned wrist motions on or off in the Settings menu. That's not right, is it?

No, that is correct. Wrist motions are the ability to cycle through cards by flicking your wrist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's amazing what a modern SoC and slightly larger battery will do. Honestly, I think the power savings of AMOLED are overemphasized at this point. The LED backlight of such a small display can't consume that much more power.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can pay an extra $25 and get an advanced replacement. Otherwise, it takes about a week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My guess is the Fossil app will be similar to the Moto Connect app. You'll be able to customize included watch-faces with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kakairo posted:

Funny, I always get compliments, followed by talk of how subtle the Moto 360 is compared to that gaudy Apple Watch.

I'm at a work conference right now with close to 1000 people and I've had this conversation probably a dozen times over the past two days.

Usually a notification will come in when I'm standing in a crowd and someone just walks up and asks me about it when they see the face change.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

echo465 posted:

I like the way navigation works with the watch. My hands stay on the steering wheel, and I don't have to look down at my phone and mess with it to see that exit 234 is still 4 miles away and I need to be in one of the right two lanes.

Yeah, the navigation thing is huge. If I'm taking a longer trip, I'll take the time to mount my phone. But if I'm just trying to get somewhere locally that I've never been before that's just like 20 minutes away, the watch is perfect for giving me prompts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Being smaller and less power-hungry should allow Wear devices which are less chunky.

In reality, same size with room for larger batteries.

I mean, for stuff like watches, I don't think they are too big anymore anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

That would arguably be one of the benefits of going with a high end brand like TAG, they are most likely going to stick with supporting and making parts for their smartwatches much like they do their mechanical watches, i.e. long, long after LG and Motorola tell you to gently caress off and buy a new one.

No, TAG will ask to your spend an additional $1500 to swap your wear device out to a traditional watch.

No, this is not made up. That's the actual EOL migration plan that's a selling point for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, if nothing else, I think Android Wear can be considered a success in general. It's clearly going to be the smart platform of choice for traditional watch manufacturers and has gotten enough attention that they feel it is worth their time to field products.

Or, it could also be the last gasp of the watch industry trying to stay relevant in the 21st century.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There was always the option of them not producing smartwatches at all.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung would license tizen out.

Really though, it's the fact that they are producing them first party. I mean, I know under all of it, some ODM is responsible for the guts which are mostly the same as one of the others. However, is not a Moto 360 styled by Fossil or a Tag powered by LG. They are their own standalone products.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing the lugs do unfortunately is break compatibility with universal wireless chargers since the lugs don't allow it to lay flat anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I don't know about the 360v2, but my Fossil Q Founder is able to charge off a flat qi charge pad. It does get significantly warmer than when on the dedicated charger though, so I do not plan to do this often.

I've found that the 360 will recognize the charger, but won't actually get any charge into it. There is a visible airgap under it when laying on the lugs. You need a charger with a diameter smaller than the ends of the lugs.

uPen posted:

I'd probably actually prefer something I can plugin, QI charging is a nightmare when you're traveling.

Actually, it was really nice with the first gen since you could get a small 3000mAh battery with wireless charging built in. You could charge the watch for a week with zero wires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still love my 360 2. End the day with about 70% battery left and I have ambient on. The last update fixing the low res during ambient was really the last thing I needed for it to be perfect. Light sensor works great, always the right brightness.

Last year I felt compelled to upgrade (mainly due to the fact that I expected the back to crack again), but I'm fully happy now. Can't really see what a new gen would give me that I would want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Considering Qualcomm back in February started touting a "Snapdragon Wear" CPU that is 25% smaller and 30% better on battery, I'd agree on this. Probably anything coming out this fall will use that and will be a better buy than anything you can get now.

30% better battery life at the SoC level isn't really going to lead to that much more dramatic battery life with current display tech though.

I mean, those devices will certainly be a better buy than current gen devices, but it's all going to be incremental.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, OLED vs LCD for darker screens and power consumption is something that's been tossed around for awhile but I'm not sure it's something that truly matters anymore. Displays use very efficient LED backlights anyways and the newest generation of LCD panels are very power efficient in general. I know I've noticed no increase in idle drain with active display on my Moto X 2015 vs prior years with OLED screens.

Aesthetically, it might not be as pleasing in dark rooms due to panel glow, but I think the power draw comparisons are overblown at this point. The Moto 360 2 gets similar idle drain numbers to any of the OLED watches on the market when using ambient.

Of greater concern for a smartwatch is packaging. Any space not being used by the display and system board in the case can be dedicated to battery. So, the largest battery life increase you're going to see with display technology in regards to smartwatches right now is slimming the package down to its absolute thinnest so you can cram a fraction of a mm more battery in the same case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huawei, LG, and Lenovo have all gone on record that there will be no new watches from them this year as they feel the hardware has stagnated and nothing would be gained releasing new models.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing to be aware of is you can use the same trigger for more than one action. So, while your can't have a 1 to many relationship, you can still use the same phase to kick off more than one action. I have noticed that for Home though it can get unreliable with more than two. But two works reliably. I have mine set to turn on lights and turn on my entertainment center (using hue and harmony) by just saying "I'm home."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't really think of anything that would compel me to upgrade from my Moto 360 2 at this time. I mean, I'm glad Google is still developing Android Wear, but it's not exactly a high innovation space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My main issue with the Pixel design is the back glass. I like it from a visual perspective, but it's made out of butter, can't be replaced without replacing the whole housing, and integrates the camera lense. As a result, I'm forced to use a case for the first time for a phone out of fear of ruining the camera.

The lense and focus should be broken out similar to the flash so a crack in the back can't ruin the camera and they should have used a more scratch resistant material for the glass or coated it with something rubbery. They should also supply a glass only repair for the back at a nominal fee rather than full housing for $149.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I had no idea notifications vibrated until this post. :aaaaa:

Huh?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got as far as "non-replaceable band" in the Sport review before stopping.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Sorry no, the Watch Sport is the first and only Android Wear device with NFC / Android Pay right now.

No, there is another...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm still waiting for the avalanche of places to accept NFC payments to materialize before I worry about having NFC on a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google actually has control over the update process for Android wear. But yeah, updates are staged.